Other Metagames [BH] Primal Groudon & Mew(two of them) Balance (Peak at #2)

If you make a poll 2 days after the OP is it too late to get answers?

• Yes

• No

• Nice Team

Results are only viewable after voting.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
> Groudon + Mew(two of them) Balance <

Introduction

Here is a team that has given me lots of success on the ladder. It helped me reach #2 most recently and also helped me go 30-4 on the ladder just recently on an alt I made just to see how it would do on a fresh run. I’d say this team can perform more consistently on the ladder than my last RMT.

#2.PNG
30-4.PNG

Teambuilding Process

I realized that since the PDon ban I hadn’t made a Red Orb Don team yet, so I started here. I went with Illusion for a way to improof when PDon first comes in.

I then chose to use a favorite mon of mine in Ampharos but with the improofed Galvanize +Draco Plate set instead of my normal Prankster. The idea was I’d be self improofed and able to wall imposter with Groudon. Also, Draco Judgment could nail Normalize Gengar.

Next I added my defensive core, which has stayed the same throughout. Registeel and Chansey are there to handle –ate mons and Giratina is there for set up mons. This isn’t quite a Dragon/Steel/Fairy core but its close enough and they handle each other’s weakness quite nicely.

The sixth slot went to MMX, a favorite offensive mon of mine. But I wanted to go with the Poison Heal set that was picking up usage at the time since it has nice utility along with offensive presence.

My last edition, other than PDon’s pre-primal ability, was dropping Amphy for the faster and more immediately threating MMY. Also, Amphy's Draco Plate set was losing favor since they fixed the bug where Galvanize changed Judgment's typing so it wasn't as improof.

The Team

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Precipice Blades
- Morning Sun
- Stealth Rock

Groudon remains a potent offensive threat despite the ban because of its great offensive and defensive typing. Sun boosted V-Create over Sacred Fire for maximum wall breaking potential along with Precipice Blades for the strongest Ground STAB. Morning Sun for a nice 75% recovery and because I like it better than Synthesis. Groudon is still a nice rock setter as it is good at forcing switches. I chose Electric Surge as the pre-primal ability mainly to help with sleep and potentially boost MMY’s set.

Groudon’s imposter is forced out by Giratina.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Bolt Strike

Four attacks Sheer Force MMY might look familiar when you look at recent RMT’s and I followed this trend. MMY has amazing offensive potential with SF LO and can dismantle unprepared teams. It has amazing speed and power and can easily rid threats like Gengar, PDon, and Kyogre.

MMY is improofed by Chansey, who is a guaranteed 5HKO imposters that don’t hold boosting items.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser / Will-O-Wisp
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Poison Heal is more of a utility set on MMX compared to its normal all-out offensive sets. It is also very useful on this team as a status absorber because outside of PDon’s one time surge, the team is prone to sleep. For this PH set, I chose the utility moves of Knock Off and U-Turn to remove items and pivot out of situations where MMX could be trapped with its ability removed. Instead of running Spore or Wisp I went for Photon Geyser to immediately damage Shedinja and chose CC over Low Kick for the guaranteed 120 BP and to make sure I can kill my impostered Chansey after a knock off.

Running Photon means the set is not totally self improofed but it can usually stay in on imposter long enough to knock off its eviolite. Once that is done, Giratina can improof or PDon can come in if healthy and set rocks.

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Destiny Bond
- Encore / Haze
- Spectral Thief

Giratina is here to stop set up sweepers or take them out with Destiny Bond. Encore is nice to lock opponents into a set up move but is more risky as Dazzling and Magic Bounce aren’t affected. Haze is a safer (and less fun option) that also has more PP. Spectral Thief goes well with Encore to steal boosts if they decide to stay in. I like Griseous Orb for reduced Knock Off damage and a more powerful STAB. The speed EVs are nice so that Giratina still has a chance to Destiny Bond walls if needed and its ability has been removed.

Giratina can’t do anything of note to Chansey, so Chansey can come in and gain momentum with U-Turn.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Heal Order
- Metal Burst
- U-turn
- Topsy-Turvy / Haze

Chansey is here to wall pretty much any –ate mon that doesn’t use Fighting coverage and mess up set up sweepers with Topsy-Turvy or Haze. Chansey is not scared of FakeSpeed and can burst right back to incoming Boombursts for nice damage. It is also here to improof MMY. Spread is to have the slowest U-Turn it can and to help it hit last for Metal Burst.

Chansey is self-improofed and can be eliminated by MMX.

Registeel @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mummy
Relaxed Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Recover
- Defog
- Topsy-Turvy / Toxic

This is my favorite Registeel set to run. It’s probably not as overall solid as its Prankster and Flash Fire sets, but I love using this. Mummy can come in on FakeSpeed eat a resisted hit and remove their ability or it can come in on a U-Turning Regenerator and remove their ability on top of chipping them with Rocky Helmet. One –ate abilities are removed, Giratina can come in and handle any of their coverage moves if needed. Anchor Shot traps and kills imposter and Defog is nice on a bulky rock resist. Topsy Turvy is an option for anti set up or Toxic can be used on Magic Bouncers if they pick up Mummy.

Registeel is self improofed. It can also be handled by MMX and PDon if needed.

Dealing with Common Threats
  • Diancie – This is handled by Chansey and Registeel. Mummy takes away Pixilate and can OHKO back with Anchor Shot. Chansey can stomach almost anything Diancie throws at it and burst back​
  • Triage Rayquaza – Chansey can deal with Triage Ray fairly well, either bursting for damage or inverting its stats​
  • Poison Heal Regigigas – Giratina can force Gigas into an unideal move and Registeel removes Poison Heal on contact and can trap and remove it​
  • Normalize Gengar – Normgar is OHKO'd by MMY and OHKO'd by MMX with Photon on the speed tie or crippled by Knock Off. Chansey can also go in and force it out by inverting its stats if it tries to boost​

Possible Threats
  • Magic Bounce set up spam can be troubling, especially if on a Normal type, as they aren’t affected by Topsy-Turvy or Spectral Thief. Switching to Haze over Encore solves this issue, though​
  • With only one permanent method of sleep prevention, sleep can cause issues if the opponent gets lucky enough on sleep turns. Sleep sweepers like PH Xerneas can normally be handled by Chansey but unlucky sleep turns could mess that up​
  • Fur Coat Giratina or Zygarde can be an issue if MMY goes down. The rest of the team are pretty physically oriented attackers and don’t threaten these bulky dragons much. Using Toxic on Registeel can help this issue​
  • Choiced wall breakers, such as Banded MMX and Specs Rayquaza have to be played carefully. Giratina can stall out MMX's Photon or trade a 1 for 1 and Chansey is a guaranteed 3HKO from Ray, but they can only check these threats well when at high health​

Conclusion

While it isn't perfect, I would say this is one of the more solid teams I have built. The offensive core is effective and can put pressure on defensive mons and the defensive core has nice synergy and is able to work together to check common offensive threats. Imposter isn't much of a threat with the way the team is built, which is a nice headache to avoid.​

Importable
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Precipice Blades
- Morning Sun
- Stealth Rock

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Bolt Strike

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Spectral Thief

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heal Order
- Metal Burst
- U-turn
- Topsy-Turvy

Registeel @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mummy
Relaxed Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Recover
- Defog
- Topsy-Turvy

morogrim

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Cool team, 2 things came to mind though when I looked over the team. First, while Giratina does force Impostered Pdon out, it still doesn't prevent it from getting rocks up. Second, I'd consider Icium-Z for Giratina's item if using Haze over the orb, but orb is still fine in that case as well.

a loser

is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, 2 things came to mind though when I looked over the team. First, while Giratina does force Impostered Pdon out, it still doesn't prevent it from getting rocks up. Second, I'd consider Icium-Z for Giratina's item if using Haze over the orb, but orb is still fine in that case as well.
Thanks! Yeah PDon is definitely my most shaky improof being that it can set rocks pretty easily. I have been leaning a lot toward Haze recently as Encore can be so risky and have also been interested in the Z-Haze tech as I've never tried it myself. Thank you for the input.

I like your team! i recommend some changes in your team : On Mega Mewtwo X i recommend changing Poison Heal for Contrary, and changing Close Combat for Superpower, Knock off with Dragon Ascend and U-turn for V-create, and replace Mind Plate for Toxic Orb, this Mewtwo change will give you high power with stats boosted. i think that will make better your team, actually i have lots of changes for this team but i have not so much time and i think its okay the way u did

a loser

I like your team! i recommend some changes in your team : On Mega Mewtwo X i recommend changing Poison Heal for Contrary, and changing Close Combat for Superpower, Knock off with Dragon Ascend and U-turn for V-create, and replace Mind Plate for Toxic Orb, this Mewtwo change will give you high power with stats boosted. i think that will make better your team, actually i have lots of changes for this team but i have not so much time and i think its okay the way u did
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you liked the team! There are a couple issues with your proposed set, though. Superpower and V-Create would be fine for Contrary, but Dragon Ascent makes no sense as it only allows imposter users to hit you for super effective damage. These boosts seem nice on paper, but it is hard to improof. If Giratina went down, imposter users could cause a lot of trouble with Contrary MMX.

Yeah so if the mmx set was to change the most suitable would be Band Adapt which he can improof with tina (although SF mmy already fills the wallbreaker set so its already less than ideal), but then he loses on the utility and busted longevity of PH MMX, also contrary is broken pls ban and Contrary MMX isn't even really good compared to stuff like Adapt Dazzle Tech and PH, heck even -ate has some stuff going for it.

Sorry, I may be missing something, but your only electric type move on the team is MMY’s Bolt Strike, so why do you have electric terrain on Pdon?

a loser

Sorry, I may be missing something, but your only electric type move on the team is MMY’s Bolt Strike, so why do you have electric terrain on Pdon?
First this, "I chose Electric Surge as the pre-primal ability mainly to help with sleep and potentially boost MMY’s set."

As I said in the teambuilding section, Groudon used to have Illusion as the pre-primal ability. Since that got banned and since I don't have many measures against sleep outside of Poison Heal MMX, I went with Electric Surge. It helps prevent sleep temporarily and doesn't remove MMX's ability to activate its orb like Misty Terrain would. Also, Download could be a little trickier to improof if it gets an attack boost.

First this, "I chose Electric Surge as the pre-primal ability mainly to help with sleep and potentially boost MMY’s set."

As I said in the teambuilding section, Groudon used to have Illusion as the pre-primal ability. Since that got banned and since I don't have many measures against sleep outside of Poison Heal MMX, I went with Electric Surge. It helps prevent sleep temporarily and doesn't remove MMX's ability to activate its orb like Misty Terrain would. Also, Download could be a little trickier to improof if it gets an attack boost.
I still think that Illusion is better, given that sleep is rare, and that’s one move, one, that electric terrain boosts. To see a good team with electric terrain pdon on, there was one recent one with mega manectite around at some point.

a loser

I still think that Illusion is better, given that sleep is rare, and that’s one move, one, that electric terrain boosts. To see a good team with electric terrain pdon on, there was one recent one with mega manectite around at some point.
Illusion is banned, so I can't use it anymore.

Sleep is also not rare at all in BH. It is common on suicide leads as well as set-up sweepers. Groudon can come in against unboosted threats like Poison Heal Xerneas or Regigigas and be immune to Spore and threaten to OHKO with V-Create thanks to resisting Fairy STAB and having nice defense to tank an unboosted Facade.

And Electric Terrain is not there to build a team around. Groudon's pre-primal ability is pretty much a one-time use and Electric Surge has decent synergy with my team as opposed to other common options. I did not base the ability on it boosting MMY's Bolt Strike but it is a coincidence that could potentially power up the move. Here's why I didn't choose other options for the pre-primal ability.

Misty Surge: Could potentially cause MMX's Toxic Orb from activating in a clutch situation.
Intimidate: Could potentially cause Contrary mons to be boosted.
Illusion: Twas banned, sadly.
Download: Could potentially cause improofing issues. Giratina is my main switch-in to impostered Groudon. See calcs below. A hard switch into Giratina could mean taking at least half health and being in range of being KO'd on the next hit, even if I choose to use Haze.

252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 175-207 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 262-309 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)