best NBA player at each position, of all time

We already have a thread for best current NBA players so why not this?

I tried to find a list of players for each position but I can't find an all time list so you guys will have to do it from memory. If anybody can find a list, it would be nice if you'd post it.

PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Karl Malone
C - Bill Russell

and here's a little extra - my favorites! Feel free to do this if you want as well.

PG - John Stockton
SG - nobody comes to mind
SF - Julius Erving
PF - Dennis Rodman
C - Bill Laimbeer!

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good thread, I picked my favorites + best

PG. John Stockton
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. Larry Bird
PF. Tim Duncan
C. Shaquille O'neal (prime)

PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Karl Malone
C - Bill Russell
Probably the only list really acceptable, You could argue Shaq for C and Duncan for PF, too, but the 1,2,and 3 are kinda locked.

Good thread, I picked my favorites + best

PG. John Stockton
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. Larry Bird
PF. Tim Duncan
C. Shaquille O'neal (prime)
lol Malone over Tim Duncan. In a world where winning does not matter, sure, but this is fucking planet Earth.

It is more like Shaq when he actually gives a shit than his prime...;____; Shaq was like a slightly less grating Chamberlain in terms of attitude and how it infected his play, when you actually stop and closely think about it.

I would go with Johnson/Jordan/Bird/Duncan/Shaq, so nothing that controversial from my opinion this time.

We already have a thread for best current NBA players so why not this?

I tried to find a list of players for each position but I can't find an all time list so you guys will have to do it from memory. If anybody can find a list, it would be nice if you'd post it.

PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Karl Malone
C - Bill Russell

and here's a little extra - my favorites! Feel free to do this if you want as well.

PG - John Stockton
SG - nobody comes to mind
SF - Julius Erving
PF - Dennis Rodman
C - Bill Laimbeer!
Even though Russel played Center, I think youd have to move him to PF and maybe consider putting Jabbar at center. If not at least put him on the second team since he always seems to be forgotten about for the numbers he put up every season. Plus for all the people that are going to put Lebron at the 3, please hop off his beef -_____-... He needs to win a ship first before he even is thought of in this conversation

Heres my list:

PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Karl Malone
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Pretty similar to Zero's first list, but I think Kareem deserves the center spot. Kobe still isn't quite good enough to take over SG. You could argue John Stockton at PG, but Magic won more championships and was a much better player overall.

PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Karl Malone
C - Shaquille O'Neal

And who actually said kobe??? seriously?

The fatass (Shaq) shouldn't be center. All he does is lean on others (Kobe, Dwayne) and uses his physicality to power through the paint.

Hakeem, Wilt Chamerlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar should be the ones in contention.

PG Magic Johnson
SG Clyde Drexler
SF Lebron James
PF Charles Barkley
C Hakeem Olajuwon

And if you can't tell, yes, I'm a Rockets fan.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
yeah i would take bill russell or hakeem over shaq. also tim duncan over karl malone and it's not even close. duncan is a winner, karl could never handle crunchtime....bottom line. also clyde over mj is a pretty homer pick even for a rockets fan, michael DESTROYED clyde.

Seriously, wheres the love for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? All-Time leading scorer, six-time champion, six-time MVP, championships...

Why don't yall think Kobe deserves the spot. He's easily a hall of famer and the best player of this decade.
Im probably the biggest Laker fanatic here, and even I wouldnt think to put Kobe over MJ. Yes, Kobe is the closest thing we will probably see to another MJ, but he is not MJ. MJ made it his goal to beat the best no matter what, and thats why hes 6-0 all time in NBA Finals series'. Unless Kobe wins the next 3-4 ships (which could but most likely to definitely wont happen), I still will put MJ over him. Plus, people need to do some stat searching on Jabbar... or even Olajuwon. Shaq is definitely not the greatest center of all time.... The argument that Kobe couldnt win without shaq is flawed, because Shaq always had a sidekick anytime he made it to the finals (Penny Hardaway/Kobe/Wade/Now Lebron). Jabbar did have two other HOF's around him, but he was still amazingly great before he came to LA

You guys are insane. No one's nominated Steve Nash for Point Guard?
Are you insane?? Even when Nash retires he wont be a top 3 guard of all time... I might even take Isiah Thomas over him for all time greatest pg, but Magic is the obvious choice and shouldnt be argued

Magic is like a tall Nash.

15 assists and 15 rebounds is cool. As much as I love Steve Nash, I can't put him over Magic.

Personal list

Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Byrd
Tim Duncan I guess
Kareem Abdul-Jabar

The fact that people are putting Karl Malone as the best PF ever is insane

Also don't forget David Robinson for best center. Oh and Wilt lol

PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Timmy D
C: Wilt Chamberlain

No one and I mean NO ONE dominated the NBA like Wilt Chamberlain. Not even Air Highness.

Think about guys, besides all the points, rebounds and block the guys just gets up one season and says "I think I'm just gonna lead the NBA in assists this year". And goddamnit he did it.

Also a bit old but this article can help with the Center discussion

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-GreatestCenters

PS

magic > robertson > west > stockton > thomas > payton > kidd all before nash. easyyyyyyyyyy

No one and I mean NO ONE dominated the NBA like Wilt Chamberlain. Not even Air Highness.

Think about guys, besides all the points, rebounds and block the guys just gets up one season and says "I think I'm just gonna lead the NBA in assists this year". And goddamnit he did it.

Also a bit old but this article can help with the Center discussion

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-GreatestCenters

PS

magic > robertson > west > stockton > thomas > payton > kidd all before nash. easyyyyyyyyyy
You also need to remember.... Wilt played in the 60's man... The game wasnt even close to what it has evolved into now. He put up records that will never be broken, but he also was way ahead of his time basketball wise. He was a freak athlete, and way taller/longer than most centers at the time. Plus, he didnt win that many titles for a reason: He cared more about personal records and scoring than winning, which is why Russel is greater than Wilt. No player is ever going to win as many Ships as Russel won, ever. Wilt put up all those points/boards, but he isnt even the NBA's all time scoring leader. Abdul-Jabbar holds that, which is why he gets the nod for greatest center. That, along with all his solid seasons that he put up with the Bucks/Lakers. Id even think to put Olajuwon over Wilt to be honest, Id go Jabbar/Olajuwon/Wilt for top 3 centers, and since I really dont count Russel as a center, id have to put him as the PF between him or Duncan.

franky

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Wilt got his dominant 50/25 something average by playing in a weak era. He also played with a bunch of "midgets" back then, giving him the better advantage. I believe he only averaged 27 points when he faced a formidable defensive center - Bill Russel. Those are his true numbers, the other centers could not match him.

Also I don't see how anyone will not take Shaq. Shaq is easly the most dominant center of all-time. In his prime, he had the strength, height, and quick feet. Combine those three and he was unstoppable once he got position down low. shaq > any center.

This also isnt a Head to Head matchup. Maybe shaq could tear up a more lengthy Center like Jabbar, but he would get shut down by Olajuwon. Shaq was dominant in his prime, but he hasnt been anything the past 5 years. Just remember, Jabbar won a finals MVP at 38 years old, so the age debate wont exactly work.

franky

He won't get shut down, they would have a tough time with each other. Although I have to admit Hakeem had his way with so many good centers. Both similar from what I remember in terms of dominance. Last 5 years? Shaq has been pretty consistent from what I've seen out of all the centers. He even matches up with the great Kareem farely well bro. In his 17 season, he is still putting up stats.

Shaq 17th season: 17/8
Hakeem 17th season: 11/7.4
Kareem 17th season: 17.5/6.7
Malone 17th season: 4.5/4.2

Just a to display how consistent Shaq has been in his current age. Only Jabbar matched that. Other notible centers have retired before 17 years and put less numbers than him. I know numbers arnt errything but it shows how he could still play.

I'd still pick prime Shaq since he most the most dominant center. Overall-ness Kareem wins this. Bill Russell is also another one on my books since he was a true winner (11 rings). But the thread title says best - so its a toss up between Shaq and Kareem for me.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shaq is also a terrible defender, is lazy, and makes the teams he plays for worse. He also played in a much more forgiving era defensively.

Anyway:

SF: Julius Erving
PF: Tim Duncan (though Malone, Garnett, or even Barkley can work here)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)