Other Battle Spot Doubles - First Team of unusual choices... Help!

This is my first RMT. I'm new to doubles, and haven't been battling a hell of a long time. I'm trying to make a team for battle spot doubles, and so far have been experimenting with the below team (I've played around with Meowstic, Umbreon and Heatran also. Let me know anything you can comment on - I love feedback, and would appriciate the input. Suggestions for replacements for move, EVs, items or even whole pokemon are welcome. Thanks for your time, fellow trainers. =) Snags so far include trick rooms, fairies and hard-fast sweepers.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 speed, 252 attack, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Drill Run

I chose Beedrill as a replacement for Umbreon after my team was suffering from bulky fairies like Clefable. Going straight for high attack and speed, Beedrill is my go-to OHKO-er, with Swords Dance as a nice option when something defensive comes out. Typically, he's my mega. I chose Drill Run over anything else because of electric-coverage, as well as something to hit ghosts. Only problem here is trick rooms and will-o-wispers.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP, 252 speed, 4 attack
Nature: Jolly
- U-Turn
- Confuse Ray
- Taunt
- Super Fang

Crobat is often my first into battle. With his speed, he pretty much gets an automatic confuse ray on sweepers, or a taunt on setup-ers (tanks and the like are too slow for cro!). With no investment in attack, U-turn is used to get out and super fang for chipping down opponents ready for Beedrill or Porygon. He's pretty frail, even with HP investment, but he always lasts at least 2 hits against neutral attacks. Overall, he's nice for mucking up both setups and sweepers. Black sludge is his only form of sustain, not I couldn't think of much else to give him.

Sableye Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP, 252 defence
Nature: Bold
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Will-o-wisp
- Dark Pulse

A very standard Sableye set. My team was lacking reliable bulk, and as much as I hate using overused pokes, Sableye was an obvious choice. Full investment into defence means calm mind can take up the special defence and also boost up dark pulse into something worthwhile. Recover makes calm minding a lot safer, while will-o-wisp can tackle physical threats, which my team doesn't take nicely. I was considering toxic, or torment instead however. I chose Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball simply for coverage against normal types such as Snorlax and the dreaded Khangaskhan.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 special attack, 252 speed
Nature: Modest
- Tri-attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

I like Porygon-Z as a choice special attacker just because of his lovely coverage. Having ice beam means I have some counter against dragons and landorus, and thunderbolt comes in very handy with rain teams (of which I've seen a surprising amount recently). I'm torn between dark pulse and trick, as trick can offer a way out for getting trapped in a move. Choice scarf means he outspeeds nearly everything, and I was even considering investment into HP over speed in EVs, as he's already so fast with that scarf. So far, Porygon-Z seems reliable as a form of unpredictable sweeps.

Kabutops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armour
EVs: 252 speed, 252 attack
Nature: Adamant
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

In need of something physical and a go-to talonflame destroyer, I chose Kabutops. I'm still unsure about his usefulness, but using the focus sash and weak armour combo has so far worked out quite well. Protect is nice as a form of stalling while Sableye sets up or Crobat gets off a taunt. Knock off is a bit of a surprise move sometimes, taking gengars and alakazhams by force. Only problem is, he can still get outsped after that +1 by many nasty threats - anything with prankster and toxic/willo means certain doom.

Chandelure Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 speed, 252 special attack
Nature: Timid
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Chandelure takes on the roll of a fire absorber and a Swampert masher. So far, I've seen some use out of him, and I was thinking about pairing him with Serperior or Ferrothorn, but I just can't work out how. Standard moveset, with stab moves and protect for prediction.

Thanks for your time and please let me know anything. Friendly but harsh critisism encouraged! =)

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
I would say use Terrakion>Kabutops, as it hits harder and has more reliable bulk and speed. Quick Guard can protect beedrill and the rest of your team from opposing priority and outspeeds kanga fake out.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Earthquake/Quick Guard

Athough nothing matches Porygon in terms of boltbeam it's unreliable and horribly frail. Here are some alternatives in bulk, typing , utility, and ability to run life orb>scarf.

Latios can run timid max speed max spatk, modest if scarf, and the attacks Draco Meteor, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic/Psyshock, Energy Ball.
Salamence can run timid max speed max spatk, modest if scarf, and provides intimidate support. Attacks: Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, HP Ice.
Hydration can run max speed max spatk, modest for both scarf and life orb. Attacks: Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Fire Blast, Earth Power.

All three should run Protect and possibly Tailwind if carrying Life Orb.

Beedrill should run U-Turn>X Scissor for momentum and preservation of its minimal bulk, and needs Protect>Swords Dance because it's too frail to spend turns setting up, and too frail to not run protect. It's literally threatened by any pokemon with an attack.

Crobat should run Sitrus Berry>Black Sludge, as it provides more efficient burst recovery, turning many 2hkos into 3hkos.

Chandelure should run Heat Wave>Flamethrower, as spread moves deal more overall damage and ignore follow me/rage powder.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)