SM OU Beginner in Need of Help, Hopefully a Team That Feels Unique (Bulky Sand?)

excadrillpng-excadrill-png-256_256.png
download.jpg
Tangrowth.png
Celesteela.png
1506055774020.png
Rotom_(Heat_Rotom).png

Hi, me again. I had recently made a RMT Post here not too long ago, featuring a core of Mega Gallade and Tapu Lele. However, it was brought to my attention that this team that I had originally made was very similar to a team used by HSA in a tour. Granted, I understand that teams are bound to look very similar to one another at times, but a part of me wasn't satisfied with making a team that was already done. I went back to the drawing board, and, although I still do use the team I had previously made with several changes suggested to me, I still wanted something with my own sort of stamp to it. So, this is what I have come up with, though I admit that I've had a few issues with this, and would love another set of eyes to look over it.

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

First thing first, I went back to the core thread, just like the first time I did with the Mega Gallade and Tapu Lele team, and looked for a core I hadn't seen done in my limited experience in what you'd all consider "low ladder". I know that this isn't necessarily the best place to pick out a unique core, as you run into some very weird things that should really never see the light of day in OU, but it was at least something to go off of. One thing I noted was that there are a LOT of weather oriented teams in low ladder, especially Rain. That being said, I've seen Rain, I've seen Sun, I've seen Aurora Veil Hail, but Sand doesn't seem to exist at all. So, I made the call to try a take on a Sandstorm Team, featuring Sand Rush Excadrill and Mega Tyranitar. Excadrill was the very standard Sand Rush set, I didn't want to deviate too far from what the template was provided, Swords Dance makes Excadrill not just go fast, but hit extremely hard as well, Earthquake and Iron Head are powerful STAB options, with Iron Head also activating our Steelium-Z for a very powerful one time nuke, and Rapid Spin is there for just a little bit of emergency utility. Tyranitar, on the other hand, acts as our enabler for Excadrill, setting up Sand upon switching in. Furthermore, Tyranitar holds further utility as our Stealth Rocks setter, though I've been considering running a different coverage move over Rocks, and give this job instead to Clefable. The rest of the boves are used to pressure teams with a massive punch, Stone Edge is our very hard hitting STAB, while Pursuit allows us to pick off switching targets that become too afraid to stick around. Finally, I remembered from my last RMT that it was a good idea to slightly tweak Smogon sets for my advantage, so, I decided to take a bit of a gamble and run Ice Punch over Fire Punch. This allows us to catch common threats to our Excadrill's sweep off guard with a surprise icy fist, primariy Landorous-Therian, Gliscor, and Garchomp.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Excadrill not only needs checks to threats that could stop it's threatening sweep, but teammates who can come in and take hits from things that may threaten it. Tangrowth acts as a fantastic check to Greninja, specifically Ash Greninja. It's just big, bulky, can easily come in and out despite the constant chip it can take from Sandstorms thanks to Regenerator. Giga Drain is our STAB of choice, solely for the regeneration, though I was also considering Power Whip for this spot. Knock Off allows us to remove items nicely, allowing us to cripple item reliant sets, like Chancey, and allows us to potentially cripple some Choice Item users, reducing their Speed or Power drastically. Hidden Power Ice is our go to option whenever we see, again, Garchomp, Landorous-Therian, or Gliscor coming in on the switch. Finally, Earthquake is very nice to help nail Heatran, Magearna, and Mega Mawile.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Another massive threat to our success is none other than Mega Alakazam, as it can trace our Sand Rush and easily one shot us before we can even move. Of the options available to check Mega Alakazam, I chose Celesteela to take the reigns. This set is unchanged from the Smogon set, so the goal here is pretty simple. Celesteela's EVs allow it to boost Sp. Def upon a kill, which, granted, doesnt happen too often, but it can be useful in those strange cases where it does come up. Leech Seed is the only source of health regeneration Celesteela has, so it is a bit of a "must run" option, along with Protect. Heavy Slam is great for general STAB damage, and Flamethrower is used so that it isn't hard walled by Ferrothorn.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Wish

These last two members came after some initial testing around with the team. Throughout matches earlier on with this team, I began to realize that my team struggles standing on its own two feet at times due to being worn down over time. Clefable helps remedy this issue. I'm running a Magic Guard set to ignore passive chip damage from Sand, and I also chose to run Thunder Wave over Knock Off to help with naturally fast threats, such as Mega Lopunny. Moonblast is general STAB, and I'm running Wish and Protect for reliable healing, while also keeping my other teammates on their feet, keeping them from being totally worn down.

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

This last slot was really weird for a while, as I wasn't, nor am I now, sure as to who makes sense for this spot. In order to assist with Excadrill dealing massive damage, I needed an answer to those bulky Steel Types that were immune to Earthquake, like Celesteela and Skarmory, but I also needed a reliable answer to beiting up on bulky Grass types as well, like Tangrowth and Ferrothorn. Upon me realizing this, I wasn't really sure what to do, so I decided to try something a little bit weird, just to see if it would work out. Rotom-Heat seems to actually be doing a pretty alright job, holding a bunch of very useful resistances, another immunity to ground, and, of course, hits all of the mentioned threats very, very hard. I wasn't exactly sure how to build this Pokemon for the OU meta, so this is actually the standard set that one would find in UU, and it seems to be holding it's own reasonably well, though a part of me still questions if this was a good call, or if i should try something else. Defog acts as a more safe way to remove hazards, despite the weakness to Rocks, Volt Switch is for both Electric STAB and momentum, Overheat is a powerful nuke of an attack, even without much Sp Atk investment, and finally, Toxic is mainly run to cripple defensive walls.

Anyways, that's what I have for now. Granted, when I first set out trying to make this team, I had a very different vision as to what this would be, but somehow would up with this really bulky take on a Sand team. I enjoy the teambuilding process quite a bit, but this one has me a bit stumped. To start, I find this team very reliant on the chip damage from Sandstorm and Rocks, but the team itself tends to get worn down quite a bit, and relies a lot on passing heals via Wish or Leech Seed, so the team has a little bit of an identity crisis. It wants to be stally, but can struggle to do so. It can hit hard, but it also seems to struggle to do this at times as well. I want someone with more experience to give this team a try and point out what should change to achieve it's goal more successfully, so I came here to see if I could achieve this goal. Of course, any and all advice is welcome, I can't hope to improve without critique after all. Thank you for reading this, it means a lot.​

I have to say, this team looks pretty good.
Personally, I'd run rocks on clef, and softboiled instead of wish, and then give Mega Ttar another coverage move such as Fire Punch, Crunch, Or even EQ, but your sets are reasonable aswell.
Apart from that, good job!

Nice team! I'd just say on Clefable you should probably run unaware it is a lot more useful against spammers.
Unaware Clefable is usually used on stall teams, which this team isn't. Magic Guard is usually more useful as it prevents Clefable from being worn down from passive damage, which is especially useful on this team because of the sand.

Personally, rotomheat has no place here and changing it for something that can abuse sandstorm, and cover some weaknesses would be a standard ScarfLandoT.

Nice team! I'd just say on Clefable you should probably run unaware it is a lot more useful against spammers.
Unaware Clefable is a very nieche pick for either stall or to reliably check Hawlucha without using the tremendously overused Toxapex, which many teams come well prepared for. However, Magic Guard Clefable is just simply better most of the time as it ignores entry hazards completely (outside of Sticky Web) and won't get damaged by poison/burn (which is huge), augmenting its sticking power and utility.

Hi Retrospective, first of all, I enjoyed the team quite a lot as I'm a big fan of sand in generation 7, but I've also came up with some improvements which make the team more reliable and overall better I've found.

1. Stealth Rock -> Crunch + Ice Punch -> Earthquake on Mega Tyranitar
Mega Tyranitar is a huge pick these days and people who know how to pilot it properly are scarce, but that only speaks for its traits, rather than against them. I've found that Tyranitar really thirsts for redundant moves in this case and decided to outsource Stealth Rock onto another Pokemon, which enables Tyranitar to run Crunch to more effectively tackle Pokemon it actually has a good matchup against such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Latios, Mega Latias, Tapu Lele (in terms of finishing it after chip and in a pinch), etc. and Earthquake to reliably take down Heatran, which this team is not only rather weak to, but also weak against. Ice Punch is more of a glue move and tended to be more of a hinderance than a viable move on Tyranitar, which is why I removed it for the more redundant Earthquake.

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

2. Tangrowth -> Tapu Bulu
This change was the most obvious one to me at least. While I'm a roaring fanboy of Tangrowth, it just kind of didn't work well on this team, it was too passive and didn't support as much as it should have. Tapu Bulu provides a tremendously useful grassy terrain, which Tyranitar and friends love, as it provides some passive recovery, while powering up Tapu Bulu's grass type moves which make this Pokemon so difficult to handle for some teams while also being able to severely hurt its switch-ins with Stone Edge, Superpower and proper prediction and lowering Earthquake damage. This team does have some speed control with Excadrill, but that relies upon sand being up, making it less reliable than a Choice Scarf user. This set provided the team with adequate damage and recovery support, outclassing Tangrowth on this build by a mile in my eyes. If you really don't care about the extra speed control, a more bulky hybrid between the choiced and the bulky Leftovers version did also work out well.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower/Swords Dance
- Stone Edge/Swords Dance
- Protect

3. Thunder Wave -> Calm Mind on Clefable
I can't stress this enough, the stall matchup was unwinnable. Excadrill + Rotom-Heat is not enough to break stall. Instead of running paralysis support, this set is capable of breaking down stall on its own, as it won't get touched by entry hazards and Toxic while boosting, breaking and healing. Even Skarmory emergency phazing will get chipped heavily and forced out immediately sometimes, enabling you to repeat the process until it's down, boosting up to +6 and simply winning the game. When the choice is between yellow magic and a really good stall matchup, my money is on the latter 100% of the time.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

4. Rotom-Heat -> Heatran
You mentioned not really being happy with Rotom-Heat, Heatran is a great abuser of grassy terrain, a great rocker and amazing special blanket check. Defog wasn't needed as you already have Rapid Spin and Lava Plume is more resilient than Overheat. Heatran is also better at checking Scizor than Rotom-Heat and better at abusing Tyranitar's sand. Overall, Heatran just put in way more work than Rotom, hence why I've chosen it over the latter.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 108 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Hi Retrospective, first of all, I enjoyed the team quite a lot as I'm a big fan of sand in generation 7, but I've also came up with some improvements which make the team more reliable and overall better I've found.

1. Stealth Rock -> Crunch + Ice Punch -> Earthquake on Mega Tyranitar
Mega Tyranitar is a huge pick these days and people who know how to pilot it properly are scarce, but that only speaks for its traits, rather than against them. I've found that Tyranitar really thirsts for redundant moves in this case and decided to outsource Stealth Rock onto another Pokemon, which enables Tyranitar to run Crunch to more effectively tackle Pokemon it actually has a good matchup against such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Latios, Mega Latias, Tapu Lele (in terms of finishing it after chip and in a pinch), etc. and Earthquake to reliably take down Heatran, which this team is not only rather weak to, but also weak against. Ice Punch is more of a glue move and tended to be more of a hinderance than a viable move on Tyranitar, which is why I removed it for the more redundant Earthquake.

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

2. Tangrowth -> Tapu Bulu
This change was the most obvious one to me at least. While I'm a roaring fanboy of Tangrowth, it just kind of didn't work well on this team, it was too passive and didn't support as much as it should have. Tapu Bulu provides a tremendously useful grassy terrain, which Tyranitar and friends love, as it provides some passive recovery, while powering up Tapu Bulu's grass type moves which make this Pokemon so difficult to handle for some teams while also being able to severely hurt its switch-ins with Stone Edge, Superpower and proper prediction and lowering Earthquake damage. This team does have some speed control with Excadrill, but that relies upon sand being up, making it less reliable than a Choice Scarf user. This set provided the team with adequate damage and recovery support, outclassing Tangrowth on this build by a mile in my eyes. If you really don't care about the extra speed control, a more bulky hybrid between the choiced and the bulky Leftovers version did also work out well.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower/Swords Dance
- Stone Edge/Swords Dance
- Protect

3. Thunder Wave -> Calm Mind on Clefable
I can't stress this enough, the stall matchup was unwinnable. Excadrill + Rotom-Heat is not enough to break stall. Instead of running paralysis support, this set is capable of breaking down stall on its own, as it won't get touched by entry hazards and Toxic while boosting, breaking and healing. Even Skarmory emergency phazing will get chipped heavily and forced out immediately sometimes, enabling you to repeat the process until it's down, boosting up to +6 and simply winning the game. When the choice is between yellow magic and a really good stall matchup, my money is on the latter 100% of the time.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

4. Rotom-Heat -> Heatran
You mentioned not really being happy with Rotom-Heat, Heatran is a great abuser of grassy terrain, a great rocker and amazing special blanket check. Defog wasn't needed as you already have Rapid Spin and Lava Plume is more resilient than Overheat. Heatran is also better at checking Scizor than Rotom-Heat and better at abusing Tyranitar's sand. Overall, Heatran just put in way more work than Rotom, hence why I've chosen it over the latter.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 108 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic
Dude, suggesting Tapu Bulu to this team isn't seems good for me. Grassy Terrain will lower the damage of Excadrill's EQ. Also it doesn't need that much lower the EQ damage since he has Celesteela as Ground-immunity. Choice Scarf Bulu doesn't make any sense for me, and while, SpDef Bulu can be good to check Ash-Greninja and Mega Zam, the Tangrowth + Celesteela checks them pretty well, and also, Tangrowth helps him dealing with rain, as with M-Tyranitar and Tangrowth, rain can have a rough time.

If anything, I would suggestion you make Tangrowth PhysDef to deal better with rain, and replace Rotom-H with Toxapex to have a chance against M-Charizard Y, which is a bitch for this team to face because of no switch-in, and keeping a strong answer against Ash-Greninja.

Clefable can be keeped and make it CM to have a better shot against stall. If this doesn't work, Reuniclus can be used, but I prefer Clefable.

Good team buddy! I'm in love with sand this gen, and the best way to use it, is making a semi-fat team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)