BnE Stall

-INTRO-
At the onset of the suspect test this time around in UU one thing became VERY clear: stall teams were hurting for a way to beat gallade & to a lesser extent honchkrow among other threats. I experimented with tons of spreads and pokes and weather teams to try to find a stall that could consistantly check even the most common threats in the meta (which is actually an accomplishment). Considering the team has undergone tons of revamps it has eventually come to a point where it is fairly streamlined and is consistently doing its job.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like most stall teams this team lays hazards, yes. But as much if not more emphasis is placed upon statusing my opponents and shutting down physical sweepers with burn/ toxic and alternating intimidates while using chansey as my only real special wall in a meta where she is really the only one needed. Hitmontop proudly takes his spot back as the best spinner in uu and is used alongside arcanine, omastar, and tangrowth to make a defense that can be terrible to deal with. This stall team shines because of its ability to create safe switches all thanks to a truly amazing ability.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritomb @ (Leftovers)
Impish; 252 Hp/ 84 Def./ 172 Sp. Def.
Rest
Will- o- Wisp
Shadow Sneak
Pursuit
-Spiritomb?-
A better question would be "why not Spiritomb?" In this meta she works so well to check so many top threats that this spot was the easiest for me to fill. Her ability to check alakazam, espeon, mismagius, gallade, etc. is such a vital tool in making this team successful and she and arcanine are easily the reason this team has accomplished its job so well this testing period. Almost no one is running double ghost beyond teams with froslass and she hardly counts, so using spiritomb as my only spin blocker doesn't normally create an issue with giving away any free spins.
-Moves-
This set is standard now... or at least I believe it is the standard. In this meta, pokemon that are incredibly dangerous are checked by this pokemon because of its moveset. Pursuit + Shadow Sneak make a nice pair together to help eliminate the threats she needs to counter in spite of their meager base power even after including STAB. Shadow Sneak is perhaps the most interesting move choice, but that is because sucker punch is easily played around and since this pokemon is so crucial to the team, I really cannot afford losing it early due to a misplay.
-Ev's-
These ev's are my own invention and are probably the best you can run in this meta. The special defense is the bare minimum to never be 2hko'd by alakazam's +1 Signal Beam, + 2 Shadow Ball from mismagius (or two shadow balls with no boost), espeon's spec's Shadow Ball is also not a 2hko against this tomb (All of these account for SR damage). The rest I put into defense and gave it a defensive nature, which actually gives me an extra point of defense I would not have if I went with a Careful nature and ev'd similarly. No Atk. ev's are really not an issue when it comes to countering things that spiritomb needs to beat, so I didn't bother.
-Lead Crap-
Here is a list of some common leads that I have come across and how I handle each.

Ambipom- This lead is simple. Pursuit it until it switches, it can really only taunt, paryback/ pursuit, or u turn in response except for the rare NP versions

Alakazam- Shadow Sneak -> Pursuit will ko unless they invest in def/ hp regardless of reflect

Uxie- I love to WoW... It just depends though because lately it leads to a flash fire boost I didn't want to give. Usually, however, I just pursuit until it finishes doing whatever and switches. Mespirit gets a similar treatment.

Spiritomb- a rare lead actually. I just go to omastar and begin laying free hazards

Froslass- Pursuit twice and then shadow sneak for the ko. Sometimes I can 2hko, but it is rare. I then go to my spin and attempt a spin quickly.

Arcanine- Not common... I usually go to omastar and set hazards.

Nidoroyals- Burn em'... go from there.

Instant weathers- Burn em'... go to omastar to set hazards.

Omastar @ (Leftovers)
Ability: Shell Armor
Bold; 252 Hp/ 240 Def./ 16 Spe.
Rest
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Surf
-Omastar?-
This pokemon has become arguably the best spikes user in UU. It was between her and cloyster for a spot on the team, and for a long time I had actually been using cloyster as my hazard layer. However, omastars' secondary rock typing proved too useful in walling the likes of swellow and eventually I decided to add her to the team again. I cant complain at all about her perfomance. She has proved the most consistent spiker I have ever used in any tier.
-Moves-
This set is fairly straightforward. I wanted both forms of entry hazards and a STAB move for general purpose damage dealing should I need to attack. I put rest in the last spot because I wanted to be able to firmly wall things like swellow without having to worry about wish support and I get the added bonus of gaining multiple opportunities to lay hazards in the same match. Toxic spikes is a mixed bag, but one I wont be changing. If a team HAS a poison type I can, to an extent, control the opponents switches with just one layer. If my opponent doesn't have a poison type, which is actually far more common than one would think, then toxic spikes often proves more valuable than regular spikes. Also, toxic spikes has the amazing ability to shut down opposing balance and stall teams not using a poison type which can save some time and even prove invaluable in stall wars. Just about any venusaur build is pretty easy to beat with this team, and toxicroak is possibly the second most common poison type which has a hard time getting past arcanine. At the very least, toxic spikes doesn't hurt my team and when it is helpful, it is often the most valuable move in the set.
-EV'S-
The ev spread doesn't really need much mention. 16 spe is there to outrun speed creep rhyperior that would otherwise be threatening to omastar.

Hitmontop @ (Leftovers)
Ability: Intimidate
Impish; 252 Hp/ 200 Def./ 56 Sp. Def;
Rest
Foresight
Rapid Spin
Close Combat

-Hitmontop?-
Let me start by saying that top is every bit as good now as he used to be as a spinner. The main reason he lost effectiveness was due to the presence of double ghost stall and that, thank God, doesn't really exist anymore. Hitmontop was chosen because it is the most helpful spinner in dealing with other stall teams' spin blocker (it basically has to be spiritomb) and at the same time his ability is actually much better in this metagame than it used to be. Because UU has become so physically oriented, intimidate has become one of the best abilities you can have and thanks to hitmontop's decent natural bulk he can be a total nightmare for my opponents sweepers to dent effectively.

-Moves-
This set is pretty synonymous with hitmontop on a stall team. Nothing new here to talk about.

-EV'S-
I ran this spread just because it is what I used to run. The 56 ev's could probably be moved to def. now that missy commonly runs nasty plot, but these ev's let me spin in the face of special tanks like milotic with a bit more comfort. I'll probably keep them in sp. def. unless someone can show me a calc that will change my mind.

Tangrowth @ (Leftovers)
Ability: Chlorophyll
Impish; 252 Hp/ 236 Def./ 20 Spe.
Stun Spore
Synthesis
Rock Slide
Seed Bomb
-Tangrowth?-
Tangrowth has proven to be an amazing wall in the past, and she continues to do her job marvelously in the new uu. I'll admit, due to the presence of fire types, rhyperiors with meahorn, and honchkrows, etc. tangrowth can seem like a questionable choice, but not for this team. The only physical water that can beat her after an intimidate is feraligatr (and that thing is a nightmare anyway). It should be mentioned this acts as a last ditch check to Lum berry gallade should arcanine and/ or spiritomb fail to take care of it (if it's adamant + LO and they are both ko'd, well then stall can only go so far right :P).
-Moves?-
Tangrowth actually has a beautiful supportive movepool while at the same time not being offensively inept. Synthesis I dont need to explain. Seed bomb is in this spot over power whip simply for consistency sake. Stun spore grabbed me because it is so useful to hit incoming fliers named honchkrow and moltress who are not going to be affected by toxic spikes. Rock slide is an extra measure against the two birds who so often believe that tangrowth is a free switch in. I have ko'd more moltress with tangrowth on the switch than I have by walling them with chansey (which is nice because chansey doesn't carry toxic)...
-EV'S-
Max/ Max is the basic spread I wanted to go for. However, I always give 20 spe. to my base 50's to ensure I out speed things that like to blow up or sub or whatever. Not much to explain here, simple and effective.

Arcanine @ (ShedShell)
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly ; 252 Hp/ 120 Def./ 136 Spe.
Morning Sun
WoW
Roar
Flare Blitz
-Arcanine?-
This arcanine makes stall possible and is the real reason for the teams success. She alongside spiritomb was the reason this team was able to hold the #1 spot in a meta that claimed stall wasn't possible. Say hello to the next best answer to gallade in the tier after spiritomb and the single best check to honchkrow at the same time. She actually walls an impressive portion of uu with these ev's and moveset. Arcanine is the second intimidate I have on the team helping to further frustrate physical attackers while at the same time she is faster than any + spe base 80 pokemon which actually includes several of uu's top physical threats. While her typing isn't exactly stellar for defense, it is fine for the threats that she needs to check and I feel like she has earned her spot on the team more than any other member. Arcanine serves as the check to almost any blaziken, honchkrow, physical venusaur, gallade, leafeon, scyther, other arcanine, etc. I run shed shell as the item simply because banded duggy means I lose my arcanine which can easily mean gg for me.
-Moves-
This set is what I am currently using. It may seem like I'm making the team overloaded with status, when really I'm not. Stun Spore and WoW are almost exclusively for fliers that need crippled and I almost never use WoW on spiritomb anyway. Roar allows arcanine to serve as my teams phazer, though she is not the best at doing this job, she is adequate for this team since alternating intimidates can usually be enough to cripple opposing sweepers. Flare blitz still hits like a truck with no investment and is her best offensive option allowing for a swift end to many potent threats.
-EV'S-
This spread , coupled with her ability, is what makes arcanine such an effective check on a good portion of the metagame. These ev's make her faster than any + spe. base 80 pokemon and below allowing for a fast -3 attack if I need it thanks to intimidate + WoW. This means that almost any physical attack thrown at her will result in laughable damage as long as shes can out speed for the burn, and at the point arcanine can shrug off even super effective physical hits. WoW doesn't exactly make the set, and she is plenty bulky without having to use the move thanks to intimidate.

Chansey @ (Shed Shell)
Calm; 232 Hp/ 252 Sp. Def./ 24 Spe.
Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Stealth Rock
Seismic Toss

-Chansey?-
Yup, Chansey. Actually, Chansey has experienced a fall from grace with the shift of the uu metagame making for much more physically oriented teams. Nonetheless, mainstay special attackers that are commonly seen such as moltres, some venusaur, milotic, typhlosion, houndoom, and raikou are still walled by her and she continues to be the best special wall uu has to offer. Since much of my team is designed to shut down physical offense, I had to use the best special stop I could in order to beat most special threats with only a single pokemon dedicated for the task (doesn't this remind you of OU Blissey also?).

-Moves-
Due, to the sheer presence of status moves already clogging up the team, I felt like she would better serve her purpose by running other supportive options which explains the absence of toxic. Softboiled is the recovery move of choice on this set simply because I cannot afford room for protect. Aromatherapy allows chansey to serve as the team cleric, and with all of the intimidates and burns I can get off during the course of the match she can often be brought in on physical tanks without noticing and get off an aromatherapy if need be. Stealth rock had to be on her as it didn't really have room anywhere else on the team and I'm more than okay with that as she is a pretty reliable user of the move. Lastly, seismic toss rounds out the set so that she can beat down on some special attackers when the time comes to do so. Because of hitmontops spread he can come on in any missy variant, foresight and then go to Chansey who can then beat missy with seismic toss.

-EV'S-
Chansey's ev spread is another simple one to figure out. Im running shed shell so being trapped by dugtrio isn't an issue. Because of no leftovers, I run near max max for the best special walling possible. Dont knock it, it worked beautifully the entire time I was using the team. 24 spe is my obligatory number for pokemon falling in this speed tier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Closing-
There you have it, the stall team that not only existed, but would go on to thrive in a meta where stall "wasn't possible." It was at number 1 for a while under a friends account and I had it at 2 for a long time under an alternate name. This team did such a good job of shutting down all but the most uncommon of threats thanks to double intimidate. Spiritomb and Arcanine really helped carry this team and both of their sets really got the better of people when I first started laddering. I remember a match where I was playing LonelyNess and managed to win because his last pokemon, curse umbreon was unable to boost his attack because my last two pokemon were arcanine and hitmontop resulting in a painful (for both sides really) pp stall. I feel like this probably my most succesful team after the hail one that I made, and have since forgotten. However, this one is probably my favorite. Anyway, rate like or comment. Thanks in Advance.
========================================================

Necroing: This team is in a whole new forum and so I wanted to bump it. I feel it was a quintessential stall that shined in the face of adversity. There isn't a much better example of a stall team you will find in D/P/P UU.

I'm not experienced with UU stall, but I've faced more than my fair share, and since you asked, I'll give it a shot.

You seem to have most threats covered, especially with the abundance of physical defenders (we all know Chansey rapes special defenders anyways), and the fact that some of your other Pokémon can wall specific attackers like Missy anyways.

The only common threat I feel could reliably beat your team is NP Houndoom, it can come in on a Spiritomb Will-O-Wisp or Arcanine Flamethrower (though you have Toxic in that case), and with the Nasty Plot, I believe it can 2HKO Chansey with NP Fire Blast. If it comes out late game, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that many of your Pokémon are weakened already, including Chansey (e.g. Pursuit Krow), and your Omastar falls to HP Grass or DP, Hitmontop to FB, Tangrowth and Tomb to FB/DP, and Arcanine to DP. Only Hitmontop, I can see lasting an attack with SR down. I haven't run calcs, so don't quote me.

The only possible suggestion I have is to put Thunder Wave somewhere, but I'm not sure. Possible Stun Spore over Toxic on Tangrowth, as that's even better for Flyers. Or on Chansey, but I don't think you have any room there.

EDIT: Tangrowth doesn't get Stun Spore! Neither does Venusaur...

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's really cool to see a stall team being posted after so long. It's still viable even though Gallade is a bitch, and is the one I believe most people hate to play against.
Now on to the rating:
Spiritomb wants Rest. Chansey already removes sleep with Aromatherapy and Pain Split not only is unreliable, but can backfire at times lowering even more your durability, something needed because of Spin Blockers and *punches the wall* Gallade.
IMO you should keep Close Combat on Top, as it allows to hit Spiritomb and Missy harder once you Foresight them, or just hitting random switches, something that Stall causes.
Arcanine wants Flare Blitz IMHO, as the recoil is somewhat compensated by Morning Sun and you'll be hitting Gallades and Grass Types in general much harder if the need arises.
About Shed Shell I really am not sure, I prefer Lefties as it's not situational and provides you more durability, but that's just me.
Edit: If the NP Doom weakness does exist as 031ap mentioned, you could simply use Mach Punch on Top.

I'm not experienced with UU stall, but I've faced more than my fair share, and since you asked, I'll give it a shot.

You seem to have most threats covered, especially with the abundance of physical defenders (we all know Chansey rapes special defenders anyways), and the fact that some of your other Pokémon can wall specific attackers like Missy anyways.

The only common threat I feel could reliably beat your team is NP Houndoom, it can come in on a Spiritomb Will-O-Wisp or Arcanine Flamethrower (though you have Toxic in that case), and with the Nasty Plot, I believe it can 2HKO Chansey with NP Fire Blast. If it comes out late game, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that many of your Pokémon are weakened already, including Chansey (e.g. Pursuit Krow), and your Omastar falls to HP Grass or DP, Hitmontop to FB, Tangrowth and Tomb to FB/DP, and Arcanine to DP. Only Hitmontop, I can see lasting an attack with SR down. I haven't run calcs, so don't quote me.

The only possible suggestion I have is to put Thunder Wave somewhere, but I'm not sure. Possible Stun Spore over Toxic on Tangrowth, as that's even better for Flyers. Or on Chansey, but I don't think you have any room there.

EDIT: Tangrowth doesn't get Stun Spore! Neither does Venusaur...
hm... stun spore you say? I'll try that.

About houndoom-
It and feraligatr to a lesser extent are my main problem areas that I have noticed. Thankfully, toxic spikes being down keeps me from using WoW liberally and if it comes in on arcanine, I just roar as it almost ALWAYS NP's the first time. At any rate, its a pretty big threat.
----------

Bluewind-
I took the advice on spiritomb and hitmontop, and I'm going to test arcanine w/ flare blitz.

I don't know much about UU so I'll keep it short: I'd move Spiritomb out of the lead position due to the fact that its best to keep your #1 answer to Gallade alive and well as long as possible.

I don't know much about UU so I'll keep it short: I'd move Spiritomb out of the lead position due to the fact that its best to keep your #1 answer to Gallade alive and well as long as possible.
I would, but he can ko/ wall so many leads without taking a scratch. Most leads in uu are not able to deal with spiritomb and must switch out. Trust me, he is the safest lead for this team as ambipom(horribly common still) and froslass can hinder just about anything else on this team. Uxie only does ~6 percent with u turn after it is burned which doesn't even negate leftovers. Almost any lead I can think of is basically free set up for omastar/ chansey, or forced out by spiritomb.

Nice team, it's good to see that people are still using stall with bitchade around.

I actually think it's farely well made, the only threat I really see is Taunt/SD Drapion if Hitmontop and Arcanine aren't in good shape. Lucky for you Drapion isn't really that common anymore. So yeah, I guess i'm done here. GL. :P

Nice team, it's good to see that people are still using stall with bitchade around.

I actually think it's farely well made, the only threat I really see is Taunt/SD Drapion if Hitmontop and Arcanine aren't in good shape. Lucky for you Drapion isn't really that common anymore. So yeah, I guess i'm done here. GL. :P
I can see drapion giving me head hurt. But like you said, he is next to nowhere. I didn't even bother with him in the threat list because i haven't seen any.

Chrunchatizeme- I already do... thanks though

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good stall team. Since this is actually a solid build, I'll avoid making some major changes. Although you could try out Mach Punch over Close Combat on Hitmontop as a way to semi-check Houndoom. Close Combat isn't really going to do anything but force you to switch out after your Defense drops. Chansey cannot check Houndoom effectively as it suffers a 2HKO from a +2 Fire Blast. Thankfully, you can lure in Fire Blast after Seismic Toss to Omastar, and going to Hitmontop for the Hidden Power Grass. Hopefully you have Stealth Rock down because Houndoom will be difficult to handle.

Go for Hidden Power Rock over Toxic Spikes on Omastar. Toxic Spikes is really a wasted move currently with Venusaur and such being common. Hidden Power Rock acts as a Altaria check now, and a way to hit SubAzumarill without you resorting to Tangrowth to check it. (which doesnt enjoy 2 consecutive Ice Punch's)

As for other options, try out Stun Spore or Sleep Powder over Toxic for status. Sleep Powder is always a great move to help wish pass or set up easier. Stun Spore, however, provides a way to hit faster sweepers trying to come in. overall gl, just my 2 cents, I really didn't have something to "change" it fully.

Good stall team. Since this is actually a solid build, I'll avoid making some major changes. Although you could try out Mach Punch over Close Combat on Hitmontop as a way to semi-check Houndoom. Close Combat isn't really going to do anything but force you to switch out after your Defense drops. Chansey cannot check Houndoom effectively as it suffers a 2HKO from a +2 Fire Blast. Thankfully, you can lure in Fire Blast after Seismic Toss to Omastar, and going to Hitmontop for the Hidden Power Grass. Hopefully you have Stealth Rock down because Houndoom will be difficult to handle.

Go for Hidden Power Rock over Toxic Spikes on Omastar. Toxic Spikes is really a wasted move currently with Venusaur and such being common. Hidden Power Rock acts as a Altaria check now, and a way to hit SubAzumarill without you resorting to Tangrowth to check it. (which doesnt enjoy 2 consecutive Ice Punch's)

As for other options, try out Stun Spore or Sleep Powder over Toxic for status. Sleep Powder is always a great move to help wish pass or set up easier. Stun Spore, however, provides a way to hit faster sweepers trying to come in. overall gl, just my 2 cents, I really didn't have something to "change" it fully.
Thanks for the rate

Mach punch might actually help, but is it really worth it without technician?

Toxic Spikes is there to stay, sorry... You wouldn't believe how easy it can be to remove a poison type from the match when you can control how often it has to switch in and since venusaur doesn't get natural cure, its that much easier to wear down should it get burned. Altaria is checked by tangrowth stun spore + rock slide. (I dont think people bother with special attacking versions anymore, but maybe they do...)

I used hitmontop -> tangrowth to check azumarill on my last team and after intimidate azumarill has a snow flake's chance in hell against tangrowth (hax is required or azu loses 100% of the time). Azumarril does a little more than 30 percent after leftovers and Im ev'd to out speed them.

BTW, I didn't know tangrowth learned stun spore, I was under the impression that it did not, thanks for straitening that out.

I'm using stun spore. Tangrowth is basically a lure for honchkrow(pursuiting chansey sucks) and moltress. Sleep powder is a free switch for honchkrow and I cannot afford that. Stun spore cripples both and rock slide can finish them off.

Also, I'm not wish passing...

One of the best stall pokemon for UU is Cradily. I've seriously lost games because it just out stalls me everytime. A good Rest/Talker Cradily or even a Curser Cradily could be of some use to your team. If you find a weakness in your team, consider Cradily as a strong finisher to just plain stall out your opponent.

One of the best stall pokemon for UU is Cradily. I've seriously lost games because it just out stalls me everytime. A good Rest/Talker Cradily or even a Curser Cradily could be of some use to your team. If you find a weakness in your team, consider Cradily as a strong finisher to just plain stall out your opponent.
Thanks for the suggestion, but there really isn't a spot for cradilly. Tangrowth is needed for his resistances that cradilly does not share.

I think this stall is for real guys... had arcanine not gotten morning sun I actually think heavy stall would have been at too much of a disadvantage. It has me near the top 10 in a metagame where stall is supposed to be dead. Right now it does really well, but as more stall teams emerge I believe people will start preparing for them a bit more than they are right now. Until then, this stall has proven to me that you can still wall the meta just as well as the meta can sweep common stall pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)