Boring rain team RMT

(Changes are in red!)

~AT A GLANCE~

Well, hi there Smogon, and welcome to (what I think is) my first RMT thread. Sorry if it's not completely up to par. Apologies for the crappy, potentially wrong, descriptions, like I said, new to this.

I built this team... yesterday I think, started using it today on the Smogon PO server. I was able to make it to:

394. Nothing that will astound you guys but I was surprised that I made it that far considering I'm absolutely terrible at competitive battling.

Anyways, onto the team stuff.

~TEAM BUILDING~

Well, it's a rain team, so you obviously need Drizzle Politoed:

I knew I wanted to use Jolteon, so I added him in there too:

I knew I would have trouble with Ferrothorn, so in goes Magnezone:

I needed something physical, so I added Lapras so I don't get walled by Blissey and Chansey and what not:

Latios eats up the Grass / Electric / Fighting moves that get aimed at Lapras, plus he's awesome and kills lots of stuff:

I actually put Jirachi in as a lead when I made this team, as I normally don't play Wi-Fi because I think Team Overview or whatever it's called is really stupid. However, it's always on the Smogon server so whatever. Jirachi ended up not being that good so I'm putting him last:

I swapped out Jirachi for Forretress, who can set up AND spin out hazards:

At Hatman's suggestion, I will be trying out Zapdos instead of Jolteon, we'll see how I do:

~IN DEPTH~
@ Lum Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Hypnosis
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Ice Beam

Well, it's DrizzleToed, the heart of every rain team in Gen 5. I changed out Scald for Hydro Pump to better fit the offensive IVs. I am considering switching to a more specially defense Politoed.Hypnosis is useful when it hits, normally allowing Jolteon or Lapras to come in and set up. Hidden Power Flying is for Breloom, who I actually haven't seen much of. Ice Beam to hit Dragons and the occasional freezehax.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Toxic

I swapped Jolteon for Zapdos, I still need to try it out, so I will re-edit this part once I have. I was going to use Lightning Rod, but apparently it hasn't been released so I've gotta use Pressure for now. Zapdos also adds a nice ground immunity to my team.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

I swapped out Jirachi for Forretress, who will hopefully do much better. Toxic Spikes is really nice for wearing down Pokemon that aren't steel types, providing I get both layers down. Stealth Rock adds more damage on top of that. Rapid Spin to take out hazards on my side that would otherwise prevent my Pokemon from switching in safely.

@ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise

Magnezone the Steel Killer! He helps a lot with things that would normally threaten my team, like Scizor and Ferrothorn. Now running HP Fighting to deal with Steels instead of HP Fire, which gets cut in the Rain. Substitute helps me to ease prediction. I swapped Thunderbolt for Thunder, because I normally have rain up by the time I send him in. Magnet Rise to avoid EQ, though I have trouble predicting when I should use it and normally get hit with EQ anyway. I'm trying Air Balloon to try to remedy this, though I'll likely miss the recivery that Lefties provide.

@ Life Orb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Ice Shard
- Dragon Dance

Lapras is a beast. Lapras has pulled me out of so many losing situations. Rain + Hydration = Awesome. Free 1 turn Full Restore and immunity to all status. Dragon Dance helps speed Lapras up as well as add extra power to Waterfall and Ice Shard. Very hard to stop after 2 or 3 boosts. Waterfall for powerful Water stab, Ice Shard lets me hit things like Gliscor and weakened Dragons that already have a DD or two.

@ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Surf
- Psyshock

Latios! What a beast. I'm so glad it's not uber. Draco Meteor is insanely powerful, and it does a lot even to Steel types. Surf gets a nice boost in Rain, helps with pokemon like Excadrill who resist Draco Meteor. Psyshock mostly for coverage, hits nicely on Blissey and Chansey though. Trying Expert Belt to feign Choice Specs. Obviously less powerful, but we'll see how it works. Swapped Trick for Recover.

I think that's everything.

Rip me apart, Smogon.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think putting Hydro Pump or Surf over Scald is better. This is because Politoed is EV'd offensively, and the greatest amount of power is optimal. Alternatively, you can use a more defensive EV spread and use Scald.

Personally, I would use Thunder and HP Ice on Magnezone. Like you said, HP Fire is cut too much by Rain, and is rather useless. You can usually ensure Rain is up when Magnezone is in because a steel type can't switch out to a weather changer. Thus, Thunder should always be reliable. HP Ice gives you pseudo BoltBeam.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Lapras is awesome, good job on using it.The change I'd consider though is on Jolteon : Shadow Ball is rather useless. You hit absolutely nothing useful with it, as a neutral STAB Thunder hits harder than a super effective Shadow Ball. I'd use Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, Substitute, Yawn, Wish or even Quick Attack instead of it.

The huge problem I see is Jolteon, Jirachi, Lapras, and Magnezone are ALL weak to Ground moves. Politoed and Latios take neutral damage. 4 out is 6 isn't good at all. You need a Levitate Pokemon that can easily deal with Ground types.

I agree that Magnezone needs Thunder, but I would suggest HP Fighting so you can still Super Effectively hit Steel types. An Air Balloon on Magnezone can help against EQ and would free up a move slot for something more useful. Of course Air Balloon will pop so Magnet Rise might be better. I'll leave that suggestion to someone more experienced.

The huge problem I see is Jolteon, Jirachi, Lapras, and Magnezone are ALL weak to Ground moves. Politoed and Latios take neutral damage. 4 out is 6 isn't good at all. You need a Levitate Pokemon that can easily deal with Ground types.

I agree that Magnezone needs Thunder, but I would suggest HP Fighting so you can still Super Effectively hit Steel types. An Air Balloon on Magnezone can help against EQ and would free up a move slot for something more useful. Of course Air Balloon will pop so Magnet Rise might be better. I'll leave that suggestion to someone more experienced.
Dude, wth are you talking about. Lapras is neutral to Ground, and Latios has Levitate, making it immune. However, the Ground weakness is something that needs to be fixed.

IMO, the best solution would be to use either Zapdos or Thundurus, the difference being the roles that they play, being more defensively oriented for Zappy or more offensively oriented for Thundurus. Since you don't have a solid defensive wall on the team, I reccomend Zapdos. Since we're getting an electric type, lets get rid of one in the process. I see Jolteon as a lackluster Pokemon, so lets replace him.

Zapdos @Leftovers | Pressure
Bold | 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpDef
Thunder / HP Ice / Roost / Toxic

This is a pretty solid set for Zapdos, enabling it to take a beating from the Physical side where you would normally have problems, such as taking that Roobushin's Drain Punch or eating the Mach Punch from a Breloom. 248 HP is to make you able to take 4 SR switch ins, since you don't seem to have a Spinner on the team. Thunder is obviously used over Thunderbolt, since it is a rain team, and the rest is pretty much self-explanitory. You can alternatively switch out Pressure for Lightning Rod, to give yourself an Electric immunity, which can be nice for taking those TBolts aimed at Politoed.

Dude, wth are you talking about. Lapras is neutral to Ground, and Latios has Levitate, making it immune. However, the Ground weakness is something that needs to be fixed.
You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. For some reason there for a second, I thought Ice was weak to Ground. In fact, it's the other way around. And I forgot Latios could Levitate. My apologies.

But still having 3 weak isn't good either. Hatman has a great suggestion with Zapdos.

This team would benefit from Zapdos being on it instead of Jolteon, but Jolteon is obviously faster.
... Thunderous > Zapados

Mmm, one thing i might do a little bit differently is run Thunder on Latios over Trick. It gets 100% accuracy in rain, and has extremely good coverage in combination with Surf. I also might run Expert Belt or something to bluff specs, but it's obviously user preference.

... Thunderous > Zapados

Mmm, one thing i might do a little bit differently is run Thunder on Latios over Trick. It gets 100% accuracy in rain, and has extremely good coverage in combination with Surf. I also might run Expert Belt or something to bluff specs, but it's obviously user preference.
Zapdos > Thundurus obviously on rain teams, mkay.

On the Latios set, why are you still running Trick, even though its Expert Belted? IMO, change it to either Thunder or Ice Beam, or maybe even Recover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)