Battle Maison Discussion & Records

farranpoison if you are going for the triple battle trophy and you are going to use a pokemon that has EQ or rock slide make sure it is in the middle because it will hit all three enemies whereas if it is on the left or right it only hits two.

I know I am probably not telling you anything that you don`t already know. But just in case I want to post this.

Thinking of using this set for my Lead in Super Singles.

Smeargle @ Focus sash
Ability: Moody
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef

Stealth Rock
King's Shield / Spore
Baton Pass / Parting Shot
Spikes / Sticky Web

The idea is to abuse that the AI doesn't switch out much. So, using Spore / King's Shield to let Smeargle start racking in the stat boosts while laying down entry Hazards is brutal.

Then, once hazards are sufficiently set up, and Smeargle is a monster with his boosts, you pass to M.Kanga and proceed to kill EVERYTHING without blinking.

I haven't tested it yet, so the nature / EVs and Moves may switch, but the general idea will remain. The weaker the enemy is, the more sure I am that Kanga will be able to kill without any trouble. And, with Sticky Web down, I wouldn't have to worry as much about taking hits, since there's a better chance of me out speeding (especially with good Moody luck)
I dont think SR/spikes will do too much considering the time it takes to setup. May be worth it, if you can stall the opposing lead long enough, though, it will only affect 2/3 mons the opponent got

I dont think SR/spikes will do too much considering the time it takes to setup. May be worth it, if you can stall the opposing lead long enough, though, it will only affect 2/3 mons the opponent got
Mega Khanga is strong enough to wipe the floor solo usually. This is more to help ensure so sketchy 0HKOs and 2HKOs. Also, taking care of the opponent's focus Sash is never a bad thing. Nothing more frustrating than a glass cannon being at 1 HP and whitiling 1/3+ of your HP out because of it (thought this is usually avoided due to her ability).

Also, passing moody boosts to her is going to be a fun way to make even more use of the entry hazards. Boosted Fake out and Sucker Punch combos are brutal.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Scepticallistic if you want to consolidate your knowledge of the Maison into some sort of comprehensive post, I'd like to utilize that in either the creation of a new "leaderboard" thread or in editing the OP of this thread. This thread wasn't created with organization in mind, and we need to address this moving forward. I'd love to start this thread with a very short guide, and then a move to a leaderboard similar to the one found here.

If anyone wants to work to start collecting data about the opponent's Pokémon in the Maison, feel free to post here as well.

Lost on battle 248 so my record is 247. :)

Cobalion finished me off with a Quick Attack I was like WTF lol. If it wasn't for Quick Attack I would of won.

Short Super Triple Battle Guide
Finished at 347

Pros

1) Forgiving battles where 1 mistake will not doom your team
2) Ability to recover from AI hacks
3) Option to use any pokemon you like without hindering your streak length (as long as your composition is still sound)

Cons

1) Long Battles
2) Requires training many pokemon
3) Requires Battle Tower Items before attempting

I personally love Super Triple Battles because it involves more decision making and prediction and gives you more options for team composition. I also prefer having a full team of pokemon and the battle style is more fun entertaining to me.

My Team

(Left)

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Swords Dance

Tips
-Turn 1 Protect 50% Swords Dance 40% Equake/Outrage 10%
-Goal is to set up Garchomp and have him sweep the enemy

(Center)

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spd
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Thunderbolt

Tips
-Turn 1 volt switch 90% Other 10%
-Most of the time I want Jolteon out of the way of threats and replaced with a tankier Gyarados / Aegislash, who are also immune to Equake

(Right)
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock (never used ever)
-Earthquake

Tips
-Turn 1 Switch 50% ( to Aegislash to dodge Fighting) Rock Slide 30% Crunch 15% (on Scientist and Psychic trainers) Equake 5% (for immediate power)
-Sandstorm kills most focus sash users
-Tankiness and power are very helpful

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk
-King's Shield
-Sacred Sword
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak

Tips
-I almost always want Aegislash to survive the entire battle. This means that i use swords dance and king's shield until he is ready to finish off the last few pokemon.
-Exceptions are if I do not feel threatened by the enemy pokes or I need to shadow sneak a low HP threat

Gyarados Leftovers
Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Waterfall
-Substitue
-Protect
-Dragon Dance

Tips
- I use gyarados as a universal taunt. Many enemy pokes will try to hit gyarados for Super effective damage so I protect and sub as a stall tactic and to absorb enemy attacks.

Kangaskhan @Kangaskhanite
Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Power-up Punch
-Return
-Fake Out
-Sucker Punch

Tips
-I hardly ever use this poke as a sweeper. His main role is to fake out high threat pokes and allow other teammates to finish them off.
-He is also a Hard hitter and is very useful versus troublesome steel types.

Battle Logs:

142: MP4W-WWW-WWW2-SEQB

A lucky finish. One of several that finished with my gyarados 1v1ing the opponent.

269: KYRW-WWW-WWW2-VWA6

Another fun ending, here my Aegislash(+6) goes 1v3 against the opponent

282: FLQW-WWW-WWW2-VWA9

This fight shows the synergy that gyarados / jolteon and Tyranitar / Aegislash have with each other, allowing for clean switches, which is how my streak made it as far as it did.

347: ENNG-WWWW-WWW2-UVSX

This is where i finally lost. All bird team. I did not respect the Honchcrow sucker punch which costed me 1 1/2 pokemon. Then Braviary hit tyranitar with a OHKO superpower that I should have switched out of. Lastly, my third mistake, I did not switch out my aegislash to gyarados and Talonflame basically OHKO'd Aegislash.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Shell Smash Cloyster? It could tear holes in anything that doesn't outspeed
Barbaracle does the job better since it has Tough Claws boosted Cross Chop or EQ , a better typing, and higher base attack

That's weird. I definitely know Thunderus had Defiant when I fought Nita myself. I ran MMawile, and when I Intimidated Thunderus it activated Defiant.
The abilities are probably randomized like all the pokes in the Maison. Though a physical thundy with defiant is terrifying enough for me to not use an intimidate poke against it.

What do you guys think about Shell Smash Cloyster? It could tear holes in anything that doesn't outspeed
Barbaracle does the job better since it has Tough Claws boosted Cross Chop or EQ , a better typing, and higher base attack
Okay, hold up. I have yet to use Barbaracle in the subway, but cloyster has been extremely effective from what I've used of him. Having a 125 100% accurate stab attack with phenominal coverage is nuts with +2. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever want to use Barbaracle in the subway to begin with considering both his dual STABs and his primary coverage attack have really low accuracy. Even with the tough claws boost, Cloyster's Icicle Spears out damage barbaracle's attack significantly and the Ice-type coverage is wonderful.

I've gotten to 100 wins with MKanga + Cloyster + Aegislash and I cannot recommend him enough.

Okay, hold up. I have yet to use Barbaracle in the subway, but cloyster has been extremely effective from what I've used him for. Having a 125 100% accurate stab attack with phenominal coverage is nuts with +2. Honestly, I don't think I'd ever want to use Barbaracle in the subway to begin with considering both his dual STABs and his primary coverage attack have really low accuracy. Even with the tough claws boost, Cloyster's Icicle Spears out damage barbaracle's attack significantly.
I've gotten to 100 wins with MKanga + Cloyster + Aegislash and I cannot recommend him enough.
Lol forgot how strong icicle spear is (and it breaks sashes). Anyone know what determines the multi partner's teams?

Scepticallistic if you want to consolidate your knowledge of the Maison into some sort of comprehensive post, I'd like to utilize that in either the creation of a new "leaderboard" thread or in editing the OP of this thread. This thread wasn't created with organization in mind, and we need to address this moving forward. I'd love to start this thread with a very short guide, and then a move to a leaderboard similar to the one found here.

If anyone wants to work to start collecting data about the opponent's Pokémon in the Maison, feel free to post here as well.
Hey, I created this thread just so people can discuss their experiences about the Maison, not for collecting data. However, I don't mind at all if you edit the OP with new info ^^. I'll probably do it myself when I'll get the time Thanks for the spreadsheet Scepticallistic.

Battle #361: LKBG-WWWW-WWW2-TKDD (The lost one).

Team

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Relaxed / Frisk
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Sp.Def
- Trick Room
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Power Up Punch

Smeargle Lvl 1 @ Focus Sash
Timid / Own Tempo
- Protect
- Toxic
- Endeavor
- Destiny Bond

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Brave / Stance Change
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Sp.Def
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- King's Shield

Aron Lvl 1 @ Berry Juice
Calm / Sturdy
- Protect
- Toxic
- Endeavor
- Swagger

The strategy is quite simple and yet very risky.
The AI will try to kill Smeargle 9/10 times due to it being level 1 and can be knocked out by practically any move. This allows Dusclops to set up Trick Room. From this point on I start to take out oponnents by using a combination of Night Shade / Power Up Punch with Endeavor. Smeargle usually Destiny Bond's on the next turn and takes out the ''fastest'' Pokémon.

Last edited:
Since someone was talking about Barbaracle in the Maison, I thought I'd post since I actually used it. I used it as a lead, which is probably a bad idea now that I think about it.
Anyway, it's pretty effective, but Cloyster is probably better.
If the stats of them both are compared:
50/95/180/85/45/70
72/105/115/54/86/68
Barbaracle can take Special hits before Shell Smash, so it does better defensively overall, in addition to having more HP. It also has a bunch of coverage options. I picked X-Scissor because it doesn't get stopped by Levitate, but there were tons of other things I could teach.
Cloyster is probably more reliable, but I doubt we'd know until someone made strats for all the Pokemon and compared it to Peterko's strats from last thread.

Also damn, Eppie lost :(

I hate Super Doubles... lost 3 time in 40 highs (48, 42, 43). It's annoying how AI works after battle 40. I met 4 veteran players in a row! and the other trainners have suspiciusly the pokemon type that most damage causes to my team... I am very very angryy!! grrr haha. I'll try the Super Multi and later de Doubles again...

Congrats Eppie for that super streak! and I'm very sorry that is finished...

I suck at this so I was quite pleased when I beat Nita in three turns with the help of my Scizor's nasty Bullet Punches :D

Just lost my Super Singles streak at 315. Here is the battle video: WFJG-WWWW-WWW2-TVFK
Glaceon was a bitch with Protect and lax incense / Brightpowder. Quick Claw Ursaring finished me off when I thought I had a chance again. Probably made a mistake of switching in Durant instead of Gyarados after Garchomp died. Oh well, the strategy is kinda boring so I am somewhat glad I lost lol. I am now gonna play something more interesting in rotation, so let's see how that turns out.

edit: Copy past information about the team from the 5gen thread.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Entrainment
Protect
X-Scissor
Iron Head

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Rock Slide

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate (Mold Breaker)
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Waterfall
Protect
Substitute
Dragon Dance

Just an easy Durant team which I threw together. I chose (mega)Gyarados because her Waterfalls are unresisted with Mold Breaker which is a must for sweeper with only one attack. When Gyarados has been set-up, almost nothing can go wrong, and Garchomp will always be there when something does go wrong (it has never happened as of yet). When something goes wrong with the innitial set-up(Protect/Fake Out lead, U-Turn), I go to Garchomp to faint the other Pokemon. Most of the time I let Garchomp faint afterwards to have a new chance to get my Entrainment up.
Only had 2 hard battles, one with a Skarmory because apparently Whirlwind goes through Protect and ones against Magic Bounce Espeon who is pretty dangerous (altough Gyarados can set up on most Espeon easily, even without truant).

Last edited:
Posted this on the BW thread (Wrong thread) so I'm reposting it here ^_^

Streak ended at 110 (Super Singles, Battle Maison)
I built the team after I saw lolnub's use of Mega Gyarados as a Truant Abuser. Since there was no available Whimsicott yet I tried Liepard as the initial Taunter/Crippler. Generally my biggest problems where leads that used Curse setters that are resistant to water (i.e. Wailord, Ferrothorn - I lost to this!) and for Wailord's case is immune to Taunt (Oblivious) but was not really an issue. Maybe i'll try again after Liepard gains access to Knock Off again (5th gen Move Tutor) because of those Quick Claw Fissure Donphans (lol). Also another thing to note is that it is easier to setup with Durant even if there are critical hits because of the damage reduction (from 2x to 1.5x). Another thing that really caught me off-guard are the Fire-Type leads that uses Flame Charge on the First turn, I couldn't predict if they will be using Flame Charge next turn or try to sack my Liepard since most +2 Spe fire types will kill my Durant. The team lost to Ferrothorn with Curse, Ingrain, Rock Smash, Leftovers (praying for a Crit, didn't get one).

The Team:

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Jolly / Prankster
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
- Taunt
- Encore
- Confide
- U-Turn

Taunt and Encore to ensure that Durant can use Entrainment (avoids Protect). I chose Confide over Charm because Durant already has a high Defense and this ensures that it won't die to special attacks. U-Turn when I encounter wall leads so that Durant can abuse the last turn of Taunt (1st turn - Taunt, 2nd turn - U-Turn to Durant, 3rd turn - Entrainment). U-Turn also helped me in dealing with Magic Bounce Espeon (1st turn - Taunt, 2nd turn - U-turn to Durant (about 50% damage to Espeon, 3rd turn - X-scissor, 4th turn switch back to Liepard) since Espeon don't have moves that can OHKO Liepard.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Truant
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
- Entraintment
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Basic Truant Durant, nothing new. Maybe i need to tweak the EV's to 252 HP / 240 Spe / 16 SpD. This was my first time using Durant so I didn't really know if I used it right.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant / Intimidate -> Mold Breaker
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Protect

Truant Abuser. Mold Breaker from Mega Gyarados allows it to hit anything with waterfall. I think the choice of Mega evolving while setting up is not really necessary on switching in. I think it is better to have a form where he has a super effective attack for him to avoid using Boosting moves, but I never really got when they will try to Boost or not.

Proof:
http://imgur.com/pCKYN3M

Lost Battle Video: JESW-WWWW-WWW2-UAV4
As I stated earlier, Curse Ferrothorn is stupid.

I don't know if I will restart the streak with this team again. I might try to find a different Prankster Pokemon or Taunt User. Or I might try two sweepers, but I need to test how to go around the Pokemon with Protect since they seem to know how to fight against Pokemon with Truant abilities (attack every other turn).

Last edited:
Got to a 106 streak with M-Kanga, SD Aegislash and CB Azu. Kanga got taken out from destiny bond Froslass, switched in aegis vs cofagrigus. He used calm mind 1st turn, WoW 2nd turn then haxed me for the kill while I tried setup to get a clean kill. Azu couldnt do much aganst him and lost to WoW hax, I hate WoW ghosts.

This time I may try the truant durant tact with a sm-sash cloister with icicle spear and rock smash, prob using M- kanga for backup. Which mons should I watch out for, and is there any mon I cant OHKO with spear/rs? I fear priority, would I still onehit most mons with spear and shard for prio?

I don't know if I will restart the streak with this team again. I might try to find a different Prankster Pokemon or Taunt User. Or I might try two sweepers, but I need to test how to go around the Pokemon with Protect since they seem to know how to fight against Pokemon with Truant abilities (attack every other turn).
Klefki is a great Prankster with a lot of tools. You may have some fun trying out the key ring.

Well, my streak ended on 308. It was a bad play in my part but also a bit of a hax involved. Forgot to save the video unfortunately, but gonna explain how it went.

Vs. Zapdos/Moltres/Thundurus/Cressilia

Turn 1: Garchomp rock slides, Gengar sludge bombs Zapdos. Both at red. Moltres will-o-wisps chomp, zapdos heat waves, hit on gengar but miss on chomp. Gengar at 60%ish and chomp burned.

Turn 2: Chomp rock slides, both birds down and outcomes Cresselia and Thundurus.

Turn 3: Thundurus dark pulses Gengar, who fainted. Chomp rock slides, cress health still like 95% and thundurus only 80%. cress double teams and leftovers healing her. Pulling out MegaScizor.

Turn 4: Thundurus dark pulses MegaScizor. Chomp rock slides, miss on cress, but hit on thundurus who got crit'ed (but down to only like 45% so doesn't matter much.) Scizor flinched. cress double team again.

Turn 5: Cress protected. Thundurus dark pulses MegaScizor. Chomp rock slides on cress and thundurus (now at 25% health). Scizor FLINCHED again.

Turn 6: Scizor bullet punches Thundurus who still didn't go down and is at red. Thundurus dark pulses it which fainted it. Chomp rock slides and thundurus goes down. Cress double teams.

...and then Garchomp fainted from burn and Gyarados got toxic stalled by Cresselia.

Overall, it was a fair loss. I should of taken down that Moltres first who crippled my Garchomp. I don't know that Zapdos managed to withstand both a Rock slide + Sludge Bomb. and the flinch hax (which is like 4% for 2 flinches in a row) on the Scizor was really annoying. I don't get why Thundurus went for Scizor instead of Chomp even though the former has much better bulk. Oh well, guess that's it. It was a good run.

and grats to Eppie on that streak [:

Few battle vids:

KFBW-WWWW-WWW2-U3Q8 (No. 230)

ZPYW-WWWW-WWW2-U3RW (No. 249)

8QNG-WWWW-WWW2-U3R6 (No. 308)

BTW, here's one of Cressilia's movesets, not sure of its EVS/Natures obviously:

Cresselia
Item: Leftovers
-Toxic
-Double Team
-Protect
-Moonlight

Last edited:
Got to a 106 streak with M-Kanga, SD Aegislash and CB Azu. Kanga got taken out from destiny bond Froslass, switched in aegis vs cofagrigus. He used calm mind 1st turn, WoW 2nd turn then haxed me for the kill while I tried setup to get a clean kill. Azu couldnt do much aganst him and lost to WoW hax, I hate WoW ghosts.

This time I may try the truant durant tact with a sm-sash cloister with icicle spear and rock smash, prob using M- kanga for backup. Which mons should I watch out for, and is there any mon I cant OHKO with spear/rs? I fear priority, would I still onehit most mons with spear and shard for prio?
Just quoting myself. I may also make use of a DD moldbreaker Haxorus with protect, D-dance, ***, ***, @***. I am having a hard time deciding moves for 100% coverage. Any advice on the topic would be lovely. I know poison jab/eq would be walled by skarmory, eq/dragon claw would be walled by togekiss/ballon mawile/ballon azu/any ballon fairy (Not likely combo though, but with the AI you never know..)

Also, is there any risk to encounter any other legendary than the genies, 1st gen birds, 2nd gen cats(or dogs), Lati@s and the 3 musketeers (except Keldeo)? Would be nice to know what I could be up against if I am going for 200+ streak in super singles.

Edit: So I've found that Cress and Heathran can also be meat in the Maison. A ddance haxorus@lum berry with protect, ddance, brick break and shadowclaw is prob what would work best with a truant durant lead. Anyone that got some other tips for it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)