BeGRUDGEd [Now playable on the Russian server!]

Approved by Eevee General and The Immortal
Thumbs-up from unfixable and hollywood

When knocking out an opponent leaves a mark.

Hey there, wayfarer! What are you suggesting here?

Hello, OM players! This metagame's premise takes inspiration from the effect of the move Grudge, which is the following: if the user faints, the user's grudge fully depletes the PP of the opponent's move that knocked it out. This move is rarely ever used (if used at all) in competitive battling due to it being vastly outclassed by other moves, like Destiny Bond and even Memento.

In this metagame the effect of the move is applied to all direct moves. As such, every time a Pokémon ends up knocked out by an attack its opponent loses all PP of said move.

This will force you to think twice before spamming the same move over and over.

And which could be the most influential changes of this metagame?

- If at first there was the concept of sacking a Pokemon, now you'd better be ready to sack a move as well and should be careful about when to use a certain move. Revenge killers, sweepers with few coverage moves and monoattacking stallmons may not be very pleased. :P

- Lunar Dance will be particularly useful here, since it can heal the lost PP of a team member. Could a combo of a "PP scapegoat" and Lunar Dance Smeargle/Cresselia become an actual thing?

- Choice items aren't very recommended, except if you're using a hit-and-run strategy. Otherwise, prepare to struggle to death!

- Leppa Berry could actually have a niche here, by giving you another shot with a single move. However, the downside is that you won't be able to use other items and the berry can be used only once. Could Harvest Pokemon become more usable here? Could we see a rise of Pluck/Bug Bite/Trick/Switcheroo? Could Recycle and Pickup finally find an actual use?

Do you have other interesting ideas? Feel free to share them!

Ok, got it. Rules?

Currently it follows the standard OU clauses and banlist.

Tell me! Where can I play it?

Thanks to Elveman, you can play it on the Russian Pokemon Community server.

With that said, prepare yourselves against the dark effects of the grudges! Darklatias92, out!

Last edited:
This meta sounds really cool! Running two moves of the same type could be viable here. Think draco meteor dragon pulse latios or hyper voice return altaria. Stall gets a boost, as they can use status moves to take out pokemon and sack pokemon to wallbreakers to neuter them.

This meta sounds really cool! Running two moves of the same type could be viable here. Think draco meteor dragon pulse latios or hyper voice return altaria. Stall gets a boost, as they can use status moves to take out pokemon and sack pokemon to wallbreakers to neuter them.
On the other hand, Stall gets shaken by the fact they don't run as many attacking moves and are limited in their means to take out the opposition without becoming sitting ducks.

RIP choice items then. Also rip curselax and resttalk cm Suicune. Basically anything that runs only one or two attacks are nerfed. If Mega Sableye KO something with Dark Pulse or Shadow Ball, or Clefable with Moonblast or Stored Power, it become kinda useless because it can no longer attack or have fewer options for attack. It has to rely on status to wear down things (Magic Guard and Magic Bounce says hi).

Basically, the fewer attack the poke has, the faster that poke's usefulness expired. I can see this being Regenerator, Magic Guard or Magic Bounce infested meta to minimize or prevent status or damage from entry hazards, as those are the only way to deplete a poke's health without losing pp.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I feel like a lot of pokemon are going to struggle in this metagame...

I can see Volt-Turn strategies working pretty well as well. Volt Switch / U-turn + Hard hitting attacks you don't losing.

config/formats.js
Code:
  {
   name: "BeGRUDGEd",
   section: "Custom Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
  banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Mawilite', 'Salamencite'],
  onFaint: function (target, source, effect) {
     if (!source || !effect) return;
     if (effect.effectType === 'Move' && !effect.isFutureMove) {
       for (var i in source.moveset) {
         if (source.moveset[i].id === source.lastMove) {
           source.moveset[i].pp = 0;
           this.add('-activate', source, 'Grudge', this.getMove(source.lastMove).name);
           }
         }
       }
     }
   },

As far as I could test, it worked.
Also implemented on Russian Pokemon Community server

config/formats.js
Code:
  {
   name: "BeGRUDGEd",
   section: "Custom Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
  banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Mawilite', 'Salamencite'],
  onFaint: function (target, source, effect) {
     if (!source || !effect) return;
     if (effect.effectType === 'Move' && !effect.isFutureMove) {
       for (var i in source.moveset) {
         if (source.moveset[i].id === source.lastMove) {
           source.moveset[i].pp = 0;
           this.add('-activate', source, 'Grudge', this.getMove(source.lastMove).name);
           }
         }
       }
     }
   },

As far as I could test, it worked.
Also implemented on Russian Pokemon Community server
Wow, that was fast! Thanks!

I've updated the OP. Very well, people... time to prepare your Leppas!

I think what we're going to see here is a lot more weakness-stacking than you would in standard. Running three Earthquake-weak Pokemon? Not a problem, because they sure as hell aren't going to be swept by the same Pokemon. I don't know that there's some equivalent for offense, because the inevitable mismatch between what offense you 'stack' and what defenses the opponent 'stacks' is going to benefit the defending opponent.

Also, with the need to pick and choose what move you kill something with, recovery should also be good to force the opponent's hand -- if something's worn down, you can drop it with some move that you don't need, but if it's 2HKO or GTFO, it's easier to force the opponent's hand.

Clefable, like in many OMs, looks like a fuckin' boss -- Magic Guard means that, if this is dying, something is losing PP in the process. And recovery means that it's probably from the most powerful move of the 'mon in question.

Basically, I'm pretty sure that bulky offense with hazard and status support is probably the best archetype in this meta.

I think what we're going to see here is a lot more weakness-stacking than you would in standard. Running three Earthquake-weak Pokemon? Not a problem, because they sure as hell aren't going to be swept by the same Pokemon. I don't know that there's some equivalent for offense, because the inevitable mismatch between what offense you 'stack' and what defenses the opponent 'stacks' is going to benefit the defending opponent.

Also, with the need to pick and choose what move you kill something with, recovery should also be good to force the opponent's hand -- if something's worn down, you can drop it with some move that you don't need, but if it's 2HKO or GTFO, it's easier to force the opponent's hand.

Clefable, like in many OMs, looks like a fuckin' boss -- Magic Guard means that, if this is dying, something is losing PP in the process. And recovery means that it's probably from the most powerful move of the 'mon in question.

Basically, I'm pretty sure that bulky offense with hazard and status support is probably the best archetype in this meta.
Actually, people can still play around by having "redudant" coverage. You can bring Mega Pinsir with Return + Double Edge + Thrash in one set and get at least three kills. That goes the same for Talonflame with Brave Bird + Acrobatics or Manaphy with Tail Glow + Surf + Scald in a set.

Edit: how would multi turn moves like Thrash, Outrage, Rollout work? Does it instantly stop after you kill with an Outrage or Thrash?

Actually, people can still play around by having "redudant" coverage. You can bring Mega Pinsir with Return + Double Edge + Thrash in one set and get at least three kills. That goes the same for Talonflame with Brave Bird + Acrobatics or Manaphy with Tail Glow + Surf + Scald in a set.
They can do that, yeah, but then those 'mons are that much easier to wall -- redundant coverage isn't compatible with actual coverage. And it still relies on the coincidence of someone stacking that particular weakness. Not that one necessarily stacks weaknesses here, but you get what I'm saying.

Edit: how would multi turn moves like Thrash, Outrage, Rollout work? Does it instantly stop after you kill with an Outrage or Thrash?
You aren't actually using PP after the first turn of Thrash and Outrage. (Nowadays) There's really no reason to expect Thrash and Outrage (Or any other move that works exactly like them) to stop instantly because of running out of PP. Otherwise the last PP of Outrage and Thrash would always last one turn, which isn't what happens.

Rollout (And Ice Ball) I would expect to force one turn of Struggle after a KO and then de-lock the Pokemon, though I'm having trouble finding evidence of people testing Grudge on anything ever, so...

In general the PP loss should only matter for multi-turn moves when they try to drain PP. Simple as that.

Hey a meta in which Magic Guard Alakazam isn't really lame and inferior to like Sheer Force Nidoking!

For that matter Reuniclus and Sigilyph are a lot more interesting. A team of the four Magic Guarders (Actually, you can have five with Eviolite Duosion, who has the same Special Attack as Reuniclus, or 6 if you throw in Eviolite Clefairy) is kind of mean, albeit gimmicky, since if the enemy doesn't suppress/replace your Ability they have to lose PP on moves every time you lose a Pokemon. Combine with Gothitelle and you could potentially lure the enemy into losing all their attacking moves/moves capable of taking out Gothitelle on one Pokemon and have Gothitelle go for a setup sweep.

In general trapping is even stronger than normal, since any Pokemon with only one attacking move can potentially lose the move and then a trapper revenge-switches and Taunts them. (Both Gothitelle and Probopass can do this, though unfortunately Arena Trap provides no such options and Magnezone can't do it either)

After seeing this, the first thing to come to mind for me: Suicide Pokemon + Choice Scarf + Trick/Switcheroo. After the suicide mon dies, switch in with a trapper to set up.

I think it's interesting to note that stall could actually find a use for false swipe- it weakens them enough that leech seed/ toxic will finish them, but it won't be effected by grudge itself. I'm not sure it would actually work that well in practice, but it might.

Gliscor, Breloom, (Mega) Venusaur. Two of these three also like to hit things with Leech Seed, and Breloom and Gliscor often hit things Physically anyway even while doing the stall thing.

Hold Back, on the other hand, is limited to a tiny pool of offensively slanted Pokemon.

EV

Banned deucer.
Here's a strategy that could KO some mons without getting Grudged: Endeavor.

• Stack it with Sand or Hail for that last bit of residual chip damage to take out the foe.
  • Stack it with status, see above.
  • Whirlwind/Roar around the foes with hazards up after you hit them with Endeavor to finish them off.
  • A really gimmicky trick is to pack multiple priority moves so that way you can use the combo more than once on the same mon.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/russianpokecenter-begrudged-361
People REALLY like Stall in this meta because of idea of slowly wearing down your opponent's Pokemon with Toxic or Burn damage. Clefable, Mega Sableye and Heatran are good in this format because of Magic Guard and Cleric abilities, Magic Bounce and ability to spinblock, or just simply immunity to Burn and Toxic with ability to set up Stealth Rock and spread status.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/russianpokecenter-begrudged-360
However I don't think that this format can be only played with Stall. HO can be great in this meta. Pack some all-out attackers with Substitute and do not worry about your moves THAT much. You can use some mons that have vast range of coverage moves like Mega Alakazam, Gengar, Serperior or Manaphy (who can heal itself with Rain).
Also do not try to translate dialogs from the second battle ._.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For Talonflame, Aerial Ace is a nice option for revenge killing weakened threats due to its use beyond that not existing, making it a good move to sacrifice when you first bring in Talonflame.

edit: on the topic of Aerial Ace, expect to see the rise of weak moves on faster 'mons in this meta in order to preserve the PP of more powerful ones when revenge killing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)