Walrus BLOODY's 2020 Walrus

General Information

Introduction:
In case you don’t know, walrus is a game where you send in a song each for the categories listed below. Preferably ones that you think I’ll like, but hey, you do you. Normally I include a story along with these things, but my idea that contained a plot kind of sucked and so we’re shelving Wall Ross and just going with a mostly flavorless walrus.

Scoring:
Songs’ scores will be put together from a few things, mainly how much I like them. A more detailed breakdown of scoring is shown below. In an effort to rob less people on great song eh catfit I’ve once again decreased catfit’s role in scoring.
Catfails receive no points. I will warn you if you have a catfail, but it may be on somewhat short notice. Please don’t send me catfails.
Rating:
Rating is a measure of how much I enjoyed the song. It ranges from 0.1 points to 10.0 points. Songs will be revealed in order of rating. Any song that scores an 8.0 or above will get a bonus of .5 points, and any song that scores 9.0 or above will receive a bonus of a full point. 8.0 and 9.0 are major watersheds on my personal rating scale so these bonuses aren’t really arbitrary- even if a bunch of songs scored 7.9 I wouldn’t bump any of them to 8.0 or higher to prevent the massive tie, they’re 7.X songs. Same for 9.0.
Catfit: Every song will receive a score for how well it fits the category, unless the category is a “you either fit it or you don’t” category (in which case I'll just give everyone the same score). The scale for this will be 0.1 points for extremely loose cat fits to 2.0 for extremely good cat fits.
Familiarity: You will receive points based on whether I’m familiar with the artist/song you’ve subbed. This ranges from a point for artists I’m completely unfamiliar with to .0 points for artists I’m aware of and have listened to enough from (or for specific songs I'm familiar with). Unless I’m very familiar with artist you sent or have actively listened to the song you sent me you should get some score here.
Example: Here’s an example of the scoring system above using Foreground Eclipse - If You Feel Like Sinking Down.
8.7 (Rating) + 1.8 (Catfit) + .0 (Artist) = 11.0 points (Total)

Each player’s lowest score will be dropped and replaced with their best score. This also means you can skip one cat if you really feel like it, although I’d prefer to listen to a full sub. Up to you though.
...Sorry if it looks overcomplicated, I just find it easier to write all my grading criteria out and separate them ahead of time than to condense them all into one score. If it makes you feel better the scoring system is just my problem to keep track of, if I am being stupid it should hopefully not affect you guys.

Banned Artists:
I’m not going to explicitly list a bunch of banned artists, but I have a few rules.
  • Don’t sub artists you know I’m very familiar with
  • Don’t sub songs you know have been subbed to a previous walrus I hosted
  • Don’t sub songs you know I’ve subbed to another walrus or used in one of my walruses
  • Don't sub the songs categories are named after.
  • Don’t sub example songs.
That’s basically it, just don’t try to break those rules and we’re good. If you break one on accident then oh well, it’s an accident, it’s fine.

Musical Tastes
I don’t mind most noise, screaming, robotic voices, or other extreme musical styles. I have no preferences on song language. I like to read the lyrics to songs if they’re not English but it doesn’t really matter unless it’s a lyrically-themed category. A slight majority of the music I listen to is in Japanese and while you’re free to send me Japanese stuff the language specifically won’t help. It’s less preference, more what I’m used to and what my peers listen to.

Favorite genres: Breakcore, melodic death metal, shoegaze (just got into it recently, i’m really digging it for now), J-core (the electronic genre)
Genres I usually like a lot: Denpa, most electronic sans EDM or dubstep, most metal sans ‘classic’ stuff, “noise” music that isn’t too artsy (I’d love to go into more detail here but despite liking several genres in this range I haven’t listened to a ton), disco, funk, J-pop
Genres I usually hate: Top 40-style pop, country (especially pop country), nightcore (I have nothing against high-pitched vocals but please no), and some rap (it’s really hit or miss with rap, if you want to sub a lot of rap you can look at my old walruses or ask me for more detail)
Things I usually like a lot that aren’t genres: Anything that makes me groove or headbang, songs with lots of synth, songs with lots of cowbell, cool sampling, songs with lots of horns, extremely cheesy music
Things I usually hate that aren't genres: Boring music. I can listen to a song for 10 minutes or more no problem if it's engaging me or has a cool atmosphere, and do so with a lot of metal and trance or whatever, but if the song bores me then my patience is gonna run out really quick. This seems to pop up most often on the bad side of indie music and droning metal or generic electronic music that wants to go for that super long song length common in the genre without actually having anything to validate such a length. TDLR; boring is bad, long and boring is double bad

Anything not listed I don’t think I have a bias for or against but feel free to ask if you want!
I’d be lying if I said genres didn’t influence scoring at all, ratings are based off of my musical tastes, but it’s not the end of the world if you send genres I’m not into. There’s plenty of songs in genres I like that I don’t like and plenty of songs in genres I don’t usually like that I love. You can focus on genres but otherwise just avoid stuff I hate and you’ll be fine.

Submission Guidelines
1: Submissions can be sent to me via MafiaUniverse, Smogon, or discord (BLOODY#1832).
2: I want submissions for every category before the walrus starts but you’re free to change them until I finish revealing the category before the song(s) you’re changing.
3: Please send me Youtube links where possible, although I’ll also accept Soundcloud or Bandcamp links.
4: The deadline for submissions is before November 6th, 2020.

Misc.
Alt subs, hydra subs, and general weirdness is allowed.
Almost all of the songs I show as examples I like and fit the category fairly well. The songs for the category titles may or may not fit the category, I just think the titles fit.
You can sub touhou music (doujin or original) but there is an extremely high chance I’ve heard it before and may have over-listened to it already. I’m not banning it because I like it but if you want to sub it try to go for obscure stuff.
Feel free to yell “ROBBED” and such but scores are kind of arbitrary since it’s all based on how much I enjoyed songs while rating them. As such scores are non-negotiable. It’s for fun, doing well is just a side goal, the scores will reflect my tastes, you get the program. I’ll try my best to grade well though.
Some people like having a better breakdown of what my rating scale actually means in reference to how much I like it, so here you go. This is completely optional reading.
0.0+: My ears hurt. Please never do this again.
1.0+: Why.
2.0+: I hate your song.
3.0+: I really dislike your song.
4.0+: I actively dislike your song and it may annoy me.
5.0+: I do not actively like or dislike your song. It probably just bores me.
6.0+: Your song is fine. There are probably parts I like about it and parts I dislike about it, but I appreciate having listened to it.
7.0+: Your song is good. I liked listening to it, and depending on where it scored in this range might seek it out if I think of it. Will not actively put it on a playlist or anything though.
8.0+: Your song is great. I will put it on my playlist and may look for more of the artist’s work depending on where it scored in this range. I’d say around a third of the songs subbed hit 8.0 or higher.
9.0+: Your song is amazing. I love it and will definitely be checking the artist out. It will go on my playlist and I will listen to it a lot, at least for a while. In my past walruses 9.0s generally popped up every other category, so roughly 1/30 songs.
10.0: I love you, please curate my music from now on. If anyone actually gets 10.0 I will fantasize about stopping the walrus, declaring them the winner, and disappearing forever with my new favorite song, before ultimately going ‘nah’ and continuing.

Categories
Category 1: Revived
I want songs transformed into other songs. Remixes, re-arranges, mashups, covers, pseudo-remakes by the same band, whatever you can come up with as long as your sub is re-interpreting another song. Ideally your sub should be significantly different than the original- jumps in genre, tone, or meaning are all good ways to do that.
Please send the original song(s) which are most important along with your sub.
Example Songs:
COOL&CREATE - Black Cirno —Revision— (Original: Zun - Cirno's Theme: Beloved Tomboyish Girl)
Attack Attack! - I Kissed A Girl (Original: Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl)
Neil Cicierega - Fly Away (Original: Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away)
Category 2: Very Noise
Some people like quiet songs. We’re gonna hurt their ears. Send me the loudest tracks you have (Preferably ones that are still enjoyable to listen to, I’m sure your favorite harsh noise wall artist will be an amazing catfit but I probably won’t want to listen to it).
Example Songs:
Atari Teenage Riot - Start the Riot
Lolishit - Schoolgirl With Hair Drills
rokutoshichi - stylus has not yet jump
Category 3: The Sound of Silence
I just listened to a bunch of noisy tracks and my ears hurt, please send me some calm, quiet music. No 200 BPM drums, no screaming, just… I dunno, piano or something, you decide. I still want music though, so if you were thinking of sending 4’33, too bad, you’re not allowed.
Example Songs:
Keiichiro Shibuya - Midnight Swan
Evan Call - Never Coming Back
Mili - Meatball Submarine
Category 4: Can You Speak Japanese?
Time to get bilingual! Send me a song with lyrics in two or more languages (real or not) for this category. This is a cat where your song either fits or it doesn’t, but if anybody feels like trying to beat the header in terms of catfit I think you’ll need seven languages. There will be no bonus for doing so besides your own satisfaction and a quick ms paint medal at the end of the walrus.
Example Songs:
KING-SHOW - Happy Ice Cream
Galneryus - Raise My Sword
Carlito - Who's That Boy
Category 5: Karma Chameleon
You know how chameleons camouflage themselves? We’re gonna be doing that. Choose anybody else, me included, and send in a song that you think they would sub to a walrus but haven’t actually subbed to a walrus. Just do your best on that last part- I’m not gonna require you to study all their past subs to see if you accidentally overlapped, I’m taking you on good faith here. Please list who you’re imitating with your sub so that it can be listed with the song. If you can’t find a catfit, either because you’re new to walruses or haven’t been paying attention, uhhhh, just tell me and sub something that’s right down your alley. Imitate yourself, so to speak. Catfit here is going to be the same for everyone because I cannot reliably judge how well you’ve imitated another user who I may or may not be familiar with.
Example Songs:
Girl's Day - Darling [Impersonating shubaka]
Camellia ft. Nanahira - Can I Friend You On Bassbook? Lol [Impersonating nikeas aka catgode]
Little Shop Of Horrors (New Broadway Cast) - Feed Me (Git It!) [Impersonating BrainpanSonata aka KnightsOfCydonia]
Category 6: Motivation is Dead
Last walrus we had a cat about getting off our ass and working. I’m out of fucks to give and am over that now. Let’s be lazy right now. Send me songs about doing fuck all, relaxing, or the sheer laziness and lack of motivation which occasionally possesses every inch of my body. Less doing more stuff, more doing less stuff. You get the drill.
Example Songs:
Nanawo Akari - Complete Resignation Declaration
Akatsuki Records - 酔生夢死 -Hedonism-
Triple-Q - The Pirates Who Don't Ignite Anything
Category 7: We Could Get More Machinegun Psystyle! -And More Genre Switches-
You know how some people like putting songs into specific genres? Nothing wrong with that, it helps categorize things, but let’s mess with their attempts to do that. This category I want songs that give you whiplash and which seem switch style or genre/subgenre midsong. Let’s mess with the genre police.
Example Songs:
maximum the hormone - これからの麺カタコッテリの話をしよう
打首獄門同好会 - I don’t wanna get out of futon
Taishi - Distant Relatives
Category 8: I Just Hate People+
People sure are annoying, right? Right. I want a song without ‘human’ vocals. Send me songs with vocals that are chopped, screwed, autotuned, etc. to all hell. ...Or vocaloids, or vocoders, or even an instrumental if you’re into that. Just no people. I hate people.
Example Songs:
Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger
100 Gecs - 100db Cloud
goreshit - The Nature Of Dying
Category 9: Friday Night
The week has been shit, but now it’s Friday night. Time to let go of my worries and party for a little while. Send me some hype songs to go wild to after barely managing to make it through the week.
Example Songs:
SOUND HOLIC - Psychedelic Demonic Cherry Blossom Alliance
Akatsuki Records - Shout It Out Loud!!
Michael Sembello - Maniac
Category 10: Time
So, apparently there’s this time thing, I don’t really get it. Has something to do with entropy. Help me understand it by sending me songs about time or involving time. Waxing philosophical on the abstract concept of time or stories told over hundreds of years are well and good, but I’m fine with anything related to time in general- y’know, dates, times, our inexorable march towards death- stuff like that.
Example Songs:
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
Rebecca Black - Friday [this is horrible and is included in the example songs so that you can’t make me listen to it again by subbing it]
Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Category 11: Recycling
So, I worked on a couple walruses before I finished this one. One of them I assembled all the categories for before eventually deciding they were too restrictive. But there was one glorious category from it which I must recycle, even though it uses a gimmick that was specifically for that walrus:
Treat the image below as an album cover. Send me a song that you think could be on that album. I’m gonna choose the best songs and make an “album” out of them. Catfit scoring will be somewhat generous.
Example Songs:
These are all examples for both the genre and content.
The Gentle Men - Real To Me
Blind Guardian - Fly
Shiki(TMNS) - The Final Cypher

Sign-ups
[Submissions I've already received are in bold.]

[Submissions I've already received are in bold]
1. nikeas (catgode)
2. Egix96
3. Eagle4
4. shubaka17
5. BrainpanSonata (KnightsOfCydonia)
6. Aladyyn
7. Lectrys
8. termi
9. MyNameIsNothing West
10. LordQuas
11. Shad
12. DaLetterEl
13. MyNameIsNothing East

14. Adam
15. vanity
16. ladd
17. Racebandit
18. Moose
19. soah
20. nutella
21. Marcher Jovian
22. Ampharos

23. Energy
I really doubt I’ll hit the soft player limit given by the length of this list as my last walrus had 15 players but uhhhh, if it looks like I will we’ll talk about it.

Last edited:
In

One request, though, can you please post all entries as links (a la the OP) instead of Youtube videos? Your previous walruses already take long enough to load on desktop computers and laptops and pretty much crash midway through instead of loading completely on mobile.

In

One request, though, can you please post all entries as links (a la the OP) instead of Youtube videos? Your previous walruses already take long enough to load on desktop computers and laptops and pretty much crash midway through instead of loading completely on mobile.
was planning on it, I think I made that switch for the later cats last walrus but never fixed the first ones
they are a laggy hellscape and I should probably fix that when I find the time
edit: nope, they just got spoilered, not fixed, oh boy
Edit 2: Fixed the last walrus, it should load properly now.

Last edited:
There's still around two and a quarter days for people to sub, but I started grading Cat 1 already and have a time for the first reveal.
Unless something comes up or it becomes clear that my time isn't practical for most people, Category 1: Revived will be revealed on Sunday the 8th at 1 PM Central Time. (7 PM GMT)
Live reveals will be in Amy's walrus server, you can find it in the walrus queue pin. Scores should also be posted to MU and Smogon within a day of the live reveals.

Note for anyone who may get confused: The songs are revealed in order of rating with catfit and how familiar I am with the artist used as tiebreakers. The logic behind this is that people probably prefer to listen to the songs from worst to best.

Category 1: Revived

Header:
Death Is Only The Beginning & Revived by UNDEAD CORPORATION
The original song is only the beginning. Time to revive some songs from the dead and turn them into new, Frankenstein’s monster-style monstrosities.
Original Song: ZUN - Yoshika Miyako's Theme - Rigid Paradise

23rd:
Spewcup - Lord of the Pit People
It may be because I was extremely tired when first listening to this, but my brain kind of zoned out completely and listening to this was almost a spiritual experience. Not a good one, but still, uh… definitely an experience. Tentatively 6-something/10 although I appreciate the sheer absurdity on display here.
Edit: yeah, the more I listen to this the more it just becomes a lackadaisical theme for my dystopian fantasies of MC Ride charging me and slaying me in single combat. Novelty value doesn’t last here.
Original Song 1: Death Grips - Lord of the Game
Original Song 2: Patric Catani - Goblinbling
Total: 5.4 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.1 points
Submitted by Moose

22nd:
Cziffra - La Danza
That sure was a lot of piano. It sounded nice enough, it seems very difficult to play and is rather impressive. It’s also rather boring, but I think that’s just me struggling to ‘get’ classical-style music. I’ve honestly never tried listening to it myself before and I’m not sure if anyone has subbed it to me before. Not bad at but I couldn’t get invested at all, sorry.
Original Song: Rossini - La Danza
Total: 5.8 rating + 1.5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.3 points
Submitted by Lectrys

21st:
Weasel Walter - Bohemian Rhapsody
What dissonance, 10/10 experimental noise track. Anyways, uh, this is hilarious. The recorder is really a cherry on top of whatever the fuck this is. I liked this a lot, but not really in a musical sense. Still, uh, it doesn’t hurt my ears and it was definitely interesting if nothing else, so I can’t in good conscience give it a terrible rating.
Original: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Total: 6.2 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.1 points
Submitted by Shad

20th:
Eminem ft. Lil Wayne - No Love
This came in really hard with some great usage of What Is Love and some rapping that was initially hard hitting but then it didn’t really do much with it. If I was rating off of first impressions this would be a point higher. Still, it came in pretty hard, and even if it wasn’t enough to carry it for five minutes it was still enjoyable. The usage of the What is Love vocals as rap lyrics is neat and I’m wondering how I managed to miss that on the first listen. All in all I’m here mainly for the instrumental- sure, it’s kinda repetitive since it’s a rap beat, but it’s What Is Love, how could I not like it?
Original Song: Haddaway - What Is Love
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.6 catfit + .0 familiarity = 8.9 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

19th:
Flamboyant Obsession - Josuke’s Theme (Electro Swing Remix)
I’ve never really managed to get into electro-swing but this is a pretty good song. I enjoy the parts where the electronic elements get more focus and some parts do make me groove a little bit. Unfortunately for some reason I’m not able to get super into it, same as with stuff like Lone Digger and the other electro-swing I’ve heard. I invariably end up shifting the music to the back of my mind and tracks in the genre blend together a lot. Still, good song, and a nice homage to a track I like. (...even if Josuke’s Theme is a little overrated)
Original Song: Yugo Kanno - Josuke’s Theme
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.9 points
Submitted by Egix96

18th:
Siivagunner - Uka Uka - Crash Twinsanity
I feel like I vaguely recognize Supermassive Black Hole from somewhere but I’m not really familiar with either of the source tracks, and as a result my brain just goes ‘yeah, this is a normal unedited Muse track’. Not a problem, just something funny I felt like noting. The song is a little bland but I like the guitar and the parts where the vocals get layered on top of each other.
Original Song 1: Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
Original Song 2: Spiralmouth - Uka Uka
Total: 7.4 rating + 1.6 catfit + .0 familiarity = 9.0 points
Submitted by vanity

17th:
RichaadEB - Jingle Town
I used to watch some of this guy’s stuff, although it has been a long time. Some nice shredding, I enjoyed it. An enjoyable instrumental metal track, although I wouldn’t say there’s much that stands out to me here. Feels a little generic even though I like the guy’s work.
Original Song: Tomohiko Satou, Isao Kasai, and Sayuri Yamamoto - Jingle Town
Total: 7.5 rating + 1.9 catfit + .6 familiarity = 10.0 points
Submitted by LordQuas

16th:
Jonathan Young - Friends on the Other Side
Song is enjoyable all around but the best part is about a minute in where he just goes hard death metal screaming and lyrics become more of a concept than something he’s actually doing. Like, you sent this guy to me last walrus, but man, I didn’t know he could do screamo vox too, I think they were a lot cleaner on that Final Countdown cover. Anyways, if it went that hard the whole time it would probably hit 8, but as is it misses the mark a bit.
Edit: some parts are starting to fall flat, but there a few stand-out sections that really prop this song up and stop me from dropping it a little lower
Original Song: Keith David - Friends on the Other Side
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.9 catfit + .7 familiarity = 10.2 points
Submitted by BrainpanSonata

15th:
MixAndMash - Buttercup
This has a super chill vibe and I really like that. Sounds like it could be off the Animal Crossing OST. Nothing that really makes me go ‘Man, this is awesome’ but it’s a nice, pleasant track that cheers you up a little and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Original Song: Jack Stauber - Buttercup
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.4 points
Submitted by Adam

14th:
Edelweiss - Starship Edelweiss
I don’t know where to start on this, listening to this for the first time was like having some sort of weird, nerdy drug trip. This is extremely cheesy, mostly in a good way, and the track is actually pretty fun to listen to. Some pretty cool sampling of the vocals from the original track, and a really upbeat, active vibe that compliments the ridiculousness of everything well. I’m still not sure what to make out of the Klingon rap verse but, uh, that’s fine I guess. Overall a really good song, and while I’d personally say it overcomes the mediocreness of most ‘novelty’ tracks, I don’t think I’d add it to a playlist. Having listened to this a few times for the reveal, while it’s still fun, some of the thrill has started to wear off. I imagine the problem would be exasperated if I went “yeah, i’d love to hear this constantly for a while”.
Original Song: Alexander Courage - Where No Man Has Gone Before
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.6 points
Submitted by soah

13th:
Agatha Jazz Quarter - Between the Bars
This singer wasn’t completely doing it for me at the start but I feel like in the last couple minutes everything really came together and it went from ‘good enough jazz track’ to something a little better. Sure, now most of my listening experience is waiting for that part, but the bass is strong throughout and the atmosphere is pretty nice on the track. It’s good.
Original: Elliot Smith - Between the Bars
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.6 points
Submitted by ladd

12th
Astrophysics ft. Marina Ros - Komm, Süsser Tod
Same energy.

Original: Arianne & Shiro Sagisu - Komm, Süsser Tod
Total: 7.9 rating + 1.8 catfit + .3 familiarity = 10.0 points
Submitted by shubaka

11th:
YAYAYI - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Is… is this vapor-rap? Really interesting track, a little cursed but enjoyable overall. I can’t see myself listening to this on a regular basis but if I did drugs other than caffeine (my addiction is depressingly real and delivered via surgery beverages) this would definitely be on the table for drug music. I feel like the part where Freddie Gibbs possessed by Satan bows out and just leaves me to the beat are a little better, but both sections have their own appeal.
Original: Freddie Gibbs - Shames
Total: 7.9 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.7 points
Submitted by termi

10th:
Machine Gun Kelly - In These Walls
I’m not really a fan of the dude spending his whole song on relationship troubles (fictional or not, although if not it’s more annoying) and doing it in such a… I guess a cheesy way, but not a good cheese. It makes for a great catfit though, flipping around the original meaning of the song completely. The dude’s flow is great and the beat is solid, as far as rap goes it’s close to top-shelf. Maybe a little too commercial-sounding for me, but that’s kind of a minor gripe, it’s a solid track.
Edit: man, this is an ear-worm, i’m starting to think this is more of an 8.0 than a 7.9. Guess we’ll see whether it ends up there in a few days.
Original Song: PVRIS - My House
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.0 catfit + .8 familiarity = 10.7 points
Submitted by Energy

9th:
Sonic Syndicate - All About Us
I find it funny that the video for the original song opens up with ‘All The Things We Said’ playing, as if to remind you who t.A.T.u. Is. Anyway, uh, onto the song I’m grading. Really high catfit, got some great whiplash between the original and the cover. Some people don’t like metalcore and nu metal and stuff but I’m not one of them, this works for me. Sure, it’s not super inspired, but it’s fun and that’s what matters. The clean vox feel a little lacking but it’s still a pretty good track. Even if the clean vocals are worse than the screaming I’m glad the song has them, I don’t think you can go full-scream here and have it sound right. Solid track, had a fun time jamming to it.
Original: t.A.T.u. - All About Us
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.5 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

8th:
sakuzyo - Strobe Light (lost shadow remix)
So, this remix is by a favorite artist of mine, but I’d never heard it before and was a little surprised stylistically. Turns out it’s about a year older than anything on his soundcloud, predates every single one of his albums, and is one of only three videos left on his dead nico nico account. Wow, that’s a deep cut if I’ve ever seen one. As for the song itself, while it doesn’t go hard like his modern stuff that’s fine too, I can roll with the chill glitch-hop vibe. Really pleasant, kind of catchy, and while it doesn’t pull me in a ton listening actively I would gladly listen to this a lot in the background.
Original: Powapowa-P - Strobe Light
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.4 catfit + .3 familiarity = 10.3 points
Submitted by MyNameIsNothing East

7th:
Cold Weather Company - Unchained Melody
Wow, this is a really big change in tone from the original. From some nice happy oldie to… something much more haunting. I really like the atmosphere on this track and gotta give the singer props, he really manages to draw me in to the song. In summary: A T M O S P H E R E out of 10.
Original: Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.8 catfit + .7 familiarity = 11.1 points
Submitted by nutella

6th:
flume - Is It Cold In The Water (flume & eprom remix)
The build on this is really cool and while I’d say I prefer it post-drop the song probably wouldn’t be as good if it didn’t have the builds. Great track, big fan of the glitchy elements, and I honestly wouldn’t mind if it ran significantly longer because it builds up a relaxing atmosphere while still being interesting.
Original: SOPHIE - Is It Cold In The Water
Total: 8.2 rating + 1.5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.2 points
Submitted by Eagle4

5th:
Vulfpeck - It Gets Funkier IV
It got funkier. Have heard the original before, haven’t heard this version. Big fan of Louis Cole so it’s cool to see them collab with Vulfpeck. I embrace the slap keyboard and the high-speed jams, this track is super fun and nice to groove to. ...And it’s also our only pathway to Vulfpeck eventually making a 200 BPM Speedfunk song through the undying need to get funkier, but let’s not get our hopes up.
Original Song: Vulfpeck - It Gets Funkier
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.5 catfit + .3 familiarity = 10.6 points
Submitted by Ampharos

4th:
Par Airlines - DUEL! Phase 2: Episode Two - Exponential Culmination ~ Battle Within The Wasteland
Is this part of a whole KFAD-style mashup tournament? Sick, I’m gonna have to go through this soon™, I love Soundclown stuff. Mega-mashups aren’t exactly what I intended for the cat but it definitely fits, we have quite a few sources taken far from their natural habitats. Besides the inherent respect I have to give the artist(s?) for sampling IOSYS’s metal stuff and not just meme tracks, this is just straight up a banger. Enjoyed the track a lot and will like it on Soundcloud although I don’t use it all that often.
Original Songs:

Total: 8.3 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.5 points
Submitted by Marcher Jovian

3rd:
Saturday Morning Slow Jams - DuckTales Theme Song
If I had a ‘music to duck to’ playlist this would be on it. This is a super solid track all around and is smooth as all hell. It’s hard to pick out a favorite part when the bass, synth, and the singers are all pretty sick.
TDLR; groovy as duck
Original: Mark Mueller - DuckTales Theme Song
Total: 8.4 rating + 1.9 catfit + .9 familiarity = 11.7 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

2nd:
The Go! Team - Apollo Throwdown (Starslinger Remix)
I’m digging the vibe on this track, it would make great chill club music. The main beat loop pulls me in and the usage of the little vocal samples works really well with it. Very well made track. Not much else to say, but while we’re here can someone help me figure out whether this is house or trance? I’m, like, 80% sure it’s house but I can’t tell the difference between the two sometimes.
Post-reveal Edit: I saw house, trance, alt dance, hip-hop house, house adjacent, house-trance, etc. all thrown around in response to my question. I've concluded that the answer is that there is no answer.
Original Song: The Go! Team - Apollo Throwdown
Total: 8.5 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.8 points
Submitted by MyNameIsNothing West

1st:
odaxelagnia - Patchoulibreak
I’ve actually heard some of this group’s stuff since you subbed them to Brainpan’s walrus, but not nearly enough apparently. 2hu-breakcore is definitely my kind of thing, but I feel like chiptune breakdown followed by the slower section near the end really adds to the track. Sure, there’s something to be said for never-ending party hard breakbeats, but this isn’t the kind of track that deserves it and the variation really helps it. Fun jam, thanks for the sub.
Edit: there is a super chill chiptune PonPonPon mashup on this album, I really do need to listen through more of their discography. Shame they’re on hiatus.
Original Song: ZUN - Patchouli Knowledge’s Theme - Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room
Total: 8.6 rating + 1.9 catfit + .4 familiarity = 11.4 points
Submitted by nikeas

Closer:
pocotan - Desperare de magica
Original Song: Kalafina - Magia

Category 2: Very Noise

Header:
igorrr - Very Noise
This is either going to be the highest scoring category I’ve ever had or the lowest scoring category. Let’s find out.
Also, obligatory volume warning.
You guys only get this one.

23rd:
Orchid - Le Désordre, C'est Moi
Not gonna lie, I just assumed those strings were going to build up for the whole song first listen. Anyways, I guess this is a ‘not-so-harsh-but-still-rather-harsh noise wall’. Neat. Doesn’t hurt my ears at least, instead it just serves as an extremely angry white noise machine.

Total: 5.0 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.0 points
Submitted by Shad

22nd:
A Perfect Circle - Judith
This isn’t all that loud, especially not for a metal track, but oh well. The track itself is kind of generic in its particular niche but it’s not bad. Vocalist is pretty good, guitar varies, I like it even if it doesn’t stand out much in my mind.
Edit: The generic-ness is really wearing me down on relistens, I don’t feel comfortable placing this in the 7s.
Total: 6.9 rating + 1.1 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.0 points
Submitted by Adam

21st:
Made Out Of Babies - Silverback
AAAAAAAAH. This song has a very punk vibe to it, even if that’s not exactly the sound. I appreciate that whole punkish vibe to it and the AAAAAAHs mixing with the angry, somewhat chaotic backing, but I find myself unable to really get into it.
Total: 7.1 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.9 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

20th:
Falling In Reverse - "Popular Monster"
I had another Energy read but no, this is definitely Energy. At certain parts I feel like I start getting into it but that feeling never really lasts. I'm not opposed to the weird combination of rap and rock that turns into metalcore halfway through but all feels too ‘corporate’ sounding to me, as vague as that is. Still enjoyed the track and it had its moments, but it forces me out of them besides a standout section or two.
Also, the video for this is partially required viewing, the dude turning into a CGI werewolf and murdering the swat team is hilarious.
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.4 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.7 points
Submitted by Energy

19th:
No Doubt - Spiderwebs
”What’s that? It’s disgusting.” lmao at the subtitles I caught, cool video. Not sure I feel the catfit but I get the angle at least, ‘loud’ 90s rebellion music, yeah. I had a light Amy on this for a little bit because of the horns but now that I think of it this could be Energy? I feel like Amy would probably have louder, mathier stuff. Anyways, cool song, I’m not really getting into it but I appreciate the skaish part near the start and I wouldn’t mind listening to this in the background at all, it’s pretty catchy and is more my niche than most popular music.
Edit: nevermind, something else is definitely Energy
Edit Edit: ok, ladd definitely makes sense, I should’ve thought of that
Total: 7.4 rating + .8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.2 points
Submitted by ladd

18th:
Horrendous - Soothsayer
This has some solid screaming and, more importantly, some really sick guitar solos. Good track. Unfortunately there’s nothing that’s really drawing me in about this track, as this seems like the style of music that I have the potential to really like, but it’s still good.
Total: 7.4 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.0 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

17th:
GOAT - Diarabi
This, uh, isn’t really a catfit, is it? Like, it’s noisy, not really loud. Pleasant enough I guess, gives off a vaguely-Arabic desert level vibe, except with more angst. That incredibly specific combination is something I can appreciate, but I don’t think there are any great desert levels, just good ones.
Total: 7.5 rating + .5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.0 points
Submitted by nutella

16th:
glick- Hand Smashed By A Mallet
Thank you Moose, very cool. I guess rating this was the answer to whether this will be a high-scoring cat or a low-scoring one.
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.5 catfit + .5 familiarity = 9.6 points
Submitted by Moose

15th:
The Quick Fox - The Big Black
This song was extremely, extremely popular in osu! and I’m kind of surprised to be hearing it again. I’ve heard this song a franky ungodly amount but I don’t think I’m too familiar with the artist itself (although I’ve heard a lot of LapFox’s stuff I think they’re more a label?) Anyways, really fun speedcore track and it brings back some good memories. Nowhere near as fresh as it used to be but I still appreciated listening to it.
Edit: apparently this artist assisted on Tool-assisted Speedcore? That was a good album, I should listen to that again.
Edit Edit: nevermind, the label is all Renard, I am very familiar with this artist
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.7 catfit + .0 familiarity = 9.4 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

14th:
NEGATOR - Der Ruf der See
I’m thinking that this is either soah or Aladyyn. Ruling out Quas because I’m assuming he’d go more… experimental with this cat. Very epic feel to the track, some cool builds and some nice growls. This wasn’t a track I could easily digest in one listen or without fully paying attention, although here I think it’s less a mark of genericness and more a byproduct of how the noise can just overwhelm you and blend together. ...Kind of like every time I listen to freeform jazz. Good track, the weird speech part in the middle was a cool break from things, maybe a little exhausting to listen to if I had to nitpick.
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.4 points
Submitted by soah

13th:
Falchion - Mayhem Machine
All this song really has going for it is a long guitar solo but it is a nice guitar solo. A little repetitive but not in a way that bothers me, that’s standard for instrumental stuff like this. Doesn’t really go as wild as I’d like but this is definitely enjoyable. I feel like this could make a badass BGM for a horse race or something.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.4 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.2 points
Submitted by Lectrys

12th:
Ring - βinαrΨ
I played the first Cytus but not the second. This is making me reconsider that, this seems like a really cool pick for it. Trying to figure out where this fits is odd, it’s full ‘classical + metal + electronic rhythm-game core music’ but for some reason the band is giving me a vibe like they should be wearing full 90s-style visual-kei outfits. I don’t know why my brain keeps insisting that should be the case, but it is. ...Ok, on second thought I do know why my brain thinks that, but as I can’t force the logical successor to the visual-kei genre to inherit the stupid outfits too I’m just going to shut up about it. Anyways, fun power metaly rhythm-game core track, a little too forgettable for me to add to a playlist but I definitely enjoyed it.

Pictured: Visual-kei outfits which are only slightly more ridiculous than modern ones

Total: 7.9 rating + 1.6 caitfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.5 points

11th:
Jan DJ 2 - Barka
CHEEKI BREEKI POLISH RAVE TIME. Also, what’s the meme around this, there’s a lot of one guy’s face edited onto stuff in this video.
Edit: oh my god google sheets corrected CHEEKY BREEKI to CHEEKI BREEKI for me, i’m fucking dying
Total: 8.0 rating + 1.5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.0 points
Submitted by nikeas

10th:
Modest Mouse - Breakthrough
I mean, it’s kind of loud part of the time, sure, but a questionable catfit. Still, I do really dig this song and I didn’t know Modest Mouse could sound like this, I am woefully unfamiliar with them outside of Float On and maybe one or two other songs. Nice guitar, vocals go really well with it, and GRA-AH-AH-AH/10.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.0 catfit + .7 familiarity = 10.3 points

9th:
공원소녀 GWSN - BAZOOKA!
This is very upbeat but I don’t think I’d classify it as loud. Still, uh, I get what you going for by subbing it here so whatever, you get to have this cat’s whiplash sub. The BAZOOKA cheer is catchy and I’m doing the traditional ‘BLOODY listening to dance music in his chair’ dance that I do, so this definitely meets my bar for traditionally good J/K-Pop.
Total: 8.3 rating + .5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.3 points
Submitted by shubaka

8th:
War On Women - Lone Wolves
This is a really frantic track and I like that about it. Cool, kind of drowned-out vox, and guitars with a lot of power behind them. I really like the section near the end where everything seems to come together, the drums matching the guitar matching the vocals all at once. Didn’t grip me immediately but this is great.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.4 points
Submitted by LordQuas

7th:
GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES! - Werewolf Grandma With Knives (Part Two: Don't Die)
This is hectic. Like, it’s not necessarily chaotic, but the almost constant, quiet ‘DUH DUH DUH DUH’ in the background gives everything a sense of urgency, like you’re being chased by... I dunno, a Werewolf Grandma With Knives or something. It’s kind of extreme for the genre but this feels really mathy and it’s cool to see something that feels really out there for its scene. Really fun song and would work great for a chase.
Total: 8.4 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.6 points
Submitted by Ampharos

6th:
A Place To Bury Strangers - In Your Heart
This is screaming DLE or maybe Quas to me. I’ll say DLE, I’ve gotten emo stuff kind of like this from him. Really angsty but I don’t mind it, it’s done in an enjoyable way. Vocals are really fitting but not really the main draw of the track for me, the guitar solo and that sick delayed thing they’re doing with the guitar outside of the solo (guitar, vocals, STRUMMMM) are my favorite things about this track. Even without focusing on that specifically I can sink into this track and just forget about shit, so it breaks 8.0 on that alone. Great emo-y without being too emo music.
Total: 8.5 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.6 points
Submitted by vanity

5th:
Machine Girl - ... Because I'm Young Arrogant and Hate Everything You Stand For
I’ve heard of Machine Girl but I don’t think I’ve actually bothered to listen to any of their stuff. ...Well, I probably haven’t or else I would’ve remembered, this isn’t the kind of music you forget. This really goes strong from 30 seconds onwards and is, for lack of a better term, a banger. The song maintains some semblance of melody while presenting a lot of cool noises and screaming and all that, and the short breakbeat break along with the length help stop it from getting monotonous. Really enjoyable track, might be the kind of thing you could get worn out on but I’m definitely into it right now.
Edit: apparently I did listen to some of machine girl, I talked to nikeas about it
since I didn’t remember I guess it doesn’t count, wouldn’t have thought to listen to the artist again without a push somewhere
Total: 8.7 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.1 points
Submitted by termi

4th:
Neptunian Maximalism - Daiitoku-Myōō no Ōdaiko
Holy shit these horns are awesome. The track itself has a really enthralling, slow build and I can definitely see this as a soundtrack for sinking into hell and being destroyed by some Buddhist god of fuck you or whatever (he was in the track name but I do not fully understand his mechanisms of fuck you besides the whole ‘god of death’ thing). Anyways, amazing horns and a really good build that helps keep the whole thing properly ominous.
Total: 8.8 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.0 points
Submitted by Eagle4

3rd:
Fantasy - Against All Logic
This isn’t super ear bursting loud but that crunchy electronic noise and a couple other parts really burst out and bury themselves in your ears. What a great wall of noise, it’s ridiculously catchy and I want to just sink into it. Gonna have to check this artist out, this is sick. I’m gonna read this as nutella because they mentioned something like this after last reveal and I have no other nutella reads.
Total: 9.0 rating + 1.2 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.2 points
Submitted by MNIN West

2nd:
DAI DAI DAI - KUTIUTUSIUTUKUSIWI
This is really hard for me to describe besides going “It’s fucking awesome”. You got some cool uplifting poppy/electronic stuff, then breakbeats, and I dunno man, it’s… it’s cool, alright? It goes KUTIUTUSUITUKUSIWI and stuff and it makes me happy but also makes my head bang. A lot of stuff stayed kind of static while ranking this category but this was a grower. This started at 8.5 and now we’re here. Here’s a 9, there’s a 9, can I just give everything a 9?
Total: 9.0 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.6 points
Submitted by MNIN East

1st:
the goslings - croatan
Not particularly into drone stuff but this has a great atmosphere about it. The guitar has some real impact and gives the track some sort of melody, and the weird distorted Pink Floyd(?) (these could be completely original but they sound uncannily similar to Pink Floyd to me) vocals combined with the wall of sound behind it add a hard to describe, vague ‘atmosphere’ to the track that feels like what most doom/sludge stuff should be aiming for. This is awesome even though I’m not normally into the genre. This feels like it could be termi or Quas but I already have termi accounted for so I’ll guess Quas.
Autplay fucking hates me though, IT CAN’T MAKE ME LISTEN TO THAT BAND AGAIN.

Total: 9.2 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.9 points
Submitted by Egix

Closer:
DJKurara - Pop Teen Mashcore Paradise
So I’ve got some good news and some bad news.
The good news is that I finally found a way to enjoy Katy Perry
The bad news is that the rest of you will stop enjoying Katy Perry.
Oh, and as for the cat itself, I’m really happy with how things turned out. I think this is the first time I’ve been tempted to pause the walrus for a few weeks and binge albums after a category. On an unrelated note the next reveal may be pushed back from a few days to a week so that I can take care of real-life bullshit and spend hours and hours working on my Christmas cards..

Category 3: The Sound Of Silence

Header:

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence

Emergency Bonus Header:
Value Select - white man acoustic guitar
This is needed listening prior to this cat and will save a lot of writeup space. I wish I had thought to mention this in more depth than ‘boring music bad’ and ‘bad indie often boring’. To see my opinions in more detail, see: Todd in the Shadow’s entire video on The Lazy Song, he has some similar feelings on the matter although they’re much stronger than mine.
also worth mentioning:
quirky white girl with ukulele
extra quirky white guy with ukulele (i’m looking at you Train, Hey Soul Sister is bad)

23rd:
Aine O'Dweyer - Falcon/Egress/Coiled eyes
14 minutes long, weird cover, weird title, termi read (or maybe Aladyyn?). Actually listening to the song, uh, it’s ok I guess? Too minimalist for me really, and the vocals kicking in and trying to make things more interesting doesn’t really help when we’re however many minutes into soothing harp. It is really quiet though, I will give you that.
Total: 5.1 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 7.8 points
Submitted by termi

22nd:
SirActionSlacks - Dota Road
I played Dota 2 for a week or three in high school. I was really bad at it. Same as most games. (except card games, we can fuckin’ go at card games) Vocals just a weeeeee bit too distracting for the track to be calming.
Edit: when the fuck did I log 73 hours
Edit 2: oh, wait, that’s almost all autochess, nvm. I was ok at autochess.
Total: 5.4 rating + 1.2 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 7.6 points
Submitted by Moose

21st:
The Mountain Goats - Pale Green Things
I’m sorry, I know that this type of music is very feelsy and nice for some people but it just doesn’t work for me. Refer to bonus header..
Total: 5.6 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.3 points
Submitted by Adam

20th:
Kasper Marott - Drømmen om Ø (Forever mix '19)
This is one of the ones I opened with a bunch of other songs while grading, hard MNIN read though, I think they’re one of the only ones that sends house/trance to this cat. I think this is too minimalist for me, I guess I don’t mind the length when it’s just background noise but there’s honestly not much of a build at all Kind of boring overall but it sounds nice enough. Catfitwise the animal noises and everything is quiet and calming, although it is 100% in a sleepy way for me and not an inner peace way. Still works, just worth noting.
Total: 5.8 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.5 points
Submitted by MNIN West

19th:
Powfu - death bed (coffee for your head)
I haven’t properly listened to this but I did watch a 15~ minute review of it, so neat to see it again. The sample this revolves around is good and pretty clever since it’s taken out of its original context of someone helping with a hangover and made more existential here. Hits the quiet note pretty well on the down parts, the lyrics make it personally impossible to relax to this as I handle death stuff badly but still a catfit and objectively it’s fairly chill.
Total: 6.0 rating + 1.5 catfit + .8 familiarity = 8.3 points
Submitted by Energy

18th:
Andrew Bird - Tenuousness
The singer and strings are nice enough. Another see bonus header song but it’s not completely generic and does have more than just the guitar. Sounds a little too country for me I guess, but not enough to tank it.
Total: 6.1 rating + 1.5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.6 points
Submitted by Ampharos

17th:
Riskay ft. Aviance & Real - Smell Yo Dick
Interesting lyrics. Mostly unremarkable musically but that dude’s verse is actually pretty good. This lyric might have been my favorite:
“Smell my dick? Wait a minute hold up
See that's how a bitch get'er eye swole' up”
Edit: this cover came on autoplay and ngl the delivery on this is way funnier than the original to me
Edit Edit: i’ve listened to the cover more than the original at this point, it would score a 7.8 or 7.9
Total: 6.5 rating + 1.2 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.7 points
Submitted by Shad

16th:
Kevin MacLeod - Thaxted
Lectrys read on this? Pleasant enough, pretty calming while still sounding rather triumphant which is a neat intersection. Honestly not a fan of the soundfont, it feels… weird to me? Then again, I guess that I’m identifying it as a soundfont immediately says enough on that front, for all I know it could be actual people in a studio playing actual instruments, but I didn’t seriously consider that until I started writing this up.
Total: 6.8 rating + 1.7 cafit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.5 points
Submitted by Lectrys

15th:
Laurel Halo - Leaves
This is experimental as fuck, huh? I like it, although it’s too… weird and alien a sound for me to properly tune out while listening. Overall enjoyable but probably too bare a style for me to get super into.
Total: 7.0 rating + 1.5 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.5 points
Submitted by vanity

14th:
Phynna - Estavius (Piano Version)
Not super my thing but it fits the category well and is overall very pleasant. Nice song, particularly for a flash game OST. (I need to get around to EBF, I think I’ve only played the bullet hell one)
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.0 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

13th:
Laura Stevenson - A Shine To It
The twangy echo-y parts of the guitar on this track are really nice, and while it would normally harm the catfit for this specific kind of thing they stay really light on it, just enough to add some flavor to the instrumental. The part with the multi-layered vocals near the end made me think I had two tracks on at once, and while it startled me at first (and made me unironically consider this might be some sort of peak troll genre switch into experimental-noise) once I knew it was coming it was really nice.
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.2 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

12th:
Aseul - Somewhere
Very ethereal and floaty-sounding. The build here is good and the song doesn’t overstay its welcome, but I feel like this misses the mark somehow and I can’t really get invested beyond that. Like, I could probably like something similar but for some reason this just isn’t doing it for me. Will check out this album eventually.
Edit: these ocean noises are seriously nice, bumping up rating/catfit a little bit
Edit Edit: apparently I just went and labelled both this and the actual shub sub as shub, lmao, only noticed when I tried to put the scores in
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.4 points
Submitted by MNIN East

11th:
Takaya Kuroda - Baka Mitai (Taxi Driver Edition
It’s Baka Mitai. I like Baka Mitai. I’m on my third Yakuza game and played my first one a few years back. I’ve listened to Baka Mitai a lot at this point. I’m not sure what else to say about this.
...anyone want a deepfake of a purposely horrifying sketch of me singing this? I had it before this reveal but I also have it now.
https://files.catbox.moe/uq0w3b.mp4
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.7 catfit + .0 familiarity = 9.4 points

10th:
Yasumasa Kitagawa & Hiromitsu Maeba - Logic and Trick
Very chill, very whimsical. The choice of instruments on this is pretty unique and medieval-ily, which is the main draw of this track to me. This does make me curious about something though- is this from a Phoenix Wright game set in the middle ages? I really hope it is because that sounds unbelievably fun.
Edit: “Taking place near the end of the 19th century and the dawn of the 20th century (known in Japan as the Meiji Period, in Britain as the Victorian era),” ALRIGHT, VICTORIAN ERA ENGLAND, I’LL TAKE IT, HYPE
Edit 2: I was ready to get off my ass and buy this and there’s not even an official English release. Fuck you Capcom, emulator it is, I’m not buying a Japanese copy.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.6 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.4 points
Submitted by nikeas

9th:
Jim Nopédie - Wet-Dry World
This is extremely ominous. I can dig extremely ominous. Not sure what else to say besides that, it’s a really simple, well-done track. Would look into it but the video tags say ‘do not research’ so guess I’ll pass. 2creepypasta4me
Total: 8.0 rating + 1.3 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.8 points
Submitted by LordQuas

8th:
The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored
This is very shoegazey in feel but without all the noise. Still a little loud, but relaxing despite that. Also: 2relatable4me, i wanna be adored cri cri ;~;
Determining whether the previous sentence was tongue-in-cheek satire, deep inner sadness, or both is an exercise left up to the reader.
Total: 8.0 rating + 1.4 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.9 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

7th:
Yerin Baek - Bye bye my blue
Extremely chill vibes and the lyrics don’t immediately give me depressed whiplash. Singer’s voice is soothing, very nice, and the beat is simple but pretty immersive. Great song.
Total: 8.0 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.4 points
Submitted by shubaka

6th:
San Fermin - Summer by the Void
This is great. I really like this dude’s voice and this whole mood is warm, like something that should be playing while I’m sitting next to the fire. While everything really works in this track, the way the horns are used particularly stands out, I don’t see stuff like it in what I listen to much. Also- super nutella read on this, it’s hard to describe why but it feels like something they’d send.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.4 points
Submitted by nutella

5th:
Slowdive - Dagger
Goddamn, this is an… experience. Whenever I listen to this one it just takes me out of things completely. It’s also kind of like shoegaze but with much less weird noise, but this does have the distortion and echo-y stuff I’d expect. Very mind-clearing or freeing or whatever, and I have to give props to the vocals on this, they’re interesting.
Side note, this also fits the bonus header, but I really like it.
Total: 8.2 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.6 points
Submitted by ladd

4th:
KOKOROKO - Abusey Junction
This track is really simplistic but uses what it has to great effect. The guitar is well-done and immersive, and while the horns aren’t strictly required here they help a lot in breaking things up and stand up well on their own. There’s also some vocals here and there, they’re nice. Solid relaxing mood piece out of 10.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.9 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.7 points
Submitted by Eagle

3rd:
Solstafir - Hula
This is actually incredibly relaxing. Builds up an atmosphere really well and you can just kind of drift away with it and… I dunno, contemplate or whatever you do while relaxing, I personally just lie there like a soulless husk for a little bit and then feel better for having done it. Hard to pick out a favorite part about this, everything is really solid. Maybe the vocals? They’re definitely interesting.
Total: 8.4 rating + 1.8 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.7 points
Submitted by soah

2nd:
Oliver Buckland - espial
This track is seriously alien sounding, I love it. The weird mix of electronic and piano and all the distortion, mmmm. Catfitwise quiet is a check, and while this song comes really close to being haunting and I could definitely see it taking a creepy turn, later on it just A S C E N D S and leaves that behind.
Total: 8.5 rating + 1.7 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = points

1st:
Niklas Paschburg - Duvet
This is so calming, wow. Beautiful track, melancholy-sounding but fits my “existentially relax in bed trying to think about nothing and maybe pass out while you’re at it” niche perfectly.
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.1 points
Submitted by Egix

Closer:
Non Non Biyori Repeat OST - Okaeri
I have songs that will probably seem like better catfits to you guys that I could use to close this out but on a subjective level this is the most relaxing song I have and it makes me genuinely happy so we’re listening to it.

Category 4: Can You Speak Japanese?

Header:
Ryujin Kiyoshi - Can You Speak Japanese?
Note to self, skip to 90 seconds in.

23rd:
War - Low Rider
Haven’t heard this in a while. I’m scared.
Total: 6.0 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.0 points
Submitted by Moose

22nd:
Fleet Foxes - Going-to-the-Sun Road
I’m not a big fan of the vocalist and the horns are nice but this doesn’t really resonate with me and mostly just leaves me bored.
Edit: the horns are enough to save it from a horrible fate and the singing grew on me a little
Total: 6.2 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.2 points
Submitted by nutella

21st:
Mori Calliope - Excuse My Rudeness, But Could You Please RIP
This song is really divisive for me. Her vocals (occasionally flow, way more often her actual voice) are occasionally really good but I hate them in some places. This results in a listening experience where I occasionally have fun but just when I’m getting into it I’m jolted back out and would rather not be listening to it. I don’t really hate it but I wouldn’t listen to this on my own time. Full familiarity because while I listen to a ton of the Hololive JP streamers’ music I don’t follow Mori Calliope in particular.
Edit: worth noting is that I do really enjoy some of the bi-lingual puns.
Edit: i’m minding her voice less now on later listens, but still not a big fan
Total: 6.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.3 points
Submitted by MarcherJovian

20th:
Yasuyuki Okamura - Super Girl
I don't know what it is but something feels really weird about this guy’s voice. On an unrelated note, I do have to respect the lack of Engrish though. I don’t personally mind it but hey, if you can pronounce things properly then good for you. Besides the voice the song sounds fine, it’s pretty cheesy but I don’t mind that. The King-of-pop-esque sounds are a nice touch.
Total: 6.5 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.5 points

19th:
Lexie Liu - Manta
Way too corporate/Top 40 sounding for my taste, especially autotune-wise, but it’s not particularly bad. Just not my thing.
Total: 6.6 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 9.6 points
Submitted by Adam

18th:
spk - walking on dead steps
Thumbnail read termi/shad, song read hard termi. Wasn’t into it at first but the beat is pretty groovy and the door they’re slamming in the background or whatever the fuck it is is a good drum. The audio sounds weird for some reason but that’s not a huge deal, still enjoyed it.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.3 points
Submitted by termi

17th:
015B and yours - My Hair Is Green
shub/10. This track feels kinda generic to me but it’s not bad at all. I like the horns and the vocal layering towards the end is pretty cool, shame it didn’t take up more of the song.
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.4 points
Submitted by shubaka

16th:
Marie Davidson & L’Œil Nu - Renegade Breakdown
Aladyyn read. Really artsy sounding but I don’t particularly like or hate it. It does leave me a bit ambivalent towards the talking-vocals, although when they turn into synthy French and ‘LALALALALA’ it’s pretty cool. Backing is eh at parts but generally up at the same areas the vocals do. For me this is inconsistent but good overall.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.5 points
Submitted by MNIN West

16th:
Anonymau5 - Renegade from Vatican
Nice synth and like that the song manages to tell a story even if I don’t get all of it. Little generic imo but that doesn’t matter when the A T M O S P H E R E is telling me that John Paul got kidnapped or became an Alpha Psyker or smth and that I’m the only man bad enough to stop him.
Not as touching as sad russian accordion man but this is imagined lore/10.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.5 points
Submitted by nikeas

14th:
The Dreadnoughts - Sleep Is for the Weak
The strings are really fun on this track and it’s low-key a banger, but I’m not really getting into the “I dig it, I need to listen to this again.” state of mind with it. I enjoyed it though, it has aggressive vocals and a fun instrumental with a party-like atmosphere.
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.6 points
Submitted by Amy

13th:
L'Arc-en-Ciel - Driver’s High
Funnily enough, I love GTO but I’ve never watched the anime. I’ve just read the manga, like, literally five times. ...And some of the side manga, and the original until the scans went to absolute shit. Anyways, the song. L’Arc-en-Ciel are always cool, I don’t listen to them much on my own time but I’ve heard stuff by them and Hyde in anime plenty and READY STEADY GO is a banger. Instrumentals are solid and Hyde is a great vocalist, really distinctive. The short version annoys me because it feels like it’s cutting the song off right when it gets good (hence why I tend to only listen to full OPs outside of the show itself), but it’s still a good song. Would sing along if I remembered more than CRASH INTO THE mumble mumble FLASH mumble mumble DRIVER’S HIGH SAIKOUUU. Makes me want to finally get around to the show, I’ve had it downloaded for ages.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.0 catfit + .6 familiarity = 10.3 points
Submitted by ladd

12th:
Peggy Gou - Starry Night
Hard MNIN read on this, although it could theoretically be shub they send more poppy stuff. Nice beat, makes me groove at points. Vocals go well with it. Nothing that stands out to me here and makes me go “oh, wow” but it’s still a solid track and I enjoyed it.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = points
Submitted by MNIN East

11th:
Cuarteto de Nos - Yendo a la Casa de Damián
This is a cool lyrical gimmick they have going on and it adds a unique cadence to the lyrics that I like. I’m not sure if this fits within my traditional strike zone but this is pretty great. Especially the slightly wilder ‘AAAAAAAAAAAAAH’ parts. Solid guitar too.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.9 points
Submitted by soah

10th:
Foals - The French Open
I feel like the instrumental really carries this track. The vocals I can take or leave, but the instrumental, it compels me. All the instruments combine to create this weird vibe that reminds me of math rock and that makes me bob my head, but that isn’t as complex and guitar-focused as actual math stuff. What I said might just be nice-sounding gibberish because I’m not good at talking music. Me like this music though. :D
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.7 points
Submitted by vanity

9th:
The Chemical Brothers - Eve Of Destruction
This is the weirdest tokusatsu series I’ve ever seen but I am a big fan of the slinky monster. Could’ve sworn I’ve heard this before because I really recognize that synthy “EVE OF DESTRUCTION” thing but I don’t recognize the rest of it. Someone fill me in on if that’s a sample or something, the only other Eve of Destruction I can find is definitely not where it’s from if it is. The song itself is enjoyable, the bass and synth both kick and it’s really just an earworm all around. Really fun track.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.6 points
Submitted by Eagle

8th:
Maimi Tanaka - Miracle Shopping
...Is this city pop? I expected something different from the thumbnail but I am pleasantly surprised. Anyways, uh, I wasn’t aware that Don Quijote (the convenience store) had a theme song, but apparently they do and it’s pretty good. While I’m sure all the employees hate this song by now, as I’ve been informed by some google-fu that it plays constantly in stores, I still like it. It’s just very upbeat and wholesome and catchy.
Total: 8.2 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.7 points
Submitted by Lectrys

7th:
Hyadain - HEAT!!
I’m a big fan of Hyadain’s work on anison stuff, but I’m not as familiar with his less prominent stuff like this or the song I subbed to Brainpan a couple weeks back. This is really fun and a serious earworm. Maybe it’s a little silly but who cares, it’s silly in a good way. Makes me want to dance, good vibes, so on and so forth/10.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + .3 familiarity = 11.1 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

6th:
Rocket Punch - Bouncy
Thank you k-pop gang, very cool. In terms of catchiness it’s not quite a BAZOOKA but it is extremely fun. Besides the fun factor the build with the claps in the background and the random electronic breakdown are worth noting, as those were some of my favorite parts.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.8 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

5th:
Sigur Rós - Sæglópur
Some Sigur Rós tracks veer into full boredom territory for me, but this isn’t one of them. The first few minutes let you soak up the atmosphere and get used to the track and then it just explodes into the most peaceful cacophony you’ve ever heard. A very wholesome and peaceful track that is simultaneously epic in sound.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.0 catfit + .3 familiarity = 11.2 points
Submitted by DLE

4th:
Roxy Music - A Song For Europe
This sounds laddy, I’m gonna ladd-read this. I was gonna start pointing out stuff about this track that I liked but it’s honestly all very solid. The horns and vocals are the first to come to mind but the build is really cool and the piano is nice and blargh blargh blargh it’s all great. I guess the common theme here about what I like is emotion. It feels like the dude is pouring his heart out and the horns and piano are going all out and so on and so forth. Really easy to get drawn in when it’s emotionally aggressive like that.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.9 points
Submitted by Egix

3rd:
Linked Horizon - Guren no Yumiya
Hey, it’s the first Attack on Titan OP. The full version too! Not a ton to say about it, it’s still a banger after all these years, I’ve heard it a lot but it’s not really overlistened for me because its been a relatively long time since the show aired (has to been 5 or 6 years since I watched it). Anyways epic chanting, roaring guitar, JAEGARRRRRR/10.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.0 catfit + .2 familiarity = 11.2 points
Submitted by Energy

2nd:
Otoboke Beaver - Love Is Short
I just watched a bunch of fashionably-dressed Japanese women beat up demons and hunt down Dracula while punk/noise rock played. That was an experience. The song itself is fun and pretty hype, I enjoyed the chaos. Quas/shad read, but quas more than shad. Quick note that I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of this group before and might have listened to them but the memories are so vague that I can’t really confirm it. No change to familiarity score because of it but I will continue trying to figure out why it is. My money is on autoplay or weird DJ choices. Or maybe a band with a similar name that isn’t this one.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.2 points
Submitted by LordQuas

1st:
Polysics - Good
...is that you Shad? Or maybe Quas? This is wild but I dig it. I would like to go on some enlightening rant here and talk about music theory like other walrus hosts might, but, uh, I can’t do that. All I can really say is oooooh chaotic noises ooooh they sound good instead of hurt my ears me likey me likey!
Total: 8.8 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.3 points
Submitted by Shad

Closer:
Monkey Majik and Taiiku Okazaki - You Gotta Stay (Ryuugakusei)
Second note to self: skip to 64 seconds in.
I love the gimmick on this song where it’s a love song in English and about a foreign exchange student in Japanese, fuckin’ clever. Also, it has big funk energy.

Final Language Count:
English/Japanese: 6
Korean/English: 3
English/French: 3
English/Spanish: 2
Japanese/Spanish: 1
Japanese/German: 1
English/German: 1
English/Latin/French: 1
English/Chinese: 1
English/Polish: 1
English/Portuguese: 1
English/Chinese/Japanese/probably Polish/some other language I think, there are no official lyrics: 1
Icelandic/Hopelandic: 1

Category 5: Karma Chameleon
Header:
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
KARMA KARMA KARMA KARMA KARMA CHAMELEONNN

22nd:
Aminé - Woodlawn
Evanmanman cuz rap gang? Or Quas? Or maybe gbs, there is some teen energy. Anyways, not sure. What I do get is that I am not terribly invested in this and that the more I hear this flute the more I want to die.
Edit: when i’m not paying any attention to this (like literally forgot I was supposed to be grading) it’s like a 7 but when I attempt to actually pay ANY attention to it it immediately falls to low-mid 3s, what the actual fuck it my brain doing here, I have no idea what to do
Edit Edit: I can’t finish listening to this during grading, I know what to do
Total: 3.9 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 6.9 points
Impersonating gbsfranca
Submitted by LordQuas

21st:
Group X - Jonny Poopoopants
I’m sorry, what the fuck?
Total: 4.5 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 7.5 points
Impersonating Moose
Submitted by Shad

20th:
Oval - Crossing Selling
Lock M7 read. Probably too much of an M7 read for its own good. This is basically white noise to me, it is pleasant but just kind of fell flat.
Total: 5.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 8.3 points
Impersonating Mplus7
Submitted by MNIN West

19th:
Iron and Wine - The Trapeze Swinger
This is probably a Zack impersonation? Maybe Adam or nutella if not? I’ve tried to make a writeup on this several times but listened to it and just kind of zoned out. It’s really hard to pay attention to. It’s nice enough, guess it’s just not my sort of thing and it extremely background-music-y.
Edit: the voice is growing on me, this is pretty soothing. Still not super my thing though.
Total: 6.4 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 artist = 9.4 points
Impersonating Zack
Submitted by ladd

18th:
Bad Suns - Daft Pretty Boys
Sounds super corporate top-40 but doesn’t grate me as much as usual. Vocals are generic but alright and the guitar licks are actually pretty nice.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.3 points
Impersonating Energy
Submitted by shubaka

17th:
Cole Hood - Will your mouth still remember the taste of my… toes?
Ampharos DID sub this, but, uh, well, it’s a moose sub, I’ll let it go. Shad robbed this, it is not a 1.

balance has been restored to the walrus ecosystem once more
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.0 catfit + .4 familiarity = 9.8 points
Impersonating Ampharos
Submitted by Moose

16th:
Alan Menken - Go The Distance
I’m not really a musical number guy. Still, this guy’s voice isn’t offensive or anything, and the strings are actually really pleasant! I think this one track has won me over more than the entire rest of the genre has, and that’s an achievement in itself.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 10.7 points
Impersonating UncleSam
Submitted by Lectrys

15th:
DEAMN - Save Me
I’m not sure on this one, probably trying to impersonate Egix? It’s not super wub wub so this is a really loose read for me but this type of EDM is dubstep adjacent at least. A little too generic EDM for my taste but this track is super catchy. Not super inclined to playlist it but it’s still really solid and I can groove to it a little. Kinda inconsistent though. At worst I don’t mind it all, and at its best it gets all vocal mixy and fun.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 artist = 10.8 points
Impersonating iaafr
Submitted by Adam

13th:
Bowery Electric - Floating World
I really dig the atmosphere on this. Dark city streets, presumably some illicit activity going down, t e n s i o n. Has some neat changes to it too, what with the operatic noises that pop in for a while and the occasional record scratch. Don’t think I’d normally listen to this but I enjoy it and would definitely use as tabletop music where applicable.
Impersonating Isa
Submitted by termi

13th:
This Town Needs Gun - 26 Is Dancier Than 4
Ampharos impersonation maybe? Or Zack? Voice is alright although it’s not really in my wheelhouse, the whole vibe is very math adjacent, maybe I’m being done and this is just pure math rock. Not something I’m super attached to but this is a fun track to listen to, what with the time signatures jumping around and those sweet guitar licks
Impersonating Ampharos
Submitted by nutella

12th:
CYTOKINE - Drive The Night Crazy
...I’d guess this was an impersonation of me if I didn’t remember that it was nikeas. Pretty apt in both cases I guess, although it personally feels more like my thing. Like, look at this, I didn’t even need to scroll through my playlist:

Songwise, a little aimless and I wish it went somewhere, but I suppose it’s ok as a trance style kind of draggy track too. The length hurts it though.
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.5 points
Impersonating ctgd/nikeas
Submitted by RaceBandit

10th:
Unwound - Below the Salt
Kinda drags on but it works better here than in other tracks, because this is more of a mood piece of anything. This is rather sludgey, and doomy and I liked the mood it evoked but listening to it for 10 minutes might be a bit much when it doesn’t change too much. Would appreciate more as part of an OST but as a standalone track it’s hard to place it super highly.
Impersonating termi
Submitted by DaLetterEl

10th:
Darkside - Freak, Go Home
Maybe this is a termi impersonation? I think this closes up what I’m now mentally referring to as the ‘dark ambient mood piece trio’ for this cat. This does have a lot of change and probably also falls into sludge territory, but I do really like it.
Impersonating Eagle
Submitted by Eagle

9th:
Vincent Diamante - The Dreams We Left Behind
This is Amy I think? Or maybe Marcher. Lots of sax and oh boy is it smooth. It’s also extremely epic in feel, super fitting for some sort of somber final battle to the death that MUST be done, no matter the cost. Lots of imagined song lore coming from the atmosphere on this, really. This is a good track to jam to.
Also, for some reason this sounds like Christmas music to me. I dunno why, maybe it’s the instrument set..
Total: 8.2 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.7 points
Impersonating Ampharos
Submitted by vanity

8th:
XOTH - Mountain Machines
I’m gonna guess that this is a Quas impersonation since he subbed another XOTH song to me a walrus or two back. Wasn’t a huge fan of that one but this is more my speed! Some solid shredding, maniac drums, and most importantly I’m liking the vocalist on this song a lot better than… Invasion of the Tentacube or whatever it was I graded before? Good voice. Weird how it kind of just petered out at the end though, I expected a climax.
Final note: Big Undead Corporation vibes and I love Undead Corporation, although I personally don’t like this as much as most of their stuff.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + .7 familiarity = 11.5 points
Impersonating LordQuas
Submitted by soah

7th:
Alphataurus - La mente vola
Ladd impersonation read because this is literally the most ladd sub I can think of, it’s old Italian prog. I enjoyed this, it was a fun journey. Can’t really articulate much to say because I’m finishing the writeup really late but this some good, kind of nostalgic prog.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 11.8 points
Impersonating ladd
Submitted by Egix

6th:
Everything Everything - To The Blade
I’m going to assume this is supposed to be Zack because this album cover is his avatar. This track is really good. It enthralls me and makes me feel like I’m just going on some chill journey, it earns its length.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = points
Impersonating Zack
Submitted by Ampharos

5th:
Thank You Scientist - Mr. Invisible
Lock Amy impersonation, m a t h a n d h o r n s. I feel like I’d normally hate this vocalist because he sounds too sanitary but man can he belt it out. And when he does all the trig and calculus rock gets unleashed from its forbidden sepulchre and the guitar goes all BRBRBRBRBR. Also, the sax solo, goddamn the sax solo, that was sick. Music to cram for diff eq. to/10.``
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 artist = points
Impersonating Ampharos
Submitted by MarcherJovian

4th:
jan Misali - Overture
If I didn’t already know this was a Moose impersonation subbed my nikeas I’d also read it as a Marcher, nikeas, or me impersonation cuz mashups. This is extremely jank in certain places but fun nonetheless. Also, the NicoNico Medley being used the background is super nostalgia for me and I’m already used to it being chaos so there is absolutely no whiplash in seeing a bunch of shit layered over it. Not amazing but thoroughly enjoyable
Edit: I care less about any jank and just enjoy it the more I listen to it. It grows on me like a tumor.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 artist = 12.1 points
Impersonating Moose
Submitted by nikeas

3rd:
Fates Warning - From The Rooftops
I really want to change the artist name to “Fate’s Warning” but they have it stylized as Fates Warning on all their uploads. I guess I’ll interpret it as a warning from multiple fates and warning as a verb, so, like, instead of a fate’s warning you get fates warning you. ...Anyways, the song. I thought it would be country and I was glad to be proven wrong- this has some country vibes but this is a weird mix of metal, post-rock and maybe prog that I’m digging. I LOVE the mathy-as-fuck percussion about 5 minutes in, it’s like some dude is slapping a spoon against a pot and just going HAM with it.
Total: 8.8 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 12.2 points
Impersonating Texas Cloverleaf
Submitted by Aladyyn

2nd:
Car Radio - twenty one pilots
...It’s popular, Energy I guess? Could technically be Brainpan too, it kind of reminds me of Watsky. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to, it has a really cool build from almost nothing to DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH, it’s all electronicy, and while the vocals aren’t super my thing the “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH” is great. Oh, and then he starts screaming. The screaming is great.
Edit: this was already scored highly but then it started growing on me more, especially when I knew what was coming up, I’m a big fan of this song in particular.
Edit Edit: the experience of weird vocals that slowly grow on me with quiet audio, then quiet wubs, to literal screaming, and then back to quiet is probably enough to clinch a 9 here, it’s just such a nice self-contained cycle
Total: 9.0 rating + 2.0 catfit + .4 familiarity = 12.4 points
Impersonating Energy
Submitted by Brainpan

1st:
STACY - So Bad
Hi shub. Hi MNIN. (Hi Aladyyn). Holy shit is this a banger. The beat is wild, super danceable, and these vocals hit in just the right way. Goddamn. This forces me to dance. Like, not just seat dance, actual dance. First song I can recall that does that is Loser by Yonezu, and that song is amazing, like a 9.4 or 9.5 for me.
EDIT: NE MORI MORI, NE MORI SUKI, NA NA NANANANANA
Total: 9.3 rating + 2.0 catfit + 1.0 familiarity = 13.3 points
Impersonating shubaka
Submitted by MNIN East

Closer:
Katagiri - Yuuguru Meme Diary
No one impersonated me so I’m just going to impersonate myself.

Total Impersonations:
Ampharos: 4
Zack: 2
Moose: 2
Energy: 2
gbsfranca: 1
UncleSam: 1
Iaafr: 1
nikeas: 1
termi: 1
Isa: 1
Eagle: 1
LordQuas: 1
ladd: 1
Texas Cloverleaf: 1
shubaka: 1
M-Plus7: 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)