Boss Battles: Which is your favorite of all time?

Beating the Elite 4 for the first time when Red and Blue just came out was pretty cool. The feeling of beating the game was great, and the battle was pretty hard if you were young..

Also Jak2 was a good battle. I survived with only one health bar left. Also the fact that it was the kind old man from the beginning that you never heard from again was a huge shock.

Also Fontaine from Bioshock was ok but that was mainly because the game was so awesome.

God of war and God of war 2.. Nuff said.

Hmmm.... You know what, Metroid Prime 3 Bosses feel like a let down. I am on normal mode, but still, they seem to easy. Omega Ridley was a joke, as was Helios. Mogenor was hard because in order to kill him you had to waste 4 of your 6 or 7 energy tanks. I committed suicide the first time through.

Hm..... Other bosses...... For some reason, I don't remember any other good ones from MP3. Okay, other Metroids. SA-X is evil, just because jump + shoot is annoying. Ridley fight from that game was fun though. Phazon Elites are was crazy hard. That thing came out of no where. Metroid Prime/Dark Samus is awesome. It's amazing to hurt them with their own attack. Gonna have to second Quadraxis for sheer fun, Chykka thing for almost killing me and making forget to scan the thingies it spawns, and then Boost Guardian and Spider Guardian for being evil. A fight without shielding was evil in MP2 and then Spider Guardian was all, I kill you while you try to figure the timing. Ha, I win because even though you know how to win, I have enough stage to confuse you with.

Yep, once I beat MP3, playing them all on hard mode will be fun. Of course, switching from Wii to GCN will be hell. At least scan visor will be 50 times easier to use.

Wow, everyone's saying King K Rool was the coolest.

I've never played it (unfortunally, I don't have N64), but I might try it out on the Virtual Console when I get a Wii

Staying in the Chrono series as far as plot goes I think Miguel in Chrono Crossis my #1 favorite boss fight... it makes me sadface to think about it but the plot right before him leading into a battle that neither side really wanted to be in was really good, the music made it better and the fact Miguel had some cool attacks like HolyDrgSwd or however it was abbreviated made it a really great boss fight.
I came into this topic thinking this. The only problem with the fight is it makes the rest of the game seem lame, because the best moment is already over.

Also, in Advance Wars, the final battle (named, appropriately, The Final Battle) is one of the most epic things I have ever seen in a video game. Having two allies from the different countries you fought playable at the end was great, and the absurdly increased difficulty from the rest of the game makes the level something to remember. See, in most AW missions, you start off at a slight disadvantage, and are expected to shake that off, quickly gain more income, and begin to slowly push back the enemy. In this one, Sturm (the enemy) begins with a huge, huge army, and very quickly uses it to kick your ass, to the point where your goal in the first ten turns is "please don't finish me off." That and the fact that while most CO powers are something like "deal 1 damage to every enemy" or "raise my units' range," Sturm's is "drop a meteor on my enemies!"

I'm not quite sure it counts as a boss, but it certainly felt like a boss battle.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In no particular order, I like

Diablo in Diablo and Diablo II. Apocalypse in the original was awesome, especially considering he was in a room full of death knights (my favorite monsters in that game, except maybe the charging dudes). In Diablo II, he got even better, replacing Apocalypse with the Flame Wheel, and adding Lightning Hose to the mix. The whole "open 5 seals and defeat 3 mini-bosses" is also cool. Pop the final seal, the ground shakes, "Not even death can save you from me."

Duriel from Diablo II is also a beast. Big D and Little D. :) Then they added uber Tristram, so you have to fight a powered up Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal at once.

Of course, not much can match the atmosphere of the Butcher in Diablo. It's the very first thing I saw in the game, aside from the regular townspeople. A wounded townsman lay at the entrance to the Monastery. "Please, listen to me. The ArchBishop Lazarus, he led us down here to find the lost prince. The bastard led us into a trap! Now everyone is dead... killed by a demon he called the Butcher. Avenge us! Find this butcher and slay him so that our souls may finally rest..." So I trudge down into the dungeon, wondering about this "Butcher" character (He seems a little shady to me). I get down to the second level, and I find this strange room full of blood and impaled bodies. Tentatively, I open the door, and hear a shout of "Ahh... Fresh meat!" and proceed to get slaughtered ("Press Esc to continue"). I eventually had a complex maneuver involving buying lots of extra bows, finding a grate, setting up a town portal past a grated area with a door, and then trekking back down to pelt it.

King K.Rool in DKC2 was great. I love the song for that, and it had some cool effects.

Lastly, the Cyberdemon in Doom was cool. Tall as a skyscraper, a huge rocket launcher for an arm, a "Rarghgh" cry when you awaken it... That just fits Doom perfectly.

definetly Kefka, he's probably the best Final Fantasy Villain, and don't go telling me Sephiroth is
Sephiroth is. I like a lot of villains on these three pages but I have to say, the plot for FFVII seemed better than the others.

I say that partly because I believe that statement is true, partly because sephiroth in KH2 was probably the hardest battle of my life, and partly because that quote was the only mention of sephiroth ive seen in this topic.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and so I liked the level where they could have put a boss in halo 2. Sure it was just more shooting the flood but...at the end, with the worthog, and your dricing it acrosss the space ship and it explodes...that was freaking awsome.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quoted for truth

...and as an excuse to mock how bad fusion was. That game was so terrible after super metroid, which was made a whole eight years earlier. You'd think they would've had the time to actually make a good game.

Hardest bosses in that game are nightmare and yakuza (the spider thing) by far. Oh, and netorri (the plant cocoon thing that gives plasma beam) if you include 1% runs. Final boss is of lol proportions. If you know how to use the angle up button, the B button, and the control pad, you win.
The coolest thing about Metroid Fusion was...

That you could link it to Metroid Prime for the Fusion Suit, which looks 1,000X better than Samus' Bulky Varia Variants.

Perfect Chaos in Sonic DX (Director's Cut) was insane and took me about 5 hours to do it right, but man was that fun. A lil golden hedgehog vs the Blue Monster that's supposed to doom the world is just epic. Also i loved every boss fight in FF1, except for maybe that robot (had 20k HP) that had the chance to attack you before the dragon fight (GBA version; Wind Crystal, iirc.)

Also in World of Warcraft the 1st time I ran through Wailing Caverns, the last boss. I was just psyked over how big it was (its a lv 23 elemental thing). That's nothing now compared to the wandering T-Rexes in the crater.

I also agree on the whole DK64 boss thing, although I haven't gotten to King K yet (stupid Mario Arcade level). My favorite was easily the giant dragonfly.

Like many others, I can't name just one.

Star Fox. Super Nintendo version. I'll try to just pick one from this game. Geez, I don't know. They're all great. I'll say Proffesor Hangar/Hanger, just because he's got amazing music.

Super Mario RPG: Seven Stars. Toss up between MegSmilax and Culex. Giant mutant paranha plant that isn't Petey (I'm sorry, but I never really liked him) or FF reference boss. I can't decide!

DKC2. King Zing Sting. Because he's a giant Zinger, and Zingers are awesome. And you fight him as Squawks! Come on!

Pick a Kirby game. If it has Meta Knight in it, you win. If you have to ask why...you don't need to ask why, do you?

Metroid Prime (First. I haven't gotten to play 3) Meta Ridley. Because Anything+Robot=Awesome and Ridley=Super Awesome. And because he killed me so many times. Only the Omega pirate was harder for me, although I've heard people say that it was really easy.

Last one. Paper Mario TTYD. Cortez. Because he's a giant multi/no limbed skeleton with an exceptionally lame spanish accent. And he's a pirate!

I liked Twilit Fossil Stallord from Twilight Princess a lot. It wasn't hard, but it's a really fun battle and making use of the Spinner makes it awesome. The second part of the battle is my favourite, when you have to alternate between the center column and the wall, dodging his attacks and avoiding those spinning things.

Twilit Dragon Argorok was fun to play as well, although once again not being too tough.
Twilit Aquatic Morpheel was cool too, I think it was the first time Link fought a main boss underwater. The damn thing should've still been more agressive.

I liked the final battles vs Ganondorf in OoT, WW and TP. The sword battle in TP should've been tougher though, but it was still an epic showdown overall. I think OoT's final one is still my favourite. Actually finished it after WW, which I don't remember as much from.
ALttP had some tougher boss battles, but I never had as much fun in those.

I should be getting Metroid Prime 3 when it releases here this Friday, so I'm looking foward for some awesome boss battles in it.

Super Mario the thousand year door was great, but they fucked up with the new one. Why get rid of the rpg turn based battle system that were the focal point of (besides the paper element) of the series? Anyway I really liked all the boss battles in TTYD. In the original I really liked the ice king and the final boss. Huff N Puff was my least favorite...

In the newest version I dont really like any of them. They are somewhat fun but the fact that you can block every single attack with peaches umbrella is just bull...

anything one god of war/ god of war 2.

i really like'd that hydra fight at the beginning. it was pretty intense.

cerberus fight on devil maycry 3. first boss, but i i fought him like 20 times because i thought he was cool.

FFX bossess. i liked the boss music.

brittany gears fight in rachet and clank 2. it was fun and funny.

final sephiroth fight on FF7. very very epic

and i know this is super old, but i loved the final boss fight on yoshi's island. when baby bowser got huge and you had to throw huge eggs at him. pretty epic for a yoshi game.

Stallord from Twilight Princess was really fun. So were most of the bosses in DK Jungle beat, not particularly difficult, but always fun.

I am glad that a lot of people have said K. Rool from DK64, because I always enjoyed that boss battle myself.

I'm not entirely sure whether this counts, but the Black Knight in Path of Radiance was pretty badass.

Abyssion in Tales of Symphonia was pretty awesome.

I always loved the level Macbeth on Starfox64 "What's wrong? Come a little closer!"

Goht in Majora's Mask will probably always be one of the most fun boss battles I've ever played. The rolling around was just so fun.

The Great Mighty Poo in Conker's Bad Fur Day was always worth a good chuckle, as was the furnace.

The Evil Mani Mani statue in Earthbound when you're in Magicant, I liked how it was the manifestation of all the bad stuff in Ness's brain.

I could probably think of more, but this is already getting too long :-/

I havn't played that many games, but from my experience I love alot of them from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Zelda. In KH, Kurt Zisa and the Phantom were alot of fun considing how difficult they could be. In KH2 it was definitely the first Fight with Axel where you got to play with dualwield for the first time! In Zelda...Ganondorf in Orcanira of time was epic, go light arrows! Final Fantasy X, the last Seymour fight and the last Jecht fight was very hard and fun at the same time, and it was amazing how much it added to the story line. In Final Fatasy XI, I loved fighting HNMs/Gods such as Tiamat and Kirin, and duoing Charybdis as a RDM/NIN with another RDM/BLM.

The End from Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater is one of my favourite boss battles, first one that sprang to mind when I saw the thread.

The final boss in Mario and Luigi:Partners in Time. You first have to fight the Evil Princess, then her Sister, THEN AGAIN the Evil Sister Mega Form. All without any recovery, and it kills your fingers when you pull off the Bros Item combinations. Toughest boss I have ever faced.

Oh, and the FIRST Boss in Prince of Persia: Warriors Within. Damn hard for newbs to PoP to finish off.

The final battle from Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. It's possibly the only boss fight that brings a tear to my eye.

Obligatory mention of Diablo and, to a lesser extent, Baal!
Oh dear god yes! Diablo got himself a soft spot, because that guy was nasty (Hardcore, no TPs, pop last seal as ama, meet 10 flamebreathing demons with an elite amongst them. Have fun).

Also, Psycho Mantis was awesome. I have only played him through an emulator, but damn. And even though I love Sniper Wolf, her fights weren't that epic =/ And then you are followed by Vulcan Raven (ohmygod he got a gatling gun ohmygodHEWALKSWITHITANDSHOOTSAAAAA). Also, when you beat him, that monologue was awesome.

If I venture into WoW, even with my limited raiding experience, I have to say Deathbringer Saurfang was quite the cool fight, lorewise and mechanically (tank pov). Another would be one of the new bo- screw that, the whole Grim Batol is epic as fuck. If you are a retard, you are a dead retard. End of story. Double for heroic mode.

without a doubt, yami from okami. it is a great game as it is, but with a boss fight as epic as this, the final boss just gets so musch cooler. i mean come on, youre a wolf bating the crap out of a ginat evil ball that is going to destroy the world. just try to beat it.
also, seymour flux in ffX, just the insanity of the battle, combined with the difficulty just makes it more fun than any other battle in the game. also, seymour natus is fun, because with reflect, you pretty much auto win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)