Blindmons (revived and on Origin!)

Honestly, Mega Lopunny could conceivably run this.
In any case, it would probably make more sense to run Protect and Substitute in the first two slots, because they're decently useful moves in their own right, learned by nigh every Pokemon, and are more typically used on things like Breloom and Gliscor.

Well then, considering it's literally perfect coverage, I think Mega Lopunny should be S Rank, because, you can't even see it coming.

Second point, Baton Passing Substitutes will be extremely useful, as it's a low-risk, high-reward situation!

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
W-woah there, don't you think it's a little too early for viability rankings? :P
That being said, I've been thinking similar things as you guys; I theorymonned with a bunch of people about things that are extra deadly when 'you can't even see it coming', and it occurred to us that despite the STag ban, trapping would still be very OP, ranging from Mean Look \ Perish Song to Infestation stalling, to Magnet Pull trapping because Steel-types should still be prevalent.
In playtesting it turns out that stall is quite potent (as expected) and Mega Altaria might be one of the better megas still. Roost\Sub\Return\Dragon Dance looks highly generic, not unlike the mega bunny mentioned above.

I find this very interesting to try because of how diverse/undiverse movesets can be across all pokemon. I agree that staple moves like sub, protect, even offbrand moves like Taunt or Toxic can be a great misleading thing. I prefer to figure out pokemon via typing using scouting moves similar to the strats used to identify hidden powers in FR/LG

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
cool meta!!!
Substitute is quite the move there, giving you a shield to scout for moves without revealing too much, and you could get a free turn!
Having good STAB coverage seems fundamental in order to have some moves to spam. Coverage might even be sacrificed for substitute, since you cannot guess what typing the enemy is. However, you could run coverage in the two slots to disguise stuff ( idk, for example Tbolt / Hp[ Fire ] / Draco / Psyshock
Latios to disguise as an Electric type ).
Setup seems even better, for you can use it in the 2nd slot to confuse other guys, and try to crush stuff with your wide-coverage STAB. Immunities are great to get a free turn.

a few suggestions

Only 1 move is revealed.

Having Mega pokemon turn into Sigiliph

When a pokemon mega evolves, another move is revealed

I know the last post on this thread was made nearly eleven months ago, but I have to say, this is a really cool idea for a meta! The change is pretty simple, and it doesn't really affect gameplay mechanics directly that much, but it drastically changes how one would go about playing because half the time you can't even be sure of what you're up against. One thing that might be worth noting is that it might be a good idea to avoid using abilities that announce their identities upon switch-in even if they're superior to other options that Pokémon has if you're aiming to trip up your opponent, as that will narrow down your Pokémon's identity further and often serve to give it away entirely. Also, lure moves in general will be more effective thanks to the disguise mechanic; simply put two moves that could conceivably be run by another Pokémon in your first and second slots, and use moves that hit that Pokémon's switch-ins effectively in your third and fourth. Not perfect, but probably the best way to go about it.

Also, I agree with the idea to have Mega Evolutions disguised as Sigilyph if that's possible to implement. Mostly because that's hilarious, though.

(don't have any set ideas right now, sorry)

I think uncommon mons with lure movesets like your Braviary example are good in this meta. Either that, or Talonflame becomes amazing because everyone predicts Braviary ;).

Volbeat (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tail Glow
- Dazzling Gleam / Substitute / Protect
- Baton Pass
- Substitute / Encore

Obviously a Manaphy. ;)
Feel free to then pass to something like Latios, which resists Grass and Electric attacks aimed at "Manaphy".

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack

Would work well because of Mold Breaker gets announced after switching in. Pinsir resists Fighting and Ground moves aimed at "Excadrill". It's a one-time deal though, because mega-evolving would reveal your true identity (hopefully when it's already too late for the opponent). Also works in reverse with Excadrill resisting Flying and Rock moves. They're both weak to Fire though (maybe you can use this to your advantage).

Magic Bounce would be pretty cool as well — enough to give you hazards and setup in the same turn.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know the last post on this thread was made nearly eleven months ago, but I have to say, this is a really cool idea for a meta! The change is pretty simple, and it doesn't really affect gameplay mechanics directly that much, but it drastically changes how one would go about playing because half the time you can't even be sure of what you're up against. One thing that might be worth noting is that it might be a good idea to avoid using abilities that announce their identities upon switch-in even if they're superior to other options that Pokémon has if you're aiming to trip up your opponent, as that will narrow down your Pokémon's identity further and often serve to give it away entirely. Also, lure moves in general will be more effective thanks to the disguise mechanic; simply put two moves that could conceivably be run by another Pokémon in your first and second slots, and use moves that hit that Pokémon's switch-ins effectively in your third and fourth. Not perfect, but probably the best way to go about it.

Also, I agree with the idea to have Mega Evolutions disguised as Sigilyph if that's possible to implement. Mostly because that's hilarious, though.

(don't have any set ideas right now, sorry)
Well, I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised by the renewed interest in this format! :)

This prompted me to take another look at the ruleset and carry out some refinements. I've decided to do away with mega evolutions entirely, as well as everything that cause form changing mid-battle, so that the battle stays entirely blind. Compared to last year, we now have the Shadow Tag ban, which is a good thing, and I've decided to ban Arena Trap as well, since I believe trapping isn't very competitive, especially not in a Team Preview-less metagame.

OP has been updated, and thanks to Sparkychild we've ironed out some technical problems and put it up on origin.psim.us! So hop on and give it a try, maybe starting with your normal OU team (but no megas!) and see if you can out-smart/out-bluff your friend. :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)