Battle Spot Special Season 1: Gen 6 Pokémon Only!

Avalugg will definitely see use. Barbaracle is a hard counter to talon flame, AND it has shell smash. What do you think it's use will be.

Just like to point out that you need serious defensive investment for Barbaracle to both counter Talonflame and be able to Shell Smash effectively, as most of the ones I've seen on the ladder are banded and 3HKO Barbaracle with an offensive spread.

Also be prepared for Greninja/Talonflame/Aegislash. The three are very common, although I'm not entirely sure if they're actually the most effective despite being quite immediately lethal.

What about Choice Scarf Tyrantrum with Rock HEad Head Smash? Ive been using it and switching between a bulky SR phazer with Dragon Tail. Talonflame doesnt want any of that haha

I think Barbaracle can at the very least 2HKO Talonflame, and the point was to force a switch to get a Shell Smash in. It doesn't even have to face it head on. As long as it can switch in, most talonflames go running and I get a free shell smash.

Yes, Tyarantrum is also an option, but I feel it loses some viablilty locked into one move. Isn't it's type coverage with the elemental fangs a selling point? But, whatever you think meets your team's synergy requirements, go ahead.

I'm planning my team out/breeding a couple things for it atm, and I'm pretty stoked for it. Right now, I've got SD Aegislash, Diggersby as a way of handling opposing Aegislash, Smash Barbaracle for Talonflame, Scarf Delphox (not sure if it will make the final cut or not, but I have one bred and trained etc. so I might use it), and I'm breeding for a Talonflame right now. I'm thinking Klefki for the last slot to have a decent answer for Dragon and Dark types which currently can just spam their STABs on me. Plus, priority Thunder Wave helps check all the offensive stuff available. Still, Greninja sounds like a nuisance, as well as Noivern to an extent. Assault Velt Goodra sounds great for the last slot, but I reaaaaally don't wanna have to breed both Klefki and Goomy ;; Might have to deal with it anyways.

Furfrou could see use as a check to physical threats, especially Talonflame, given the lack of Fighting types. Adamant CB Talonflame needs to be very lucky to 3HKO max HP/Def Furfrou w/ Lefties and will take a lot of recoil damage in the process. Meanwhile Furfrou can cripple it with Thunder Wave, Roar it away (which effectively kills Talonflame if SR was up when it first switched in), or kill it first with a combination of Return and recoil damage.

I'm planning my team out/breeding a couple things for it atm, and I'm pretty stoked for it. Right now, I've got SD Aegislash, Diggersby as a way of handling opposing Aegislash, Smash Barbaracle for Talonflame, Scarf Delphox (not sure if it will make the final cut or not, but I have one bred and trained etc. so I might use it), and I'm breeding for a Talonflame right now. I'm thinking Klefki for the last slot to have a decent answer for Dragon and Dark types which currently can just spam their STABs on me. Plus, priority Thunder Wave helps check all the offensive stuff available. Still, Greninja sounds like a nuisance, as well as Noivern to an extent. Assault Velt Goodra sounds great for the last slot, but I reaaaaally don't wanna have to breed both Klefki and Goomy ;; Might have to deal with it anyways.
Both are available in the friend safari, and have guaranteed max ivs in 2 stats. Plus Goomys are awesome.

Furfou looks promising. The major threats appear to be physical, so that sounds good, bar like Goodra and Noivern

Yeah, I don't have a Friend Safari for either (and Goomy blows). It's ok though. I'll probably breed both because they're just good to have in general. Just got my perfect Fletchling w/ Gale Wings, so one down, two to go~

Both are available in the friend safari, and have guaranteed max ivs in 2 stats. Plus Goomys are awesome.

Furfou looks promising. The major threats appear to be physical, so that sounds good, bar like Goodra and Noivern
Aegislash doesn't mind the Thunder Wave. He can easily get Sword dances up and then Sacred Sword the Poodle.

Edit: Even if the Poodle has Baby Doll Eye's Aegislash is getting +1 per turn, unless he gets Paralyzed.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but where did you get this information? Is it on the global link site or in game or something? and when does this event start?

All this discussion of Talonflame just blows my mind. I've never had any problems with him whatsoever with either A: Greninja B: Rotom W C: Garchomp.

Noivern, anyone? Second highest speed of all those on the list, access to Boomburst and Draco Meteor, STAB Hurricane, not to mention U-Turn.

Water Shuriken. Although, I guess you'd have to be lucky with your hit count and get a decent damage roll too.
but talonflame's still faster and doesn't have to roll dice to kill greninja with brave bird

noivern's main problem is that it dies to talonflame or just about anything that can tank a hit from it, second highest speed is pretty nice though. I'll have to play with it more but it might work as a revenge killer/cleanup crew? maybe a focus sash set.

What about Avalugg to counter Talonflame? I know it seems crazy, but Max HP/Defense Impish Avalugg survives two Flare Blitzes 61.33% of the time and OHKOs with Rock Slide, so if you have to switch it on Talonflame it kills it roughly 2/3 of the time and if you expect a lead Talonflame it always wins.

Calculations:

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 190-226 (48.22 - 57.36%) -- 38.67% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Avalugg Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 328-388 (110.43 - 130.63%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I haven't played pokemon since red/blue/yellow but this format is what I want to concentrate on for competitive pokemon (since a smaller pool of pokemon will help to get a hang of the metagame, even if unbalanced)

So far, I'm still training my team but it does seem that this format is going to have a lot of teams with the same 3 pokemon (and not a lot of room to create a team to beat them)

At least it is a start! I have trained 3 of my team so far, Talonflame, Aegilash and Greninja. Will train up the t-rex and barbacle next, diggersby also.

If anyone has any tips or good team strats I'd love to hear them!

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As everyone can tell, this metagame is definitely all about Talonflame. One thing I want to note is that in this meta I think you're a lot better off with non-cb Talon. People are going to bring one of the 2-3 checks to Talon every battle and a few of those are played around extremely easily by using either a bait set or an SD set. SDing then U-turning against Barbaracle is going to dent it pretty well. I think a lot of people are playing this by just hoping Talonflame spams Brave Bird and leaves it at that (kind of the same way a lot of people in normal 3v3 play it). Taking advantage of that is pretty crucial.

This meta is nothing more than a glorified rock-paper-scissors match.

Aegislash beats Greninja
Greninja beats Talonflame
Talonflame beats Aegislash

weeeeeeeeeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)