Other Metagames [BH] Rout (Peaked at 60-2)

1526349890555.png
Introduction

Hey guys,

Welcome to my first RMT (and also my 100th post)! I've posted BH teams before through team dumps, but I've always wanted to do an RMT, so I decided a while ago to make it my 100th post. Anyways, I decided to create a team to utilize a mon which fell from its ORAS throne: Sturdinja. The introduction of Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam drastically reduced the livability of the bug. However, the increase in usage of these moves led to the decrease in usage of Mold Breaker + Pursuit, which was the most common and surefire way to take out Shed in ORAS. Therefore, as long as you can sufficiently scout for these moves, then Shed should be good to go. Without further ado, here is the team:

Team Analysis

Rayquaza-Mega @ Sky Plate
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Precipice Blades / Thousand Arrows / V-create

Rayquaza-Mega is the powerhouse behind this team and one of the best offensive mon's in the entire meta. Its offenses are nothing to scoff at, and its speed is above average. I decided to run Aerilate because Aerilate Mray is one of the best revenge killers in the meta. Fake Out + Espeed allows Mray to defeat most weakened opponents, while Boomburst will 2HKO every unresisted mon besides the bulkiest walls like Fur Coat Chansey or Assvest Pogre. Mray's 4th move is coverage to hit the steel or rock types that resist Boomburst. You can run Preciblades if you want decent power, TArrows if you want to hit Celesteela, or V-Create for maximum power. Sky Plate will give Mray's STAB attacks a slight boost. Max speed lets you speed tie with other Mray and also outspeed Diancie in the case that its HP is in Espeed range.

Kyogre-Primal @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 248 Spe
Bold Nature
- Origin Pulse / Revelation Dance
- Defog / Rapid Spin
- Shore Up
- Spectral Thief / Core Enforcer / Entrainment

Kyogre-Primal is your team's hazard control. Due to Pogre's extremely high SpD and Magic Bounce preventing all forms of sleep, it can also function as a check to PH special sweepers. Origin Pulse / Revelation Dance is your main STAB with plenty of PP for spamming. The reason I run this instead of something like Scald is because my team has no status control, so if Pogre is impostered I have nothing to prevent Scald spam. Defog or Rapid Spin is your form of hazard control. Spectral Thief lets Pogre steal your opponents stat boost and use them. Other options include Core Enforcer which will nullify PH, but can't hit Xerneas in which case you can run Entrainment instead. Max defense is to slightly patch up Pogre's weaker defensive side.

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Milk Drink
- Haze
- Destiny Bond
- U-turn

Registeel is one of the staple wall's of the meta. It has an excellent pure steel typing along with great mixed defenses. Registeel serves as your -ate check, psychic check, and Regigigas check to an extent. Unfortunately, strong SE moves such as V-create or Close Combat will hit Registeel hard, usually 2HKOing or OHKOing it. It is also quite passive since it can only rely on Hazing away stat changes and U-turn for damage. Neverless, as long as it is played properly Registeel will prove to be quite sturdy. This moveset is pretty much the best moveset that Prankster Registeel can run. Haze lets you remove stat changes and Dbond + U-turn gives you 2 turns of Dbond. When you sacrifice Registeel with Dbond try to take out an opponent that would threaten Shed. Speed is minimized so you can slow pivot out.

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Sludge Bomb / Secret Sword
- Shell Smash
- Pursuit / Lovely Kiss

Gengar-Mega is one of the best Mold Breaker sweepers in the meta due to high power and speed along with improofing itself. Spooky plate + Judgment is what completes the set in that it gives Mgar a powerful ghost STAB, while the opponent's imposter will be using a normal type Judgment (unless they're holding a plate). Sludge Bomb lets you hit Audino hard along with a 30% chance to poison. You can run Secret Sword instead if you want to hit normal types for SE damage, however it's still kinda weak in that even at +2 it won't OHKO normal types such as Regigigas or Arceus. Shell Smash lets Mgar setup for a late game sweep. For Mgar's last move you can run Pursuit to ensure an opponent's Shed is dead after proper prediction, or you can run Lovely Kiss if you want more opportunities to Shell Smash. Max speed lets you outspeed most of the meta and speed tie with other Mgar's and Mewtwo-Mega-X. Attack is minimized for the weakest pursuit possible in case your opponent tries to imposter Mgar.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Metal Burst
- Recover
- Whirlwind

Imposter Chansey is what defines the entire meta. The key to playing Chansey well is to use it for only 3 things: scouting, PP stalling, and forcing switches. When you scout with Chansey try to send it in safely or against an offensive mon that wouldn't do too much damage such as Mewtwo-Mega-Y. Do not blindly switch to Chansey against non-ghost type walls since they sometimes run trapping, which will end Chansey. You also don't want to use Chansey against frail mons such as Deoxys-Attack or mons that are typically improof such as Mgar. Overusage or overreliance on Chansey will only result in the premature loss of one of your best tools. Fake Out is for breaking illusions and Whirlwind phazes out opponents hiding behind a sub.

Shedinja @ Protective Pads
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- Spectral Thief / Pursuit
- U-turn

Sturdinja is the best wall in the game, yet extremely fragile at the same time. For this team Shed is your most important member, being able to wall off some threats that the rest of the team can't handle. However, Shed is not invincible. The aforementioned Sunsteel/Moongeist will defeat Shed along with status effects, entry hazards and more. Therefore, it is VERY important to scout movesets to ensure the safety of the bug. Endeavor reduces your opponent's non-ghost type HP to 1 and Espeed takes them out. If you want to damage ghost types you run Spectral, but you can also run Pursuit for trapping opponent's that have taken an Endeavor. U-turn gives you STAB pivoting to gain momentum. Protective Pads let Shed become immune to any contact effects (Rocky Helmet, Spiky Shield, Flame Body), which means that as long Shed is holding this item, it can fire off its moves without fear. Maximum Atk lets Shed do as much damage as it can with Espeed and U-turn. Speed is minimized so you can underspeed your opponent and slow pivot out. All other IVs are reduced to 0 so you can do maximum damage to your opponent in case they try to imposter Shed.

Threatlist

-APS: Due to Mray being your primary revenge killer, APS sweepers will have no fear in being revenged. Unfortunately most APS users will carry focus sash and Sunsteel/Moongeist so relying on Chansey or Shed is very risky. Your best bet is to use Registeel and click Haze or Dbond depending on their moveset.

-Status: This team lacks any form of status control in that there is no status absorber nor status remover. If the opponent is spamming status then you have to dedicate one of your mons to be statused for the rest of the match.

-Kartana: Almost every single Kartana carries Sunsteel, some kind of fire coverage and the occasional Power Whip. Basically if Kartana has a chance to safely come in, then your entire team will be threatened and you're forced to rely on outpredicting your opponent.

-Hazards: If hazards are up then your best wall will be rendered useless. This team heavily relies on Shed to wall most offensive threats, so make sure to properly utilize hazard control.

-Red Orb Groudon: Pdon's will sometimes have Sacred Fire or Stealth Rock, and TArrows hits hard against the whole team. There isn't really one specific counterplay, since Pdon can run many different sets, but your best bet is to use Chansey. However, if they're running defensive Pdon with trapping, then Chansey is dead, and you'll have to either force it out with Mray or try to pp stall with Pogre.

-Moldy Pursuit: Albeit extremely rare, this method will still grant a guaranteed kill on Shed if you misplay. While Mold Breaker has some decent usage, not every moldymon will be carrying pursuit. Therefore, if your opponent has a moldymon you'll have to treat like any other offensive mon and try to scout its moveset to see if it has pursuit. If it doesn't then Shed can hard switch, but if it does then you'll have to play Shed more carefully.

1526347983402.png

Sparrow (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Precipice Blades

Levi (Kyogre-Primal) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 248 Spe
Bold Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Defog
- Shore Up
- Spectral Thief

Lifeguard (Registeel) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Milk Drink
- Haze
- Destiny Bond
- U-turn

Luna (Gengar-Mega) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Sludge Bomb
- Shell Smash
- Pursuit

printer (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Metal Burst
- Recover
- Whirlwind

cancel (Shedinja) @ Protective Pads
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- Spectral Thief
- U-turn

Last edited:
I just have to say that it's absolutely ridiculous that no one has replied! A w/l of 75-2 (as of now) is absolutely insane, and it takes a lot of dedication and awareness to achieve that sort of consistency. Overall, I can say that it's a very simple team. Most good teams are well-prepared for these offensive threats, but highlighter also managed to fully take advantage of Shedinja's strengths, bolstering the team's backbone overall. I'd credit the player more than the team for achieving this stellar w/l. I certainly wouldn't be able to reach anything close without stall!!

EDIT: And I'm crediting the player more than the team not because the team is imperfect, no. It's because it takes a lot of skill to use Shedinja teams in general.

Last edited:
I just ended up playing against this, and I have to say its quite the solid team. However, it does have a few suboptimal sets that I think could stand to be improved.

The first thing I would suggest as a fix is running Revelation Dance > Origin Pulse. In addition to allowing Kyogre to check Skill Swap Mega Gengar, Revelation dance also has 50% more pp, and crucially never misses; if you, say, catch their chipped Registeel on the switches, you don't want to have them end up dodging the pulse and then recovering up. I ran a bunch of calcs and couldn't end up seeing any relevant 2hkoes that Origin Pulse got, so unless I'm missing smth this should be a fairly straight improvement.

The next suggestion would be that Bold > relaxed on Kyogre, but with 248 Speed EVs. This allows you to outpace base Pokemon like Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Gengar at +1 while still underspeeding adamant PDon and Modest Primal Kyogre. The loss in Attack on spectral thief will probably be annoying at times, but you aren't really relying on that damage output anyway.

Thirdly, and probably the most important of these: Run 252 or 240 HP evs on MRay. The former gives you a free roll avoidance with an extra 4 hp, while the latter actually gives you a stealth rock number. 248 HP EVs on mray doesn't do anything bar weaken you for no reason.

Finally: Run Special Attack on Shedinja. This is as useless an optimization as minimizing attack for foul play in bh is, but theoretically, a higher spa could mean that power split reduces the special attack of your sweeper less, while a lower Spa accomplishes nothing.

I was going to keep to myself and not be a pedant, but since we're investing in special attack on shedinja it seems like pedantry is en vogue so I should fit in nicely.

I would give chansey not full happiness, so if you run into any frustration users you can do some damage to them. My current favourite happiness is 55 since it gives you 80 base power Frustration which allows this calc:
252 Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Frustration (80BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyurem-Black: 153-180 (33.7 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO or equivalently a 2hko after shift gear and ohko after shell smash. I've seen people advocate less/more but that's what seemed a relevant benchmark to me.

Some small things I noticed using the team:
I only used it for 3 battles in a roomtour and one on ladder but every battle I was sat there thinking "I wish I'd gone with pursuit not spectral" because I was forced to make 50/50 predicts that were unnecessary and wasted valuable pp, so from my experience I'd put this before spectral although admittedly it wasn't thorough testing and you might have found the opposite and I'm sure I would be complaining either way.

Re: Origin Pulse, the only relevant calc I found was against celesteela which could be helpful if you're running Precipice Blades ray but I completely agree with QT that the PP and utility of revelation dance is much better all round.
252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Celesteela: 180-213 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Kyogre-Primal Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Celesteela: 148-175 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO calcs for completeness.

I had fun using this team and although there's lots of things it doesn't quite deal with on paper I found that in practice they can be played around thanks to fakespeed and imposter and everything works out in the end. Submit for flint to put in sample teams imho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)