Beat Up BW mechanic

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Beat_Up_(move) and http://pokemondb.net/move/beat-up report that in BW, Beat Up no longer uses the base Attack stats of your teammates, but uses your base Attack stat (along with items like Choice Band) to calculate damage. After testing it on the Smogon University server, I know that our server uses the DPP mechanic where it uses the base Attack of each of your teammates. So either Bulbapedia and PokemonDB (the only other website I could find with detailed information) are wrong about a new mechanic, or it should to be updated on our server

Edit: I'm going to test it ingame tonight

Edit 2: Confirmed, from my tests I've seen that Beat Up no longer takes into account the base Attack stats of your teammates, which means the current PO mechanic is indeed invalid

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From the Research thread:

Confirmed Beat Up's new damage formula uses the Attack of each attacker and Defense of the target, but its BP for each hit = 5 + (Base Attack of Attacker / 10). However, if the user's Attack is boosted through the use of an ability, move or item, all Beat Up hits will be boosted. (mien)
Tests (courtesy of mien)

I really don't understand that. When I used it ingame, each hit did approximately the same damage, (excluding critical hits,) even when the teammates varied as much as Slaking (160 base Attack) to Volbeat (73 base Attack). The difference between the two of their hits was barely noticeable, and almost seemed like it was leaning towards Volbeat's hit in terms of damage output

Clearly mien's testing was very extensive and mine was basic, but I felt that mine was conclusive

Maybe there is another factor, like the level of the pokemon involved, or something. Can you at least test if damage varies with level, and if it doesn't I'll just put the changes even though we don't have a complete explanation yet.

I really don't understand that. When I used it ingame, each hit did approximately the same damage, (excluding critical hits,) even when the teammates varied as much as Slaking (160 base Attack) to Volbeat (73 base Attack). The difference between the two of their hits was barely noticeable, and almost seemed like it was leaning towards Volbeat's hit in terms of damage output

Clearly mien's testing was very extensive and mine was basic, but I felt that mine was conclusive
Isn't that what mien's testing suggests, though? With Slaking, the hit has a basepower of 5 + 160/10 = 5 + 16 = 21, while Volbeat hits for 5+73/10 = 5+7 (pokémon rounds everything down, right?) = 12. I think a 9 BP difference isn't really noticeable, hence, all hits doing "about the same damage".

For now what PO does is:

- it uses the base attack of each pokemon for the power of the hit coupled to the unboosted attack of each pokemon for the attack stat during the hit (with item effects from the pokemon on the field)

From mien's definition, I should only use the attack stat of the pokemon on the field for each hit, and keep how I do for the base power of the hits?

Also if you want to test it ingame, chansey has 5 base attack. (so test the difference between Chansey & Zekrom as partners)

Okay so Bulbapedia is wrong. I say that because in my tests, the only time I've ever noticed a significant difference in the damage output of a Pokémon is by using Chansey. When I used Chansey, one of the hits did practically no damage compared to the other hits, which were all about the same damage (I know, "about the same" are the keywords with Beat Up) and the other hits were by Weavile, Zekrom, and Swanna

Damn now I really don't know what to say, this is the only conclusive evidence I've had and it goes against my original post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)