Blaziken (Revamp)

[OVERVIEW]

Blaziken can potentially be a dangerous sweeper with the combination of Speed Boost and Swords Dance. This is due to its great output with a combination of strong STAB moves, Life Orb, and a solid base 120 Attack stat. Additionally, Blaziken pairs very well with other physical attackers, such as Primal Groudon and Mega Salamence, since they can break down each other's checks and prepare for a sweep. It can even use Baton Pass to switch out and pass its boosts to its teammates. Unfortunately, Blaziken is hindered by four-moveslot syndrome and is heavily crippled by paralysis. Blaziken is also checked by many common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Water Arceus, hindering its effectiveness against many teams. Furthermore, without setting up, Blaziken's damage output leaves something to be desired, and due to its bad defensive stats, it cannot sponge hits, thus making it very difficult to set up. Blaziken cannot fit on many builds and really has to be built around in the beginning of the teambuilding process.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Protect / Swords Dance
move 3: High Jump Kick / Low Kick
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Naughty / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=========
Flare Blitz is one of Blaziken's main STAB moves, 2HKOing almost every Pokemon that doesn't resist it; while the recoil along with Life Orb recoil does wear down Blaziken very quickly, it is still a necessity. Protect gives Blaziken the ability to gain a Speed boost without taking damage or status, letting it outspeed prominent threats such as Mega Salamence on the next turn. Swords Dance can be used to hit harder, but it is hard to set up and utilize. High Jump Kick is insanely strong against everything that doesn't resist it but is risky when the opponent has a Ghost-type or a Protect user. Notably, it is able to 2HKO most variants of Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock damage, which is significant because wearing down and threatening out Primal Groudon is very important in most matches. Low Kick is an alternative STAB option without the risks of recoil from missing or attacking into protect, but it does little damage to lighter Pokemon like Diancie and less damage in general than High Jump Kick, even against heavy Pokemon like Primal Groudon. However, it is a much safer option and doesn't really miss out on any important 2HKOs that High Jump Kick would get. Hidden Power Ice can be used as a coverage move to clobber Mega Salamence and Landorus-T, while Stone Edge would be mostly used in conjuction with Swords Dance to hit Flying-types like Ho-Oh very hard. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to pick off Ghost-types and Psychic-types like Giratina-O and Latios, which normally annoy Blaziken immensely. Baton Pass is also an option in the last moveslot to give Blaziken's boosts to a teammate for a sweep.

Set Details
=========

A Naughty nature is preferred when using Hidden Power Ice so that it gets the most possible damage, while an Adamant nature is preferable when only using physical moves so that Blaziken's defenses aren't weakened. A Naive or Jolly nature can also be used if you want Blaziken to outspeed Mega Gengar and Mewtwo at +1 speed. Full Speed and Attack investment is used to maximize Blaziken's effectiveness as an attacker. Life Orb is chosen over Blazikenite to boost damage output while allowing you to run another Mega Evolution on your team.

Usage Details
=========

Use Protect to get a free Speed Boost when in against threatening Pokemon, but do not use it against setup sweepers, as free boosts for the opponent is never a good thing. Use Swords Dance on predicted double switches to gain momentum and break down walls. Blaziken is meant to function as a late-game cleaner or a wallbreaker to open up for another physical sweeper. It's very important to get Blaziken into play safely, as it is very frail and already has to deal with so much recoil damage. Therefore, bring it in via a double switch or against a Pokemon that cannot truly threaten Blaziken. Flare Blitz should be used carefully because of the intense recoil it has especially combined with Life Orb. Your opponent may try to bait you into using Flare Blitz to wear Blaziken down, so be wary. Blaziken does force a lot of switches due to its great damage output, so Blaziken can really threaten defensive cores if used correctly. Take advantage of the switches that Blaziken forces through anticipating these switches and picking an option appropriately, such as selecting the correct attack or bringing in another strong wallbreaker to really break down opposing defensive cores. Try not to get statused by Klefki or other pokemon because Blaziken is heavily crippled once it is paralyzed or afflicted by Toxic. Be careful of priority users such as Deoxys-A and Extreme Killer Arceus because they can pick Blaziken off after it incurs recoil damage.

Team Options
=========

Mega Salamence is a good offensive teammate to wallbreak and is also a solid secondary late-game cleaner. Klefki provides Spikes support to wear down checks and can cripple opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave or Toxic to help Blaziken clean more easily. Extreme Killer Arceus is an amazing physical sweeper and has great synergy with Blaziken, as they break each other's checks so that one of the two can sweep, much like with Blaziken and Mega Salamence. Xerneas is one of the best setup sweepers in the game and can easily clean up opposing teams once Blaziken has weakened Primal Groudon and other Xerneas checks. Mega Diancie checks Lugia and the Dragon-types that give Blaziken trouble, creating great synergy between the two. Dialga is a great Stealth Rock user that can provide Thunder Wave support and is a great offensive presence that can wear down bulky Pokemon. Primal Groudon provides Stealth Rock and a good offensive teammate to wallbreak, not to mention possible Thunder Wave support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============

Blazikenite is an option for those who want Blaziken to be able to outspeed Pokemon such as Deoxys-A at only +1 Speed. However, holding the Mega Stone makes Blaziken weaker than if it holds Life Orb and gives up its team's slot for a Mega Pokemon. Substitute is an option to set up Swords Dance more easily and to be safe from priority attackers, but only further adds to the high residual damage received from Flare Blitz and Life Orb. Toxic is a cool option to break down bulky Pokemon, being able to punish Pokemon such as Giratina-O and Primal Groudon that commonly switch into Blaziken. Focus Sash can be used as an alternative item to be used on a more Baton Pass-oriented set.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Giratina**: Both formes of Giratina are not threatened by either of Blaziken's STAB moves and are bulky enough to take multiple hits. They can also use Dragon Tail and force Blaziken out making it lose all of its boosts.

**Lugia**: Lugia is an incredibly bulky pokemon that can eat up all of Blaziken's moves consistently. Lugia is slightly annoyed by Knock Off, but it checks Blaziken well regardless.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Arceus formes like Water Arceus and Dragon Arceus do not take super effective damage from Blaziken's STAB moves and can check it fairly easily. They are never 2HKOed and can constantly switch in with no troubles, always forcing Blaziken to switch.

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon is bulky enough to take any one hit from Blaziken while heavily threatening Blaziken with an OHKO from Precipice Blades. Primal Groudon also stops Blaziken from switching in with the fear of Thunder Wave.

**Mega Diancie**: Mega Diancie deters Blaziken's High Jump Kick with Protect and is not hit very hard by Low Kick or any of Blaziken's other moves.

**Ghost Arceus**: Ghost Arceus is immune to Blaziken's Fighting-type STAB, forcing Blaziken to use Flare Blitz and incur recoil damage. Knock Off alone does not 2HKO; committing to Flare Blitz is required.

**Xerneas**: Bulky Rest sets from Xerneas threaten Blaziken heavily due to the fact that they can shrug off Blaziken's attacks and heal off the damage it deals while it incurrs recoil damage in the process.

**Intimidate Users**: Mega Salamence is able to Intimidate Blaziken before it Mega Evolves and is only threatened by the possible Hidden Power Ice. Without Hidden Power Ice, Mega Salamence can set up Dragon Dances on Blaziken and potentially sweep your entire team. Landorus-T is also only threatened by Hidden Power Ice, and it can threaten Blaziken with an OHKO from Earthquake.

**Latios and Latias**: Both Latios and Latias resist Blaziken's STAB moves, but they can be covered with Knock Off if Blaziken is carrying it.

**Priority users**: Priority users such as Deoxys-A or Arceus can pick Blaziken off after Flare Blitz and Life Orb recoil.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock and Spikes wear down Blaziken very quickly, especially with the recoil damage that Blaziken receives.

Last edited:
Reactions: hyw

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Instead of saying "good sweeper" it would be more appropriate to say "potentially dangerous sweeper, etc." We should make sure that this Pokemon isn't oversold. You specifically mention that Blaziken has good offensive stats, and this isn't really true. By Ubers standards, I don't consider 120 / 80 to be good offensive stats: to put it into perspective Braviary has 123 / 80 offenses. It would be more accurate to say something along the lines of "has strong damage output thanks to a combination of strong STAB moves, a Life Orb, and a solid 120 base Attack". The ability Speed Boost is why Blaziken is Uber, and is a big part of why it gets any usage here at all, this should be directly addressed in the intro. The final point about Mega Blaze doesn't need to be mentioned at all, or if it is mentioned, there needs to be a brief explanation as to why Mega Blaziken isn't used. Some other things that the intro missed and I feel should be hit: the prominent Pokemon that check Mega Blaze, synergy it has with other physical attackers, that it has a pretty good movepool, that T Wave completely incapacitates it.

Set and Moves

Don't have a strong opinion on the slashing right now, but I'm not sure why High Jump Kick is primary slash. What key KOs is this getting over Low Kick, other than Mega Diancie? Stone Edge and Knock Off should be individually explained. Depending on other QC opinion, Baton Pass might go here somewhere. HP Ice should get a moves mention. The descriptions on moves, in general, is bare bone atm and should have more worthwhile info.

Set Details

If Jolly is the only nature the language "Jolly can be used" isn't appropriate. Just say something along the lines of "A Jolly nature with 252 Speed EVs are used to outspeed X, Y, and Z" If Adamant isn't slashed it shouldn't be mentioned.

Usage Details

This section is really bare and has some questionable information, for example, using Protect in every possible situation is not good advice to give (set up sweepers). There needs to be strong emphasis on how Blaziken should be used to pressure the physically defensive cores of teams. There should also be mentions on how to mitigate recoil damage when using Blaze (yes this is an issue), and how to get it into play safely.

Team Options

Swords Dance Arceus (especially EKiller) should be mentioned here. Mega Mence should probs be first partner mention. Xerneas and Dialga are also notable offensive teammates.

Other Options

As previously mentioned Baton Pass should probs be moved to the main set, as should HP Ice. That only leaves the Mega Stone from your list. To this I would add High Jump Kick, Substitute, and maybe Toxic.

Checks and Counters

This section needs to specifically list out the Pokemon that fall into each one of your categories. Top checks are Giratina (both) and Lugia. Arceus-Water, Arceus-Dragon, and Primal Groudon are also strong checks.

All the changes above have been made and have improved the current write-up dramatically. However, I stay behind HJK being the main slash since it gets a much more consistent 2HKO on PDon after rocks and in general if Blaziken is Adamant. It is also just more powerful against every pokemon and can really threaten the opponent. If anyone else wants Low Kick over HJK and wants me to add HJK to OO just say. Still unsure if I should slash Adamant nature too.

Last edited:
This would be my personal thoughts on the slashing:

move 3: Low Kick / High Jump Kick (hjk feels more moves to me... not sure)
move 4: Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice
nature: Jolly / Naive < if running HP Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

HJK is insanely risky. The only real target it actually gives a significant damage difference against is Mega Diancie afaik... who runs Protect. Ghost-types like Giratina-O and Arceus-Ghost are probably the first switch-in to Blaze, if not Salamence. HJK does nothing in those matchups, and the chance of taking 50% recoil can really fuck up your chances. SR or Spikes can jump the damage difference gap better than a move as risky as HJK if you ask me.

SD sounds useful (even if the list of things Blaze is forcing out seems rather small to me - Dialga is a big one though) but it falls short in a couple of areas that annoy me:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Arceus-Water: 308-364 (69.3 - 81.9%)
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Arceus-Water: 333-394 (75 - 88.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Stone Edge vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 322-380 (84.5 - 99.7%) < this is less worrying as Salamence at full isn't exactly a reliable check

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 320-376 (79.2 - 93%)

As for what SD does do... well you 2HKO Tina-O with Flare Blitz at +2 and OHKO Latios at +2 / 2HKO without boosts regardless. This makes Knock Off slightly redundant to me as all it really does is OHKO Latios. Its a 50% roll on Mewtwo after SR, and even less of a chance (44%) on Latias. +2 Knock Off only 2HKOs Giratina-O which is something Flare Blitz does anyway, albeit with more recoil. That's why I'd rather see it in the Moves section. Meanwhile, theres this:

0 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 291-348 (91.2 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 265-317 (69.5 - 83.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock < can lower the chances depending just how fat you run mence
0 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 265-317 (75.4 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Which are actually good improvements in some matchups and worthy of a slash to me. The rest of the skeleton is great after the improvements. Lando-T and Mega Salamence could probably be grouped under a point for "Intimidate", as they matchup against Blaziken in similar ways. Focus Sash probably has a place in other options for Baton Passing though... zz

I'll hold up on a QC check until other QC look over my proposed slashing.

Implemented all of Nayrz's changes and rearranged the wording in the Moves section to fit the new slashing.

I had a discussion with dice and we came to the conclusion that Stone Edge is kinda lame. It appears to 'work' only on SD sets (dice thinks SD can only be used with Wobb too - put that in team options) but with SD as second slash, Stone Edge should switch with HP Ice in the slashing. With Protect, HP Ice is far superior.

Also the calc below is just sad... really makes SD way more niche than I originally thought. If QC show any opinions on relegating SD + SE to moves then I'd probably agree with them.

252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Blaziken: 214-253 (71 - 84%)

QC 1/3

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Blaziken teams up very well with other physical attackers, since they can break down each other's checks and help each other clean up
Which physical attackers does it pair well with?

Blaziken also has a pretty good movepool
Which offensive moves in particular? What about utility moves?

Discussed on IRC and I think a slashing of the following works here:

Protect / Flare / HJK / HP Ice gives you a good mix of utility and power. Important calcs here are against support P Don, support Arceus, and Intimidate users. Also HJK 2HKOs Latios and makes it harder for Klefki to come in (the ones that might try to pivot through Low Kick). In terms of 2HKO probability against 248 HP / 0 Def P Don, Low Kick is statistically superior to HJK because of accuracy.

In set details mention a Naive nature with HP Ice or a Jolly nature with Stone Edge, as 252+ +1 Blaze does meet some worthwhile Speed marks (Mewtwo, Mega Gengar, 252 Deoxys-A, 252 Scarf Lando-T).

Change these things and I'll stamp.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Blaziken also has a pretty good movepool, having strong offensive STABs in Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick plus good coverage moves in Hidden Power Ice, Stone Edge, and Knock Off.
HP Ice isn't noteworthy for the intro because almost every Pokemon learns it. Knock Off isn't noteworthy in the intro either: it's not even slashed on the set.

Still some descriptions that could use work but this is ready to be written.

QC: 2/3

Sorry I haven't gotten around to writing this up yet, I've been insanely busy with school work lately. I'll finish this up asap.

Alright, everything is at least somewhat written up at this point, and should be ready for a third check. There are probably a bunch of awkward looking sentences and bad grammar in there, but I've been pretty busy with school lately with this not being my top priority. If you guys could just let me know on anything that looks awkward or if I did something wrong before the 3rd check comes in or even after just stuff to pick and polish up that would be great.

There's a few things that can be improved before QC can send it to GP and it will save you a headache of changes for both parties. "You" is a hard one to use properly in analyses, if its referring to the Pokemon, use the Pokemon's name. The link at the bottom will help figure out when is appropriate to use it because I avoid using it myself so I don't have a clue. Names of mons related stuff should always be capitalized. Abbreviations like "HJK" should just be spelled out. "Ekiller" is "Extreme Killer Arceus" in analyses.
Protect gives you a free speed boost and lets you outspeed prominent threats
It gives Blaziken the boost, and lets Blaziken outspeed things. Repetition of the name is avoidable by changing "you" to "it":
"Protect gives Blaziken the ability to gain a Speed boost without taking damage or status, (its not necessarily "free" as it is a free turn to a potential check for the opp) and lets it outspeed prominent threats such as Mega Salamence on the next turn"
Clarity is very important, as is consistency - I see you have the right idea in some areas but then not in others. Appropriate elaboration (babying the analysis isn't necessary) makes analyses that bit more professional and useful to new users.

Checks and Counters needs a specific layout to work on the smogon dex - see a quick example of it on my Arceus-Water revamp and fix that up.
Other Options
==============

Mega Stone is if you want an ultimately worse option for no reason.
This needs a pretty large explanation behind it - newer users will see that Mega Blaziken has better stats across the board - so you gotta explain why is it ultimately worse. Mega Blaze does actually have perks - it starts at base 100 and can outspeed a bunch of things that regular Blaziken cannot regardless of its nature - even when Mega Blaze is Adamant. Jolly Mega Blaze takes this even further and outspeeds slow Geomancy Xerneas sets at +1, as well as 99% of DD Salamence sets at +1. "Why is Blazikenite an ultimately worse option when it does have advantages?" is the question you gotta answer.

The main reason is that it is outclassed by other Megas, not that Mega Blaze is an overall downgrade to regular Blaze as the writing might suggest.

I should note that I'm just posing the questions that the analysis can support answers to that will make it that bit better. The criticism is not personal. For a first this is actually pretty good!
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3490681/ < this is very useful to new writers, GP will use these standards when checking your stuff so you should read the whole post
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/writing-analyses-common-writing-errors.3490278/

And after all these requested changes I can't even give it the 3rd QC check. After the changes and polish I'd imagine the 3rd QC can come in here and drop one no problem.

I think I made all of the suggested changes, so this is ready for the next check. Let me know if I managed to miss anything.

Not much I have to add here; Nayrz and MS already gave some pretty fleshed out responses.

QC 3/3

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
QC: Nayrz, MS, ZF

Blaziken can be a potentially be a dangerous sweeper duwith the combination of Speed Boost and Swords Dance at. This its disposal. It has strong damageue to its great you can put a different (similar) adjective if you want output due towith a combination of strong STAB moves, Life Orb, and a solid base 120 Attack stat. Additionally, Blaziken teampairs up very well with other physical attackers, such as Primal Groudon and Mega-Salamence, since they can break down each other's checks and help each other clean up. Blaziken also has a pretty good movepool, having strong offensive STABs in Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick, as well as having access to goodprepare for a sweep. It can even utility moves like Baton Pass so that Blaziken canto switch out and pass its boosts unto it's teammates. HoweverUnforunately, Blaziken is hindered by four moveslot syndrome and is notthis is very vague, be more specific this sentence doesn't make much sense here and doesn't really contribute to the overall message able to use everything that it wants to. Speed Boost is a great abheavility that is the main focus point of Blaziken, and is pretty much why it is in the Ubers tier at all. However, Blaziken is pretty mucrippled by paralysis, which useless after getting paralyzed since it fully negatenegates three turns of Speed Boost and incapacitates it's sweeping ability. Blaziken is also checked by many common pPokemon in the current metagame, such as Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Water- Arceus, hindering it's ability to be a defining part of the metagame. Weffectiveness against many teams. Furthermore, without setting up it, Blaziken's damage output leaves something to be desired, and due to its bad defensive stats, it cannot sponge hits thus making it very difficult to set up. Blaziken cannot fit on many builds and really has to be built around in the beginning of the team -building process.

many of the changes were due to lacking flow, good phrasing but issues in terms of transitioning between sentences/thoughts. also not sure if you want to mention baton pass specifically in the overview considering that it's not even slashed on the set.

[Set]

[Set Comments]
Moves
=========
Flare Blitz is one of Blaziken's main STAB moves, 2HKOing almost every Pokemon that doesn't resist it; the recoil along with Life Orb recoil does wear down Blaziken very quickly, but Flare Blitz is still a necessity. Protect gives Blaziken the ability to gain a Speed boost without taking damage or status, and letsting it outspeed prominent threats such as Mega Salamence on the next turn. Swords Dance can be used to hit harder but makes it harder to survive and not get OHKOd Turn 1. I don't like the phrasing of this sentence, seems what you're getting at is that you can hit harder with swords dance but it's very hard to set up...also might want something more specific because just saying blaziken hits harder is very vague High Jump Kick is insanely strong against everything that doesn't resist it, but is risky when the opponent has a gGhost-type, or has Protect user. It is alsoNotably, it is able to 2HKO most variants of Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock damage, which is great sincsignificant because wearing down and threatening out Primal Groudon is very important in most matches. Not only that, but High Jump Kick is able to 2HKO Latios and also threatens Klefki's trying to be cheeky and pivot off of Low Kick. is this actually something people do? doesn't seem worth mentioning Low Kick is used for standard damag alternative STAB option without the repercussions ofisks of recoil from missing or usattacking it on pnto Protect, but does diddly squatlittle damage to lighter Pokemons like Diancie and also less damage in general than High Jump Kick, even against heavy pPokemon like Primal Groudon. However, it is a much safer option and doesn't really miss out on any important 2HKOs that High Jump Kick would get anyways and is a much safer option. Flare Blitz is your other main stab moves and 2HKOs almost every pokemon that doesn't resist it, however the recoil along with Life Orb recoil wears you down very quickly. Hidden Power Ice can be used as youra coverage move to clobber Mega Salamence and Landorus-Therian, while Stone Edge iswould be mostly used in conjuction with Swords Dance to hit fFlying -types like Ho-Oh very hard, and can really threaten the opponent.. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to pick off gGhost- and pPsychic -types like Giratina-O and Latios, which normally annoy Blaziken immensely. Baton Pass is also an option and is used in the last mover a coverage moslot to give to pasBlaziken's your boosts unto youra teammates to for a sweep.

flare blitz is moved to the beginning of the paragraph to match order of moveslots

Set Details
=========

A Naughty nature is to be uspreferred when using Hidden Power Ice so you getthat it does the most possible damage out of it that you can, but, while an Adamant nature is to be used if you'repreferable when only using Stone Edgephysical moves so you can take specialthat Blaziken's defenses attacks moren't weasilykened. A Naive or Jolly Nnature can also be used if you want to outspeed Mega Gengar and Mewtwo at +1 speed. Max max is usFull speed for obvious reasons; hits as hard as it can and is aand attack investment are used to maximize Blaziken's effectiveness fast as it can ben attacker. Life Orb is usedchosen over Blazikenithe mega stone becausto boost damage you hit harder andtput while also get the slot oflowing you to run another mMega Pokemon on your team.

Usage Details
=========

Use pProtect to get a free sSpeed bBoost when in against threatening pokemon, but do not use it against set -up sweepers, as free boosts for the opponent isare never a good thing. Use Swords Dance on predicted doubles to gain momentum and break down walls. Blaziken is meant to befunction as a late -game cleaner, or a wall-breaker to open up for another physical sweeper. It's very important to get Blaziken into play safely, sinceas it it's sovery frail and already has to deal with so much recoil damage. Therefore, and thus should be used tobring it in via a double switch into or against a pPokemon that Blaziken has a gcannot truly threat type advantage over.en Blaziken. something about uturn/volt? not an ubers expert but those have to be something Flare Blitz should not be constantbe used carefully spammed because of the intense recoil it has, especialongly combined with Life Orb, but ; [it should be used on prediction and the forced doubles that Blaziken causes]. I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here, this needs rephrasing Your opponent may try to bait you into using Flare Blitz to build up your recoilwear Blaziken down, so be wary of your opponent's lures. Blaziken does force a lot of switches due to it's strong damage output, so Blaziken can really threaten defensive cores if used correctly. It's important to keep in mindTake advantage of these switches that Blaziken forces, since you can easily through anticipating these switches and predicking an option appropriately, swituch, and forces selecting the correct attack or bringing in another strong wall breaker andto really break down opposing defensive cores. Try not to get statused by Klefki or other pokemon because once Blaziken is heavily crippled once it is paralyzed or toxafflicted, there's not much it can do by Toxic. Be careful of priority users such as Deoxys-A and Extreme Killer Arceus because they can pick youBlaziken off after the many typeit incurs of recoil Blaziken has to deal withdamage.

Team Options
=========

Mega Salamence is a good offensive teammate to wallbreak and is also a goosolid secondary late -game cleaner. Klefki givprovides sSpikes support to wear down checks, and alsocan inflict Thunder Waves/ or Toxic status on opposing pPokemon to help Blaziken clean up more easily later on. Extreme Killer Arceus is an amazing physical sweeper and can has great synergy with Blaziken. T, as they break each other's checks and allowso that one of ther two can sweep, much like with Blaziken and Mega Salamence. Xerneas is one of the best set -up sweepers in the game, and can easily clean up opposing teams once Blaziken has weakened Primal Groudon and it's other Xerneas checks. Mega Diancie checks Lugia and floating dthe Dragon-types that give Blaziken trouble, creating great synergy between the two. Dialga is a great rStealth Rock user that can provide Thunder Wave support, and is a great offensive presence that can wear down bulky pPokemon. Primal Groudon provides Stealth Rock and a good offensive teammate to wallbreak, not to mention possible Thunder Wave support.

[Strategy Comments]
Other Options
==============

Mega StonBlazikenite is an option for those who want Blaziken to be able to outspeed pPokemon such as Deoxys-Attack at only +1 sSpeed. However, holding the Mega Stone means you have to loseakes Blaziken weaker the power thatan if it holds Life Orb and gives, as well as giving up the megaits team's slot on the team compositifor a Mega Pokemon. Substitute is an option to set up Swords Dance more easily and to be safe from priority attackers, but only further adds to the already badhigh residual damage received from Flare Blitz and Life oOrb. Toxic is a cool option thato breaks down bulky pPokemon, and is able to constantly punish the pPokemon such as Primal Groudon that arecommonly switching into Blaziken; such as Primal Groudon. you said that hjk 2hkoes before, you should add another example or two to make this point stronger Focus Sash can be used as an alternative item to be used on a more Baton Pass -oriented set.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Giratina**: Both formes of Giratina dodge boare not threatened by either of Blaziken's STAB moves and are significantly bulky and canto take multiple hits. They can also use Dragon Tail and force Blaziken out, making it lose all of its boosts.

**Lugia**: Lugia is an incredibly bulky pokemon that can eat up all of Blaziken's moves consistently. Lugia is slightly annoyed by Knock Off, but still checks it well regardless.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Arceus Formes like Arceus-Water and Arceus- and Dragon Arceus are formes that do not take super- effective damage from Blaziken's STAB moves and can check it fairly easily. They are never 2HKOed and can constantly switch in with no troubles, always forcing Blaziken to switch.

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon heavily threatens Blaziken with an OHKOing from Precipice Blades and also stops Blaziken from switching in fromwith the fear of Thunder Wave. any comment on its ability to take hits? relevant info probably

**Diancie**: Diancie threatens Blaziken's High Jump Kick with pProtect and is not hit very hard withby Low Kick or any of Blaziken's other moves.

**Arceus-Ghost**: Arceus-Ghost is ablimmune to dodge fBlaziken's Fighting-type STAB and, forcesing Blaziken to use Flare Blitz causingand incur recoil damage. Knock Off alone does not 2HKO and; committing to Flare Blitz is needrequired to get the 2HKO.

**Xerneas**: Many Xerneas nowadays are using bBulky rRest sets thatfrom Xerneas threaten Blaziken heavily due to the fact they can shrug off Blaziken's damage output and rest alheal overff the damage it deals. ...while it incurs recoil damage in the process? just a thought

**Intimidate Users**: Mega Salamence is able to Intimidate Blaziken pre-mMega and is only threatened fromby the possible Hidden Power Ice if Blazik. Without Hidden has it. Also able to threaten thPower Ice, Mega Salamence fact that it can set up Dragon Dances on Blaziken and potentially sweep your entire team. Landorus-Therian uses the same concept as Mega Salamence, Intimidates Blaziken and takes the most damage from is also only threatened by Hidden Power Ice, buand it can threatens Blaziken with a strongn OHKO from Earthquake.

**Latios +and Latias**: Both Latiof these dragond Latias resist both of Blaziken's STAB moves, but is theavily threatencan be covered fromwith Knock Off if Blaziken is carrying it.

**Priority users**: Pokemon likeriority users such as Deoxys-Attack or Arceus can pick Blaziken off after Flare Blitz and Life Orb Recoil.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock and Spikes wear down Blaziken very quickly, especially with the ever present recoil damage that Blaziken receives.

gp 1/2

notes: watch some it's vs its, otherwise just pokegrammar and issues with sentence flow

[Overview]
QC: Nayrz, MS, ZF

Blaziken can be a potentially be a dangerous sweeper duwith the combination of Speed Boost and Swords Dance at. This its disposal. It has strong damageue to its great you can put a different (similar) adjective if you want output due towith a combination of strong STAB moves, Life Orb, and a solid base 120 Attack stat. Additionally, Blaziken teampairs up very well with other physical attackers, such as Primal Groudon and Mega-Salamence, since they can break down each other's checks and help each other clean up. Blaziken also has a pretty good movepool, having strong offensive STABs in Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick, as well as having access to goodprepare for a sweep. It can even utility moves like Baton Pass so that Blaziken canto switch out and pass its boosts unto it's teammates. HoweverUnforunately, Blaziken is hindered by four moveslot syndrome and is notthis is very vague, be more specific this sentence doesn't make much sense here and doesn't really contribute to the overall message able to use everything that it wants to. Speed Boost is a great abheavility that is the main focus point of Blaziken, and is pretty much why it is in the Ubers tier at all. However, Blaziken is pretty mucrippled by paralysis, which useless after getting paralyzed since it fully negatenegates three turns of Speed Boost and incapacitates it's sweeping ability. Blaziken is also checked by many common pPokemon in the current metagame, such as Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Water- Arceus, hindering it's ability to be a defining part of the metagame. Weffectiveness against many teams. Furthermore, without setting up it, Blaziken's damage output leaves something to be desired, and due to its bad defensive stats, it cannot sponge hits thus making it very difficult to set up. Blaziken cannot fit on many builds and really has to be built around in the beginning of the team -building process.

many of the changes were due to lacking flow, good phrasing but issues in terms of transitioning between sentences/thoughts. also not sure if you want to mention baton pass specifically in the overview considering that it's not even slashed on the set.

[Set]

[Set Comments]
Moves
=========
Flare Blitz is one of Blaziken's main STAB moves, 2HKOing almost every Pokemon that doesn't resist it; the recoil along with Life Orb recoil does wear down Blaziken very quickly, but Flare Blitz is still a necessity. Protect gives Blaziken the ability to gain a Speed boost without taking damage or status, and letsting it outspeed prominent threats such as Mega Salamence on the next turn. Swords Dance can be used to hit harder but makes it harder to survive and not get OHKOd Turn 1. I don't like the phrasing of this sentence, seems what you're getting at is that you can hit harder with swords dance but it's very hard to set up...also might want something more specific because just saying blaziken hits harder is very vague High Jump Kick is insanely strong against everything that doesn't resist it, but is risky when the opponent has a gGhost-type, or has Protect user. It is alsoNotably, it is able to 2HKO most variants of Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock damage, which is great sincsignificant because wearing down and threatening out Primal Groudon is very important in most matches. Not only that, but High Jump Kick is able to 2HKO Latios and also threatens Klefki's trying to be cheeky and pivot off of Low Kick. is this actually something people do? doesn't seem worth mentioning Low Kick is used for standard damag alternative STAB option without the repercussions ofisks of recoil from missing or usattacking it on pnto Protect, but does diddly squatlittle damage to lighter Pokemons like Diancie and also less damage in general than High Jump Kick, even against heavy pPokemon like Primal Groudon. However, it is a much safer option and doesn't really miss out on any important 2HKOs that High Jump Kick would get anyways and is a much safer option. Flare Blitz is your other main stab moves and 2HKOs almost every pokemon that doesn't resist it, however the recoil along with Life Orb recoil wears you down very quickly. Hidden Power Ice can be used as youra coverage move to clobber Mega Salamence and Landorus-Therian, while Stone Edge iswould be mostly used in conjuction with Swords Dance to hit fFlying -types like Ho-Oh very hard, and can really threaten the opponent.. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to pick off gGhost- and pPsychic -types like Giratina-O and Latios, which normally annoy Blaziken immensely. Baton Pass is also an option and is used in the last mover a coverage moslot to give to pasBlaziken's your boosts unto youra teammates to for a sweep.

flare blitz is moved to the beginning of the paragraph to match order of moveslots

Set Details
=========

A Naughty nature is to be uspreferred when using Hidden Power Ice so you getthat it does the most possible damage out of it that you can, but, while an Adamant nature is to be used if you'repreferable when only using Stone Edgephysical moves so you can take specialthat Blaziken's defenses attacks moren't weasilykened. A Naive or Jolly Nnature can also be used if you want to outspeed Mega Gengar and Mewtwo at +1 speed. Max max is usFull speed for obvious reasons; hits as hard as it can and is aand attack investment are used to maximize Blaziken's effectiveness fast as it can ben attacker. Life Orb is usedchosen over Blazikenithe mega stone becausto boost damage you hit harder andtput while also get the slot oflowing you to run another mMega Pokemon on your team.

Usage Details
=========

Use pProtect to get a free sSpeed bBoost when in against threatening pokemon, but do not use it against set -up sweepers, as free boosts for the opponent isare never a good thing. Use Swords Dance on predicted doubles to gain momentum and break down walls. Blaziken is meant to befunction as a late -game cleaner, or a wall-breaker to open up for another physical sweeper. It's very important to get Blaziken into play safely, sinceas it it's sovery frail and already has to deal with so much recoil damage. Therefore, and thus should be used tobring it in via a double switch into or against a pPokemon that Blaziken has a gcannot truly threat type advantage over.en Blaziken. something about uturn/volt? not an ubers expert but those have to be something Flare Blitz should not be constantbe used carefully spammed because of the intense recoil it has, especialongly combined with Life Orb, but ; [it should be used on prediction and the forced doubles that Blaziken causes]. I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here, this needs rephrasing Your opponent may try to bait you into using Flare Blitz to build up your recoilwear Blaziken down, so be wary of your opponent's lures. Blaziken does force a lot of switches due to it's strong damage output, so Blaziken can really threaten defensive cores if used correctly. It's important to keep in mindTake advantage of these switches that Blaziken forces, since you can easily through anticipating these switches and predicking an option appropriately, swituch, and forces selecting the correct attack or bringing in another strong wall breaker andto really break down opposing defensive cores. Try not to get statused by Klefki or other pokemon because once Blaziken is heavily crippled once it is paralyzed or toxafflicted, there's not much it can do by Toxic. Be careful of priority users such as Deoxys-A and Extreme Killer Arceus because they can pick youBlaziken off after the many typeit incurs of recoil Blaziken has to deal withdamage.

Team Options
=========

Mega Salamence is a good offensive teammate to wallbreak and is also a goosolid secondary late -game cleaner. Klefki givprovides sSpikes support to wear down checks, and alsocan inflict Thunder Waves/ or Toxic status on opposing pPokemon to help Blaziken clean up more easily later on. Extreme Killer Arceus is an amazing physical sweeper and can has great synergy with Blaziken. T, as they break each other's checks and allowso that one of ther two can sweep, much like with Blaziken and Mega Salamence. Xerneas is one of the best set -up sweepers in the game, and can easily clean up opposing teams once Blaziken has weakened Primal Groudon and it's other Xerneas checks. Mega Diancie checks Lugia and floating dthe Dragon-types that give Blaziken trouble, creating great synergy between the two. Dialga is a great rStealth Rock user that can provide Thunder Wave support, and is a great offensive presence that can wear down bulky pPokemon. Primal Groudon provides Stealth Rock and a good offensive teammate to wallbreak, not to mention possible Thunder Wave support.

[Strategy Comments]
Other Options
==============

Mega StonBlazikenite is an option for those who want Blaziken to be able to outspeed pPokemon such as Deoxys-Attack at only +1 sSpeed. However, holding the Mega Stone means you have to loseakes Blaziken weaker the power thatan if it holds Life Orb and gives, as well as giving up the megaits team's slot on the team compositifor a Mega Pokemon. Substitute is an option to set up Swords Dance more easily and to be safe from priority attackers, but only further adds to the already badhigh residual damage received from Flare Blitz and Life oOrb. Toxic is a cool option thato breaks down bulky pPokemon, and is able to constantly punish the pPokemon such as Primal Groudon that arecommonly switching into Blaziken; such as Primal Groudon. you said that hjk 2hkoes before, you should add another example or two to make this point stronger Focus Sash can be used as an alternative item to be used on a more Baton Pass -oriented set.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Giratina**: Both formes of Giratina dodge boare not threatened by either of Blaziken's STAB moves and are significantly bulky and canto take multiple hits. They can also use Dragon Tail and force Blaziken out, making it lose all of its boosts.

**Lugia**: Lugia is an incredibly bulky pokemon that can eat up all of Blaziken's moves consistently. Lugia is slightly annoyed by Knock Off, but still checks it well regardless.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Arceus Formes like Arceus-Water and Arceus- and Dragon Arceus are formes that do not take super- effective damage from Blaziken's STAB moves and can check it fairly easily. They are never 2HKOed and can constantly switch in with no troubles, always forcing Blaziken to switch.

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon heavily threatens Blaziken with an OHKOing from Precipice Blades and also stops Blaziken from switching in fromwith the fear of Thunder Wave. any comment on its ability to take hits? relevant info probably

**Diancie**: Diancie threatens Blaziken's High Jump Kick with pProtect and is not hit very hard withby Low Kick or any of Blaziken's other moves.

**Arceus-Ghost**: Arceus-Ghost is ablimmune to dodge fBlaziken's Fighting-type STAB and, forcesing Blaziken to use Flare Blitz causingand incur recoil damage. Knock Off alone does not 2HKO and; committing to Flare Blitz is needrequired to get the 2HKO.

**Xerneas**: Many Xerneas nowadays are using bBulky rRest sets thatfrom Xerneas threaten Blaziken heavily due to the fact they can shrug off Blaziken's damage output and rest alheal overff the damage it deals. ...while it incurs recoil damage in the process? just a thought

**Intimidate Users**: Mega Salamence is able to Intimidate Blaziken pre-mMega and is only threatened fromby the possible Hidden Power Ice if Blazik. Without Hidden has it. Also able to threaten thPower Ice, Mega Salamence fact that it can set up Dragon Dances on Blaziken and potentially sweep your entire team. Landorus-Therian uses the same concept as Mega Salamence, Intimidates Blaziken and takes the most damage from is also only threatened by Hidden Power Ice, buand it can threatens Blaziken with a strongn OHKO from Earthquake.

**Latios +and Latias**: Both Latiof these dragond Latias resist both of Blaziken's STAB moves, but is theavily threatencan be covered fromwith Knock Off if Blaziken is carrying it.

**Priority users**: Pokemon likeriority users such as Deoxys-Attack or Arceus can pick Blaziken off after Flare Blitz and Life Orb Recoil.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock and Spikes wear down Blaziken very quickly, especially with the ever present recoil damage that Blaziken receives.

gp 1/2

notes: watch some it's vs its, otherwise just pokegrammar and issues with sentence flow
Done, ready for second check.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[Overview] [OVERVIEW]

Blaziken can potentially be a dangerous sweeper with the combination of Speed Boost and Swords Dance. This is due to its great output with a combination of strong STAB moves, Life Orb, and a solid base 120 Attack stat. Additionally, Blaziken pairs very well with other physical attackers, such as Primal Groudon and Mega Salamence, (RH) since they can break down each other's checks and prepare for a sweep. It can even use Baton Pass to switch out and pass its boosts to its teammates. Unfortunately, Blaziken is hindered by four-moveslot (AH) syndrome and is heavily crippled by paralyzed, paralysis, (AC) which negates three turns of Speed Boost. (six turns, not three, probably just cut that bit) Blaziken is also checked by many common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Water Arceus, hindering its effectiveness against many teams. Furthermore, without setting up, Blaziken's damage output leaves something to be desired, and due to its bad defensive stats, it cannot sponge hits, (AC) thus making it very difficult to set up. Blaziken cannot fit on many builds and really has to be built around in the beginning of the team building teambuilding process.

[Set][SET]
EVs evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[Set Comments] [SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=========
Flare Blitz is one of Blaziken's main STAB moves, 2HKOing almost every Pokemon that doesn't resist it; while the recoil along with Life Orb recoil does wear down Blaziken very quickly, but Flare Blitz it is still a necessity (insert reason here; "for its sheer power" maybe?). Protect gives Blaziken the ability to gain a Speed boost without taking damage or status, letting it outspeed prominent threats such as Mega Salamence on the next turn. Swords Dance can be used to hit harder, but it is hard to set up and utilize. High Jump Kick is insanely strong against everything that doesn't resist it (RC) but is risky when the opponent has a Ghost-type (RC) or a Protect user. Notably, it is able to 2HKO most variants of Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock damage, which is significant because wearing down and threatening out Primal Groudon is very important in most matches. Low Kick is an alternative STAB option without the risks of recoil from missing or attacking into protect, but it does little damage to lighter Pokemon like Diancie and less damage in general than High Jump Kick, even against heavy Pokemon like Primal Groudon. However, it is a much safer option and doesn't really miss out on any important 2HKOs that High Jump Kick would get. Hidden Power Ice can be used as a coverage move to clobber Mega Salamence and Landorus-Therian, Landorus-T, while Stone Edge would be mostly used in conjuction with Swords Dance to hit Flying-types like Ho-Oh very hard. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to pick off Ghost-types and Psychic-types like Giratina-O and Latios, which normally annoy Blaziken immensely. Baton Pass is also an option in the last moveslot to give Blaziken's boosts to a teammate for a sweep.

Set Details
=========

A Naughty nature is preferred when using Hidden Power Ice so that it gets the most possible damage, while an Adamant nature is preferable when only using physical moves so that Blaziken's defenses aren't weakened. A Naive or Jolly nature can also be used if you want Blaziken to outspeed Mega Gengar and Mewtwo at +1 speed. Full Speed and Attack investment are is used to maximize Blaziken's effectiveness as an attacker. Life Orb is chosen over Blazikenite to boost damage output while allowing you to run another Mega Pokemon Evolution on your team.

Usage Details
=========

Use Protect to get a free Speed Boost when in against threatening Pokemon, but do not use it against set up setup sweepers, as free boosts for the opponent is never a good thing. Use Swords Dance on predicted double switches to gain momentum and break down walls. Blaziken is meant to function as a late-game cleaner or a wall-breaker wallbreaker to open up for another physical sweeper. It's very important to get Blaziken into play safely, (AC) as it is very frail and already has to deal with so much recoil damage. Therefore, bring it in via a double switch or against a Pokemon that cannot truly threaten Blaziken. Flare Blitz should be used carefully because of the intense recoil it has especially combined with Life Orb. Your opponent may try to bait you into using Flare Blitz to wear Blaziken down, so be wary. Blaziken does force a lot of switches due to its strong great damage output, so Blaziken can really threaten defensive cores if used correctly. Take advantage of the switches that Blaziken forces through anticipating these switches and picking an option appropriately, such as selecting the correct attack or bringing in another strong wall breaker wallbreaker to really break down opposing defensive cores. Try not to get statused by Klefki or other pokemon because Blaziken is heavily crippled once it is paralyzed or afflicted by Toxic. Be careful of priority users such as Deoxys-A and Extreme Killer Arceus because they can pick Blaziken off after it incurs recoil damage.

Team Options
=========

Mega Salamence is a good offensive teammate to wallbreak and is also a solid secondary late-game cleaner. Klefki provides Spikes support to wear down checks and can inflict cripple opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave or Toxic status on opposing Pokemon to help Blaziken clean more easily. Extreme Killer Arceus is an amazing physical sweeper and has great synergy with Blaziken, as they break each other's checks so that one of the two can sweep, much like with Blaziken and Mega Salamence. Xerneas is one of the best set-up setup sweepers in the game (RC) and can easily clean up opposing teams once Blaziken has weakened Primal Groudon and other Xerneas checks. Mega Diancie checks Lugia and the Dragon-types that give Blaziken trouble, creating great synergy between the two. Dialga is a great Stealth Rock user that can provide Thunder Wave support and is a great offensive presence that can wear down bulky Pokemon. Primal Groudon provides Stealth Rock and a good offensive teammate to wallbreak, not to mention possible Thunder Wave support.

[Strategy Comments] [STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============

Blazikenite is an option for those who want Blaziken to be able to outspeed Pokemon such as Deoxys-A at only +1 Speed. However, holding the Mega Stone makes Blaziken weaker than if it holds Life Orb and gives up its team's slot for a Mega Pokemon. Substitute is an option to set up Swords Dance more easily and to be safe from priority attackers, but only further adds to the high residual damage received from Flare Blitz and Life Orb. Toxic is a cool option to break down bulky Pokemon, being able to punish Pokemon such as Giratina-O and Primal Groudon that commonly switch into Blaziken. Focus Sash can be used as an alternative item to be used on a more Baton Pass-oriented (AH) set.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Giratina**: Both formes of Giratina are not threatened by either of Blaziken's STAB moves and are bulky enough to take multiple hits. They can also use Dragon Tail and force Blaziken out making it lose all of its boosts.

**Lugia**: Lugia is an incredibly bulky pokemon that can eat up all of Blaziken's (apostrophe) moves consistently. Lugia is slightly annoyed by Knock Off, but it still checks it Blaziken well regardless.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Arceus formes like Water Arceus and Dragon Arceus are formes that do not take super(space)effective damage from Blaziken's STAB moves and can check it fairly easily. They are never 2HKOed and can constantly switch in with no troubles, always forcing Blaziken to switch.

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon is bulky enough to take any one hit from Blaziken (RC) while heavily threatening Blaziken with an OHKO from Precipice Blades. Primal Groudon also stops Blaziken from switching in with the fear of Thunder Wave.

**Mega Diancie**: Mega Diancie threatens deters Blaziken's High Jump Kick with Protect and is not hit very hard by Low Kick or any of Blaziken's (apo) other moves.

**Ghost Arceus-Ghost**: Ghost Arceus-Ghost is immune to Blaziken's Fighting-type STAB, (AC) forcing Blaziken to use Flare Blitz and incur recoil damage. Knock Off alone does not 2HKO; committing to Flare Blitz is required.

**Xerneas**: Bulky Rest sets from Xerneas threaten Blaziken heavily due to the fact that they can shrug off Blaziken's damage output attacks and heal off the damage it deals (RC) incurring while it incurs recoil damage in the process.

**Intimidate Users**: Mega Salamence is able to Intimidate Blaziken pre Mega before it Mega Evolves and is only threatened by the possible Hidden Power Ice. Without Hidden Power Ice, Mega Salamence can set up Dragon Dances on Blaziken and potentially sweep your entire team. Landorus-T is also only threatened by Hidden Power Ice, and it can threaten Blaziken with an OHKO from Earthquake.

**Latios and Latias**: Both Latios and Latias resist Blaziken's STAB moves, but they can be covered with Knock Off if Blaziken is carrying it.

**Priority users**: Priority users such as Deoxys-A or Arceus can pick Blaziken off after Flare Blitz and Life Orb recoil.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock and Spikes wear down Blaziken very quickly, especially with the recoil damage that Blaziken receives.

Last edited:

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[Overview] [OVERVIEW]

Blaziken can potentially be a dangerous sweeper with the combination of Speed Boost and Swords Dance. This is due to its great output with a combination of strong STAB moves, Life Orb, and a solid base 120 Attack stat. Additionally, Blaziken pairs very well with other physical attackers, such as Primal Groudon and Mega Salamence, (RH) since they can break down each other's checks and prepare for a sweep. It can even use Baton Pass to switch out and pass its boosts to its teammates. Unfortunately, Blaziken is hindered by four-moveslot (AH) syndrome and is heavily crippled by paralyzed, paralysis, (AC) which negates three turns of Speed Boost. (six turns, not three, probably just cut that bit) Blaziken is also checked by many common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Water Arceus, hindering its effectiveness against many teams. Furthermore, without setting up, Blaziken's damage output leaves something to be desired, and due to its bad defensive stats, it cannot sponge hits, (AC) thus making it very difficult to set up. Blaziken cannot fit on many builds and really has to be built around in the beginning of the team building teambuilding process.

[Set][SET]
EVs evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[Set Comments] [SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=========
Flare Blitz is one of Blaziken's main STAB moves, 2HKOing almost every Pokemon that doesn't resist it; while the recoil along with Life Orb recoil does wear down Blaziken very quickly, but Flare Blitz it is still a necessity (insert reason here; "for its sheer power" maybe?). Protect gives Blaziken the ability to gain a Speed boost without taking damage or status, letting it outspeed prominent threats such as Mega Salamence on the next turn. Swords Dance can be used to hit harder, but it is hard to set up and utilize. High Jump Kick is insanely strong against everything that doesn't resist it (RC) but is risky when the opponent has a Ghost-type (RC) or a Protect user. Notably, it is able to 2HKO most variants of Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock damage, which is significant because wearing down and threatening out Primal Groudon is very important in most matches. Low Kick is an alternative STAB option without the risks of recoil from missing or attacking into protect, but it does little damage to lighter Pokemon like Diancie and less damage in general than High Jump Kick, even against heavy Pokemon like Primal Groudon. However, it is a much safer option and doesn't really miss out on any important 2HKOs that High Jump Kick would get. Hidden Power Ice can be used as a coverage move to clobber Mega Salamence and Landorus-Therian, Landorus-T, while Stone Edge would be mostly used in conjuction with Swords Dance to hit Flying-types like Ho-Oh very hard. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to pick off Ghost-types and Psychic-types like Giratina-O and Latios, which normally annoy Blaziken immensely. Baton Pass is also an option in the last moveslot to give Blaziken's boosts to a teammate for a sweep.

Set Details
=========

A Naughty nature is preferred when using Hidden Power Ice so that it gets the most possible damage, while an Adamant nature is preferable when only using physical moves so that Blaziken's defenses aren't weakened. A Naive or Jolly nature can also be used if you want Blaziken to outspeed Mega Gengar and Mewtwo at +1 speed. Full Speed and Attack investment are is used to maximize Blaziken's effectiveness as an attacker. Life Orb is chosen over Blazikenite to boost damage output while allowing you to run another Mega Pokemon Evolution on your team.

Usage Details
=========

Use Protect to get a free Speed Boost when in against threatening Pokemon, but do not use it against set up setup sweepers, as free boosts for the opponent is never a good thing. Use Swords Dance on predicted double switches to gain momentum and break down walls. Blaziken is meant to function as a late-game cleaner or a wall-breaker wallbreaker to open up for another physical sweeper. It's very important to get Blaziken into play safely, (AC) as it is very frail and already has to deal with so much recoil damage. Therefore, bring it in via a double switch or against a Pokemon that cannot truly threaten Blaziken. Flare Blitz should be used carefully because of the intense recoil it has especially combined with Life Orb. Your opponent may try to bait you into using Flare Blitz to wear Blaziken down, so be wary. Blaziken does force a lot of switches due to its strong great damage output, so Blaziken can really threaten defensive cores if used correctly. Take advantage of the switches that Blaziken forces through anticipating these switches and picking an option appropriately, such as selecting the correct attack or bringing in another strong wall breaker wallbreaker to really break down opposing defensive cores. Try not to get statused by Klefki or other pokemon because Blaziken is heavily crippled once it is paralyzed or afflicted by Toxic. Be careful of priority users such as Deoxys-A and Extreme Killer Arceus because they can pick Blaziken off after it incurs recoil damage.

Team Options
=========

Mega Salamence is a good offensive teammate to wallbreak and is also a solid secondary late-game cleaner. Klefki provides Spikes support to wear down checks and can inflict cripple opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave or Toxic status on opposing Pokemon to help Blaziken clean more easily. Extreme Killer Arceus is an amazing physical sweeper and has great synergy with Blaziken, as they break each other's checks so that one of the two can sweep, much like with Blaziken and Mega Salamence. Xerneas is one of the best set-up setup sweepers in the game (RC) and can easily clean up opposing teams once Blaziken has weakened Primal Groudon and other Xerneas checks. Mega Diancie checks Lugia and the Dragon-types that give Blaziken trouble, creating great synergy between the two. Dialga is a great Stealth Rock user that can provide Thunder Wave support and is a great offensive presence that can wear down bulky Pokemon. Primal Groudon provides Stealth Rock and a good offensive teammate to wallbreak, not to mention possible Thunder Wave support.

[Strategy Comments] [STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============

Blazikenite is an option for those who want Blaziken to be able to outspeed Pokemon such as Deoxys-A at only +1 Speed. However, holding the Mega Stone makes Blaziken weaker than if it holds Life Orb and gives up its team's slot for a Mega Pokemon. Substitute is an option to set up Swords Dance more easily and to be safe from priority attackers, but only further adds to the high residual damage received from Flare Blitz and Life Orb. Toxic is a cool option to break down bulky Pokemon, being able to punish Pokemon such as Giratina-O and Primal Groudon that commonly switch into Blaziken. Focus Sash can be used as an alternative item to be used on a more Baton Pass-oriented (AH) set.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Lugia**: Lugia is an incredibly bulky pokemon that can eat up all of Blaziken's (apostrophe) moves consistently. Lugia is slightly annoyed by Knock Off, but it still checks it Blaziken well regardless.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Arceus formes like Water Arceus and Dragon Arceus are formes that do not take super(space)effective damage from Blaziken's STAB moves and can check it fairly easily. They are never 2HKOed and can constantly switch in with no troubles, always forcing Blaziken to switch.

**Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon is bulky enough to take any one hit from Blaziken (RC) while heavily threatening Blaziken with an OHKO from Precipice Blades. Primal Groudon also stops Blaziken from switching in with the fear of Thunder Wave.

**Mega Diancie**: Mega Diancie threatens deters Blaziken's High Jump Kick with Protect and is not hit very hard by Low Kick or any of Blaziken's (apo) other moves.

**Ghost Arceus-Ghost**: Ghost Arceus-Ghost is immune to Blaziken's Fighting-type STAB, (AC) forcing Blaziken to use Flare Blitz and incur recoil damage. Knock Off alone does not 2HKO; committing to Flare Blitz is required.

**Xerneas**: Bulky Rest sets from Xerneas threaten Blaziken heavily due to the fact that they can shrug off Blaziken's damage output attacks and heal off the damage it deals (RC) incurring while it incurs recoil damage in the process.

**Intimidate Users**: Mega Salamence is able to Intimidate Blaziken pre Mega before it Mega Evolves and is only threatened by the possible Hidden Power Ice. Without Hidden Power Ice, Mega Salamence can set up Dragon Dances on Blaziken and potentially sweep your entire team. Landorus-T is also only threatened by Hidden Power Ice, and it can threaten Blaziken with an OHKO from Earthquake.

Done and ready to be uploaded. Thanks everyone for the help and constructive criticism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)