Battle Spot Singles Cores

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
This has been all up-to-date but nobody has posted anything in awhile, so I'll take the time to add a very important core that's missing from this thread. I've had success with this quite a bit and it's very effective at blowing away opponents that aren't totally familiar with the format.

Sand Rush Excadrill is an incredibly dangerous threat and it's easy to find yourself unprepared for this. With doubled Speed it can outspeed even Scarf Garchomp so Adamant nature and a Life Orb is preferred to boost power as much as possible. Earthquake, Iron Head and Rock Slide cover most threats, and if you can find a chance to set up with Swords Dance that can often seal the game right then and there.

Smooth Rock Tyranitar makes this possible, since it's very difficult to stall out the sandstorm for 8 turns in 3v3. Tyranitar is also bulky enough to get another chance to set the sandstorm going a second time if it does happen. This spread is taken from a Japanese blog and hits some very important benchmarks. Maximum Speed investment allows Tyranitar to outspeed Garchomp after a Rock Tomb and KO it with Ice Punch on the next turn, effectively circumventing the Focus Sash mindgames. The bulk also allows it to take a hit from Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp and Earthquake from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, while a combination of Rock Tomb and Superpower allows Tyranitar to win against Mega Kangaskhan. Stealth Rock is mainly to allow Excadrill to win against Sashed threats since you can't really afford to wait for Sand damage to KO them at the end of the turn, and the residual damage helps in general if you can't find an opportunity to use Swords Dance. There's a ton of options for Tyranitar here though, Foul Play, Thunder Wave, Ice Beam and other coverage moves are all viable options and it mainly depends on your preferences.

Mega Salamence rounds things off by covering this core's aversion to Landorus-T and pressures it from using Earthquake or Superpower, while threatening a setup of its own. Substitute is mainly a preference and prevents status, while Return is used to avoid destroying yourself with Double-Edge recoil, sandstorm and Substitute. Double-Edge and Earthquake are options over Substitute and Roost but again that's mainly a preference. Mega Salamence also beats bulky Grasses (Mega Venusaur) as well as non-Life Orb variants of Blaziken which can otherwise tear through these two. Life Orb Blaziken on the other hand can solo this core easily, and bulky Waters can be tough as well so always watch out for those.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 60 HP / 60 Atk / 132 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

This has been all up-to-date but nobody has posted anything in awhile, so I'll take the time to add a very important core that's missing from this thread. I've had success with this quite a bit and it's very effective at blowing away opponents that aren't totally familiar with the format.

Sand Rush Excadrill is an incredibly dangerous threat and it's easy to find yourself unprepared for this. With doubled Speed it can outspeed even Scarf Garchomp so Adamant nature and a Life Orb is preferred to boost power as much as possible. Earthquake, Iron Head and Rock Slide cover most threats, and if you can find a chance to set up with Swords Dance that can often seal the game right then and there.

Smooth Rock Tyranitar makes this possible, since it's very difficult to stall out the sandstorm for 8 turns in 3v3. Tyranitar is also bulky enough to get another chance to set the sandstorm going a second time if it does happen. This spread is taken from a Japanese blog and hits some very important benchmarks. Maximum Speed investment allows Tyranitar to outspeed Garchomp after a Rock Tomb and KO it with Ice Punch on the next turn, effectively circumventing the Focus Sash mindgames. The bulk also allows it to take a hit from Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp and Earthquake from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, while a combination of Rock Tomb and Superpower allows Tyranitar to win against Mega Kangaskhan. Stealth Rock is mainly to allow Excadrill to win against Sashed threats since you can't really afford to wait for Sand damage to KO them at the end of the turn, and the residual damage helps in general if you can't find an opportunity to use Swords Dance. There's a ton of options for Tyranitar here though, Foul Play, Thunder Wave, Ice Beam and other coverage moves are all viable options and it mainly depends on your preferences.

Mega Salamence rounds things off by covering this core's aversion to Landorus-T and pressures it from using Earthquake or Superpower, while threatening a setup of its own. Substitute is mainly a preference and prevents status, while Return is used to avoid destroying yourself with Double-Edge recoil, sandstorm and Substitute. Double-Edge and Earthquake are options over Substitute and Roost but again that's mainly a preference. Mega Salamence also beats bulky Grasses (Mega Venusaur) as well as non-Life Orb variants of Blaziken which can otherwise tear through these two. Life Orb Blaziken on the other hand can solo this core easily, and bulky Waters can be tough as well so always watch out for those.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 60 HP / 60 Atk / 132 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
"Japan Sand", it's been around in Doubles since mid 2015. TTar set is really neat though.
The reactionary archetype that developed later in '15 was the Toed + Ludicolo + Mega Mence/Gardevoir core, if that's of any viability at all in Singles? If so that might be nice to add. :P
Swampert is a huge, huge threat for the whole core; Roar, SR, and possible Ice Beam keeps Mence pinned, TTar can't do jack shit, and Excadrill can't deal with it at all without a good hit from Crunch TTar or Mence's Return. I imagine Quagsire would be rather harsh as well.
All that said though, it's a really solid foundation imo. Mence and Excadrill are just so disgustingly potent together.

I'm surprised that no one ahs posted anything new recently; I guess I'll post something that has worked for me recently.

Here is my three-mon core: Garchomp, Azumarill, and Rotom-H

I originally built this core for the battle maison, but this core has actually been pretty solid in battle spot battles as well. I mainly focused on two things with this core, to be defensively sound, and to be flexible in what it could do. To the first point, each Pokemons' weaknesses are resisted by one of the other two Pokémon. This increases switch-in opportunities, which can help you win, especially since battles are usually fairly short in battle spot singles. Also, I (kind of) have answers for physical and special attackers in general, since Azumarill has the Assault Vest and since Garchomp can deal around 29% damage to opponents who attack with direct-contact moves. To the second point, this team has a whole bunch of options as to what it can do. Rotom-H can trick its Choice Scarf to cripple Pokémon like Chansey and Porygon2, and it can check several Pokémon because of its helpful resistances and added Scarf-speed. Azumarill can switch into most special attackers fairly well, and it has priority, which can help at times. Garchomp can potentially sweep the opposition after a Swords Dance boost, it can really hurt direct-attackers, and it can even help Azumarill by lowering the opponent's speed with Rock Tomb. In terms of how this would perform against the top threats, it does well against most of them if played right. However, boosting Pokémon like Mega Salamence and Mega Tyranitar could cause problems if they get enough boosts and if my Pokémon aren't healthy enough.

Here are the actual sets:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 228 HP / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower / Knock Off

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 Spe / 188 SpA / 76 HP / 24 Def (smogon's normal spread with timid nature to outspeed things like +1 Jolly Gyarados)
OR: 252 SpA / 220 Spe / 28 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpD (my personal spread with modest nature for more power and to outspeed +1 Adamant Dragonite and +1 Adamant Gyarados)
Timid / Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice

I'm surprised that no one ahs posted anything new recently; I guess I'll post something that has worked for me recently.

Here is my three-mon core: Garchomp, Azumarill, and Rotom-H

I originally built this core for the battle maison, but this core has actually been pretty solid in battle spot battles as well. I mainly focused on two things with this core, to be defensively sound, and to be flexible in what it could do. To the first point, each Pokemons' weaknesses are resisted by one of the other two Pokémon. This increases switch-in opportunities, which can help you win, especially since battles are usually fairly short in battle spot singles. Also, I (kind of) have answers for physical and special attackers in general, since Azumarill has the Assault Vest and since Garchomp can deal around 29% damage to opponents who attack with direct-contact moves. To the second point, this team has a whole bunch of options as to what it can do. Rotom-H can trick its Choice Scarf to cripple Pokémon like Chansey and Porygon2, and it can check several Pokémon because of its helpful resistances and added Scarf-speed. Azumarill can switch into most special attackers fairly well, and it has priority, which can help at times. Garchomp can potentially sweep the opposition after a Swords Dance boost, it can really hurt direct-attackers, and it can even help Azumarill by lowering the opponent's speed with Rock Tomb. In terms of how this would perform against the top threats, it does well against most of them if played right. However, boosting Pokémon like Mega Salamence and Mega Tyranitar could cause problems if they get enough boosts and if my Pokémon aren't healthy enough.

Here are the actual sets:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 228 HP / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower / Knock Off

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 Spe / 188 SpA / 76 HP / 24 Def (smogon's normal spread with timid nature to outspeed things like +1 Jolly Gyarados)
OR: 252 SpA / 220 Spe / 28 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpD (my personal spread with modest nature for more power and to outspeed +1 Adamant Dragonite and +1 Adamant Gyarados)
Timid / Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice
This looks like a good core, i should try this eventually. I mean maybe not all your sets(idk why people like Helmet on Chomp so much, or at least newer ones. Rough Skin isn't really enough reason to forego something better like cb or Sash,) but the mons.

However, you're not supposed to post in threads that haven't been posted in for a month or more. I guess if you're the OP or something, but nvm about that. I don't think you're going to get in huge trouble, especially since what you're actually saying seems good, but watch out for those dates next time. And really litttle thing, but could you always list any EVs in the order of the stats themselves? It just looks better lol.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
However, you're not supposed to post in threads that haven't been posted in for a month or more. I guess if you're the OP or something, but nvm about that. I don't think you're going to get in huge trouble, especially since what you're actually saying seems good, but watch out for those dates next time. And really litttle thing, but could you always list any EVs in the order of the stats themselves? It just looks better lol.
I know you're trying to be helpful but try not to mini-mod. Hula and I aren't going to enforce the necro-bumping rule too hard here if someone is resparking a legitimate discussion. For example this has reminded me that I've been meaning to post some cores I've been trying!

I know you're trying to be helpful but try not to mini-mod. Hula and I aren't going to enforce the necro-bumping rule too hard here if someone is resparking a legitimate discussion. For example this has reminded me that I've been meaning to post some cores I've been trying!
Right, honestly felt like that rule was a bit over the top unless it's obvious the thread is dead, so something like this or Viability Rankings should be exempt. And I've seen it broken at least once with no one saying anything so it makes sense that it isn't really being enforced.

And sorry! I thought that would be ok since ethan06 did basically the same thing, but it makes sense that hat's more ok since that's one of those project threads that dies faster. Won't happen again:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)