XY OU Battle at the Pantheon: Where Titans Clash

Battle at the Pantheon: Where Titans Clash

(The following is a scripture translated from the ancient Unown text that was etched onto a newly discovered plate which has been named by the Archeologist who discovered it; Prof. Rafael J. Feliciano, Director of Metagame Studies and Leader of the Ruins of Alph excavation; simply as: The Origin Plate)

“At the highest point in the world lies a battlefield where beings of lore combat one another in order to determine whose legacy deserves to remain in the Hall of Origin. These beings are known as Pokémon. Despite the hundreds of different species that strive to obtain immortality, only a chosen few will grace the Hall of Origin’s walls. They will be known as deities to those unable to comprehend the unfathomable power they possess; however, such power is not endowed upon entry into the Hall of Origin, but rather, is simply exuded from these legends through the many battles they participated in. Like hot metal that is being tempered and forged into something outstanding, these Pokémon have endured and stood victorious time and time again. To honor such a feat, their names were not only recorded in the Hall of Origin, but on the very plate you are reading now so that any being who comes across this may acknowledge the accomplishments of those Pokémon who made their respective names and triumphs immortal; even if immortality itself was beyond even their many gifts.”

“The following was one who can create magnificent instruments reflective of the chosen’s ability;
He blended all the elements together with his mighty flame, a truly gifted craftsman;
All that he made was given that finest treatment and precision; birthing items of the highest quality;
His name to all was Hephaestus, but to Arceus, he was known by his birth name, Heatran.”

Hephaestus (M) @ Leftovers
EV: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature (+SpD,-Atk)
IV: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Role: Stealth Rock Support / Special Defense Wall

Pretty straight forward support set; Stealth Rock for entry support with Protect to buy time for Leftovers recovery and to scout for any potentially dangerous moves like Earthquake on a Charizard X or Focus Blast on a Charizard Y. Lava Plume provides STAB and a 30% chance of crippling a physical attacker on a switch with Flash Cannon rounding out the set; providing a deterrent for Fairies and random Rock Types trying to switch in on Heatran not fearing Lava Plume.

"With a world dominated by the seas, its absolute power can rip the seas in two;
Demonstrating with complete clarity his drive and sheer force of will;
He is the power of the roaring tides, embodied in a vessel of white and blue;
Forever known as Poseidon, coming into life as Azumarill."

Poseidon (M) @ Assault Vest
EV: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature (+Atk,-SpA)
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Role: Offensive Pivot / Tank

Pretty common AV Azumarill EV Spread; allows him to act as an offensive pivot of this team, as well as, an offensive tank. Being able to switch into powerful attackers like Keldeo and Greninja is something this team highly values while still maintaining the offensive pressure thanks to its ability and fully invested Adamant Nature. Moves are exactly what you would expect of Azumarill, though might come off underwhelming at first, he needs to be played more conservatively than most other Azumarill.

"When the fruits of victory are harvested, nectar of the Gods is created many times over;
Its record countless of the number of foes that have come across and met their doom;
A master of wines and barbiturates, all those who convene with him are no longer sober;
He is known as the Master of Ceremonies; Bacchus, known by his comrades as Breloom."

Bacchus (M) @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature (+Atk,-SpA)
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Role: Sleep inducer / Road Block

Same deal here with Breloom’s set; which, if you haven’t noticed already completes the FWG core as the synergy between these three is quite impressive. Absolutely LOVE Rock Tomb as switches are the one thing Breloom is phenomenal at punishing. You either getting put to sleep with Spore OR you’re losing some speed which then opens up a realm of possibilities for the rest of his teammates to exploit.

"Legends say that from a mere thought from Arceus she came to be;
Her skill and valor are attributes demonstrating how she is capable;
Her knowledge knows no limits, bordering on infinity;
Athena, Wisdom personified, encompassed in the name, Clefable."

Athena (F) @ Life Orb
EV: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature (+Def,-Atk)
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Softboiled
- Flamethrower

Role: FDD (Fighting-Dragon-Dark) Slayer & Stallbreaker

(God do I feel dirty using this thing… sigh) But anyways, Clefable is excellent at what it does; which is breaking stall’s poor heart. (Not really concerned about its heart, by why speak ill of it) LO over Lefties since I really hit some KO benchmarks, especially at +1. Magic Guard is an awesome ability that only furthers Athena’s bulk allowing it to absorb Toxic, WoW, Sand, Hail and LO Recoil; what is there not to love about this ability.

"When the skies rumbled, there is no doubt who roams above;
When he flaps his mighty wings, he leaves charred earth wherever he goes;
His lighting reaches all points, even the most inconceivable depths of an alcove;
He was given the name Zeus as homage to Arceus, known to its God as Zapdos."

Zeus @ Leftovers
EV: 248 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Ability: Pressure
Bold Nature (+Def,-Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Role: Defog Support & Fly Spam Check

Yes, this is starting to look a little vanilla, but these EV Spreads are tried and tested. Good ol’ Fly Spam check, check, removes hazards, check check, and a 50% chance to OHKO Bisharp with rocks on the field while having the ability OHKO Mega Pinsir (who if Mega Mawile gets the boot might get another renaissance in usage) while being able to recover when needed, check check and triple check. Enuff sed…

"When the light is overpowered by the darkness, a pure essence is born;
Its purity knowing no bounds, seeking a means to reach its ultimate goal;
No matter how many bodies it lives crippled, no matter how many mourn;
Through a stone of immense power, Ares takes form as Mega Absol."

Ares (M) @ Absolite
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Justified -> Magic Bounce
Jolly Nature (+Spe,-SpA)
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Role: Mixed Attacker & Mega

FINALLY!!! We get to the God of War himself. Looking like an Archangel; Ares lands in the middle of battle with a fiery sword and begins sending soul after countless soul to the pits of Tartarus for where they will be judged. His ability is awesome for allowing clean sweeps as the EV spread and set are meant to take advantage of his 150 / 115 / 115 offensive splits. Sucker Punch provides coveted priority, while Knock Off provides lovely spammablity (yes I made that word up… deal with it). The last two slots are simple coverage options which are negotiable. Zen Headbutt is here for Mega Venusaur and a random Fighting type like AV Conkeldurr and Breloom who I can hit on the switch; while Superpower is here to hammer Heatran, TTar and Chansey extremely hard. In the end, the God of War remains undefeated in battle.

Thanks for reading guys and gals; if you want a team building process click on the tab below. Otherwise, thanks again and hope to see some great insight as always.

Sincerely,

Prof. R. Feliciano
Director of Metagame Studies, Smogon University, New York Campus
Director of Archeological Studies, Smogon University, Chicago Campus
Lead Archeologist of the Ruins of Alph excavation, Summer 2014
Selected: Lead Archeologist for the Cave of Origin excavation, circa Fall 2014

For this go around, with the likely banning of Mega Mawile eminent, I wanted to try out another Mega who hasn’t really seen much play, but not because its lacking power: Mega Absol.

Absol despises fighting types, so we went with Clefable, who also does an efficient job as a stallbreaker thanks to Magic Guard.

Aside from Clefable’s Flamethrower, things like Bisharp could handle both Absol and Clefable, thus we went with Technician Breloom whose Mach Punch decimates Bisharp, as well as, other annoying Steel Types and Dark Types, especially Special Defensive Tyranitar with or without an Assault Vest.

Since we got a grass mon on our team, why not build a FWG core. Breloom doesn’t like fire and Charizard Y and to a certain extent Charizard X scare the hell out of me, so why not go with AV Azumarill. Can tank a Solar Beam and respond with a Watefall-Aqua Jet combo while still making Charizard X life even more unbearable. He also can do a Play Rough-Aqua Jet combo on Thundurus-I with LO as well, so we have a winner.

To complete the FWG core, we need someone who can lay Stealth Rocks, so Special Defense Heatran immediately came to mind.

Finally someone needed to remove the hazards, so Physically Defensive Zapdos was paired with Heatran as both check each other’s respective weaknesses while simultaneously providing good Fly Spam support.

Well this is the team. Hope you enjoyed reading this RMT. Later frens ^_^

Last edited:
i know you have heatran and zapdos, but i think your team is a bit weak to raptor.

Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 288-340 (75.1 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 193-228 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 352-416 (91.4 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 236-278 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 1596-1876 (611.4 - 718.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 1068-1260 (409.1 - 482.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 400-472 (115.9 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 268-316 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 292-345 (74.1 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 560-660 (206.6 - 243.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 374-442 (138 - 163%) -- guaranteed OHKO

idk how to fix this, but i'm just here to tell you that this threatens your team.

i know you have heatran and zapdos, but i think your team is a bit weak to raptor.

Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 288-340 (75.1 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 193-228 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 352-416 (91.4 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 236-278 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 1596-1876 (611.4 - 718.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 1068-1260 (409.1 - 482.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 400-472 (115.9 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 268-316 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 292-345 (74.1 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 560-660 (206.6 - 243.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 374-442 (138 - 163%) -- guaranteed OHKO

idk how to fix this, but i'm just here to tell you that this threatens your team.
Yes, Staraptor is rather difficult to deal with...

In the end, its just a matter of making the right switches and trying to exploit it at that point. Primarily switching Zapdos in on something other than Double-Edge and threatening it with Thunderbolt if possible.

But yea... Raptor is pretty brolic...

P.S. F*CK the reduction of Zapdos from B+ -> B... all haterz -_-'

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would suggest replacing Heat Wave with HP Flying on Zapdos or give Mega Absol Psycho Cut so you can deal with Mega Venu, who gives your team trouble otherwise.

Wooooh, to be honest I've never really done TR before. And I've always felt like I suck at building teams myself so I don't know that I'm qualified for this at all but let's see if I can say something worthwhile.

Well I do agree with, Karxida above. I think that your team looks like it struggles to break down a well played Mega Veunsaur, if the thing is lacking Sludge Bomb then Athena can set up in its face but I wouldn't rely on that alone. Psycho Cut is a really solid pick for Absol, and I my own poor opinion Thunderbolt is the "weak link move" that is not required. Even though it means both Keldeo and Azumarilcan switch into Absol very safely you already have Pokemon that can "check"those guys on this team. I'm also sure Karixida's advice on HP Flying is good but I would double take on that one a little bit myself. Just becasue while that move does give you more Vuensuar killing power i don't know that it does much else for you (right? like I said I'm not good at this) it seems like a fire move is just nicer in general for nailing Bisharps that get cocky and think you're gonna Defog or Scizors and Ferrothorns and all those guys. (as Zapados has a really easy time switching into them itself, Zues alone will make those Pokemon notably more useless for the enemy in a match up with you.)

I don't know if while team rating I'm only supposed to stick to analyzing the the sets or if I can break down the actual monster selection too. But I guess my overall instinct when I see this team is to replace the Absol with an alternative mega. If Mega Absol is one of your favorites then please ignore that, but otherwise I don't know that it brings a whole lot to the team besides Dark STAB. Or that is I don't know that it brings a whole lot to the team that you could also get from a few other megas that are less frail and more aggressive. I guess here's what I see as Absols good traits here:
Dark STAB
Magic Bounce
Priority
Aggressive offensive presence that can be used for "cleaning" though not necessarily "sweeping" (unless we're talking about a super weakened team)

Your team has two priority options without Absol, more is always good but it's not like you're really priority dry. Likewise Magic Bounce doesn't bring a whole lot beside the immunities specifically for Absol. Like you already have a defogger which is way more reliable hazard control to begin with and then you also have at least 2 Pokemon that don't mind switching into Wisp, T-Wave, or Toxic. In other words removing Magic Bounce doesn't really weaken your team's ability to handle that kind of crap.

So my instinct, again, would be to replace Absol with Mega Pinsir. You get to keep you stupid Powerful priority but on a Pokemon that can now "clean up" teams just as well or even full on sweep against poorly built/ unprepared teams. Mega Pinsir provides a good amount of offensive pressure and gives you this big gleaming win condition that your team looks like it can prepare you for fairly well. As in, you already have Pokemon that can wear down, break, or incapacitate Skarm, Talonflame, and enemy Zapdos. Not to mention Pinsir removes all semblece of a Veunsaur killing issue you may have had. While Pinsir can't switch into status at all, Mega Absol is so frail that it's not like you're giving up a great pivot for something that can't switch in. And just keeping your own Pinsir in the back will make your enemy play a lot carefully with their Pinisr checks making it easier to break down the team that uses those checks more conservatively.

I really like Bug Pokemon myself ^^ but mayhaps Pinsir doesn't fit the deity theme quite as well as the Ares? Also I deem it likely I just gave you a bad suggestion anyway, lol (I just don't know how)

Anyway I think you have a really cool team here. Best of luck to you using it!

You already have zapdos, azu, and broloom to counter waters, maybe consider icebeam/psycho cut on mega-absol, for additional coverage.

beating azu 1v1 is tough, since aquajet 2hko's, while absol needs SR to do so.

Overall really good team.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Minor nitpick, but why have 248 HP instead of 252 HP on Clef? Magic Guard means you don't need to worry about SR or Life Orb damage, so there's no downside to having an even HP.

Minor nitpick, but why have 248 HP instead of 252 HP on Clef? Magic Guard means you don't need to worry about SR or Life Orb damage, so there's no downside to having an even HP.
LOL, copy paste error, used to using Unaware Clefable more often... will get readjusted...

I would suggest replacing Heat Wave with HP Flying on Zapdos or give Mega Absol Psycho Cut so you can deal with Mega Venu, who gives your team trouble otherwise.
You already have zapdos, azu, and broloom to counter waters, maybe consider icebeam/psycho cut on mega-absol, for additional coverage.
beating azu 1v1 is tough, since aquajet 2hko's, while absol needs SR to do so.
Overall really good team.
Yea, Mega Venu, aside from maybe Heatran, can run roughshod over my team, so I updated the set on Absol for the OP.

Thanks for the rate ^_^

If you're not using a special attack on Absol anymore, then you can run Jolly and relocate those SpA EVs.

Also, with azumarill, what's the difference in bulk between having those SpD EVs relocated to HP? I know AV boosts the gain from the EVs too, but Azumarill isn't Conkeldurr, it doesn't have a recovery move to use with AV, so I feel like HP investment would be more useful. Slightly less special bulk for a bunch more physical bulk.

If you're not using a special attack on Absol anymore, then you can run Jolly and relocate those SpA EVs.

Also, with azumarill, what's the difference in bulk between having those SpD EVs relocated to HP? I know AV boosts the gain from the EVs too, but Azumarill isn't Conkeldurr, it doesn't have a recovery move to use with AV, so I feel like HP investment would be more useful. Slightly less special bulk for a bunch more physical bulk.
Thanks for the catch on Absol... you are right...

Also, check out the following:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 296-351 (73.4 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 229-273 (66.3 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Despite truth in the fact that Azumarill doesn't have a psuedo recovery like drain punch or giga drain; the math backs this decision up, as you give up anywhere from 6% - 9% more damage if we invert the investment...

Hope this helps.

How much more damage on the physical end though? Is it also 6-9%? If its higher, say 10-15%, then wouldn't the trade off for mixed bulk by worth it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)