Resource BDSP Forum Rules, Council Info, and Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilefi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Today is the day to reveal what is behind the curtains since some weeks. With the agreement of all councils, it has been decided:
  • to switch BDSP metagames to a VR-based tiering system
  • with the most important consequence of unfreezing the tiers.
  • Next opens and Grand Slam will be used to determine new VR lists and Rise&Drop thresholds
  • and 2024 BDSP PL will be the first tour to feature these changes!
Let me explain everything.
First of all, a tiering system is the usage of tiers like OU, UU, RU, etc. Most games are using a usage-based system where each month ladder activity and usage determined if a Pokémon drops or rises from a tier to another. In a VR-based system, like LGPE metagames, a Pokémon rise or drop is determined by its ranking in the Viability Ranking lists, that are established on a regular basis (after any important even in practice) by a qualified playerbase and/or councils, following one or multiple thresholds.

In LGPE the cutoff is B rank. For example, if Melmetal that is currently OU would be ranked C after a VR, it would drop to UU. In the opposite way, if Mega-Pidgeot that is UU would be ranked A after a VR, it would rise to OU.
The August 4th 2022, aknowledging the very little activity on all lower tiers ladders, the BDSP Leadership decided to freeze the tiers to prevent more undesired drops after RU getting a huge amount of new pokemons that never should have dropped in the first place. Since then, all tiers have been able to settle their own identity and find some stability. Though, it was clearer and clearer some mons should have left their tier eventually over the course of the months instead of being stuck in higher tier without any form of viability.

Current Tier Leadership composed of TyCarter and I had, since we inherated the responsibility of BDSP development, the project of applying LGPE VR-based system to BDSP metagames in order to both make the tiers look like their identities and give them a second life. It is without saying, this doesn't come with any issues to solve. BDSP has far more Pokémon than LGPE, therefore more tiers which are also in very different states! For instance, if RU is still living with the repercussions of the 2022 Rises&Drops, NU is a very heathy and dynamic tier.

In order to take into account each tier uniqueness, the decision has been taken that every tier will follow its own rhythm as they don't start from the same point nor have the same needs. Each council will monitor this rhythm using one or two thresholds for their respective metagame with the idea of aiming to the same in the long term. Of course, councils keep all their tools regarding tiering action to ease the transition.

I'll take the opportunity to remind each council composition:
A big thank you to all of you for accepting this project from the outset and making it possible.

I hope that you all will be as excited as I am about this!

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RE: BDSP VR Tier Shifts Timeline

I just wanted to clarify what the current timeline is expected to look like for Tier Shifts in BDSP given it'll affect the 4 BDSP Tiers below OU. (UU, RU, NU, PU) as I do not believe we were clear on the specifics.

UU will have their shifts in effect at the start of BDSPPL III/End of Grand Slam. Our current UU Council will announce the changes once BDSP UU Open concludes.

BDSP UU will be the only tier to have their changes in effect for BDSPPL III (May 2024)

BDSP RU will be expected to have their changes kick in after BDSPPL III or by the start of BDSP Homefield I (August 2024)

BDSP NU is likely to see their changes kick in after Homefield concludes. (Approximately November/December 2024)

BDSP PU will have their changes likely occur before next year's BDSP Grand Slam (Jan 2025)

This is not final, given it is a rough outline. Some matters may be subject to change down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)