Metagame Bonus Type

arn.av136

would've, could've, should've
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i don't agree with you, i think urshifu isn't broken at all since every pkm can be add fairy or poison. i made ONE team, and i'm still using it, 0 urshifu annoyed me. i'm at 1347 and i did 17 w for 2 L. and i also don't understand why naganadel is banned because heatran flying counters it totally.
Naganadel has access to Thunderbolt AND an Electric typing through Bonus Type. What are you saying?

Time to use stall guys:
The two most potent stallbreakers Naganadel and Spectrier had been banned even with the ladder already going balanced / semistall. No defensive mons were banned. Poison Mandibuzz, Fairy/Dragon Corviknight, Steel Zapdos, Fairy Ferrothorn, and many more are still alive! It is quite obvious that there are much more defensive mons than offensive mons to choose from and it will for sure make stall great again xD

i don't agree with you, i think urshifu isn't broken at all since every pkm can be add fairy or poison. i made ONE team, and i'm still using it, 0 urshifu annoyed me. i'm at 1347 and i did 17 w for 2 L. and i also don't understand why naganadel is banned because heatran flying counters it totally.
its fine to disagree with me but bring actual arguments. your argument is even worse than those shitty reasons given above. its never about u, its about the state of the meta. i can sit here and preach about how i never lost to a single spec or naga or anything in the meta, that doesn't change anything here nor does it contribute to the discussion

Q: How do Forest's Curse and Trick Or Treat work?
A:
They replace the Pokémon's third type, or act as the third type if the Pokemon only has 2 types.

Q: How does it work with Transform and Imposter?
A:
The bonus type is not copied. Ditto's bonus type is also removed.
Neither of these seems to be true in the format as it works currently on Showdown. Forest's Curse/Trick Or Treat works independently of the bonus type, which is treated as if it is an intrinsic typing of the Pokemon, meaning that it can gain a fourth type when affected by one of these moves. Ditto copies the opponent's types in full.

Moreover, there is currently an IMO significant problem with how typing is displayed, in that if the bonus type is a Pokemon's second type, it is shown in the UI next to the original typing, whereas if it is the third type, it is not displayed, even disappearing mid-battle if the Pokemon gains a second base type due to an in-battle forme change. This is quite confusing to users who can become unsure of whether the bonus type is actually effective, to the point where we are regularly sending out chat announcements during tours assuring them that it is.

One way to improve the situation with the UI would be to indeed make the bonus type use the "addedType" slot, similar to Forest's Curse/Trick Or Treat, resulting in it being displayed in the same way (perhaps this problem was anticipated and this was the thinking behind that FAQ?) However, it might also be allowed for the Showdown client to be improved to show more than two types (similar to how the tooltip can display all of the typings currently in-battle). Avoiding using the "addedType" slot for the bonus move strikes me as somehow systematically cleaner, since it the core OM rule interacts 'normally' with these moves without requiring a seemingly arbitrary exemption, but I don't know if there are other reasons why sharing this slot might be seen as beneficial. That said, apparently Showdown isn't intended to officially support more than two inherent types per-Pokemon, and while it seems that currently the battle UI is the only place that doesn't properly work with three or more, the current functionality is contingent and not necessarily guaranteed to be maintained in future.

Could the Bonus Type council please offer guidance on what they think would be the best way to address this issue? Thank-you.

(EDIT: Note that a client change that can show 3+ types was accepted regardless of this issue, so that will at least temporarily fix it whenever the Showdown client is rebuilt.)

Last edited:
I started to play today, and I found a great mon, Ghost Bisharp.

smol sharp.png

ghost (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Ghost removes its 4x weakness to fighting, and also doesn't add any new weakness due to its standard dark type.

I'm loving using it, becuase of its defiant ability, its so fun to punish defogs.

On the subject of Urshifu, it's definitely not that constricting on teaming as some people make out to be and I find Kartana and Kyurem more of a threat.

For 1, a lot of the Pokemon already viable in this Meta naturally enjoy the type they have that resists Urshifu's attacks.
Mandibuzz with Poison (Dark Crobat actually looks pretty dank but I'm not that sure to include it here) becomes a better natural check to Pokemon like Rillaboom and Kartana with Poison, can't be statused with Toxic, gains a Fighting/Bug resistance, and is neutral to Fairy, which helps a lot when you're typically pivoting a lot.
Corviknight/Skarmory with Fairy gain an extremely useful Dark resistance that also lets them resists Fighting, and not just for Urshifu, but also non-Fire Blast variations of Hydregion, Eon Duo, and Pokemon like Tapu Lele
Clefable can really run almost anything and still be fantastic, with Fire making offensive Clefables be even more threatening and Water/Fairy is a great type all together.
Other Fairies without Magic Guard can benefit from Poison, removing their weakness to Poison itself and absorbs Toxic.
Toxapex no longer is susceptible to FuturePort spam and gets a neat Knock Off Resistance with Dark, and Fairy Pex wouldn't be too much of a stretch since it also becomes better against Draco spam, Fighting spam, and U-turn spam.
And even Pokemon like Flying Magnezone, a fantastic Pokemon in this Meta, often will get +6 Def and force Urshifu to lock into Wicked Blow (which may not kill given Magnezone's bulk), while Magnezone will still KO Urshifu with Body Press (unless it's part Ghost, otherwise Thunderbolt can easily KOing after chip), and additionally can trap Urshifu with Steel typing.
And reminder that most of these Pokemon also have reliable recovery and utility outside of being a damage sponge.

Additionally, like I stated previously, Kyurem and Kartana are bigger threats that I account for more while team building.
While I realize I was a bit off with what resists Freeze Dry+Earth power in my previous post (forgetting about Rotom Heat, which additionally can act as a Urshifu check if you really wanted to), walling Kyurem throughout a game is still a monumental task with how little amount of good checks there are. Flying or Grass Heatran is very susceptible to being wore down when it's now Stealth Rock weak without reliable recovery. Same with Rotom-Heat/Frost and Bronzong. Pokemon like Steel Vikavolt and Cryogonal have levitate and recovery, but aren't that great outside of checking Kyurem. Frosmoth is of course Frosmoth, while Bug Mr. Rime and Ice Orbeetle sound awful as well. Flying Scizor is immune to Earth power, but now is 2HKOd by specs Ice Beam and Regular Scizor is still 2HKOd by the now STAB Earth power.
The most viable Pokemon that can resist Ground Kyurem's STABs is Steel Moltres, which is definitely more demanding as Mandibuzz, Zapdos, and Heatran are typically better. The reason why reliable recovery is important when dealing with Ground Kyurem is that it is now neutral to Stealth Rocks, making Kyurem an even better tank with its 125/90/90 bulk. Then there is also Kyurem's access to Focus Blast or Draco Meteor, making a check that much harder.
"What about Blissey? It can tank some of the strongest special hits and Ghost/Fairy removes its Focus Blast weakness" you may ask.
Yes it can, but Kyurem can just run SubRoost to pretty much invalidate Blissey entirely, just now even hard since Blissey can't thunder wave Ground Kyurem and has additional STAB to wear down Blissey faster.

Meanwhile, Kartana has some striking similarities to Urshifu when it comes to checking, that is having similar Pokemon that can "switch-in" to Kartana without instantly dying. What makes Kartana better in this Meta than Urshifu (imo at least), is that Urshifu is far more negatively impacted by triple types than Kartana and benefitting less. Like I said before, Kartana and Urshifu have similar damage outputs with their respective moves
(Yeah that's right. Kartana's STAB Knock Off is actually more powerful than Urshifu's Wicked Blow, that is also while having a chance to do more damage at random and removing an item). What makes Kartana so much harder to wall this Meta is its natural STABs, Beast Boost, and some other attributes.
Take Poison Mandibuzz for example. If Urshifu is part Poison, all its moves will be resisted by Poison Mandibuzz, while Urshifu needs Steel with Iron Head to hit Mandibuzz neutrally, and that is far weaker than its iconic STABs and also Kartana's Smart Strike that it'll naturally have STAB on.
Urshifu will also need to Poison Jab STAB and Iron Head STAB for Fairy Pex or something like Tapu Fini, while Kartana can slice through those same Pokemon easily with Leaf Blade. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only thing that resists Grass/Steel/Dark/Fighting is Rotom-Heat with Fairy typing or like Azumarill with Electric and Sap Sipper.
This honestly wouldn't be so bad to deal with if Kartana didn't have Beast Boost. With Kartana's already insanely high DPT, coverage, and good speed tier, Kartana being allowed to get 1 Beast Boost from a KO more often then not means you already lost. If you don't have something like Mach Punch or a faster Pokemon, or if Kartana is locked into a move that you have a x4 resistance to, you just lose. So you really need to have a all your checks to Kartana or your back ups are going to have a tougher time. But you know, good luck keeping those checks healthy too when Kartana just Knocks Off their HDBs or Leftovers, and switches out into any of the amazing defensive backbones this Metagame provides.
So other things that makes Kartana such a threat are its speed, being fast enough with scarf to outspeed the whole Metagame and threaten, Kartana naturally doing better than Urshifu vs Priority (Grassy Glide, Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, and Extreme Speed are shrugged right off and Darktana and Fightana now resisting Sucker Punch with a nice 59/131 bulk), which additionally threats tons of offensive teams, and access to Sword Dance means Kartana can dominate defensive teams that Urshifu otherwise might struggle with.

With that, it's pretty clear how much more constraining Kyurem and Kartana are than Urshifu. Giving them 1 extra STAB to choose from changes so much about how you deal with them. Kyurem can more often blast its STAB Specs FD and EP more often when it can switch in without its stealth rock weakness limiting it and still can use its SubRoost set, while Kartana's coverage doesn't mind the target's triple typings so much since it'll often pack something neutral for it and depending on the set can invalidate most teams and being extremely strict about you making no errors. These 2 require a lot of gameplan and reach out for less than great checks to not lose to them instantly. At least with Urshifu, you have plenty of viable options as switch-ins, that aren't so restricted in using a specific typing.

Anyways, see you guys later.

I started to play today, and I found a great mon, Ghost Bisharp.

View attachment 347235
ghost (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Ghost removes its 4x weakness to fighting, and also doesn't add any new weakness due to its standard dark type.

I'm loving using it, becuase of its defiant ability, its so fun to punish defogs.
I hadn't considered how defiant interacts with defog, that's pretty cool

electric (Urshifu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Poison Jab/ U turn
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow

good mon, 2hkos most of the common checks/counters people are using. like corvi/pex/manibuzz. alot of defensive cores are centered around these mons atm since they are the most viable etc. this is sololy the reason why i have been just destroying teams who rely on that core. adamant/jolly doesnt really matter, if u want the speed u can go for it, u wouldnt miss any ohkos/2hkos i reccomend using adamant but it depends on the team really. im usually just teleporting urshifu and breaking.
252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 282-332 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (granted, no one runs full def evs well i hope no one does)
252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 218-258 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 302-356 (75.5 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
i have also seen some ice urshifus as well to handle the common ground/fairies like hippo,chomper, fairy zapdos,torn etc, looks like people were already ahead me with using ice urshifu thou, im not sure if its that good or good at all.

abuse while u still can :) its a great asset to have.

flying/grass (Heatran) @ Leftovers /boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic/SR

still the best stall breaker in the meta, shuts down alot of wacky offensive teams, can use grass to always trap water types such as slowking and pex more comfortably(its not needed, u still win with flying typing) handles stuff like subroost kyurems really well and always stop those sd chomps without a way to hit u(scout for rock coverage)

its fine to disagree with me but bring actual arguments. your argument is even worse than those shitty reasons given above. its never about u, its about the state of the meta. i can sit here and preach about how i never lost to a single spec or naga or anything in the meta, that doesn't change anything here nor does it contribute to the discussion
stop attacking people over a supposed lack of 'contribution to the discussion' and 'bad arguments' when you've been posting entire paragraphs that can be diluted down into absolutely *nothing*, like your post last page where you had to use that many words to badmouth the creator of the OM and say 'b-b-but future sight support'. Urshifu isn't as broken as you made it out to be. It's okay to admit that, but you're not the kind of person that would I don't think, judging by the fact you like to flaunt 'abusing' broken stuff that's not yet been banned.

Last edited:
Urshifu in IoA OU: Stopped only by Toxapex + Mandibuzz, with Toxapex tanking all hits except for Wicked Blow, and Mandibuzz walling Wicked Blows.

Urshifu in Bonus Type: ????

:sm/Toxapex:
i hate using the 3ds models theyre lifeless but im too lazy to go to the sprites directory oop
Dark (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic
Dark-type Toxapex is a monstrous wall. Losing its Fighting resistance hurts sometimes, but added STAB damage on Knock Off and the added resistances are simply too good to pass up. A lot of common mons struggle to break through Pex thanks to its added ty--

252+ Atk Choice Band Electric Urshifu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dark Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Electric Urshifu Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dark Toxapex: 218-258 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Electric Urshifu Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Poison Mandibuzz: 282-332 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The added STAB damage Urshifu gains with Electric as its bonus typing is incredibly oppressive. Most defensive cores have to be tailored very specifically towards beating Urshifu at any percentage, to avoid getting destroyed by any of its STABs. I've been gravitating towards Ghost Excadrill + Dark Toxapex + Dragon Corviknight, but Ghost Excadrill kinda sucks lol

anyway i hate urshifu and want to stop talking about it

:sm/Zygarde-10:
why is the dog not barking. i hate the nintendo 3ds
Normal (Zygarde-10%) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Body Slam
There's way too many Pokémon stacking Ground weaknesses and relying on their innate Flying-type or Levitate to keep them safe. Well, not anymore. Thousand Arrows is a fair and balanced move that does fair and balanced things.
Something that might be a glitch (I think?): Thousand Arrows always deals neutral damage against targets weak to it if they're Flying-type. And I'm not talking about Electric/Flying types taking normal damage when first hit by TArrows, I know it's meant to work like that. I'm talking about Flying Magnezone taking neutral damage instead of 2x damage.

:bw/Latios:
YESSS LOOK AT HIM GO
Steel (Latios) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Earthquake

I was watching WeedleTwineedle and saw they were using this set. And being an average WeedleTwineedle enjoyer, I absolutely had to use Weakness Policy Stored Power strats......
Latios can live a non-Specs Chandelure's Shadow Ball at +1 from full health, and it can take most Knock Offs from walls. Steel-type is chosen because Latios has too many weaknesses covered with Steel type and the added utility of being immune to poison and taking less Stealth Rock damage is great. If you're not using this awful set, Steel-type Latias is... better.
anyway bye lol

Quick question for everyone.
:ss/avalugg:
But which bonus typing would be the best typing for Avalugg?
There are a bunch of potential typings to match with Avalugg;
Water, Fire, Ground, Fighting, Ghost, Poison, Fairy, Steel, Electric, ect. all with different strengths and weaknesses.

Quick question for everyone.
:ss/avalugg:
But which bonus typing would be the best typing for Avalugg?
There are a bunch of potential typings to match with Avalugg;
Water, Fire, Ground, Fighting, Ghost, Poison, Fairy, Steel, Electric, ect. all with different strengths and weaknesses.
I guess if I had to pick one, poison sounds nice? Toxic immunity + 100% accurate toxics, fighting neutrality, not much else it offers aside from that but they're nice. Steel seems dope for the most resists, toxic immunity and rocks neutral, but those weaknesses, yikes. Fighting for stab body press and rock neutrality
Why do you ask, if I may?

Here are some poison Avalugg calcs because boy can he wall

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poison Avalugg: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO No stab

252+ Atk Choice Band Fire Urshifu Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 186-222 (47.2 - 56.3%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg on a critical hit: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Steel Urshifu Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Def Avalugg Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Steel Urshifu: 496-588 (145.4 - 172.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 134-162 (34 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Def Avalugg Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dark Kartana: 396-468 (152.8 - 180.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poison Avalugg: 164-194 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
Why do you ask, if I may?
Well because Avalugg has the third highest physical bulk in the game, right behind Zamazenta-C and Full Health Lugia technically, but isn’t banned and also has recovery. It’s main problems are its incredibly poor special defense and bad typing.
While the options it has for a new typing are not all steller, all it really needs to do is be neutral to plenty of the physical attackers, making a pretty good core with Blissey, which can wall most special attackers by raw stats alone.

Something that might be a glitch (I think?): Thousand Arrows always deals neutral damage against targets weak to it if they're Flying-type. And I'm not talking about Electric/Flying types taking normal damage when first hit by TArrows, I know it's meant to work like that. I'm talking about Flying Magnezone taking neutral damage instead of 2x damage.
Thousand Arrows also deals neutral damage to Bug/Grass/Flying types. Once they're smacked down, then it starts doing ¼ damage. No, I don't know why the cart does that.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
:ss/sirfetchd:
Normal (Sirfetch’d) @ Leek / Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Facade
- Body Slam
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack / Feint

This dude crits a lot and is hard to wall. A lot of people rely on Ghost-types to wall Fighting types, and guess who doesn't care about those. Fairy Corviknight makes this guys life a pain though.
Also Leek gets you free wins on ladder when people ragequit because you keep critting them.
This set cannot tank a hit to save its own life, so bring it in on stuff you force out. I typically cant get a Swords Dance up but it still hits everything hard.

EDIT: Bonus: have a team w/ him: https://pokepast.es/93011e366a825aae

:ss/urshifu:
I have found the Urshifu counterplay lacking, for similar reasons to why it was in OU. While resists are more flexible here, there are still very few Pokemon that can tank hits from both it and a Future Sight user at the same time. Fairly simple and safe prediction allows you to remove part of many of the cores designed to stop it (ie: any 2 mon core that needs to switch the right mon into the right move to tank a hit should not be considered safe versus Urshifu). The metagame is very kind to it as well, with Heatran being everywhere preying on Fairies.

It's definitely not impossible to prep for Urshifu, although if the Electric set posted above catches on it will become much more difficult given how many of the answers are weak to that. And the common answers are good either way. However I believe it is far too easy to give Urshifu the support it needs and steal momentum from its, typically very passive, answers.

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Further discussion of Urshifu-Single-Strike in this thread is blacklisted.
If you can't make posts without being rude, don't post here.

If you read my previous post, I've already mentioned that 23gz and I have continued to discuss Urshifu's impact on the meta since the recent bans and we will update you all soon. Thank you.

Byleth

Retirement
QuickBan Slate #2
:ss/Urshifu:
Urshifu-Single-Strike has been banned from Bonus Type! Upon introduction to the metagame, Urshifu-Single-Strike was allowed on the premise of having more room to check its stabs with the addition of another type, as it was not much difficulty resisting both of Urshifu's stabs.

However, Urshifu quickly began to exploit Choice Band STAB coverage moves to get around defensive checks like Fairy Corviknight/Pex/Chomp and Poison Mandibuzz with Electric, Steel, and Poison coverage, which often made Shifu checks inconsistent and set dependent. Certain hard answers such as Fighting Hippowdon and Electric Buzzwole could also be exploited by the use of Future Sight, making Urshifu near unwallable.

The amount of pressure Urshifu put on teambuilder often forced two checks to comfortably handle it, which was restrictive and opened teams up to other threats.

Tagging Kris to implement!

However, Urshifu quickly began to exploit Choice Band STAB coverage moves to get around defensive checks like Fairy Corviknight/Pex/Chomp and Poison Mandibuzz with Electric, Steel, and Poison coverage, which often made Shifu checks inconsistent and set dependent. Certain hard answers such as Fighting Hippowdon and Electric Buzzwole could also be exploited by the use of Future Sight, making Urshifu near unwallable.

The amount of pressure Urshifu put on teambuilder often forced two checks to comfortably handle it, which was restrictive and opened teams up to other threats.
I don't want to sound frustrated, but literally everything you said about Urshifu also applies to Kartana or is just a worse scenario to facing a Kartana.
Kartana can 2HKO or OHKO all but Electric Buzzwole Pokemon Choice Band and STABs alone, and even then, Mandibuzz requires HDB and to be healthy.
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Fairy Corviknight: 181-214 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Fairy Garchomp: 267-315 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Dark Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Fire Garchomp: 288-339 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 248 HP / 60+ Def Poison Mandibuzz: 199-235 (47 - 55.5%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Fighting Hippowdon: 402-474 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Electric Buzzwole: 75-88 (17.9 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Also to compare
252+ Atk Choice Band Poison Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 133-157 (31.8 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Barely does more and still far from a 2HKO.
This is all without needing to decide between 3 different STABs, and yet Kartana just brute forces its way in with just it's 3 STABs and an extra Sacred Sword or Knock Off (which removes important items for checking it) of its choice. This again is also just 1 set. Kartana is a faster scarfer and it even has access to Sword Dance.
This is additionally assuming Kartana also hasn't KO'd one of your Pokemon, in which case you probably already lost or need to revenge kill it.

It's pretty astonishing that people that people claim Urshifu is broken while not batting an eye to Kartana, which in this Meta outclasses it in nearly every department and is far more centralizing. Every single game with Kartana I have to reserve Poison Mandibuzz with Foul Play or something that can revenge kill it as to not auto lose against Kartana. Even then, I have to also keep Magnezone at high health so that it can trap and body press Kartana when it locks into Smart Strike (But oh wait, Kartana was bluffing being Choiced and used Sword Dance, killing my Magnezone and doing a shit ton to Mandibuzz at + fucking 3).

At least with Urshifu, I could be more at ease knowing it has to run very specific coverage that makes it vulnerable to something like Electric Clefable or Grassy Glide revenge killing or that I can at least sack a Pokemon when I need to without losing on the spot.

Should Urshifu be unbanned? Maybe or maybe not. But Kartana certainly deserves it much more.

I don't want to sound frustrated, but literally everything you said about Urshifu also applies to Kartana or is just a worse scenario to facing a Kartana.
Kartana can 2HKO or OHKO all but Electric Buzzwole Pokemon Choice Band and STABs alone, and even then, Mandibuzz requires HDB and to be healthy.
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Fairy Corviknight: 181-214 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Fairy Garchomp: 267-315 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Dark Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Fire Garchomp: 288-339 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 248 HP / 60+ Def Poison Mandibuzz: 199-235 (47 - 55.5%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Fighting Hippowdon: 402-474 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Electric Buzzwole: 75-88 (17.9 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Also to compare
252+ Atk Choice Band Poison Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 133-157 (31.8 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Barely does more and still far from a 2HKO.
This is all without needing to decide between 3 different STABs, and yet Kartana just brute forces its way in with just it's 3 STABs and an extra Sacred Sword or Knock Off (which removes important items for checking it) of its choice. This again is also just 1 set. Kartana is a faster scarfer and it even has access to Sword Dance.
This is additionally assuming Kartana also hasn't KO'd one of your Pokemon, in which case you probably already lost or need to revenge kill it.

It's pretty astonishing that people that people claim Urshifu is broken while not batting an eye to Kartana, which in this Meta outclasses it in nearly every department and is far more centralizing. Every single game with Kartana I have to reserve Poison Mandibuzz with Foul Play or something that can revenge kill it as to not auto lose against Kartana. Even then, I have to also keep Magnezone at high health so that it can trap and body press Kartana when it locks into Smart Strike (But oh wait, Kartana was bluffing being Choiced and used Sword Dance, killing my Magnezone and doing a shit ton to Mandibuzz at + fucking 3).

At least with Urshifu, I could be more at ease knowing it has to run very specific coverage that makes it vulnerable to something like Electric Clefable or Grassy Glide revenge killing or that I can at least sack a Pokemon when I need to without losing on the spot.

Should Urshifu be unbanned? Maybe or maybe not. But Kartana certainly deserves it much more.
does kartana have the ability to bypass intimidate and defensive stat increases through wicked blow always critting?
I think not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)