Rules Past Format Battle Stadium SQSA

Any move-set recommendations for Defensive Support TTar (with or without rocks)? I've been getting good mileage out of Rock Tomb and Taunt, but I'm not sure what else to run.

Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Wave. It gets Iron Defense, Body Press, and Breaking Swipe but probably not those...

EDIT: Crunch ofc lol, I forgot.

Last edited:
Would the elemental punches be better than EQ or Dark STAB? Thunder Wave seems like it would be overkill with Rock Tomb, but is Rock Tomb worth giving up for a stronger Rock STAB to be used alongside TWave?

Ttar's natural special bulk let it beat electrics w/o EQ, so I'd say punches. Dark STAB seems really important though, for the strong neutral max move too, since neutral punches won't do much.

I've never used TTar, idk if they go T-Wave+Rock Slide/Stone Edge or Tomb. I agree not both.

I first came here back in april for some advice and I'd love to hear what people might think of this team for series 10. Obviously I don't have any testing with this team yet and if you think a pokemon runs through this team I'd love to hear why. Im skeptical about the Excadrill TBH, especially in a team that looks to be a bit on the stall side and without 7 turn sand. It does a few key things like late game cleaning and revenge killing and setup sweeping and an important electric immunity that I wanted to at last test it before I wrote it off.

:Ho-oh: Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 212 Def / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Substitute

:Quagsire: Quagsire @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Recover

:Tyranitar: Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Power Whip

:Skarmory: Skarmory @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Drill Peck

:Excadrill: Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

I first came here back in april for some advice and I'd love to hear what people might think of this team for series 10. Obviously I don't have any testing with this team yet and if you think a pokemon runs through this team I'd love to hear why. Im skeptical about the Excadrill TBH, especially in a team that looks to be a bit on the stall side and without 7 turn sand. It does a few key things like late game cleaning and revenge killing and setup sweeping and an important electric immunity that I wanted to at last test it before I wrote it off.

Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Substitute

Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Recover

Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Power Whip

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Drill Peck

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
I've never seen Maranga Quagsire, does that rly do enough to patch up it's SpD? That's really all I wanted to ask, I'm not good at finding weaknesses in teams. There's 3 fire weaks, but also 3 resists so idk if that is trouble.

I've never seen Maranga Quagsire, does that rly do enough to patch up it's SpD? That's really all I wanted to ask, I'm not good at finding weaknesses in teams. There's 3 fire weaks, but also 3 resists so idk if that is trouble.
Maranga Quagsire is there as a specific tool to beat Kyogre and Zapdos. While Ttar is normally a very effective zapdos check, it becomes far less effective when zapdos has support from Kyogre. Ho-oh+Ttar is quite a good core against most restricted pokemon, but you need to make sure that you can beat kyogre teams when you're running it. It was actually discussed on the previous page when I first started looking into Ho-oh+Ttar during the last restricted season.

Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Substitute

Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Recover

Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Power Whip

Impish Nature
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Drill Peck

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
CON:
  • Ho-Oh needs work. base 90 speed and s10 additon of faster and stronger flying & fire resistors will kill Ho-Oh more than it can. S10anti-dmax format also means Ho-Oh loses it's +1 speed boost and wall breaking power

• Unaware Quagsire. there are better water abosrb mons for water absorb role

• Skarmory should get stealth rocks over drill peck. losing a STAB for it is fine for hazards setup to allow your toxic stall tactics to really wear and tear the oppenent. As a steel flying type, it has been losing ground to Celesteela and Corviknight in everything except rocks.

• Without the changes your team looks very suceptiable to Hyper offensive teams that rely heavily on urishfs and cinderence and Fast strong legends like scarf kyorge, herb Xernas and the everything Zacian.
PRO:
  • Your Sand core: Tyranitar and Excadrill

Oh, I didn't even notice it was Water Absorb Quagsire, I just never thought that would be used. Yeah, it's purpose is beating Zacian and that's really it. The Kyogre match-up is nice, but Zacian will be more common.

CON:
  • Ho-Oh needs work. base 90 speed and s10 additon of faster and stronger flying & fire resistors will kill Ho-Oh more than it can. S10anti-dmax format also means Ho-Oh loses it's +1 speed boost and wall breaking power

• Unaware Quagsire. there are better water abosrb mons for water absorb role

• Skarmory should get stealth rocks over drill peck. losing a STAB for it is fine for hazards setup to allow your toxic stall tactics to really wear and tear the oppenent. As a steel flying type, it has been losing ground to Celesteela and Corviknight in everything except rocks.

• Without the changes your team looks very suceptiable to Hyper offensive teams that rely heavily on urishfs and cinderence and Fast strong legends like scarf kyorge, herb Xernas and the everything Zacian.
PRO:
  • Your Sand core: Tyranitar and Excadrill
Thanks for your reply. It was actually super helpful as I realized my team was a bit soft to Urshifu-R. I might need to think over my skarmory slot if I find Urshifu-R to be common.

Do you mind being a bit more specific about your criticism of Ho-oh? Ho-oh is meant to counter a wide range of other pokemon that you will often see in the metagame. It does a very good job at countering Zacian, Cinderace, etc. Its good for a lot of the reasons that (defensive) zapdos is good while having more bulk+regenerator. Its a meta choice to beat the crazy amount of Zacians I expect to face. Ferothorn is a very strong check to Xerneas as it comes in on the geomancy and either forces it out losing its herb or just kills it.

Quagsire is a VERY niche pokemon to do a VERY specific thing. While I would agree that Gastrodon is in general the better water+electric immunity, it has no way to actually hurt a kyogre. Not having access to toxic is a dealbreaker for the role. Seismitoad gets toxic but not a recovery move. That leaves our little water fish pokemon to transcend tiers and do what it does best.

Skarmory is there to help shore up the physically defensive side of the team, and as such it needs to be as physically defensive as possible. It does this better than both celesteela and corviknight. While I would agree corviknight and celesteela are in general better than skarmory, skrmory does have its niche.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. It was actually super helpful as I realized my team was a bit soft to Urshifu-R. I might need to think over my skarmory slot if I find Urshifu-R to be common.

Do you mind being a bit more specific about your criticism of Ho-oh? Ho-oh is meant to counter a wide range of other pokemon that you will often see in the metagame. It does a very good job at countering Zacian, Cinderace, etc. Its good for a lot of the reasons that (defensive) zapdos is good while having more bulk+regenerator. Its a meta choice to beat the crazy amount of Zacians I expect to face. Ferothorn is a very strong check to Xerneas as it comes in on the geomancy and either forces it out losing its herb or just kills it.

Quagsire is a VERY niche pokemon to do a VERY specific thing. While I would agree that Gastrodon is in general the better water+electric immunity, it has no way to actually hurt a kyogre. Not having access to toxic is a dealbreaker for the role. Seismitoad gets toxic but not a recovery move. That leaves our little water fish pokemon to transcend tiers and do what it does best.

Skarmory is there to help shore up the physically defensive side of the team, and as such it needs to be as physically defensive as possible. It does this better than both celesteela and corviknight. While I would agree corviknight and celesteela are in general better than skarmory, skrmory does have its niche.
Thanks for lettting me on the stratgey on how the bulid works and now I understand the general aspect better after double checking with the math and possible scenrios S10 might bring.

Ho-Oh will do good against alot of the metagame as you said as long as they dont set up too much. I was only worried about the speed tier it's at as alot of mons that hurt Ho-Oh but it's bulky enough to survive and revenge kill as long it isnt something like +2 Xern or compeltey resist fire and flying attacks.

To my suprise that special wall investment on Quag does well in scernios except certain flying matchups in which I understand you're toxic stalling. I only recommended stealth rocks skarmory as you needed a better way to harass thier mons cause they can always switch in and out to reset the toxic turns.

Overall it is definately a good team for S10 and to sovle your Urishifu issues both water and dark, bring tapu fini. Most tapu fini can trade damage well with urishifu and threaten other stuff.

Hey guys, how's everything?
I have been trying to pinpoint which ability is the better one for Inteleon.
Sniper seems interesting but a little gimmicky perhaps and Torrent just seems so situational since Inteleon is a really frail mon.
What do you guys think? is one of the abilities simply superior?

Thanks!

I've definitely seen Focus Energy+Sniper. It can't set up much ofc but if it can that's something. Sash Torrent seems fine(well relatively, there's a reason Inteleon isn't that common,) but I'd go w/ Sniper. It does something if water is walled, and Snipe Shot has a high crit ratio.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 387731
I just started using Yveltal and thought physical sweeper Yveltal would be good because it is comparatively strong against Tyranitar and Xerneas. any thoughts?
Steel Wing is cute I guess, but you’re missing out on Heat Wave, Focus Blast, and even Oblivion Wing recovery. I think it can work though if you use a real physical dark move like Sucker Punch or Lash Out.

DerpySuX

I’ll encourage ya smile, I’d expect you don’t cry
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I suggest to use Focus Blast for Max Knuckle, rather than Steel Wing. You lose out on Xerneas but really that's the literal poster child(opposing box legends) of bad match-ups.
focus blast seems a bit like a waste on a physical set. If you really need a boost, baton pass from blaziken/Scolipede is probably more sensible, or you could always run weakness policy, given yveltal’s good enough bulk when maxed. However I personally believe that Yveltal is much better in its more common special sets. Taunt and max darkness makes it quite good at breaking past a lot of things in general. I don’t see a reason to deviate far from its special sets outside of experimentation

Is Bronzong viable? Looking at it for my team, explained why in RMT. It takes Landog well, even better than Steela(pretty sure,) cause rock resist. Also they might go for an EQ 1st praying ur Heatproof. It gets Max Overgrowth with either Solar Beam or Grass Knot. Good steel STAB, can ID+Body Press. Low SpA, but resists Zacian STABs and threatens an EQ.

EDIT: To the above I agree, it just seems better than Steel Wing, even If it's not good. But physical based Yveltal is a waste anyways. Aside from the stronger Sucker Punch.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Is Bronzong viable? Looking at it for my team, explained why in RMT. It takes Landog well, even better than Steela(pretty sure,) cause rock resist. Also they might go for an EQ 1st praying ur Heatproof. It gets Max Overgrowth with either Solar Beam or Grass Knot. Good steel STAB, can ID+Body Press. Low SpA, but resists Zacian STABs and threatens an EQ.

EDIT: To the above I agree, it just seems better than Steel Wing, even If it's not good. But physical based Yveltal is a waste anyways. Aside from the stronger Sucker Punch.
I’m sure it could work. I’m not gonna pretend like I know much about bronzong because I really don’t. I’ve seen bronzong a few times and have been caught out by it on occasion, my main gripe would be that bronzong loses to other popular restricted mons in Calyrex, Yveltal, and even Eternatus can prove troublesome with both the cosmic power set and the offensive sets with their use of mystical fire and flamethrower respectively. A special bronzong will especially struggle against the stall Eternatus set.
This isn’t to say that a specialized Pokémon can’t succeed, look no further than Quagsire as a testament to that, the difference, however, lies in Quagsire being a pretty fool proof switch in to Zacian, bar some gimmicks like solar blade in sun. This is an invaluable niche to have with Zacian having such a stranglehold on the metagame. Bronzong can potentially be bypassed by the odd swords dance and/or crunch, and having no recovery outside of rest/leftovers, meaning it’s much easier to wear down than Quagsire. While I agree that bronzong can be a good check to Lando T, it still loses to common mons that Lando is paired with, like Zapdos and Cinderace. It’s much easier to deal with Landorus by simply pressuring it before it can get going, rather than trying to handle it defensively after the fact.
Overall I’d say if you’re hell bent on using bronzong, it can work, but it’s not the best Pokémon for what you’re trying to accomplish.

I’m sure it could work. I’m not gonna pretend like I know much about bronzong because I really don’t. I’ve seen bronzong a few times and have been caught out by it on occasion, my main gripe would be that bronzong loses to other popular restricted mons in Calyrex, Yveltal, and even Eternatus can prove troublesome with both the cosmic power set and the offensive sets with their use of mystical fire and flamethrower respectively. A special bronzong will especially struggle against the stall Eternatus set.
This isn’t to say that a specialized Pokémon can’t succeed, look no further than Quagsire as a testament to that, the difference, however, lies in Quagsire being a pretty fool proof switch in to Zacian, bar some gimmicks like solar blade in sun. This is an invaluable niche to have with Zacian having such a stranglehold on the metagame. Bronzong can potentially be bypassed by the odd swords dance and/or crunch, and having no recovery outside of rest/leftovers, meaning it’s much easier to wear down than Quagsire. While I agree that bronzong can be a good check to Lando T, it still loses to common mons that Lando is paired with, like Zapdos and Cinderace. It’s much easier to deal with Landorus by simply pressuring it before it can get going, rather than trying to handle it defensively after the fact.
Overall I’d say if you’re hell bent on using bronzong, it can work, but it’s not the best Pokémon for what you’re trying to accomplish.
That makes sense. I didn't think about the teammates for Landog besides the obvious one convenient for me to consider, Lapras. Ace and Zapdos aren't the worst to me but any big Airstreamer is bad enough. Bronzong's ice resist is valuable, for I'm weaker to it w/ Landog(particularly Freeze-Dry as I have a 2x and 4x weak mon besides.) But there must be something better that meets the criteria(not just those 2 there's more sadly.) I agree it's bad vs. restricteds, even some Zacian. It has a little 4MSS too fwiw.

Good people still reply here. BSS has been very dead of late.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

That makes sense. I didn't think about the teammates for Landog besides the obvious one convenient for me to consider, Lapras. Ace and Zapdos aren't the worst to me but any big Airstreamer is bad enough. Bronzong's ice resist is valuable, for I'm weaker to it w/ Landog(particularly Freeze-Dry as I have a 2x and 4x weak mon besides.) But there must be something better that meets the criteria(not just those 2 there's more sadly.) I agree it's bad vs. restricteds, even some Zacian. It has a little 4MSS too fwiw.

Good people still reply here. BSS has been very dead of late.
The discord server is where most active people are right now. I suggest joining there if you want to discuss BSS stuff lol

Why is Uxie ranked on the series 7 viability rankings? What small niche does it have, and why is it usually not worth using?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)