Beauty and the Beast (Jynx + Primeape Dual scarfed)

for a long time i have tried to make a team that fits my play style. which is more offensive and i use my predictions and fodders to survive. i am personally very proud of this team, most people say it doesnt look all too good with very much synergy at all, but i have gotten this team to work very well for me as my current standing on PS is:
nu 1869 85 1943 ± 53 (provisional) 62 8 0
62-8 not bad and one of my losses was from inactivity xD i will state some of the pros and cons at the end so yeah. i peaked at around 1875 (#50-55 on ladder) but then started dropping a little.

the purpose of this team is to whittle down their team with my 2 support attackers golurk and eelektross, having zangoose as my sweeper/stall breaker and jynx and primeape as the guys that clean up and revenge kill. i have weezing as my physical wall because as most of you know NU is a mostly physical tier and i feel like weezing does the job very well. i was deciding between him and tangela but i just wasnt sure and went with weezing to counter scolipede and primeape.

before any of you suggest changes i just want you to know that im a picky bastard and if you have any suggestions you should have a good explanation as to why i should change that. please do not suggest changing primeape or jynx because i am 99% sure i am keeping them the way they are. anyways here it is.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Punishment
- U-turn

Primeape was probably my favorite drop because i absolutely love the move u-turn and he is one of the best users in the lower tiers. this set can deal some nice damage with close combat, pick off scolipede with rock slide (2 hits) and kill some pokes that like to set up with punishment (musharna, misdreavus & swoobat) and then u-turn out as scout or just to get out of there. he is usually the one poke i use most of every game. though there are many things it has trouble taking out, with the right support he can be used very well. he cleans up many of my games. also primeape is one of the best answers to all of the other 3 drops.

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Jynx is not a pokemon that i think most people would think to run scarfed. scarfed jynx has been my favorite set for it even back in the beginning of bw when jynx was NU. one major reason being the amazing surpris factor. one way that i really like to play is let a weakened opponents poke kill one of my useless pokes and switch in if primeapes uturn can kill, show them my ape is scarfed and go into my jynx, often times they will go into their scarfer (pinsir, sawk, braviary & primeape) which you can normally outspeed and KO or speed tie with. now if they go into a wall you can trick them, even if they go into a counter such as skuntank you can put them to sleep and switch out. jynx is very fun to use and most times i have to watch its life because it does have the rocks weakness. another thing i have learned from using jynx is that it could be the perfect rain team counter. well, except for physical attackers and electric types ahaha. but jynx can win a 1v1 with a ludicolo if rocks are not up, or better yet you switch in on the turn he sets up rain and get dry skin recovery. jynx can also be good against the SD samurott set because aqua jet wont hit you and you can possibly KO with psychic.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

golurk is a great pokemon, great typing, stats, abilities, moves, golurk has just about it all. he is mainly there to set up rocks and spin block, but he can do more than that consistently. half the times i lead with golurk and the other half being primeape. it usually golruk but when i fear the opponent will lead with something that takes on golurk well i lead with the ape. i was running the no guard set but i swtiched to this just because shadow punch helps my team very much. if you didnt realize my team has a pretty big psychic and ghost weakness, shadow punch can hit them very hard. i run speed ev/s to out speed things like some misdreavuses, skuntanks that switch in expecting to out speed or me to switch, cacturne and other golurks. they have done me more good than bulk ever did.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Night Slash

zangoose is probably the best user of a 'guts like' ability in the tier. he has a very powerful and fast facade that can 1 or 2 hit ko most of the tier. any poke that resists its stab is usually weak to close combat or night slash. i was considering running feint over quick attack for a couple reasons; it can hit through protect stallers for that little bit of damage, it's barely weaker and it can out speed faster priority users. zangoose can wall most misdreavuses without foul play very well and threaten them out. this is another poke that i might uturn or volt switch into to get my toxic boost going. zangoose has helped me very much in many games making game changing plays and such.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Weezing is a pretty damn good physical wall, especially with its typing and ability in NU. though i am still picking and choosing between him and tangela, i think i will stay with weezing in the end because it gets will-o and taunt. willo is obviously good for physical attackers and taunt is amazing for stall teams and other types of pokes. can stop a sweep or just some hazards/status but still taunt has been the best last slot. sometimes when i feel weezing isnt going to be very helpful against my opponents team i can fodder him to send in a revenge killer. weezing makes a good spot on this team and has earned its stay.

Eelektross @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

This last slot is very important, it was debated between many pokes. in the end eelektross earned his stay for the main reason being its stats, no weakness (aside from mold breaker eq) and its above average spA with an amazing move pool. alomomola can be a huge problem for my team, so whenever i face it i usually try to save eelektross for it. if you can bluff the specs set then you can probably surprise your opponent with a KO or some heavy damage. i am ev'ed to out speed base 75's namingly seismitoad and garbodor. one of my favorite things to do with this team is volt turn a little bit with primeape and eelektross because they both get pretty good coverage and can severely threaten many teams. some games eelektross does nothing, some games he does a ton of work. some games when i dont see him able to do much work i will fodder him for a free switch in. grass knot and giga drain are often compared, but for this set i prefer grass knot for the recovery and you arent losing much power.

SO, my team seems pretty damn solid to me but im sure there are some things that you all see that can be improved. my team is mostly weak to psychics like jynx or gardevoir, though i can usually handle them rather easily. i have tested many things for this team and right now its at the best its been.

pros about this team:
-couple surprise factors
-coverage like a boss
-i like it

cons:
-pretty frail
-major weaknesses
-lacks originality

bad pros and cons but w/e. once again, i am very picky with suggestions i might test some but some i might just straight up say no xD dont feel intimidated or anything any thoughts or suggestions are welcome :D

p.s. this team was built to fit my play style and not a lot of you will like that.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think Swellow can be a good replacement for your Zangoose. Zangoose still hits pretty crazy hard and has good coverage, but that matters less in this faster metagame. There's also the fact it cannot switch into Misdreavus safely as unlike Swellow, Zangoose only benefits from poison and gets hindered by burns. The inability to outspeed Primeape, Jynx and Scolipede also holds Zangoose back.

Swellow may be walled by Rocks and Steels, but with Primeape, Golurk and Eelektross (for Carracosta at least) to U-Turn out into this is a minor trade for the huge increase in speed for slightly less power and coverage.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb / Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Quick Attack / Pursuit

I don't know who told you that your team doesn't have good synergy and doesn't look good was wrong.

1st reason why it's very good is that it has Weezing. Weezing counters sooo many pokemon in NU including the omnipresent fighting and bug types.

2nd reason why it's good is you. I have seen how you play this team to it's strengths. Teams don't just "work". You can take a team which has peaked #1 on the ladder and lose every match. People who do good on the ladder have gotten used to their team and know how to respond to each threat.

3rd and last reason why it's good is offensive synergy. You have 2 scarfers which do very well in NU. Primeape can u-turn out of things that wall it and you can send in the appropriate check. Your team also has good balance with 3 Sp.Attackers and 3 Physical Attackers.

So all i have to say is that you don't have to change anything. It has worked very well for you so far and it will coninue to work(at least until something changes in the tier which might take some time)

Good Luck with your laddering btw!

Hurr Durr 2 scarfers are bad ;ubavjbeas.

Naw im jk, but i have a few things i feel will make the team better overall. The first being swellow over Zangoose as Punchshroom decribed. Then the second would be to change Eelektross Spread to 252 Hp/ 252 SpA. Ive used this set alot lately and let me tell you, that extra bulk is the determining factor if i get a kill or not. The speed to outrun Golurk as you said is useluss as with the bulk he can barely touch it! Eelektross is immune to eq, tank a few shadow punches, and retaliate with giga drain.

Hey NUT, cool team and congratulations on the peak! All of the rates above my post are pretty good, but I have some more suggestions that may make your team a bit more effective.

With Sawk losing usage the past few days due to the tier shifts, I suggest Lum Berry Golem over your current Golurk set. Lum Berry Golem does pretty well in this metagame due to Misdreavus and Jynx running around with their annoying status moves, so avoiding the status and hitting Misdreavus for some solid damage with Rock Blast as well as knocking out Jynx is really going to be beneficial for your team, it also breaks Scolipede's Focus Sash, which is good since your two scarfers are bothered by it and its Spikes.

The aforementioned Jynx still poses a huge threat to this team since nothing can safely switch in without getting OHKOed or 2HKOed. I agree running a bulkier spread on Eelektross. I also suggest testing out Kangaskhan > Zangoose. Kangaskhan can act as your offensive pivot, taking a hit from Jynx bar LO or Specs Focus Blast, and dishing out solid damage on it with Fake Out. Swellow is still a good choice on your team because it outspeeds Jynx naturally and can knock it out, so try both and see how it works out.

@ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch

@ Silk Scarf
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature
-Fake Out
-Double Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Drain Punch / Earthquake

Good luck on your team and Luvdisc'd! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)