Tournament Battle Stadium Premier League V - Commencement Thread

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1582768288294.png

COMMENCEMENT THREAD
Welcome to the fifth installment of the Battle Spot Stadium Premier League! This is a team tournament where managers draft their team from a pool of players, and the teams face each other playing various Battle Stadium formats. The top teams will continue on to playoffs and eventually one will come out as the BSPL V Champions! The champions will get a special role in the Smogon Battle Stadium discord and bragging rights!

Basic Info:
  • All games are going to be held on Pokemon Showdown and general tournament rules apply.
  • Each week, teams get the following points depending on the result: Win = 2, Tie = 1, Loss = 0
  • Teams with equal points are ranked according to their differential (# of sets won - # of sets lost)
  • Teams that are completely even at the end of the season for a playoff spot will face each other in 3 sets: one format is selected from each team and the third set will be Gen 8 Battle Stadium Singles
BSPL V schedule:
  • Manager Signups: March 9 - 15
  • Player Signups: March 9 - 21
  • Draft Auction: March 22 (will be scheduled further so all managers can attend)
  • Week 1: March 23 - 29
  • Week 2: March 30 - April 5
  • Week 3: April 6 - 12
  • Week 4: April 13 - 19
  • Week 5: April 20 - 26
  • Semifinals: April 27 - May 3
  • Finals: May 4 - 10
As usual, this will serve as the general talk thread/meme hub of the tournament, as well as the place where pre-tournament discussions will take place.

Discussion points:
  • Format list - Here we go again... Will #FreeGBU prevail yet again?! Note that the only formats in consideration are the standard BSS and BSD formats between generations 5-8, and in the case of gen 8 it will be the latest iterations of these formats. There will be no Special formats, Online Competition specific formats, VGC formats that are not BSD, or pre-HOME Gen 8 formats.
  • Number of slots - It's most likely going to be 6 again.
  • Manager pricing - something I've seen people talk about on discord recently. Will it be 10k? Will prices vary according to their past BSPL record? Or are they simply not allowed to play?
  • Teamlock - teamlock is going to stay for BSPL V.
  • Retains - should we have retains? If so how much should retains cost?
  • Other - whatever else you want to discuss.
Happy posting!

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Hey Dragonwhale, thanks for posting this! I have a lot of thoughts on BSPL, and hopefully we can get a good amount of discussion on this, because my opinions, while voiced a lot, are still only n=1.

Number of slots: I want to talk about this first because it obviously directly affects the formats that are played. I think 6 probably makes the most sense, because although I expected to see an uptick in our playerbase after a new generation release, that simply hasn't happened. As a result, its most likely that we have to stay for this amount, simply because we want to have our BSPL as competitive as possible while still giving enough low-mid level players the chance to play. We had 84 signups and 50 players drafted. Ideally we have a 2:1 ratio of signups to draftees, so unless we outdo last year's number, with multiple generation representation, 6 is probably the most we can hold.

Format list: Much like the smogon formats have been emphasizing (with a lot of people pro only Gen 8 OU slots for WCOP), I think there needs to be a strong emphasis on the newest generation, at least for this BSPL while SwSh hype is still fresh. It's the most accessible, and if we want to get new players, it helps to have more slots in the new generation, with all due respect to outliers such as my bud TectonicDestroyer who prefers old generations but are also relatively new to our community. But I think its also important for everyone to be able to play their favorite old gens format in some capacity, as BSPL is the only real time to do this, which is why I am a strong proponent of the "BSS Classic" slot, where you play a best of 3 in old gens. As a result, I think the formats should look something like this, subject to change based on the number of signups from people depending on their format preference.

Option 1: Mostly newer players from Gen 8​
Gen 8 BSS #1, Gen 8 BSS #2, Gen 8 BSS #3, BSS Classic, Gen 7 BSS (or BSS Classic #2), Gen 8 BSD​
Option 2: Lot of Doubles Signups:​
Gen 8 BSS #1, Gen 8 BSS #2, Gen 8 BSS #3 (or BSS Classic), BSS Classic (or Gen 7 BSS), Gen 8 BSD, Gen 8 (or 6 if enough interest) BSD​

That being said, I hope the formats are locked in as late as possible, and everyone is polled on what formats they would be willing to play at the player signup, regardless of whether or not we decide to have their format or not. All official metas are options with this: Gen 8 BSS/D, Gen 7 BSS/D, Gen 6 BSS/D, Gen 5 GBU, and BSS Classic Gen 5/6/7. And based on community interest in specific formats we make the final decisions.

Manager pricing: Overall pricing of managers needs to go up, no matter what solution we choose. Whether thats through a wins formula or not, it absolutely has to happen to maintain competitive integrity.

Our managers are generally amongst our strongest players, which makes it a huge outlier when a manager comes in that isn't necessarily able to get as much value from a 10k pricetag (such as Ika) as, say, Greilmercenary. This upcoming year, I have Greil, Edu, and Marilli top 5 on my big board, with Charlotte and Chemcoop also there. There is absolutely no reason that one team last year should have been able to afford 3 of that top 5 while still being able field highly competitive slots in every other spot. This is mostly due to the fact that Greil, who is worth 30k+ and should be #1 on everyone's board, was purchased for 10k without anyone having any ability to fight back against this. This wasn't just clever drafting, this was having an unfair draft capital from the start. Even increasing the baseline manager cost to 15k makes Greil's purchase strategy last year basically unattainable. What I say below are mostly just ideas, but a fair method can be found somewhere here, or in combination.

Solution 1: Wins formula. Base price at 15k, +2k for each win ABOVE .500. In order to be fair, however, this needs to take into account 2 major exceptions. The first is a minimum games played: if someone goes 1-0 last BSPL, they shouldn't have to pay 2k more (while being a bench player), same as me, who went 3-2 (as a starter). I think a fair minimum games played is probably 4 games. The second is if you are managing but your format is no longer available (darkinium shouldn't be forced to pay 21k and not be able to play GBU). They would go back to baseline 15k.​
Solution 2: Base price 15k.​
Solution 3: Opposing managers and DW set the price anonymously, maxed at 20k or 25k, minimum 10k, rounded to the nearest thousand. Average out the total values, managers cannot set a price on themselves.​
Solution 4: DW sets the prices, min 10k max 20 or 25k, and if any manager opposes, they can have it arbitrated by another independent party, tbd.​
One last note: Managers should absolutely be able to play. Since they are amongst the strongest players, we want to showcase them playing. And also we simply don't have the luxury of enough top players or signups in general in order to make managers not play.

Teamlock - Agree with it. Not much more to say on this.
Retains - Don't think it makes sense for our community. Not much more else to say on this.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gen 8 BSS
gen 8 BSS
gen 8 BSD
gen 7 BSS
gen 6 BSS
gen 5 GBUS

not sure what to do about manager pricing. I think only greil really benefits from it (and oh boy does he) but nerfing that for him would be a little lame. in saying that, if I’m gonna cost 10k i might just only manage or sign up to just play, but not both.

I'll ignore the formatting this year and let others discuss it and was generally going to stay quite quiet this year, but it is probably a good idea to recount my experiences as a Manager last year to put some perspective on the manager pricing debate.

I was the only manager that chose not to draft themselves for 10k.

The reason I did not draft myself was not because I didn't think I would get 10k value out of myself or even because I thought I was easily the worst manager player but because Greilmercenary9 and Charlotte were managers. I could not get 20k value out of myself as an individual player and as a manager I could still bring the other intangible stuff. Otherwise I would have drafted myself.

I do want to give an idea of how hard that made things and how much the Inkays clawed back in the draft.

Every single player I drafted, except perhaps Kaori, The Squash and Legasey, was a bargain at the price I bought them at. I gained 3-5k of value on every other player I drafted. Overall, the Inkays gained around 15-20k worth of value in the draft through a combination of planning and decent luck, which is a large part of the reason that we ended up in the finals. I literally do not know how we could have done better in the draft, even if MiMi flopped the Inkays would have still been up 12-15k.

Greil I think gained about 6-7k worth of value in his draft mainly off Megazard and Edu and didn't really majorly overpay for anyone. I think that's certainly very reasonable and I liked his draft a lot, but it should have still been the case that when our teams matched up, our team should have had the advantage due to the Inkays draft being considerably better. This was obviously not the case, because the Luxrays (and the Drummers) gained 20k from the get go. The Luxrays draft IMO was still 8-10k ahead of Inkays despite of how stupidly good our draft was. This is why the Luxrays were favoured in every matchup.

I'm not going to be managing next year, but there is always a wild card or two as a manager, someone who isn't too respected as a player in the community or someone from the outside. You probably won't ever see another Inkays run like that if a random person comes up to manage. I just can't see how a "wild card" team is supposed to win BSPL without considerable luck if a player worth over 20k can buy themselves for 10k. It's harsh of me to say this as I like Greil and I enjoyed competing against the Luxrays since it felt like fighting a juggernaut and a challenge, but the advantage is too much if we are looking at it from a pure competitive fair play standpoint.

Personally though, I don't mind too much.

I never really had much of a chance as a manager whilst this rule is in place but does it really matter much? I've always thought that whilst winning is cool and I did try to win, most of it is the team atmosphere, getting to know people and the bringing together of the community. Perhaps my lack of competitive spirit is why I never win or do well in anything though. I drafted to save value, but mostly I just drafted some of my homies who happened to be underrated and then proceeded to show it in tour play. I don't think BSPL would be the same without managers playing and there are always going to be unfair pricing points. Even if Greil and Charlotte aren't managing, then that's just going to extend to the next manager down in price and so on and so forth. A random 3k player is always going to be at a disadvantage.

Not sure entirely what to do, but I always think its going to be a little unfair no matter what decision is made.

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Another manager price solution that I discussed on discord that I wanted to post here, and I think its currently the best one.

Baseline of, lets say, 10k, set for managers. The managers are sorted based on number of wins, with or those managers who did not play being set at baseline 10k. The manager with the least number of wins is set at 10k, with subsequent manager being bumped up by a fixed price value, such as, say, 2k.

With 6 managers who all played last year, this would mean the least wins worth 10k, next 12k, 14k, 16k, 18k, then 20k. If there is a tie in wins and win percentage, both get the same cost, with the next highest player being 2k higher.

This would have the effect of making the managers for last year, if they were managed this year, to be worth the following.
Ika (10k, 0-0), NOVED (10k, 1-4), Solerme (12k, 2-3), Cant say (14k, 3-3), Charlotte (16k, 3-2), and Greil (18k, 4-2).

If Ika chooses not to manage, and I were made a manager, for example, this shifts the costs to as follows.

NOVED (10k, 1-4), Solerme (12k, 2-3), Cant say (14k, 3-3), Charlotte (16k, 3-2), 1TP (16k, 3-2), and Greil (18k, 4-2)

Last edited:
I didn't really want to insert myself into this debacle again but its pretty clear that some people from the discord haven't the foggiest about how to draft. There was good reason we got into finals, it wasn't luck, our draft was great and anyone who cannot see that is a blind fool. Greils was also a solid draft but the main thing it had going for it was that it had Greil in from the very start, I don't know what I can say if you can't see that. Im not even saying that the system should be changed like some people who seem to be putting words into my mouth are. I'm fine with it being the same, but there seems to be some idea put forward that Greil didn't even have a significant advantage. I'm not sure if these people are saying this because its just contrarian to what Im saying but it is just bordering on delusional.

I do not expect people to follow my logic of value, I spent a lot of time looking into drafting, even studying past SPL drafts and talking to people about it so that we would have a decent draft and I did not want flop as I knew was very possible given the performance of people like Ullar in the past BSPL (not that I blame him, the odds stacked against him). Its like during the draft people implied I didn't know what I was doing and yet we easily got to finals and got 1st in the regular season above the Luxrays and were 1 win off a finals tiebreak. Value of a draft actually correlates into wins, a draft that is worth 40k is nearly always going to be outperformed by a draft that is worth 80k, this is just the difference level between the players.

At the end of the draft, we are all going to be spending 80k, so getting a 10k player for 5k allows me first a stronger player that is more likely to gain wins and secondly more budget to buy stronger players in future. Ie getting a 100k draft for 80k, this is good. I am actually gaining more wins every time I get someone who is good and creates wins for cheaper than they should. I thought this was just simple stuff, but obviously it is rocket science. Discounting semis, Marilli and Edu went 7-2 in doubles whilst Mr.Gx and Pinksylvie went 7-2. I bought that core for 17k and bought based off on past performance, the core that Greil bought cost him 39.5k. Buying Marilli and Edu, I was actually the person who upbid for both funnily enough for 40k would have left me with 6 slots to get for 40k. Ie. the Inkays bought a core that performed equivalent to Marilli/Edu for less than half the price. This of course means, the Inkays get a stronger singles core (this works both ways).

So yes, I could have easily outbid Greil and gotten Marilli and Edu for 40k like some idiots suggest, but that would been a death knell to our draft which would probably ended up in us missing playoffs. Forget being able to afford a greil level player in my USUM after that, Id have to be greil myself and buy myself for 10k to be able to get away with that (going back to the point where Greil had a huge advantage in buying himself for 20k cheaper). I could buy Puff, probably the 3rd best USUM player, for 18-20k which I specifically got for a bargain because I let other people burn off their money and put forward players that I knew would burn off certain people's cash (I couldnt do that in this case because I would have to buy marilli beforehand losing my drafting hand) but then every other slot would have to be 3-5k in value which would result in a team like the Helmets or Farseers were last year. We'd struggle in our other slots, when we started doing bad, Marilli would probably whine/chat shit which would have drained team morale. None of these players would have respected me as a manager either so our gameplan and atmosphere couldn't have been established. We would have been bottom of the barrel.

To put it simple, for any other team it is impossible to buy Edu + Marilli + MZ + Greil for the prices they went for last year (or what greil went for the year before). That would add up to 82.5k, in a world where Edu and MZ are relative bargains and we still need four more people and two more starter slots.

Also mere price tag wasnt the only consideration, stuff like attitude, activity, resilience, intangibles, people who are willing to tryhard (specifically for our team...not everyone puts the same effort in with any group) were thought of. I don't even have to question whether we were the most active team, which team had the best atmosphere, whether we did the most prep and practice scrims, it's just blindingly obvious. I paid for that too which isn't even factored into valuation. Our team was bloody cheap for what it is.

So just stop with this silly, you could just have had Edu Marilli and Megazard and won cause its bollocks. That team would have been barely in playoffs without the safety net that comes with being able to draft a player who went nearly 35k two years ago for 10k and would have been worse than what we actually got.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't really want to insert myself into this debacle again but its pretty clear that some people from the discord haven't the foggiest about how to draft. There was good reason we got into finals, it wasn't luck, our draft was great and anyone who cannot see that is a blind fool. Greils was also a solid draft but the main thing it had going for it was that it had Greil in from the very start, I don't know what I can say if you can't see that. Im not even saying that the system should be changed like some people who seem to be putting words into my mouth are. I'm fine with it being the same, but there seems to be some idea put forward that Greil didn't even have a significant advantage. I'm not sure if these people are saying this because its just contrarian to what Im saying but it is just bordering on delusional.

I do not expect people to follow my logic of value, I spent a lot of time looking into drafting, even studying past SPL drafts and talking to people about it so that we would have a decent draft and I did not want flop as I knew was very possible given the performance of people like Ullar in the past BSPL (not that I blame him, the odds stacked against him). Its like during the draft people implied I didn't know what I was doing and yet we easily got to finals and got 1st in the regular season above the Luxrays and were 1 win off a finals tiebreak. Value of a draft actually correlates into wins, a draft that is worth 40k is nearly always going to be outperformed by a draft that is worth 80k, this is just the difference level between the players.

At the end of the draft, we are all going to be spending 80k, so getting a 10k player for 5k allows me first a stronger player that is more likely to gain wins and secondly more budget to buy stronger players in future. Ie getting a 100k draft for 80k, this is good. I am actually gaining more wins every time I get someone who is good and creates wins for cheaper than they should. I thought this was just simple stuff, but obviously it is rocket science. Discounting semis, Marilli and Edu went 7-2 in doubles whilst Mr.Gx and Pinksylvie went 7-2. I bought that core for 17k and bought based off on past performance, the core that Greil bought cost him 39.5k. Buying Marilli and Edu, I was actually the person who upbid for both funnily enough for 40k would have left me with 6 slots to get for 40k. Ie. the Inkays bought a core that performed equivalent to Marilli/Edu for less than half the price. This of course means, the Inkays get a stronger singles core (this works both ways).

So yes, I could have easily outbid Greil and gotten Marilli and Edu for 40k like some idiots suggest, but that would been a death knell to our draft which would probably ended up in us missing playoffs. Forget being able to afford a greil level player in my USUM after that, Id have to be greil myself and buy myself for 10k to be able to get away with that (going back to the point where Greil had a huge advantage in buying himself for 20k cheaper). I could buy Puff, probably the 3rd best USUM player, for 18-20k which I specifically got for a bargain because I let other people burn off their money and put forward players that I knew would burn off certain people's cash (I couldnt do that in this case because I would have to buy marilli beforehand losing my drafting hand) but then every other slot would have to be 3-5k in value which would result in a team like the Helmets or Farseers were last year. We'd struggle in our other slots, when we started doing bad, Marilli would probably whine/chat shit which would have drained team morale. None of these players would have respected me as a manager either so our gameplan and atmosphere couldn't have been established. We would have been bottom of the barrel.

To put it simple, for any other team it is impossible to buy Edu + Marilli + MZ + Greil for the prices they went for last year (or what greil went for the year before). That would add up to 82.5k, in a world where Edu and MZ are relative bargains and we still need four more people and two more starter slots.

Also mere price tag wasnt the only consideration, stuff like attitude, activity, resilience, intangibles, people who are willing to tryhard (specifically for our team...not everyone puts the same effort in with any group) were thought of. I don't even have to question whether we were the most active team, which team had the best atmosphere, whether we did the most prep and practice scrims, it's just blindingly obvious. I paid for that too which isn't even factored into valuation. Our team was bloody cheap for what it is.

So just stop with this silly, you could just have had Edu Marilli and Megazard and won cause its bollocks. That team would have been barely in playoffs without the safety net that comes with being able to draft a player who went nearly 35k two years ago for 10k and would have been worse than what we actually got.
....and what is the point of this post again?

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
....and what is the point of this post again?
Lot of people were arguing that Greil (also Charlotte as another example, although that team didn't do too hot) did not have a significant inherent advantage by being able to afford themselves for only 10k under the previous year's manager purchasing cost of a flat rate of 10k.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Lot of people were arguing that Greil (also Charlotte as another example, although that team didn't do too hot) did not have a significant inherent advantage by being able to afford themselves for only 10k under the previous year's manager purchasing cost of a flat rate of 10k.
okay but the post didn’t seem to address that and instead just flexed how good the inkay’s draft was.

I’m not trying to be antagonistic but there are plenty of reasons to argue why greil (and Charlotte) had inherent budget advantages over anyone else without having to write several paragraphs about why your own draft was so good...

It’s objectively true that the players worth more than 10k have an advantage by drafting themselves. I think the real question is; is it worth nerfing then so much that you deter prominent community figures from managing altogether? And on the other hand, are we deterring players who perceive themselves worth less than 10k from drafting themselves? I’m all for a change but it needs to be fair and these are the things we should be talking about.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
okay but the post didn’t seem to address that and instead just flexed how good the inkay’s draft was.

I’m not trying to be antagonistic but there are plenty of reasons to argue why greil (and Charlotte) had inherent budget advantages over anyone else without having to write several paragraphs about why your own draft was so good...

It’s objectively true that the players worth more than 10k have an advantage by drafting themselves. I think the real question is; is it worth nerfing then so much that you deter prominent community figures from managing altogether? And on the other hand, are we deterring players who perceive themselves worth less than 10k from drafting themselves? I’m all for a change but it needs to be fair and these are the things we should be talking about.
Yeah this was mostly in response to some clear misconceptions that occurred in discord, saying inkays were all about "drafting value" and not actually drafting to win which was bullshit. Ika's post might have been pretty inkays centric but its mostly to highlight that it wasn't a fatal flaw in the inkays that undid us rather than being in a very stacked against us odds, one which is partially remedied by managers paying closer to their actual value to play (although in some cases, they will still get like 10-15k below market value, but sure, lets hold a pity party for them lol).

Also I'm sorry but if a higher than dirt cheap cost actually deters community figures from managing they clearly aren't that dedicated to managing to begin with. We've seen two other communities (RUPL and UUPL) do 10k + 1.5k per win this year, and I don't see anyone threatening to jump ship there, so the notion that this is a large deterrence is pretty unfounded at this point. We all want a fair, highly competitive environment where ANYONE can win (thats a huge reason why people love battle spot/3v3 formats, and why I joined to begin with), so why not move towards that.

Last edited:

Trust me mate, Ive already done the arguments without overexaggerating how good our draft is and failed miserably. This is why I have to write this stupid essay. In essence people are just dumb so I have to state it in such a braindead way to the point its insulting.

Last edited:
gen 8 BSS
gen 8 BSS
gen 8 BSD

gen 7 BSS
gen 7 BSD
gen 6 BSS

i'm honestly for the x2 doubles, but even with x1 you'll still see solerme vs cant say in doubles at some point.
And also, i'd keep things how they've always been, with managers being able to spend 10k to buy themselves. The simpler the better

Last edited:

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Gen 8 BSS
Gen 8 BSS
Gen 8 BSD
(Gen 8 BSD) - two slots if we can recruit more doubles players while VGC hype is still high

Gen 7 BSS
Gen 6 BSS
BSS Classic (Gen 7, 6, 5 Bo3 - played the same way as last year's BSS Classic Tour)

With only 6 or possibly 7 slots on the table, GBU does not deserve a full seat at the table in Gen 8. I don't think it should be entirely removed from the tour given its popularity with some players, but I do think that a format that few of us played in its time should be given an equal place next to formats like ORAS and SM BSS in which our community was really formed and grew considerably. With a BSS Classic slot we can still get some good GBU games as well as a few additional old gens games per week.

Regarding manager pricing, I'm open to either keeping the flat 10k price or to matching RU/UUPL's variable pricing of 10k + 1.5k * (number of wins in the previous year's PL).

Maybe we can actually have some constructive discussion on formats/managers in this thread now that last year's salt + delusions have been let out lol

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Gen 8 BSS
Gen 8 BSS
Gen 8 BSD
Gen 8 BSD
Gen 7 BSS
Gen 6 BSS or Gen 7 BSS or Gen 8 BSS

So since we obviously didn't talk about this enough earlier, I'll give my thoughts on this BSPL now that signups are up. I think chemcoop's idea is the best approach posted so far for formats, especially since it seems a lot of people are complaining about Gen 7 BSD being on the table at the moment. I think any setup that forgoes a second Doubles slot is a bad idea though unless it's clear that our Doubles player signups are worryingly low, it makes the single Doubles slot feel too out of place otherwise. I think it benefits all teams to be "forced" to have multiple Doubles players anyway since it makes the team more cohesive than if there's just one random Doubles player, so if people are super against Gen 7 BSD then we should just have a second Gen 8 BSD instead. If we reach out to VGC a bit then this shouldn't be an issue.

Since we're obviously only having 6 slots that leaves the past gen singles formats to address with only two slots to do so. I was okay with the Classic slot at first but after hearing that such slots have mixed reception in other leagues, I'm a bit more hesitant about it. Having to build 3 teams each week is already difficult and having to do so in three different formats is even harder, fielding someone who can handle all three formats is another step above that. If we're all okay with this challenge we can probably manage it, but I think there are risks with this slot that may or may not be worth it.

I feel the easiest way to fill these last two slots is to have Gen 7 BSS and Gen 6 BSS and leave it at that. Alternatively, we add a 3rd Gen 8 BSS or a second Gen 7 BSS depending on interest and drop Gen 6 BSS as well. I've argued about this for years and it only becomes more true every year, but our community isn't large enough to support everything so we need to be willing to drop GBU and even ORAS if necessary. We have more players who are familiar with ORAS by virtue of our community largely growing during that generation, so if we had to choose between GBU and ORAS then the latter is a better choice. However, even ORAS had a few issues with slots last year so I'm not totally opposed to dropping that as well.

Like I said, if we think we can handle a Classic slot then I'm fine with it, but we really need to be willing to drop older gens if necessary. I think at the very least, two Gen 8 BSS, two Gen 8 BSD, and a Gen 7 BSS slot should be mostly on lock though.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
logo for use on forums.png

I'm sadly leaning more and more towards not managing this season. It's always been tough trying to work out the draft around my timezone, which has lead to some awkward draft choices by me at 12:30am, and my availability only overlaps with most of my players for about 20 minutes a day due to work commitments and admittedly wanting to stream when I'm free. It also doesn't help that BSPL is this time of year since Australia's DST is ending and the US has just entered it.

I'm considering signing up as just a player but I'd hate to see the Cavs disappear, especially when the team comes with a ready-made logo!

If anyone is interested in taking the reigns (preferably a past Cavs player) then hit me up!

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
There's really mathematically no difference between 2k min and 3k min. You just need to account for manager price shift also shifting player prices down. 2k min bids is probably a real tempting offer for someone like greil because at least 1 manager will be fixated on "25k player" "27k player" "30k player" and pay more than what they can afford.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
An issue that came up during Marilli vs Mr. GX that I wanted to bring to your attention, because I dont think we have made a ruling for this DragonWhale

Since we are playing with VGC2020 to be in place of Battle Spot Doubles, how do we go about setting timer for matches? The VGC timer is a LOT shorter than the one for normal smogon tours, so do we just play with no timer, or do we have a way of modifying the time so its not like 30 seconds a turn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)