Other Big Brother [Signups]

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first ever edition of Smogon Big Brother! This is a social game that relies heavily on communication, deals, trust, making alliances, and breaking alliances. If you are familiar with the game of Survivor (currently being hosted by Jalmont), then there are some big similarities, but unlike Survivor, Big Brother is much less competition-based and more socially based in terms of strategy.

This game will differ from a standard mafia game as there is no mafia or village factions, essentially making this a Free For All. However, this game still contains many (if not more) factors that can be found in any game of Mafia, including deception, lies, bluffing, deals, and trusting others.

This game is based off the Big Brother reality show. While knowledge of this show is not necessary, it may come in handy at certain points in the game.

~~~
Game Basics

This game will be played in cycles, with every cycle having four main phases.

1) The Head of Household Competition - Each cycle one player will be chosen as the Head of Household (HOH). The method by which this player is selected may vary from week to week (most of the time it will probably just be some type of battle on the main server). A player may not become the HoH two weeks in a row. When a player wins HOH, the next phase will begin. These competitions will usually take place over a course of 48 hours.

2) Nomination Ceremony - The person who has won the Head of Household Competition will have a given period of time to PM me, the host, two people they would like to nominate for eviction (elimination). This phase lasts for 48 hours to encourage players to contact each other and make deals, promises, alliances, etc.

3) Power of Veto Competition and Ceremony - This competition takes place after the Nomination Ceremony. Like the HOH competition, it will probably be some type of battle on PS!. Only six people participate in this competition - the HOH, the two nominees, and three other players picked at random. Once a winner has been made, they will have the ability to save one of the nominated players (veto), or to keep the nominations the same (the nominees can use the POV on themselves if they win it). If one of the nominated players is saved, the HOH must name a replacement (cannot be the saved person or the power of veto holder).

4) The Eviction - The players who are not nominated will privately vote for the person they wish to evict and remove from the game (they may only vote for either the nominees). Neither of the two nominees vote, and the Head of Household ONLY votes in the event of a tie. Voting is mandatory and the vote count will be revealed at the end of the cycle, however, the votes will remain anonymous. If players fail to vote on time, they will be given some type of penalty that may hinder their performance in the game. Players have 24 hours to submit their votes. After someone is evicted, there will usually be a period of time before the next cycle begins, and the HOH phase commences.

These cycles repeat themselves until there are only two players left. Once only two players remain, the final 9 players that were eliminated get to vote for who they want to win between the two.

~~~
Forum Basics

All forum game rules still apply to this game. Be nice to other users! (but fights are encouraged)

You cannot screenshot any part of your conversation with me (unless I give you permission). Under no circumstances can you screenshot the person you voted for. This ultimately takes away a huge social aspect from the game.

I will make an IRC channel as soon as I have enough signups.

~~~
Frequently Asked Questions

1. So is this basically Survivor, minus teams and some extra comps?
While the two are very similar in terms of gameplay and competitions, how they are played strategically are usually never the same. Applying a strategy you use in Survivor to Big Brother will probably not be very effective, and vice versa.

2. Am I allowed to let you know what I'm thinking throughout the game?
I highly encourage all players to add me to any (and every) coversations you have with other players, as well as telling me any plans that you have (these conversations between you and I will never be revealed to other houseguests). It'd be super cool to have a postgame where I could describe, in detail, what was happening throughout the stages of the game.

3. How do you feel about fights?
Personally, I think fights can make the game much more interesting and engaging, which is why I encourage GAME-RELATED fights, but if you do decide to call someone out, I have some things to tell you.
1) If you want to call someone out, I'd rather you do it in the thread rather than on IRC so spectators can see what is happening.
2) All fights must ONLY be based on what is happening in the game. Any fights that are caused by personal matters will not be tolerated. If you begin to attack someone personally for their appearance, beliefs, morals, or any other attributes that do not pertain to the game, then you will be penalized in the game (and probably get a warning from a moderator).

To signup, simply post "in" in this thread. I am only taking 16 signups, and I will begin as soon as enough people sign up for the game.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Whydon has informed me that he isn't gonna be able to host this, sorry lads.

if anyone wants to host this im sure whydon could send you sheet and stuff

I can host if everyone who previously signed up confirms their availability within the next 24-48 hours.

tropiusisbae - CONF
Jalmont
zorbees - CONF
shubaka17 - CONF
acidphoenix
rssp1 - CONF
TraceofLife
RODAN - This one won't work
shartruce - CONF
THE_IRON_...KENYAN?
Gale Wing Srock
Flyhn -CONF
Nomark - CONF
Haruno
Nuxl
Pancake - CONF
ForgottenOnes - CONF

Da Letter El - CONF
Empoof - CONF

Minus RODAN I count exactly 16 so I need all of you to start the game or other people to float in. I don't have sheet from Whydon yet but I imagine I can get it. The first 16 to say confirm in thread will be the contestants. If we can't get enough I'll abandon it.

CONFIRMED (11/16)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)