BlastSTALL (Blastoise) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC Status (0/3)

[Overview]

+
  • Has access to Toxic/Scald + Dragon Tail to spread status and annoy
  • Is one of the only bulky Water-type Rapid Spinners next to Tentacruel and Cloyster (Boosted futher with Rain Dish)
  • Has a few other niches including Mirror Coat, Water Spout, and Haze
  • Has a very large movepool offering a variety of different options
-
  • No boosting moves + low attack stats so it can't function as an attacker
  • Relatively low speed
  • Redundant typing in comparison with Politoed
  • Overshadowed in some aspects by Jellicent and Vaporeon

[SET]
Name: Rapid Spinner
Move 1: Scald
Move 2: Rapid Spin
Move 3: Dragon Tail/Toxic/Ice Beam
Move 4: Protect
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Sp. Def

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Protect helps to scout out VoltTurn teams and offers extra recovery
  • Rapid Spin, obviously, is for clearing rocks and spikes
  • Scald can still hurt in rain and has a chance to burn, which will aid its lower defense
  • Dragon Tail is the main phazing option and works well in conjunction with Toxic
  • Roar can be used for pokemon boosting behind a sub and baton pass teams
  • Ice Beam can be a nasty surprise for Dragons and Grass type switch-ins with lower Sp. Def

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Haze can replace Roar to counter Baton pass teams using Mr. Mime, but Roar can build up damage from rocks/spikes and Haze can't be used with Rain Dish.
  • Hydro Pump can be used instead of Scald since the extra power allows for some OHKOs that Scald doesn't.
  • Protect + Toxic allows for maximum utilization of Rain Dish while whittling down the opponent's HP
  • Access to phazing moves differentiates his role from that of Tentacruel, Jellicent, and Vaporeon.
  • Blastoise's Pure water typing allows him to face many pokemon that Tentacruel and Jellicent would not such as Tyranitar, Scrafty, Gengar, Landorus, Gliscor, and Alakazam.
  • Poison types that can absorb Toxic Spikes can greatly aid Blastoise's longevity and stalling capability. Roserase is a perfect example since it can absorb powerful special attacks and counters Electric types that would otherwise annihilate Blastoise
  • The given EV spread allows Blastoise to always survive a myriad of physical and special attacks that would otherwise OHKO in the 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def set (as well as a few 2HKOes into 3HKOes):

252SpAtk Choice Specs Rotom (+SAtk) Volt Switch vs 252HP/136SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 75% - 89% (272 - 324 HP).
    vs.
    252SpAtk Choice Specs Rotom (+SAtk) Volt Switch vs 252HP/4SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 85% - 101% (308 - 366 HP).
    Special bulk guarantees survival

252Atk Choice Band Terrakion (+Atk) Close Combat vs 252HP/120Def Leftovers Blastoise (+Def): 71% - 84% (259 - 306 HP).
    Lower defense allows for Torrent to activate:
    0SpAtk Torrent Blastoise (Neutral) Hydro Pump vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Terrakion (Neutral): 114% - 135% (372 - 438 HP).
    0SpAtk Torrent Blastoise (Neutral) Scald vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Terrakion (Neutral): 76% - 90% (248 - 294 HP). (~33% to OHKO if rocks and it burns)

252Atk Life Orb +2 Technician Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/120Def Leftovers Blastoise (+Def): 93% - 110% (340 - 400 HP).
    252Atk +2 Technician Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/120Def Leftovers Blastoise (+Def): 72% - 85% (262 - 309 HP).
    Still survives @ +2 and solid chance to survive even w/ LO

252SpAtk Choice Specs Latios (+SAtk) Draco Meteor vs 252HP/136SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 87% - 103% (318 - 375 HP).
    vs.
    252SpAtk Choice Specs Latios (+SAtk) Draco Meteor vs 252HP/4SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 99% - 117% (360 - 424 HP).
    Much higher chance to survive

4SpAtk Jirachi (Neutral) Thunder vs 252HP/136SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 40% - 48% (146 - 174 HP).
    vs.
    4SpAtk Jirachi (Neutral) Thunder vs 252HP/4SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 45% - 54% (166 - 196 HP). 3% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.
    (Rain Dish would prevent 2HKO as well)
    Possible 2HKO becomes a 3HKO

252SpAtk Ninetales (+SAtk) SolarBeam vs 252HP/136SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 49% - 58% (178 - 210 HP). 16% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers.
    vs.
    252SpAtk Ninetales (+SAtk) SolarBeam vs 252HP/4SpDef Leftovers Blastoise (Neutral): 55% - 65% (202 - 238 HP).
    A certain 2HKO becomes a 3HKO

[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Yawn is very useful for forcing switches, however Vaporeon arguably utilizes this better due to Wish support (and it's illegal with Rain Dish)
  • Mirror Coat is viable since Blastoise has high Sp. Def and HP, allowing him to OHKO most special attackers, but it is also illegal with Rain Dish
  • Water Spout can be considered when switching into slower pokes (still illegal)
  • Foresight can be used to allow Rapid Spin to hit Ghost types. (still illegal)
  • Substitute can be put on the last slot to prevent status, but leaves him completely helpless against Water Absorb/Storm Drain/Dry Skin pokes
  • Icy Wind can be useful for denting and outspeeding Grass and Dragon types such as Breloom and Dragonite (still illegal)
  • Although most moves are illegal with Rain Dish, Torrent is still viable after taking powerful SE hits since it sharply boosts the power of his water moves (and allows for the aforementioned Mirror Coat)

[CHECKS & COUNTERS]
  • Hydration, Water Absorb, and Dry Skin such as...TOXICROAK, Vaporeon, Jellicent, etc.
  • Trick + Choice Item
  • JOLTEON can always OHKO with Thunder
  • Jirachi can abuse status with Thunder and proceed to flinch-hax
  • Spinblockers (mainly Gengar and Jellicent) don't fear nearly any of Blastoise's attacks and the former occasionally has Giga Drain/Disable to make its life worse

Just call it Rapid Spinner. This is the only reason why you would use this over any other Bulky Water (Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Jellicent, Suicune, Milobelus,..). It makes the slash looking like this :

Name: Rapid Spinner
Move 1: Rapid Spin
Move 2: Scald
Move 3: Dragon Tail/Ice Beam
Move 4: Toxic (Miror Coat is already in OO and its where it belongs)

AC Roar, Protect and Haze, remove SubPunch (it's just outclassed) and move LO to Other Options (AC is about the set in itself, not other sets you could try. OO is the place for this). Remove also the "work well with Ground types" since it's just the same thing with any Flying/Water mons (and the most common Electric Choiced is Rotom-w)..

You should also consider another EV spread; one of the main advantage of this Blastoise is to check things like Landorus. Going with a SDefensive spread is imo a waste but a mixed defensive set would be cool

Mention his advantages over Tentacruel who are better defensive stats, being neutral to Ground (and Psychic) moves (which means better spinning ability against Hippowdon and Donphan, for instance). Remove also things like Electivire, Magnezone and Jirachi from the Check and Counters part. Mention that a Wish Passer helps it surviving because of his lack of recovery move.

Good set otherwise, even if it's sad that it only appears here after the Deo-S ban, with Psycho Boost which used to be one of the main reason to use this over Tentacruel.

First off, change the main EV spread to 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Bold. It's the best spread out there, because now you can tank Outrages and Earthquakes and stuff. Mention 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD Calm in AC, not being 2HKOed by LO Bug Buzz from Volcarona or +2 Earthquake from Gliscor even outside of rain and without Protect, so that might be useful if you're not using Protect and you have problems with sun + Volcarona or sand + Taunt SD Gliscor.

This should be the slashes imo:

move 1: Scald
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Protect / Ice Beam / Dragon Tail
move 4: Toxic / Dragon Tail

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Mynism and Tomahawk have the right idea about the set. The more special defense you add the more you are encroaching on Tentacruel's territory. Protect, I feel, must also be slashed somewhere.

There are also a few legality issues you need to be aware of. Mirror Coat, Yawn, Foresight, Water Spout, Icy Wind and Haze are illegal with Rain Dish. Most of those are still OO worthy alongside torrent, especially Foresight, but you need to remove all mention of them from set comments/ac.

Also how about some spinblockers in checks and counters?

lol ok, I was about to post Blastoise yesterday -_- ask Bloo I promise
But the thing is, I really could not make it work in practice. The only effective spread is the physically defensive one, and sure, that worked. However it gave the opponent so much momentum every time a Celebi or something came in that I just found it worthless. also note that 252 HP / 252 Def+ takes over 65% from Dragonite's +1 Outrage, so it really isn't that bulky.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
my first thought was 'this is too similar to the standard set'

then i realised Blastoise doesn't have a standard set - he doesn't even have an OU analysis. I know he's a less useful Spinner than Starmie and Tentacruel but good bulk + longevity + better defensive typing than both of them should be enough justification to give this guy an analysis.

the illegality between Foresight and Rain Dish is just heartbreaking because it would have given Blastoise a very solid niche but only being able to use one of the two often leaves him falling short somewhere.

Mention Roar because Blastoise's Dragon Tail is pitifully weak and will bite you in the arse against certain Substitute users like Toxicroak, and you don't wanna risk that 90% acc when trying to counter Dragonite. I'd also honestly consider Hydro Pump alongside Scald because Scald won't OHKO shit like Landorus, Terrakion, Gliscor, Heatran etc even in the Rain whereas Hydro Pump can do all of that and does other cool shit like this:

0 SpA Rain Hydro Pump vs 248/0 Scizor = 58.89% - 69.39%
0 SpA Rain Hydro Pump vs 4/0 Gengar = 81.30% - 96.18%
0 SpA Rain Hydro Pump vs 120/136 Conk = 51.83% - 61.26%
0 SpA Rain Hydro Pump vs 4/0 Magnezone = 65.96% - 77.66%

I prefer that guaranteed punch as opposed to the annoyingly weak 'PLEASEBURNPLEASEBURNPLEASEBURN' Scald but I understand why people would choose to use Scald.

Mention Roar because Blastoise's Dragon Tail is pitifully weak and will bite you in the arse against certain Substitute users like Toxicroak, and you don't wanna risk that 90% acc when trying to counter Dragonite. I'd also honestly consider Hydro Pump alongside Scald because Scald won't OHKO shit like Landorus, Terrakion, Gliscor, Heatran etc even in the Rain whereas Hydro Pump can do all of that and does other cool shit like this
The paradox of using Roar over Dragon Tail for security and saying that a 80% accuracy move with 8PPs is better than Scald. What's good with Scald, and this is why it's the main slash on ANY bulky waters in the tier, is the Burn you're talking about. In that case, it can cripple any SRers except Celebi and Blissey/Chansey, making em easy set-up fodder. It also prevents, sometime (or always..), dangerous threat from sweeping. Without even mentioning the 32pp and 100%acc. Yea, Blastoise won't be harmless after a few switch of the opponent.

About the slash, I feel the main slash don't have to be Protect/Toxic. Toxic is good yea but I think Dragon Tail is a better more than Protect. Why making it another Tentacruel when the tortoise has his own secret weapons.

edit @ Harsha : despite your really good avatar, I have to tell you Bloo isn't jesus (love you Bloo) and there are only a few non-steel mons that can take +1 Outrage (and Tenta can't either)

rofl Mynism. Really, I actually liked using Blastoise but what I found disappointing is that it only gets 1-2 attacking moves so you are sorta a sitting duck when it comes to momentum and that Blastoise is just forced out every time you see a special attacking threat. Also the thing about Roar / Dragon Tail was when I was testing, I used Dragon Tail and got fucked in two battles against Baton Pass teams so I just switched to Roar.

If this gets approved, make sure you REALLY stress why you are using Blastoise (phazing and pure Water typing)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
And yet it's nowhere near as much a paradox as a bulky defensive water that loses to just about every physical attacker in the tier because it fails to KO while getting 2HKO'd in return. Scald is a great move but ultimately you're just blindly fishing and hoping for a burn - which is unreliable and actually counteractive in many instances given the presence of Toxic on the set.

And you cite that Scald prevents dangerous threats from sweeping yet it's the exact reason that Blastoise is going to lose to Terrakion, Landorus, Gliscor, Lucario, Mienshao, Gengar, Tornadus and a bunch more besides who survive Rain-boosted Scald (comfortably in some cases) but risk an OHKO from Rain boosted Hydro Pump (some need hazards but the point stands).

I'm not saying it should be the primary option but if you're ignorant of it's uses then I'd question whether you've ever used Blastoise - his problem has always been the fact that he hits like a little girl and this helps to address that.

Wow, I just threw this together at 2 in the morning not realizing how crappy it looks now XD. Can't believe I forgot to do practically any calculations. TBH, since this is my first thread I based it off of the Ambipom analysis because it was there and provided a template. (bad idea in retrosepct) I figured that it was supposed to be short, sweet, and t the point.

Editing it now tho :P

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Surf? I see an argument between Scald and Hydro Pump, so why not just settle for a reliable move with plenty of PP and a decent power anyways.

Surf doesn't offer any benefits. If you're looking for a move to use, you may as well go with Hydro Pump or Scald since they both offer something. Surf has neither the power of Hydro Pump nor the utility of Scald.

It's hard to merit the use of blastoise over tantacruel on a stall team, that extra toxic spikes and poison types do put tentacruel above and ahead of the game, but I see Nidoqueen being a nice partner to set up toxic spikes and or stealth rock and take away toxic spikes.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is one of the only bulky Rapid Spinners next to Tentacruel and Cloyster (Boosted futher with Rain Dish)
As it stands this is incorrect - most Rapid Spinners are quite bulky. It is one of the only bulky Waters that can learn Rapid Spin, however. Tenta and Cloyster are the two you mentioned, and the other besides Blastoise is Kabutops, whose status as "bulky" is questionable.

Oops, I kept saying it in my head but forgot to write it down *~*

I totally did mean to put that, though. Thanks for reminding me.

Basically: give it a standard physically defensive Rapid Spin set. What it does have over Tentacruel is no Ground weakness and much better physical bulk so it can work as a nice Landorus check (also better against Dragonite / Mence if you use Icebeam)

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This looks a lot better now, but you need to mention Foresight in OO.

Also, Protect + Toxic is a very useful move combination, so you might want to find a way of slashing the moves to permit this.

And yet it's nowhere near as much a paradox as a bulky defensive water that loses to just about every physical attacker in the tier because it fails to KO while getting 2HKO'd in return. Scald is a great move but ultimately you're just blindly fishing and hoping for a burn - which is unreliable and actually counteractive in many instances given the presence of Toxic on the set.

And you cite that Scald prevents dangerous threats from sweeping yet it's the exact reason that Blastoise is going to lose to Terrakion, Landorus, Gliscor, Lucario, Mienshao, Gengar, Tornadus and a bunch more besides who survive Rain-boosted Scald (comfortably in some cases) but risk an OHKO from Rain boosted Hydro Pump (some need hazards but the point stands).

I'm not saying it should be the primary option but if you're ignorant of it's uses then I'd question whether you've ever used Blastoise - his problem has always been the fact that he hits like a little girl and this helps to address that.

I obviously did, but every bulky water in the tier have the same low SAtk and most of them use Scald, anyway. I think I forgot to defend Dragon Tail in the same post, having some clear good points and being very useful with hazards up

edit : I agree with jc104, even if I dont think it should be the main slashes. Put it in AC only to avoid having too much slashes on the third spot, imo, and mention his use with Toxic, Scald and Rain dish

I don't see why this set isn't forgoing the Special Defense EVs for something more... useful. The calcs in the OP are incredibly situational, not to mention that, most of the time, it's unfavorable to have Blastoise at such a low HP stat. For example, I will never see the point in keeping Blastoise in on Ninetales while sun is active, or in on Specs Rotom-W. Bold 252/252 gives Blastoise a very good amount of physical bulk, which obviously melds well with its pure Water typing, further validating the use of Blastoise over Tentacruel. That being said, I have to firmly disagree with the way the spinner set is currently laid out.

Rain Dish is an invaluable tool for any bulky Pokemon with access to it; not abusing Rain Dish with Blastoise is a huge waste, from my perspective. For that reason, I believe that Protect should occupy the third slot by itself. With Protect and assistance from entry hazards, Blastoise can scout for Choiced Pokemon, making a switch if needed, while healing off a large chunk of, if not any damage taken upon switching in. Toxic, Roar (c'mon, Dragon Tail? BP teams with Espeon (the ugliest mon' btw) aren't that common and Sub Nite / Hydra + Flame Body burns from Brokenrona are annoying as hell), etc can take up the final slot, as their utility can be easily emulated by another Pokemon (Toed has Perish Song, Nite has DTail, Ferrothorn / Gastro / Rotom-C can handle bulky waters, Skarm or something can take on dragons... the list of available Pokemon just keeps going on). IMO, the set should look like this:

Name: Utility
Move 1: Rapid Spin
Move 2: Scald
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Roar / Toxic / Ice Beam
Ability: Rain Dish
nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Just mention Dragon Tail and running one of the moves in the 4th slot over Protect in AC. In addition: is there any reason behind why Foresight is in OO? It's certainly not a gimmick, especially once you consider that Blastoise is the only Foresight spinner that doesn't give a fuck about Gengar or burns from Scald / Wisp (still annoying, but Rain Dish really helps). Running Foresight also ensures that Protect won't be as useful, meaning that Blastoise can drop it and still retain the ability to use another utility move in the fourth. Foresight definitely deserves a mention in AC, at the very least.

Finally, remember emphasize on the fact that Blastoise needs a grounded Poison-type and / or cleric, due to being susceptible to Toxic Spikes, unlike Tentacruel. Roserade comes to mind as an excellent partner, due to outright countering Rotom-W and Tentacruel (which Blastoise simply cannot touch without Earthquake -- and Tentacruel will occasionally carry Toxic to troll Jellicent + stuff that hovers over Toxic Spikes), access to entry hazards, and most notably, Aromatherapy, so Blastoise doesn't have to pussyfoot around when facing something with access to status.

I think foresight is in oo because you can't have both raindish + foresight at the same time, but I can't see why we can't just slash foresight with protect and mention both of its abilitys in AC.

Roar obviously has more utility in the sense that it ensures the switch regardless of whether or not the opp is behind a sub or not. But how many pokemon in the current meta often boost from behind a sub? Out of the top 100 OU pokes Dragonite, Salamence, CM Jirachi, Gliscor, Breloom, Magnezone, Toxicroak, and Gorebyss are really the only ones (of course there are rarer sets, but I'm talking about ~10%+).

Blastoise would never stay in on Breloom, Magnezone, Toxicroak, and Jirachi anyway. 4 HP/0 Def Salamence always loses its sub to a negative natured Dragon Tail.

The only ones on the list that Roar would be better for would be Dragonite, Gorebyss (who is ranked 99th most used anyway), and Jirachi (since it could Roar on the CM/sub). Other than that, Dragon Tail at least provides passive damage to the umpteen other pokemon in the tier that it would have any reason to phaze.

As pie cream said, Foresight is illegal with Rain Dish, so you'd have to make some sacrifices if you wanted to use it. But then again, that does bring into play all of the other moves in the OO section such as Icy Wind and Mirror Coat, which both have their uses). I do agree, however, that Protect should be a first option rather than slashed. Since it ensures you recover 1/4 of your HP over the course of 2 turns it really needs the option to be run with Toxic rather than picking one or the other.

Roar obviously has more utility in the sense that it ensures the switch regardless of whether or not the opp is behind a sub or not. But how many pokemon in the current meta often boost from behind a sub? Out of the top 100 OU pokes Dragonite, Salamence, CM Jirachi, Gliscor, Breloom, Magnezone, Toxicroak, and Gorebyss are really the only ones.
Um... you're completely missing the point. Roar is much more reliable than Dragon Tail. Why would anyone want to risk things like Breloom, Sazandora, or Dragonite getting free momentum? Blastoise is weak; and let's face it, Blastoise's Dragon Tail is laughably weak. The "extra" damage won't come in handy as much as perfect accuracy, reliability against most conservative boosters and Substitute users. You should also keep in mind that Bulk Up Toxicroak and Sub + CM Latias -- two large threats to rain teams -- can set up on Blastoise if Dragon Tail is chosen over Roar. Reliability against a wider range of Pokemon greatly outweighs the ability to add a small amount of damage to, potentially, full sets of entry hazards. Really, is the extra 10% really worth giving a pretty hefty chunk of OU the chance to gain momentum?

4 HP/0 Def Salamence always loses its sub to a negative natured Dragon Tail.
Irrelevant, but I just want to clear this up: In what world will Mence be using Substitute and not simply trying to fuck everything up from the get-go?

Um... you're completely missing the point. Roar is much more reliable than Dragon Tail. Why would anyone want to risk things like Breloom, Sazandora, or Dragonite getting free momentum? Blastoise is weak; and let's face it, Blastoise's Dragon Tail is laughably weak. The "extra" damage won't come in handy as much as perfect accuracy, reliability against most conservative boosters and Substitute users. You should also keep in mind that Bulk Up Toxicroak and Sub + CM Latias -- two large threats to rain teams -- can set up on Blastoise if Dragon Tail is chosen over Roar. Reliability against a wider range of Pokemon greatly outweighs the ability to add a small amount of damage to, potentially, full sets of entry hazards. Really, is the extra 10% really worth giving a pretty hefty chunk of OU the chance to gain momentum?
Blastoise would never stay in on Breloom, Magnezone, Toxicroak, and Jirachi anyway.
I tried to be vague about it, but wouldn't Breloom's presence be enough for it to gain momentum on Blastoise? What can Blastoise do to it anyway, like 15-25% with Scald? Hydreigon is similar to Latios, which I showed in the calculations can't even OHKO Blastoise 1/4 of the time w/ 5 higher Base Sp. Atk then Hydreigon anyway. Wouldn't Blastoise technically be gaining momentum then by crippling it with Toxic and Protecting the next Draco Meteor should they stay in?

Dragonite is a special case since unless you run Ice Beam, it's just going to pound your head in all day. I know we are talking about boosting sets behind a sub, but what about pretty much every other set? The best Blastoise is going to do against any Dragonite is Rapid Spin, Toxic/Protect, or Ice Beam if it carries it (which can barely 2HKO the 252 HP set after Leftovers a small amount of the time). Obviuosly the best choice against Dragonite would be Roar since Dragon Tail doesn't break the subs. Even with that, though, we're still talking about a moveset that occurs roughly 5% of the time on a pokemon on 20% of teams. This means that 1% of the time Blastoise will be screwed over (still disregarding any other teammates) versing a Dragonite and will have to switch. When it comes to breaking subs with Dragon Tail, Dragonite, Toxicroak, and Gorebyss are the main problems, and doing all that kind of math again that still leaves Blastoise problems nearly 2% of the time.

Another thing we haven't even mentioned is what if he gets taunted? He can still phaze with Dragon Tail whereas Roar becomes utterly useless. When versing pokemon in those 2% circumstances, it doesn't matter what move Blastoise carries, but when other 98% of the metagame that it would stay in on can effectively get phazed with Dragon Tail (even with its lower accuracy), its still very viable.

In the end it just boils down to personal preference. Both options could be slashed with reasoning being residual damage and ability to use it through Taunt, or reliability and being able to phaze the extra 2% of pokemon.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't play much OU... but I think it can come down to this:

Is phazing/hazing so valuable in OU that you would use this over Tentacruel?

I mean... sure Blastoise has no EQ weakness and a bit more physical bulk, but considering resistances, speed, and the utility of Toxic Spikes (and ability to absorb them), I'd say that blastoise is almost completely outclassed by tenta... So unless you've had a massive outbreak of Golurk (EQ'ing your Tentacruel) in OU... Also both pokes get rain dish.

It really comes down to phazing, with Blastoise getting Roar and Dragon Tail. But what special benefit is there to having Rapid Spin and Phazing on the same poke, when it's enough to find a phazer alongside Tentacruel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)