Beef your Speed and Sweep!

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Team centered around Batton Passing Zapdos, and getting just that little bit of extra speed and power that allows so, so many Pokemon to outspeed and 2HKO on the switch. I was aiming to have plenty of recepients of BP to ensure that no matter what the opponent had out there would be a suitable Pokemon to pass to, and in practive that has worked quite well so far.

Gengar (M) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP/252 Spd/150 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-wisp
---

Well, when looking for a lead I stumbled upon this little baby right down the bottom of Gengar's analysis. Double Status is one of the oldest tricks in the book, and even today it works wonders. Provided I outspeed, I can put the opponent on the back foot straight away (which I believe to be one of the most important things in any competitive sport), and hopefully cripple two of their Pokemon. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast provide excellent coverage, as I'm sure you all know well, along my two status moves. Wide Lense helps 3 out of my 4 moves, and although it doesn't bring them up to 100% accuracy it does a good job of ensuring they hit more often than not.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/132 Def/40 Spd/84 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Charge Beam
- Roost
---

Honestly, when people decide to pass boosts with an Electric type (Jolteon, I'm looking at you) I just don't see why they would rather run Thunderbolt than have a decent chance at being able to pass even more boosts with Charge Beam. Turns mediocre Sp sweepers into all kinds of beastly monsters if I can get off an Agility and a single Satk boost. You'll be running scared if I get off two :D

Hidden Power Ice was less than necessary on this set, as Pokes weak to it barely never switch in. More often than not you get a generic Special wall attempting to shut you down. Roost on the other hand is great for increasing Zapdos' longevity, and can be used to PP stall opponents, forcing a switch and nabbing me a free boost / batton pass. This Zapdos isn't going to be sweeping any time soon, hence the Bold nature.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 152 HP/252 Atk/104 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Thunderpunch
- Meteor Mash

First designated recipient of Agility Boosts (Gengar can be used in a pinch, but that's not its main purpose). Standard CB Gross moveset, greatly benefits from extra speed and freedom to choose from attacks. After recieving an Agility my first move is usually to obtain an Atk boost from Meteor Mash. After than Meta can deal heavy damage to most opponents, and when death is imminent I get to waste all my boosts by exploding (and lol'ing) in their faces. Easily my favorite Pokemon to sweep with, even with just lefties for recovery it's still so dam bulky and hard to take down.
Agiligross EVs to outrun 269's with Scarf.

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/12 Def/216 Spd/30 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
---
Half Tank, half sweeper, my Empoleon honestly doesn't know exactly what it wants to be - and that's why I love it :D It has quite a few nifty resists and makes a great all-purpose switch in, but packs a punch unboosted and if it recieves an Agility and preferably a Charge Beam boost it can tear through unprepared teams with the Grass/Ice/STAB combo. Stealth Rocks is always a good move to use during a spare turn, hurting so many high OU Pokes and fitting in with the pseudo-tanky nature. You seem to see it on more and more half tanks half sweeper Pokes these days (Tar and Meta come to mind)

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6Spe
Adamant(?) nature (+Atk, -SAtk) (Tempted to go Impish)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge

Adds many neceseties to this team, namely; Recovery, status absorbtion, Blissey killer, doesn't die to Eq+SE, fights of Tar/dos/dragons. :)

Kingdra (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 120 HP/136 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I had a bloody huge Fire weak before I put Kingdra in my final spot. Yet another Poke that benefits from Zapdos' boosts, but this one can also set itself up and throw status around too >.> Surf is the main attack, HP Electric hitting a few Pokes SE that Surf mises. Toxic is a filler to take care of walls as I didn't feel I needed Ice Beam so much at the time I was making this team (lol?). Still, it hasn't let me down, nabing a few quick rain sweeps and getting rid of a Sandstorm (Which in one battle allowed me to gain the upper hand vs Cradily and hence win the match) :D

Teams Main Weaknesses: Nothing has Deo-S like speed when unboosted.
Lacks reliable recovery... quite literally.

Advice?

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's a good team, and I like the concept, small nitpicks though...I'd really consider HP Fire over Explosion, and maybe a Naughty nature...since you might just be getting SAtk boosts to Meta as well, HP Fire can allow you to get through stuff like Forretress, Bronzong, and Skarmory, all of whom can set up field hazards/screens on you with little danger. It also allows you to hurt Reflect Celebi, which walls you and neuters your Explosion, as well as (lol?) Tangrowth.

I'd just go with Roost > HP Ice, but honestly what's the point of Modest? It's there to pass boosts, and the boosts will more than make up for the drop in power anyway. I'd really look to maximize Zapdos's staying power with BP sets.

For Duggy, I'd definitely swap it out (it's not a sure kill against enough things to really justify using, especially without a scarf)

You know what I'd add in? LO Restalk Heatran. With speed and SAtk passed to it, it can both deal damage, and stay around, and it's easy to bring in with its resistances (I think one of the most important aspects of a BP recipient is being easy to bring in; Meta, Emploeon, and even Kingdra are relatively easy to bring in). A pure sweeper set could work too, with something like Fire Blast/Flamethrower, HP Electric/Grass, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse/Explosion.

I'm not really suggesting this but would Hydro Pump allow you to get any more KOs that Surf would not? Say, with a few SAtk boosts could you get a KO on a Cresselia in the rain?

I honestly have to agree with Ancien Regime on this matter, as your team needs a bit more resistances that LO ResTalk Heatran can actually help you with. Overall this team is great, and Ancien Regime has everything covered, though IIRC Hydro Pump can't OHKO Cresselia. I might have to check again though...

I also agree that MixGross would work better on your team with HP Fire since you can't do shit to things that already wall you. On Gengar I would also replace Focus Blast, for Substitute which will help you a lot, trust me. Double Status with Sub on Rotom works wonder, and with Gengar's greater speed, and more Special Attack it will help you a lot, stop priority users, LumGross, and Bronzong.

Dugtrio definitely works for this team, but I think something more along the lines of a wish passer would be slightly more useful. Also, your empoleon probably will need SAtk EV's to sweep, just the modest boost isn't enough (at least in my opinion) Also hot pocket's point of Speed EV's. I like the central basis around Zapdos, but you need a powerful slow sweeper that would benefit from speed boosts (ramparados?)

hmmm if youre BPing on Zapdos, Sub may be worth a look, as it may give a free switch (aka the recipient doesnt get hurt).

Also, on Kingdra, I wouldnt use Mystic Water. If you're going for an attack boost, Life Orb or Wse Glasses, though if hes starting rain, you may want to use Damp Rock

If you do decide to remove Dugtrio, might I suggest Admant LO Medicham as something try out? Factoring in Pure Power and Life Orb, it's max Attack stat is 624, so it's something I always think of for a team with an Agility Passer. It's fragile, though, so it could be hard to BP to it safely. Just figured I'd throw the possibility out there.

Sunday

It's a good team, and I like the concept, small nitpicks though...I'd really consider HP Fire over Explosion, and maybe a Naughty nature...since you might just be getting SAtk boosts to Meta as well, HP Fire can allow you to get through stuff like Forretress, Bronzong, and Skarmory, all of whom can set up field hazards/screens on you with little danger. It also allows you to hurt Reflect Celebi, which walls you and neuters your Explosion, as well as (lol?) Tangrowth.
I was considering going mixed for a little while, but -def/-sdef natures always turn me off it, since bulk is a big selling point. Also by the point I'm ready to Batton Pass I'm hoping to have caused enough switches to be able to guess what the opponents last Pokemon could be, and then batton pass appropriately, rather than try to cover everything with one Poke.
I'd just go with Roost > HP Ice, but honestly what's the point of Modest? It's there to pass boosts, and the boosts will more than make up for the drop in power anyway. I'd really look to maximize Zapdos's staying power with BP sets.
Initially Zapdos was meant to be able to take advantage of the boosts itself, but I agree completely, changing.
For Duggy, I'd definitely swap it out (it's not a sure kill against enough things to really justify using, especially without a scarf)
Again, agreed.
You know what I'd add in? LO Restalk Heatran. With speed and SAtk passed to it, it can both deal damage, and stay around, and it's easy to bring in with its resistances (I think one of the most important aspects of a BP recipient is being easy to bring in; Meta, Emploeon, and even Kingdra are relatively easy to bring in). A pure sweeper set could work too, with something like Fire Blast/Flamethrower, HP Electric/Grass, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse/Explosion.
So that's this one from the analysis:
Life Orb - Modest
252 HP / 96 Def / 100 SpA / 60 SpD
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
Well, Duggys doing jack all in that spot right now so I'll defenitly give it a go.

I'm not really suggesting this but would Hydro Pump allow you to get any more KOs that Surf would not? Say, with a few SAtk boosts could you get a KO on a Cresselia in the rain?
I might go fun some calcs to find out, I'll edit those in later.

And thanks for all your help :)

If you are passing Metagross speed, invest in Speed EVs so that Scarfers don't murder you
I'll probably steal the analysis Agiligross Speed EVs. Thanks for pointing that out.

I honestly have to agree with Ancien Regime on this matter, as your team needs a bit more resistances that LO ResTalk Heatran can actually help you with. Overall this team is great, and Ancien Regime has everything covered, though IIRC Hydro Pump can't OHKO Cresselia. I might have to check again though...

I also agree that MixGross would work better on your team with HP Fire since you can't do shit to things that already wall you. On Gengar I would also replace Focus Blast, for Substitute which will help you a lot, trust me. Double Status with Sub on Rotom works wonder, and with Gengar's greater speed, and more Special Attack it will help you a lot, stop priority users, LumGross, and Bronzong.
Hrm, this I'm not so sure about. I'll be sure to take note in upcoming battles how much sub could have helped me but right now my instincts tell me to keep the great coverage.

Dugtrio definitely works for this team, but I think something more along the lines of a wish passer would be slightly more useful. Also, your empoleon probably will need SAtk EV's to sweep, just the modest boost isn't enough (at least in my opinion) Also hot pocket's point of Speed EV's. I like the central basis around Zapdos, but you need a powerful slow sweeper that would benefit from speed boosts (ramparados?)
But I know for a fact Duggy isn't working on this team >.> Empoleons only sweeping with help from Zapdos, and hopefully a Satk boost. When it hasn't got the boost it needs the Def.

hmmm if youre BPing on Zapdos, Sub may be worth a look, as it may give a free switch (aka the recipient doesnt get hurt).

Also, on Kingdra, I wouldnt use Mystic Water. If you're going for an attack boost, Life Orb or Wse Glasses, though if hes starting rain, you may want to use Damp Rock
Sub would be good, but 4ms syndrome comes into it, and I don't want to give up Roost for it.

I've never been a fan of Life Orbs recoil, in fact quite often I avoid it completly (I run Lum Berry on Deo-s just because I dislike LO lol). Mystic Water provides an adequate boost to my main attack, and I've been quite happy with it so far.

If you do decide to remove Dugtrio, might I suggest Admant LO Medicham as something try out? Factoring in Pure Power and Life Orb, it's max Attack stat is 624, so it's something I always think of for a team with an Agility Passer. It's fragile, though, so it could be hard to BP to it safely. Just figured I'd throw the possibility out there.
If Heatran doesn't work out I'll defenitly keep this in mind.

Once again thanks for all your rates guys!

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I'd tweak the speed evs (what do you want to outspeed after an agility - base 85 scarfers? Base 100 scarfers? etc) , and I really prefer Flamethrower/Fire Blast over Lava Plume.

You can still run Adamant if you want, and invest a few SAtk EVs to somewhat make up for it.

I dunno about not having Focus Blast - Heatran destroys you if you have slept something, for example.

EDIT: Taylor just pointed out something that I completely missed - dragon dancers are a huge threat, especially Tyranitar, even though they have issues setting up (it can only come in on Zapdos, which by then should have an agility) and it's not forcing out anything else. Even though the double-status Gar is an important lead, it might be neccesary to sub it out for a lead taunting Scarfgar with Hidden Power Ice, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast (to prevent rocks from going up early)

Sunday

Rocks, and anything carrying EQ/SE in general, have defenitly been a huge problem for my team in the past few battles. I was also rather embarassed to find AT Blissey walling my team to death once Metagross was gone. Hence, the solution:

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6Spe
Adamant(?) nature (+Atk, -SAtk) (Tempted to go Impish)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge

I'm thinking Restalk with No Guard, Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge over Heatran, or perhaps another variety over Kingdra. However my initial instinct is to remove the 4x Ground weak which means it would go over Heatran, and that leaves me without a restalker so that all fits into place rather nicely IMO. Dynamic Punch + Stone Edge scare off Tar, Blissey and the half flying Dragons. I'd have to run calcs to see how much I take from a +1 Atk Dragon Claw but I would think Machamp would be able to take it easily and rest back to full health.

On that note does shoddy not work for anyone else? I presume it's to do with Plat changes or something...

That is a bad set, as it doesn't provide anything you actually need and is useful, and as Taylor once told me this is the best set for a ResTalker Set. It allows you survive so many hits, and kick ass at the same time as well, and from my experience, Taylor was damn right. I've swept unprepared teams as well.

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP/ 96 Atk / 216 Def / 8 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch (though I prefer to use Stone Edge, as well)

This set will out speed all Blissey, even those with 4 Spe, and KO them with Dynamic Punch. You can survive a Garchomp's Outrage even though it is Uber (showing you that this thing is as sturdy as a rock). It counters Weavile completely, TTar completely as well too. It can survive a Yanmega's Air Slash as well, and KO back with Stone Edge.

Sunday

How can you say "That's a bad set" and then simply re-hash the same moveset I had with the alternate nature I suggested and slightly different EVs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)