Suspect BH8 Suspect #5 - Bolt Beak & Glacial Lance - Voter ID and Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
boltbeam.jpg
What?
Based on community and council discussion, the BH Council is beginning a suspect on both Bolt Beak and Glacial Lance.

Why?
Bolt Beak is a unique Electric-type move that reaches 170 Base Power if its user moves first or the opponent switches out. With 16 PP and basically no drawbacks to using it, Bolt Beak is highly spammable thanks to its strength and valuable coverage to hit Water- and Flying-types.

Glacial Lance is a non-contact 130 BP Ice-type move with no drawbacks. With only 8 PP, Glacial Lance can’t be used as freely but its power is consistent regardless of turn order. This move notably gives physical breakers a reliable Ice-type move to punish the bulky Dragon-types used to check Bolt Beak users. Non-contact also means Rocky Helmet and Spiky Shield / Baneful Bunker can't punish its users.

When these moves are used together on the same Pokemon like Zacian-C and Regieleki or even the same team on separate breakers, they create a near unwallable coverage commonly known as BoltBeam. However, these moves are not without answers.
  • Bolt Beak’s Base Power is cut in half by moving before its user. This can be achieved in many viable ways, including but not limited to: Prankster status moves, priority attacks like Extreme Speed, Sucker Punch, or Triage, and simply moving faster via higher Speed, Choice Scarf, or Speed boosting abilities.
  • Abilities such as Fur Coat and Volt Absorb on Dragon-, Steel-, and Water-types are commonly used in attempt to check Bolt Beak and Glacial Lance users.
    • However, Mold Breaker abilities combined with these moves bypass both of these.
  • Certain Pokemon naturally resist and/or are neutral to these attacks, like Ferrothorn, Reshiram, Palkia, Steelix, and Swampert. Each of these are viable and can run defensive abilities like Fur Coat, or Flash Fire for Ferrothorn and Steelix, in order to check Bolt Beak and Glacial Lance users but aren't always reliable as they are susceptible to Mold Breaker and strong coverage moves.
How?
  • We will be using the new suspect process laid out by Zarel here (aka no COIL).
  • ***NEW PLEASE READ***The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 40 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.4 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 25 games at a GXE of 86.
GXE Required​
Minimum # of games​
  • Do so by making a new alt with the sequence “FSM” in it anywhere, but not separated.
  • The alt must have a creation date on or after February 12, 2021
FSM loser (Acceptable)
Fossil Speed Move (Unacceptable)
Where?
You must post your proof of reqs in this thread and play your games on the main pokemonshowdown.com sim.

Bolt Beak and Glacial Lance will be allowed in the ladder for the duration of this suspect; I would recommend using them as much as you can to get a feel of how they are in the meta and have a good idea of if they broken/unhealthy, if one is fine and the other is not, or if both are perfectly manageable after all.
Do:
  • Post your proof of reqs and, if you wish, your stance on the matter briefly, in this thread. Read the following CAREFULLY on how to do so:
    • you MUST FIRST AND FOREMOST PROVIDE AN IMAGE OF THE ALT WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP. We can't stress that last part enough. Refer to these examples of how to do this: example1 example2 example3
    • If you don’t do at least the above, your vote won’t be counted. We will be very strict about this.
  • Post in this thread if you have any questions about THIS SUSPECT PROCESS.

Do NOT:
  • Post your stance on the matter in this thread without proof of requirements (This should be posted in the main thread instead)
  • Post anything in this thread unrelated to this suspect (with or without proof)

When?
This suspect period will last until February 26, 2021. We will try to begin the voting process immediately after confirming some other details on how it will be done and posting the Voter ID Thread similar to past suspects.

Note: You will be voting on Bolt Beak and Glacial Lance separately in the voting thread. Each will require a 60% majority to be banned.

GLHF!
---
TLDR?
  • 80 GXE after 40 games with a new alt (READ THE NEW REQUIREMENTS)
    • FSM” alt with image proof IN THIS THREAD
  • Bolt Beak and Glacial Lance ALLOWED on ladder
  • DEADLINE: February 26, 2021
  • This suspect test counts toward the Tier Contributor badge!
    1613412842506.png
Tagging The Immortal Ransei to setup suspect and announcement on PS ladder games. Thank you!

Last edited:

Not a perfect run, but thats what you get for rushing. As you can guess from the name, ban glacial lance. I don't want to ban beak just yet, but I probably will because if we dont ban it now we'll never get another suspect and I'm confident it'll end up broken in the long run.

1613182912242.png

I'll probably be voting ban on bolt beak and ban on glacial lance for meta progression. I wish I didn't have to vote dnb, but idk how the meta could progress with these moves in play. They're too centralizing and force fc on any team that wishes to be consistent. Since these moves were so probablematic through all the previous bans (intrepid, dgz, shell smash) maybe we can look at unbanning those after uwu <3

" You might be wondering how I lost my 1 game. Was I outplayed? Have bad match up? Haxed perhaps? Alas you would be wrong, because didn't lose a single match. I was cruising and halfway through I wanted to check my progress.... and there was my 1 loss, just chilling there, completely uninvited to the party. Truly unfortunate way to miss out on the 25-0, but thems the breaks. "
shoutout to huhshrug for stealing my almost perfect run >:(

Last edited:

I'll probably vote no ban for both. Yeah those moves are insanely strong sure but without them I'm really scary about Fur Coat Giratina and Kyogre. I recognize that Pokemon like Zamazenta with Close Combat / Glacial Lance and Bolt Beak are quite unwallable, but on the other hand stall is already a good playstyle right now, and it will only get better with bans. What offensive Pokemon are going to use after bans ? Belly Drum spammer + triage ? or some Technician Pokemon like Kyurem-B and Groudon? I don't feel that's enough for me to have a balanced tier unfortunately :/

1613306792856.png

s/o sevag for the goated stall team

You might be wondering how I lost my 1 game. Was I outplayed? Have bad match up? Haxed perhaps? Alas you would be wrong, because didn't lose a single match. I was cruising and halfway through I wanted to check my progress.... and there was my 1 loss, just chilling there, completely uninvited to the party. Truly unfortunate way to miss out on the 25-0, but thems the breaks.

Bolt Beak: Ban.
Glacial Lance: Ban
As stated by sevag earlier in order for the meta to progress beyond the mandate of having FC on every team I think it's best that these move leave the meta. Additionally in banning these moves we are weakening stall via increasing Meta diversity. The less diverse a meta is the more potent stall is. I think that was shown in my 53-1 streak in the Darminitan Meta with stall. Here is the team I used to get reqs: https://pokepast.es/75ee207cee408c2f.

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 1.15.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Will probably vote not to ban both moves, but I'm pretty sure they'll both get the axe. In which case, we should free DGZ. With intrepid sword, bolt beak and glance gone, DGZ will basicaly be weaker than before glacial lance and we'll need him to prevent a stally meta. If his return was guaranteed, I'd be more inclined to vote ban... But I know it's not how that works.

Attachments

Last edited:

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Confirming as FS Mega Jirachi

suspect BH.PNG

S/o to Palapapop for giving me his goat team. I'm not a BH main and his team carried me through this. I'm still not sure on what to vote but I think I'll vote Do not ban because I fear that stall become overpowered without these moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)