ORAS OU Black Kyurem Balanced Team

It's 420LegitShucks here in the RMT thread! While playing on Shoddy one day, I decided to build an OU team. Now me, being a big fan of balanced teams, built a balanced team around Black Kyurem. After I tested this team, I concluded that this is by far the best team I have ever built (not saying it's the best team anyone has ever built on Shoddy, that'd be a hyperbole) on Shoddy ever. I wanted to share that team with the community and get some help with the team. Here it is, in depth:

kyurem-black.gif

Black Kyurem:
72 HP/ 252 Atk/ 44 Def/ 96 SpD/ 44 Spe
Ability: Teravolt
Item: Life Orb
Adamant Nature
-Substitute
-Iron Head
-Fusion Bolt
-Outrage

This thing is my wallbreaker and damage dealer. With this spread, Fusion Bolt guarantees the OKHO on all variations of Azumarill with Fusion Bolt. This spread even OKHOed a SKARMORY. Substitute is used only when Black Kyurem forces something out, which most of the time, it does. 72 HP allows Black Kyurem to minimize LO recoil and create 101 Subs and minimize Stealth Rock damage at the same time. 44 Spe is to outspeed uninvested base 100s, and the rest is put into bulk. Of course, Black Kyurem struggles with Clefable, so to beat that, I have:

metagross-mega.gif

Metagross:
176 Atk/ 80 SpA/ 252 Spe
Ability: Clear Body (Tough Claws on Mega)
Item: Metagrossite
Hasty Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Grass Knot

Mega Metagross is here for one reason: Clefable. Clefable is an absolute nightmare to this team, so having a teammate to beat Clefable is amazing. Meteor Mash is standard, having a chance to OHKO physically defensive Clefable, Earthquake beats other Metagross and Tyranitar, Zen Headbutt is general secondary STAB, and Grass Knot with 80 SpA 2HKOes standard Slowbro and Mega Slowbro, which Black Kyurem has a hard time breaking through, even with Fusion Bolt. Mega Metagross is a key member to allowing Black Kyurem to sweep late game.

skarmory.gif

Skarmory:
248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Shed Shell
Impish Nature
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Defog
-Whirlwind

Ah, Skarmory. The classic physical wall of past gens is back on my team.
The spread is standard physically defensive Skarmory. The Shed Shell is meant for escaping Magnezone. Defog for hazard removal, Whirlwind for phazing, Roost for reliable recovery and Brave Bird prevents Skarmory from being Taunt bait, and does massive damage to the likes of Breloom and Mega Heracross. The overall support Skarmory provides is key to this team's success, and it's definitely appreciated.

rotom-w.gif

Rotom-W:
248 HP/ 252 SpA/ 8 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Specs
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-HP Fire
-Trick

This is my secondary powerhouse, except this time, it's a special attacker. Hydro Pump is standard Water STAB, hitting things like Tyranitar and Hippowdon hard. Volt Switch is Electric STAB and allows me to gain switch initiative, giving Black Kyurem a free switch-in. HP Fire is here because of Ferrothorn, which the rest of my team cannot break. Trick is to cripple walls and Pokemon dependant on their item, such as Chansey. Overall useful, powerful, and bulky special attacker.

talonflame.gif

Talonflame:
252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Ability: Gale Wings
Item: Sky Plate/Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost

Standard SD Talonflame. Brave Bird for Mega Lopunny, Flare Blitz for Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, yada yada yada. Why isn't Talonflame banned already?

chansey.gif

Chansey:
8 HP/ 252 Def/ 248 SpD
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Eviolite
Bold Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Thunder Wave
Chansey is here because my team needs a cleric. The amount of healing support Chansey can provide to a team that desperately needs it is the reason it's on my team in the first place. Wish allows my sweepers and wallbreakers to get to full HP in an instant, Heal Bell removes Will-o-Wisp, Toxic and Thunder Wave from the Pokemon that don't deserve said status. Chansey also acts as a status absorber thanks to Natural Cure. Chansey is overall an amazing Pokemon on this team, and I don't know what I'd do without it.

Threats: currently unknown, doing research.

Thanks for viewing! I really want to improve, so I came here for help. Thanks, Smogon! This is 420LegitShucks, signing out!

Last edited:
You were probs up against special defensive skarm:
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 283-335 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

the OHKO chance is pretty low tho. the physical defensive one is still a guaranteed 2hko tho

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 218-257 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Your team is looking pretty ferry weak, sure you can switch in with talon, but you dont have good sustain with 3attacks + SD. Scarf spins from excadril means that rocky helmet ferry will quickly wear you down as you try to spin. This is why I would recommend running roost > U-turn on talonflame.

funky skarm spread, but I dont really see why you would want to stay with skarm on rotom, or flare blitz talonflame for that matter. rotom wash with specs sounds pretty novel, but in practise, I think standard physical defensive rotom-w would help u better vs talonflame. This will also allow you to run a better item on skarm, such as shed shell, rocky helmet or lefties. This also provides you with a decent sand offence check so that 3 attacks lo sandrush dril doesnt just run through your team once rotom wash is weakened.

Running sub and LO means that kyurem B will also be worn down rather quickly, especially when u factor in that cube is weak to all forms of hazard. you could consider trying standard mixed cube and see how that works for you.

Nice team overall tho, some interesting ideas.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, Skarmory's EV spread isn't the best, considering what I wanted it to do in the first place. Shed Shell might a good replacement, considering Magnezone traps and kills Skarmory without full health, so being able to switch to Excadrill on Magnezone would be amazing. One thing's for sure, I'll remove the Speed and just go physically defensive, might be better in the long run. Maybe specially defensive if special attackers not named Magnezone are an issue. I definitely should switch Swords Dance to Roost, after all, birdspam will take its toll on Talonflame eventually. As for Rotom, I'll keep Specs because Excadrill outspeeds Talonflame unless Talonflame is Scarfed, but since when do you ever see Scarfed Talonflame? Never, that's when. Now, I HATE Ferrothorn. Too bulky. I put Hidden Power Fire on Rotom-W just for Ferrothorn and maybe Scizor/Mega Scizor. My original choice was to run Shadow Ball for Gengar and Psychics (Mew, Latias, Latios, Mega Gardevoir, etc.), but the Ferrothorn coverage Hidden Power Fire gives me is definitely a plus, so I chose Hidden Power Fire. I went with physical Black Kyurem because Black Kyurem was meant to be a physical attacker, and even with a shitty physical movepool, it still hits like a truck on steroids. Check this out:
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 458-541 (114.2 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This calc is against the bulky Assault Vest Azumarill. That is an example of sheer power at its finest. While it's true that Substitute will take its toll on Black Kyurem, Substitute also gives it a free turn on anything it forces out, and gives it a status immunity, meaning that anything that can't break Black Kyurem's Substitute is gonna die to it eventually. On to Rotom, I really wanted to see the effectiveness of a Specs set, and it has been doing me well in the current meta. I might consider physically defensive for backup Talonflame check, but for now I'll keep Specs. As for Skarmory, you make a very valid point with Sand Rush Excadrill, as that thing rips through my team. I definitely need some form of weather check. I ended up replacing Excadrill with Chansey, due to the cleric support my team so desperately needs, and to form a little SkarmBliss core, with Chansey instead of Blissey :) I also replaced Stealth Rock and Spikes on Skarmory with Defog and Brave Bird (in no particular order). Defog was necessary hazard removal, and Brave Bird was to not be complete Taunt bait. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
It's 420LegitShucks here in the RMT thread! While playing on Shoddy one day, I decided to build an OU team. Now me, being a big fan of balanced teams, built a balanced team around Black Kyurem. After I tested this team, I concluded that this is by far the best team I have ever built (not saying it's the best team anyone has ever built on Shoddy, that'd be a hyperbole) on Shoddy ever. I wanted to share that team with the community and get some help with the team. Here it is, in depth:

View attachment 63990

Black Kyurem:
72 HP/ 252 Atk/ 44 Def/ 96 SpD/ 44 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Adamant Nature
-Substitute
-Iron Head
-Fusion Bolt
-Outrage

This thing is my wallbreaker and damage dealer. With this spread, Fusion Bolt guarantees the OKHO on all variations of Azumarill with Fusion Bolt. This spread even OKHOed a SKARMORY. Substitute is used only when Black Kyurem forces something out, which most of the time, it does. 72 HP allows Black Kyurem to minimize LO recoil and create 101 Subs and minimize Stealth Rock damage at the same time. 44 Spe is to outspeed uninvested base 100s, and the rest is put into bulk. Of course, Black Kyurem struggles with Clefable, so to beat that, I have:

View attachment 63991
Metagross:
176 Atk/ 80 SpA/ 252 Spe
Ability: Clear Body (Tough Claws on Mega)
Item: Metagrossite
Hasty Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Grass Knot

Mega Metagross is here for one reason: Clefable. Clefable is an absolute nightmare to this team, so having a teammate to beat Clefable is amazing. Meteor Mash is standard, having a chance to OHKO physically defensive Clefable, Earthquake beats other Metagross and Tyranitar, Zen Headbutt is general secondary STAB, and Grass Knot with 80 SpA 2HKOes standard Slowbro and Mega Slowbro, which Black Kyurem has a hard time breaking through, even with Fusion Bolt. Mega Metagross is a key member to allowing Black Kyurem to sweep late game.

View attachment 63989
Skarmory:
248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Shed Shell
Impish Nature
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Defog
-Whirlwind

Ah, Skarmory. The classic physical wall of past gens is back on my team.
The spread is standard physically defensive Skarmory. The Shed Shell is meant for escaping Magnezone. Defog for hazard removal, Whirlwind for phazing, Roost for reliable recovery and Brave Bird prevents Skarmory from being Taunt bait, and does massive damage to the likes of Breloom and Mega Heracross. The overall support Skarmory provides is key to this team's success, and it's definitely appreciated.

View attachment 63992
Rotom-W:
248 HP/ 252 SpA/ 8 Spe
Item: Choice Specs
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-HP Fire
-Trick

This is my secondary powerhouse, except this time, it's a special attacker. Hydro Pump is standard Water STAB, hitting things like Tyranitar and Hippowdon hard. Volt Switch is Electric STAB and allows me to gain switch initiative, giving Black Kyurem a free switch-in. HP Fire is here because of Ferrothorn, which the rest of my team cannot break. Trick is to cripple walls and Pokemon dependant on their item, such as Chansey. Overall useful, powerful, and bulky special attacker.

View attachment 63993
Talonflame:
252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Item: Sky Plate/Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost

Standard SD Talonflame. Brave Bird for Mega Lopunny, Flare Blitz for Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, yada yada yada. Why isn't Talonflame banned already?

View attachment 64026
Chansey:
8 HP/ 252 Def/ 248 SpD
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Eviolite
Bold Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Thunder Wave
Chansey is here because my team needs a cleric. The amount of healing support Chansey can provide to a team that desperately needs it is the reason it's on my team in the first place. Wish allows my sweepers and wallbreakers to get to full HP in an instant, Heal Bell removes Will-o-Wisp, Toxic and Thunder Wave from the Pokemon that don't deserve said status. Chansey also acts as a status absorber thanks to Natural Cure. Chansey is overall an amazing Pokemon on this team, and I don't know what I'd do without it.

Threats: currently unknown, doing research.

Thanks for viewing! I really want to improve, so I came here for help. Thanks, Smogon! This is 420LegitShucks, signing out!

Well done, this is great.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man Mega metagross has become very popular nowondays, as it is incredible hard to switch in due to its wide movepool. looking at your team immediatly notice that your weak to Fighting types like Lopunny and CB Terrak. Also your switch in against Keldeo good at all. Defog Skarm despite being a great wall loses too much momentum trying to Defog and the opponent can easily take advange of it. I would like to suggest better evs spread as well.
  • Mix Kyub is better wallbreaker than you actual set, as can pass throught mons like Lando-T, Heatran, etc. Ill leave the set down below.
  • A better movepool for Mega Metagross is Ice Punch/ ThunderPunch/Hammer Arm and Meteor mash, with this movepool you hit the same thing and even more stuff like Ferrothorn or Skarmory.
  • Having Rotom to handle birds and sand offense i think Skarm is the weakess member here so i recommend you change it for Clef, Clef give you fighting switch ins and dark resist, as well giving you a solid win con late game. Set down below.
  • make rotom a standar phys def version to handle sand better and still beat slowbro.
  • Stallbreaker Talon makes much sense here over SD one, as can deal with fatter teams and Zard Y.
  • And last, Latios>Chansey for defog support and solid answer to water types.
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- iron head / Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / flamethrower (Only if you have troubles with ferro/sciz)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp / thunder wave
- Pain Split

Talonflame @ leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- brave bird
- Roost
- taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost / Hidden Power Fire (Only if you have troubles with ferro/sciz)
- Defog
Hope u enjoy and gl

Reactions: Sun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)