Bog-Standard OU - or so it appears! Peaked Top 40 Pokebank OU

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Bog-Standard OU - or so it appears! Peaked Top 40

Introduction

This is a team that I threw together with some sets that I thought were interesting, and now have become standard It all started off when I got destroyed by Mega-Luke and Talonflame with my old team. If you can't beat them, why not join them? Mega-Luke was the first member, as I wanted to try out the underrated special set. I wanted to make sure Talonflame didn't have his way with the team, and saw that Gene had been allowed back on the field, fresh with new moves from an event. Next I needed a fire and ground resist, and a good core that helped against the blasted firebird - step up Lando and Rotom, unintentionally completing a volt-turn core, allowing Luke numerous switch-ins. I also needed something to handle other volt-turn cores and I saw the Conk set in the AV thread. The team was working well, but lacked a check against special Mega-Luke. In came Vacuum Wave and Aegislash, and so the team was formed! Standard on the surface, but with some different, yet effective sets.

The team has had real success, peaking top 40 on the Pokebank OU ladder. Standard ladder screenshot:

The Team

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Conk was one of the founding members of the team, and is definitely one of the most useful. Equipped with an Assault Vest, he's extremely hard to kill, and can generally manhandle the popular U-turn core of scarf Gene and Rotom-W that everybody's using at the minute. With Guts he actually benefits from a burn, something that isn't hard to get with the temptation of KS Aegislash, Lando-T, and Rotom-Rotom match ups. Once burned, he hits extremely hard, destroying ghost switch-ins and generally being annoying by knocking off items. With Mach Punch instead of Thunder Punch he's pretty helpless against Skarmory, but is capable of checking special Megaluke in a pinch. Ice punch hits Lando-T switch-ins for big damage, as well as dragons and other mons 4x weak to it. Now that rain is less popular, I also use him as my pseudo water resist, as he doesn't fear scalds much. Normally I play pretty aggressively with Conk, knocking off as many items as possible - knocking off a Rotom Chesto Berry or a gene scarf is pretty satisfying.

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Extremespeed
- Explosion
- U-turn

Banded Gene is an absolute beast, giving up a bit of speed for a ridiculously powerful U-turn and, after a download boost, an Extreme Speed rivaling that of banded Arceus. I wanted an Extreme Speed user to handle Talonflame, and Gene does that perfectly, with E-speed being a OHKO after rocks. Iron Head is for clutch flinches and STAB, and for destroying the under-rated threat that is Clefable. Explosion leaves me completely at the mercy of opposing Aegislash, and I'm considering replacing it for flamethrower - I haven't done so due to its lack of power with the wrong choice item and no EVs. Explosion does allow me to get a big hit on something before going out, maybe a Mandibuzz walling me, or doing half to Heatran late game. I very rarely use it though, and play conservatively with Gene - if I can get it in free on something slower I'll U-turn, but if there are hazards up I'll save it as much as I can for an Extreme Speed clean-up. Bluffing a scarf as much as possible can also allow it to scare off faster threats, such as Mega Luke and Charizard.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Standard is Standard. With so many physical threats in the tier (one less now Mega Mum has gone, thank god), an Intimidate user is vital. Lando absorbs physical hits like no-one, and is one of the sturdiest setters of Stealth Rock. Stone Edge is the only rock move I have, and is essential for bringing Charizard-Y down, even if I have to sacrifice Lando. U-turn allows me to keep momentum, normally giving a free switch-in to one of the more annoying members of my team.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

You can't spell volt-turn without Rotom-W… well you know what I mean. Physical Rotom-W is almost a must in this meta with powerful threats like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir running around. I chose Pain Split over Chesto Rest as I prefer the constant leftovers recovery; the rest is standard, with W-O-W for burning stuff, Volt Switch for momentum, and Hydro Pump vary rarely used but incredibly useful when needed. Again I'm pretty reckless with Rotom if it means I can burn threats like Chomp and Mega Luke. The bulky set is vital, as he's my sole water resist.

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 29 Spd
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

The boss. Aegislash is my Wall Breaker and is very good at it - nothing really likes to switch into it; in fact, nothing in my team can apart from Conk, who gets his Knock Off blocked and attack reduced :S The only pokes that have caused problems have been Bisharp (if it avoids Sacred Sword) and Meloetta (screw this thing). Max attack in both stats allow me to get maximum damage from the combo of Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak, and King's Shield allows me to cock-block banded Azu and other physical threats. I use it sparingly though, so as not to get setup on - I mostly use it to ensure another turn of burn damage, ensuring a kill with Shadow Sneak. He also acts as a fantastic Mega-luke check, beating physical variants. The special variant that beat it (with Shadow Ball, or thankfully, the more popular Dark Pulse) don't tend to carry Vacuum Wave or Aura Sphere, allowing Rotom to get a burn, or allow me to switch to Conk to absorb the hit or to revenge with Mach Punch. The 29 IVs are to under-speed opposing Aegislash looking to under-speed the 31IV version, so I can hit it in Blade Form.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Aura Sphere

This thing. As long as I take the chance to Mega Evolve early and keep this alive, the battle is never lost. I preferred the special variant as burns are so common now, and Adaptability makes up for the lower BP of the moves. The fourth member with priority, this set is difficult to revenge at +2 and easily cleans up late game, as long as Jellicent and Aegislash have been taken care of. Flash Cannon and Aura Sphere are both really strong, backed up by Adaptability. I decided to go with Vacuum Wave instead of Dark Pulse to better check opposing Mega Luke and to make it harder for scarf Gene / keldeo / other to revenge me. It's so dangerous because people are never sure if it'll be physical or special; unfortunately the special version is becoming more common, so it might be worth switching to the physical set to maintain the element of surprise.

Well that's the team! I do have trouble with spike-stacking teams, as I have no way to get rid of hazards, although none of my members are particularly weak to them, and not many teams carry spikes nowadays. Sticky web can be troublesome, although the four priorities in the team alleviate this somewhat. I do hate smeargle though - I have nothing to absorb a spore or taunt, so I can't stop him doing what he pleases. Which is annoying. Thankfully, he's pretty rare though. Thanks for reading!

Importable: How do I do spoilers??

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Extremespeed
- Explosion
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Aura Sphere

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 29 Spd
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Special Mega Luke and I must say that this Team looks very solid! may come back and do a full rate later on when I have more time on my hands, but for now I noticed a typo on your Lando-T: He should be running a Jolly Nature but you've left it as Serious.

also the code you are looking for is [ hide= blah blah ] and [ /hide ] without spaces and of course replacing the "blah blah" with whatever you want it to be titled while collapsed. I'd also make sure to take out all the double spacing your Sets seem to have to make things looks a bit cleaner

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
I'm a huge fan of Special Mega Luke and I must say that this Team looks very solid! may come back and do a full rate later on when I have more time on my hands, but for now I noticed a typo on your Lando-T: He should be running a Jolly Nature but you've left it as Serious.

also the code you are looking for is [ hide= blah blah ] and [ /hide ] without spaces and of course replacing the "blah blah" with whatever you want it to be titled while collapsed. I'd also make sure to take out all the double spacing your Sets seem to have to make things looks a bit cleaner
Corrected, thanks!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, I got your request.

This is a pretty solid cookie-cutter Luc centered team, so there isn'5 much that needs to be said. The only real weakness I'm seeing here is a lack of a true answer to powerful, speedy special attackers such as Mega CharY, Gengar, or Lati@s. Lead CharY really fucks up this team; Fire Blast / Solarbeam together just cuts through this team like butter, and the only Pokemon that can outspeed it (Luc) can't even hit it for neutral damage. Because of this, Conkeldurr needs Thunder Punch over Ice Punch, as its Assault Vest makes it the only Pokemon that can survive powerful special attacks. You can't OHKO CharY with Thunder Punch, but the combination of it and Mach Punch KOs CharY more than half the time, which is much safer than nothing.

Then, to hit Ground / Flying-types, you'll need to delegate Ice Beam to Genesect over Explosion. This catches Landorus and Gliscor that try to switch in to you. It also nails Dragon-types, which is quite useful on a Steel-type like Genesect.

There's not much else I have to say. Nice team!

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
Hey, I got your request.

This is a pretty solid cookie-cutter Luc centered team, so there isn'5 much that needs to be said. The only real weakness I'm seeing here is a lack of a true answer to powerful, speedy special attackers such as Mega CharY, Gengar, or Lati@s. Lead CharY really fucks up this team; Fire Blast / Solarbeam together just cuts through this team like butter, and the only Pokemon that can outspeed it (Luc) can't even hit it for neutral damage. Because of this, Conkeldurr needs Thunder Punch over Ice Punch, as its Assault Vest makes it the only Pokemon that can survive powerful special attacks. You can't OHKO CharY with Thunder Punch, but the combination of it and Mach Punch KOs CharY more than half the time, which is much safer than nothing.

Then, to hit Ground / Flying-types, you'll need to delegate Ice Beam to Genesect over Explosion. This catches Landorus and Gliscor that try to switch in to you. It also nails Dragon-types, which is quite useful on a Steel-type like Genesect.

There's not much else I have to say. Nice team!
Thanks a lot, I'll test those changes out! Would it also be possible to EV Landorus to survive a hit and OHKO back? By experience he takes a flamethrower, not sure about a fire blast.. but yeah, normally I have to sack something and hope its modest/kill with Lando.

Thanks again for your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)