Other Metagames Beggin’ To Lose(Peaked #1 on the ZU ladder, 83.7 GXE, 1553 ELO)

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
:ss/throh: :ss/garbodor: :ss/palossand: :ss/cryogonal: :ss/audino: :ss/pyukumuku:

I’m beggin’ you to make ZU an official tier.

After ZU got about a million Pokémon during the January tier shifts, I knew I had to try my luck in this completely new tier. While I am an NU main, I see a lot of similarities between this meta and DLC 1 NU. Many of the same threats that were present there are still here, and because of that, I had a feeling that I’d have similar success here as I have had in NU.

This team is an attempt to make stall work in ZU, a difficult task considering all the threats we have. The original idea for this team is to set up as many hazards on the opponent’s side of the field as possible and wear them through shuffling and item removal.

Proof of Peak:

F16E4A6B-156A-449C-9634-341DB6E1BB8D.png

The Team:

:ss/throh:
Throh
@ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Bulk Up
This set is really fun, and has success in NU tournament and ladder play. The idea of this set is to remove items in the early game, Shuffle mons once the hazards are up, and serve as a win condition against opposing stall and weakened teams. This EV spread was chosen to maximize Bulk and SpD, since it can boost its defense with Bulk Up, and so it can take a hit from the special breakers/wincons and Circle Throw them out. Mold Breaker is chosen specifically for Pyukumuku, as it allows Throh to beat it 1v1 and steamroll opposing stall teams.

:ss/garbodor:
Garbodor
@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
252 HP / 224 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Stomping Tantrum / Corrosive Gas / Rest / Pain Split
The champion of the team, Garbodor is a damn good mon right now. It’s main role for the team is as the Spikes/Tspikes setter of the team, but it offers so much more. It gives the team a defensive wall to fall back on, and a way to deal with many physical threats. In many of my games, Garbodor tends to be sacrificed to trade with many scary breakers like CB Sneasel and Centiskorch. It serves as a way to stop them from clicking their buttons out of fear of killing themselves in the process with Rocky Helmet and Aftermath damage. The EVs are made to maximize Defensive bulk and to out speed modest Eggy A. The move choice is also standard, and that last spot is really flexible. After messing around with all the options, I found Stomping Tantrum to be the best for the team, as Corrosive Gas isn’t needed with 2 Knock Off users. The recovery options are really lacking though, but smart wish passing will keep Garbodor alive as long as needed.

:ss/palossand:
Palossand
@ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Scorching Sands
- Toxic
- Shore Up
Si at this point in team building, I needed a rocker and a Spin blocker. Two Pokémon coo pressed both these roles in one, and Palossand is by far better than Runerigus, so it was the obvious choice for the team. The EVs are for max Defense, and the move set is pretty standard. No need for Shadow Ball in this tier as there is no Xatu to beat, so Toxic is preferred to put annoying switch ins like Eggy A and Cramorant on a timer. Scorching Sands for STAB and Burn chance is preferred over Earth Power because burning a Sneasel sounds so nice.
:ss/cryogonal:
Cryogonal
@ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze Dry
- Haze
- Recover
So at this point I was like, hmm, I need a way to keep hazards off my side of the field, so Rapid Spin Cryo was added to fill this role. Cryo is a very good Pokémon at this time, as it beats most of the Special attackers in the tier. It serves as a more reliable way to beat Eggy, and Frosmoth. Haze was chosen for the godmoth, and other threats like Calm Mind Alcremie. EVs are so I can actually live Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm from Eggy.

:ss/audino:
Audino
@ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Wish
-Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell
The cleric of the team, Audino is the perfect pick for this spot because it gives me a way to heal off status and heal up its teammates. Knock Off was chosen because it’s just a broken move and the EV spread is standard. Audino is pretty good for scouting Specs and Scarf Special Pokémon, and served as the teams main Haunter check while it was here.

:ss/pyukumuku:
Pyukumuku
@ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Spite
- Toxic
- Recover
- Block
Obligatory unaware. Well not really. There are successful stall teams without an unaware Pokémon, but it provides so much security against physical and even special set up Pokémon, that it fit perfectly with how this team functions. Not gonna say much about this little guy, just that I hate how Quag is not in this tier, or NU anymore for that matter >:(

Threat list:
Luckily many of the threats like Toxicroak are banned, but there are still a few Pokémon that annoy this team.

:centiskorch:
Centiskorch- No real counter to it on this team, there area few ways to beat it though. I usually try to get a toxic off on it, and then proceed to chop it down with Garbodor. Alternatively, you could just trade Garb w it. You usually end up w a spike up or something afterwards, but losing Hazards early is always a pain.

:sneasel:
Sneasel- Once again, no true switch in, if Garb is already gone, it kinda just clicks moves. Rocks up help, but Sneasel+Spikes just ruins this team.

:poliwrath:
Poliwrath- This ones kind strange, but Resttalk Poli is just generally annoying. It Circle Throws your Throh first, so you don’t get much damage off onit. Kinda just have to play the long game and keep Garb alive for this guy.

:cofagrigus:
Cofagrigus- Sort of a threat, but you have Pyuku for Iron Defense, just make sure you preserve PP, or it beats the rest of the team easily, and has a chance to out stall you.

Replays:

Stall vs.The mf threats
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1259268555-inqtpqkk2nfygl7d37se7m7rz3ncax7pw

Stall vs. Ho3nconfirm3d’s Balance Team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1260162641-ebkmcgjjjhtxz40d0ucv29nozmd3jjppw

Stall vs. Skuntank Balance
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1260737421-0v9pqkegydzcnpznfnbz5eiyq1999tzpw

Conclusion:
ZU is a fun tier, and I am really loving the games and the community. The team functions well, and although there are a few threats, it can lead to much success. Hope you guys enjoy the team, and please make ZU official.

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/8867274b8a4f870b

Last edited:
Hey dude,

Just wanted to say publicly congrats for your team and first spot on ladder. As you may probably know, I love stall and just wanted to say that your team is pretty balanced and you have demonstrated that hazard stacking works pretty well on the tier.

:Qwilfish: I think it would help against both Sneasel and Centiskorch and it has Intimidate and similar bulk to :Garbodor:. For everything else I think your team is untouchable. One could think maybe Sableye and no Palossand as a possibility but I have tried it and Palossand is a better check/counter for Rapid Spinners than Sableye and it pairs with Pyukumuku really well.

Thanks for bringing this hot stall!

Last edited:

Danny

ZU Circuit Champion
Hey dude,

Just wanted to say publicly congrats for your team and first spot on ladder. As you may probably know, I love stall and just wanted to say that your team is pretty balanced and you have demonstrated that hazard stacking works pretty well on the tier.
I think it would help against both Sneasel and Centiskorch and it has Intimidate and similar bulk to :Garbodor:. For everything else I think your team is untouchable. One could think maybe Sableye and no Palossand as a possibility but I have tried it and Palossand is a better check/counter for Rapid Spinners than Sableye and it pairs with Pyukumuku really well.

Thanks for bringing this hot stall!
Thanks for the rate man. I considered using Qwilfish, just in the building process I didn’t want to stack electric weaks as fantom looks generally annoying with volt switch. But between audino and cryo I could try out fish and be fine.

Last edited:
On the Pokepaste you have Crogonal as Careful rather than Calm, just a heads up. Also, nice team. I'm just getting used to the PU/ZU format because this is my first time playing it in my five years of using Showdown, as this meta around there's a lot of variety and I think it's good.

Danny

ZU Circuit Champion
On the Pokepaste you have Crogonal as Careful rather than Calm, just a heads up. Also, nice team. I'm just getting used to the PU/ZU format because this is my first time playing it in my five years of using Showdown, as this meta around there's a lot of variety and I think it's good.
Thanks dude didn’t realize that! Will update. Hope you enjoy the team, and I will be posting many other teams in the future!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)