BellyZard RMT

Working on a team for the Pokemon Nationals which are being held not far from where I live.

Lucario @ Focus Sash "Georgie"
Inner Focus, Lonely
1. Crunch
2. Close Combat
3. Counter
4. ExtremeSpeed
EVs: 252 atk/252 spe/4 hp

Awesome anti lead. kills any attempt at fake out and handles pretty much any physical lead really well. has trouble with swampert leads but if he decides on EQ I can switch to gengar. other than that I haven't seen too many physical based leads he has a tough time with. as far as specials go gengar is the big threat because vaporeon can't safely switch in on it.

Charizard @ Salac Berry "DrummaHoff"
Blaze, Jolly
1. Belly Drum
2. Substitute
3. Fire Punch
4. Earthquake
EVs: 252 atk/252 spe/4 def

Main sweeper of the team. Receives acid armor passes from Vaporeon making his life easier. VERY destructive obviously, and though usually I use EQ on this set, I'm considering fly since the tournament is doubles and I don't want to be ruining my other pokemon. probably still go with EQ though because with +spe nature and max speed EVs he can counter tyranitar with earthquake in a pinch, or at least try.

Donphan @ Leftovers "Nasonex"
Sturdy, Impish
1. Rapid Spin
2. Earthquake
3. Ice Shard
4. Stealth Rock
EVs: 252 hp/252 def/4 atk

Classic tank, anti dragon. switches in on any physical dragon build for an easy kill. rapid spin support is a must for charizard (due to stealth rock) and I pick donphan over forretress because of the physical dragon countering ability. stealth rock only makes charizard more deadly.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers "Ops"
Water Absorb, Calm
1. Surf
2. Protect
3. Wish
4. Hidden Power Electric
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe

standard wish support vaporeon, very helpful to lucario and somewhat useful to charizard as well. HP elec prevents gyarados sweep as Vaporeon totally walls him out, surf gives the extra type coverage in addition to STAB. I know protect is the standard for vap but I don't really see the utility in it since the majority of the time I'll be using wish to heal things other than myself, could I replace with ice beam?

next two I'm not so sure about:

Gengar @ Life Orb "Lil Alex"
Levitate, Timid
1. Shadow Ball
2. Thunderbolt
3. Energy Ball
4. Focus Blast
EVs: 252 spa/252 spe/4 def

standard special sweep. comes in on lucario counters and other things that like to use fighting and ground attacks. threw energy ball in there to help with my otherwise rather serious swampert problem, but I think I may need an additional backup because other than gengar swampy pretty much stops my whole team in its tracks. is gengar alone adequate or should I look for something else?

Scizor @ Life Orb "Osiris"
Technician, Adamant
1. Bullet Punch
2. Swords Dance
3. U-Turn
4. Pursuit
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe / 36 SpD

need help with the EVs on this guy, I want to throw in some special defense in order to have him take advantage of his typing and give him the ability to switch in on something but I'm not sure how many is a good number to give him.

keep in mind that the tournament is doubles. any advice would be appreciated.

why would you consider Fly on anything? it's bait for anything that resists it to switch in and/or give the poke that's out a free turn to set up on you... also, Fire Punch + EQ is about the best coverage BellyZard can hope for (i run a Bellymander on my LC team. i would kill for EQ instead of Brick Break)

EDIT: it'd also probably be a good idea to lengthen your descriptions or this could be locked

Any team running Bellyzard needs something that can set up Sunny Day imo, otherwise you risk letting sandstorm and hail ruining Bellyzard far too quickly. A grass type with Chlorophyll , such as Tangrowth or Exeggutor would be a good choice to help beat the bulky water who might try to wall Charizard. If you're going to drop something for them, I'd reccomend Dragonite, as he seems to be the least essential poke' here. I wouldn't bother baton passing to Charizard, with just 25 percent of his hp he can't take a hit from anything anyway. otherwise the sets all look fine.

Any team running Bellyzard needs something that can set up Sunny Day imo, otherwise you risk letting sandstorm and hail ruining Bellyzard far too quickly. A grass type with Chlorophyll , such as Tangrowth or Exeggutor would be a good choice to help beat the bulky water who might try to wall Charizard. If you're going to drop something for them, I'd reccomend Dragonite, as he seems to be the least essential poke' here. I wouldn't bother baton passing to Charizard, with just 25 percent of his hp he can't take a hit from anything anyway. otherwise the sets all look fine.
been using bellyzard at the core of my team for a long time and I've never had sunny day around it, but it's an interesting thought. I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Vaporeon should have HP Electric in place of Ice Beam. Otherwise, Gyarados destroys your team. Have a Bold nature with 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe EVs. Vaporeon is a tank that generally takes physical attacks. So max out Def and have 188 HP for maximum Leftovers recovery. Rest goes into Spe to outrun most Metagross, Skarmory and CB Scizor. Donphan can switch into Outrage and return the favour with Ice Shard, so I wouldn't be too worried about missing Ice Beam.

Dragonite isn't doing much for the team. I would replace it with CB Scizor. U-turn is a great way for getting Charizard into play safely. Its typing and Bullet Punch works great against Dragon types, especially special Dragon attacks, which Donphan cannot shrug off. If you want something specially defense focused, Scizor works - just take some EVs from HP and Atk. Also, Scizor's one weakness (Fire) is resisted by Vaporeon and Charizard; it forms good team synergy with these two. Finally, Scizor is a Toxic absorber, and can take Grass attacks directed at Vaporeon.

Donphan should have Stealth Rock in place of Knock Off. Stealth Rock is an invaluable move, especially with BellyZard. It guarantees OHKOs with Fire Punch on 4 HP / min Salamence and Gyarados.

Dragonite doesn't make an excellent special wall because of his 4x weakness to ice. If you were to use him, I find maxing out special defense is a good option. Mine has 100 HP, 152 Atk and 252 SpD jolly nature and ice beam can't even 2HKO him. So I suppose you could put the attack EVs into speed and give him him careful nature for maximum special defense. As for giving Charizard Fly, that overlaps with Fire Punch for type coverage. For double battles, Rock Slide might be a better option for flying types and hitting both of the opponents pokemon, but doesn't have as much effectiveness as EQ.

Vaporeon should have HP Electric in place of Ice Beam. Otherwise, Gyarados destroys your team. Have a Bold nature with 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe EVs. Vaporeon is a tank that generally takes physical attacks. So max out Def and have 188 HP for maximum Leftovers recovery. Rest goes into Spe to outrun most Metagross, Skarmory and CB Scizor. Donphan can switch into Outrage and return the favour with Ice Shard, so I wouldn't be too worried about missing Ice Beam.

Dragonite isn't doing much for the team. I would replace it with CB Scizor. U-turn is a great way for getting Charizard into play safely. Its typing and Bullet Punch works great against Dragon types, especially special Dragon attacks, which Donphan cannot shrug off. If you want something specially defense focused, Scizor works - just take some EVs from HP and Atk. Also, Scizor's one weakness (Fire) is resisted by Vaporeon and Charizard; it forms good team synergy with these two. Finally, Scizor is a Toxic absorber, and can take Grass attacks directed at Vaporeon.

Donphan should have Stealth Rock in place of Knock Off. Stealth Rock is an invaluable move, especially with BellyZard. It guarantees OHKOs with Fire Punch on 4 HP / min Salamence and Gyarados.
any specific recommendations for scizor's EVs?

any specific recommendations for scizor's EVs?
EV spread looks good, but let's talk about your moveset/item choice for a second.

For starters, Pursuit and U-Turn work best on a CB Set, since giving them maximum power is a must. They aren't very synergistic with Swords Dance, since they don't really give you any added coverage (besides pursuit on Rotom-H, but he's going to outspeed and OHKO you anyways so you shouldn't be staying in, plus you can never hit him on the switch-in with it) and U-Turn throws away any SD boost you have. I suggest you change the move/item set to one of these two choices:

Life Orb / Bullet Punch / X-Scissor / Brick Break or Superpower / Swords Dance
-or-
Choice Band / Bullet Punch / U-Turn / Brick Break or Superpower / Pursuit

X-Scissor beats out U-turn on the SD set due to better power and not losing your boosts. A fighting move is necessary so you don't get walled by Steel types, on either set you play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)