Boss Revamp v 2.0 - The Shooting Stars

What move should Gliscor run? (Vote after reading Gliscor section of RMT)

• Roost

Votes: 51 79.7%
  • U-Turn

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harroh. It's that boy R.B.G. , back again for his second installment in the "Boss Revamp" series. A quintet of RMT following and chronicling the best teams I've made and used since my descent from #7 on the OU leaderboards On to the RMT, shall we?

This team is named the Shooting Stars, as they are six of the top 25 used pokemon outside of Ubers. Two of them actually are stars. In OU, you can't get too much variety, as everyone uses a shallow pool of pokemon, even more so shallow than Magikarp's movepool.

In my days as a Generation 4 competitive battler, I've used plenty of teams, and designed plenty of my own custom sets. Since my first every Generation 4 OU team(a HO team consisting of six sweepers, 3 of them with a Yache Berry addiction), my battle style has changed drastically. From all out offense to stall-breaking and trap passing, I'm not sure where I stand now. Please note, this RMT has numerous mistakes as nearly everything is copied and pasted from other RMT/articles. So if you see something talking about "Gyarados' dismal SpD stat," its a mistake on my part, from both exhaustion and laziness.

SNAP A PIC
*X*
*X*
*X*
*X*
*X*
*X*
*X*
TIME TO CHECK EM OUT!

RachiRAMA (Jirachi) @ Light Clay
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 80 HP | 244 Atk | 184 Spe

• U-Turn
• Iron Head
• Thunder
• Light Screen

Why This Pokemon: With those two speedfreak suicide leads roaming OU, Jirachi is one of the few anti-aircraft machines out there to take them out. Beating them both in 2HKO's with Iron Head, and flinching them more than half of the time, Jirachi does pack a punch. Which two suicide leads am I talking about? None other than Azelf and Aerodactyl of course.

Why This Set: An experimental Jirachi set I cooked up, this set works well as both a lead and support for its teammates. A twist on the classic Lead Jirachi, this set also brings in Para-hax and U-Turn, resulting in a more dynamic lead with multiple use.

Iron Head has 60% flinch chance on Jirachi, known by every OU battler and otherwise.

Thunder also has a 60% paralysis chance, but isn't as popular because of its tendency to miss when you need it to hit.

Light Screen is the purpose of this set, as evidenced by the Light Clay that this Jirachi holds. Jirachi, with Light Screen, plays a key role in setting up Gyarados, my main sweeper, for some bulldozing.

U-Turn is useful for scouting, and switching out of Azelf Explosions into Celebi. This Jirachi works out pretty well. RachiRAMA has 8 less Attack EV's, but gets 8 extra Speed EV's to outspeed other Jirachi and Celebi leads out there.
Against the Top Ten Leads of OU

-Iron Head that hoe. 2HKO. It'll Taunt, believing this is a TrickScarf lead, so I can Thunder and pray for a hit AND paralysis on the first try, the odds of that are in my favor as well. If Aerodactyl gets paralyzed after Thunder, its near useless, and doesn't even get to set up SR. Ragequit anyone?

-It'll outspeed and try to Fire Blast. See Aerodactyl for further information.

-It'll Fake Out, then Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Jirachi always loses to Infernape, so I'll switch out to Starmie.

-Iron Head flinch hax all the way, if Jirachi isn't confused by then.

-Thunder for the 2HKO. Possible parahax involved.

-One of the bites to not running an Aerodactyl lead anymore. Switch to Gliscor and Taunt it when it uses Substitute. Instant ragequit.

-It'll use Sleep Powder, but won't be able to if I get flinch hax. What turd would set up Toxic Spikes on a Rachi, anyways?

-Simply a pain. Switch out to Celebi, Grass Knot should 2HKO.

-Iron Head should 2HKO-3HKO. Simple as that.

-Holy crap, switch out to my Gliscor and outstall it, or switch to Starmie and gas chamber that hoe.

Ima STAR (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 136 HP | 156 Def | 216 Spe

• Surf
• Rapid Spin
• Thunderbolt
• Ice Beam

Why This Pokemon: The best rapid spinner in OU, if not the game, Starmie boasts the BoltBeam combo, resisted only by some bastard named Lanturn. Starmie is an amazing choice for spinning away entry hazards including Toxic Spikes, as Natural Cure rids it of that nasty poison status.

Why This Set: Starmie is also on this team for its ability to check OU's most dangerous sweepers, such as Infernape, Salamence, Dragonite, and Gyarados. Starmie has a crap load of problems with any ghost type not named Gengar, and can't take on bulky pursuiters such as Scizor and Tyranitar. However, Starmie more than earns its way onto my team.

Little Bitez (Gliscor) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP | 40 Def | 216 Spe

• Taunt
• Toxic
• Earthquake
• Roost/U-Turn

Why This Pokemon: Lawl. A carbon copy of the Stallbreaker set off of Smogon, this Gliscor is nowhere as sweet as its namesake, those amazing little pastries that are severly overpriced. A Gliscor is to most walls as a sledgehammer is to well.......you get the point.

Why This Set: Blissey runs in fear from this Gliscor as a Taunt from Gliscor alone ruins most Blissey sets. A threat to most bulky waters out there, and all stall teams, Stallbreaker Gliscor is simply a thug. Ruining Blissey, Hippowdon, other Gliscor, and Baton Pass teams, Gliscor is my best friend at times, and will eat up half of OU alive.

Toxic breaks a walls' recovery methods, while Taunt forces them out from their hiding spots.

Roost as needed, and EQ offers an amazing STAB combined with Gliscor's Attack stat of 95. I'm considering U-Turn as a possible replacement over Roost, as U-Turn would make switching in and out of Jirachi even funner, as Jirachi and Gliscor cover each others' weaknessess near perfectly.

Wewt WOOF (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA | 64 Atk | 192 Spe

• Close Combat
• Flamethrower
• Grass Knot
• Vacuum Wave

Why This Pokemon: Infernape is the dynamite to Gliscor's sledgehammer to....oh what the hell. Mixape, one of the best wallbreakers in the metagame slides into my team. The only pokemon I currently use that's been on every team I've used since the release of D/P, it's obvious as to why its here.

Why This Set: Infernape rapes walls, okay? With Latias going bye-bye, nothing in OU except the occasional Weezing can truly stop Infernape dead in its tracks.
Close Combat offers STAB, high base power, and a means to do a chunk of damage, while being more accurate than Focus Blast.

Vacuum Wave is STAB priority that helps out during crunch times.

Flamethrower is less powerful than Fire Blast, yet more reliable.

Grass Knot makes those heavy bulky retards go BOOM! Too bad that Infernape never lasts longer than 2 hits, (insert sad face here please.)

Tinkerballz (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP | 220 Def | 36 Spe

• Grass Knot
• Thunder Wave
• Recover
• Earth Power

Why This Pokemon: Where should I start? 100/100/100 base defenses just screamed "put me on your team" at me. What choice did I have?

Why This Set: It's the standard off of Smogon, and while I typically use my own custom sets, I had to burn bridges for this Celebi.

Thunder Wave ruins sweeps at their prime, especially since Celebi is able to switch in the middle of a sweep, take a hit, and laugh at opposing Gyarados and Salamence.

Grass Knot is Celebi's best friend, shutting down Tyranitar and Gyarados for the most of it.

Recover frustrates those who try to take down Celebi, while Earth Power offers amazing coverage, particularly against surprised Heatran.

Big Mouth (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 72 HP | 252 Atk | 184 Spe

• Dragon Dance
• Earthquake
• Stone Edge
• Waterfall

Why This Pokemon: Gyarados is a thug. No need to explain. With a monster base 125 stat, Gyarados simply rampages through OU with a ferocity rivaled only by Salamence. After the help of Jirachi's Light Screen and Starmie clearing the field of sharp pointy objects that hurt Gyarados, this Mack Truck's wheels won't get busted after switching in. After 2 Dragon Dances, half of the metagame runs in fear. After 6, Shuckle retreats into its shell, and Blissey throws its egg at a wall. Even Rotom gets run over like train tracks in a feeble attempt to stop a Gyarados sweep.

Why This Set: Dragon Dance is obvious, boosting Gyarados' Attack and Speed by one stage.

Stone Edge is yummy, thrashing opposing Gyarados, Salamence, and Dragonite, effectively killing off the other team's sweepers.

Waterfall offers STAB, exceptional base power, and the occasional flinch hax. Waterfall is Gyarados' nitro, and I simply love to LOL! as my opponent's team gets run over by a +6 Gyarados with STAB waterfall. It's so beautiful, makes me proud.

Earthquake is a filler, an amazing one at that. Earthquake completes the triumvirate of powerful moves that Gyarados packs.​

WANTED LIST

Threat Rating out of 5 stars: * * * *
Holy son of my mother, (that's me of course.) SpecsJolt, SubPasser Jolteon, and Charge Beam Jolteon all rape my team with a BoltHPIce combo. HP Ice OHKO's Gliscor and Thunderbolt OHKO's Gyarados. Celebi is able to take at most 5 HP Ice before going bye-bye, and Starmie is 2HKO by Thunderbolt, 3HKO'd by some rare varietes of Jolteon combined with some major luck on my part.

Threat Rating out of 5 stars: * *
Scizor, probably the most hated pokemon in the OU Metagame by the people who don't use it, is also hated by me to an extent. Every variety of Scizor that runs Pursuit is a pain in the ass, instantly raping Starmie at all times, and Celebi at low HP. CB Scizor's U-Turn rapes Celebi out of the sky, doing from between 133.7%-158.4% as according to MetalKid's calc.

End Notes The Synergies are coming soon. In your posts, please remember to vote on whether Gliscor should run Roost or U-Turn, I'll be checking every once in a while. Thank you, and good night.

To solve your Scizor "weakness" why don't you replace Earth Power on Celebi and give it Hidden Power Fire. Your Celebi is bold nature and it won't be able to outspeed pokemon like Heatran and Infernape.

harro.

this is my first review :)

okay, all your natures are completely screwed up. jolly on starmie? wtf?

first of all, your lead: jirachi
there's really not much wrong with it, but you might want to run thunderbolt instead of thunder--the increase in accuracy will essentially be the same as running thunder and getting a 3HKO instead of a 2HKO. and for those that thunderbolt will OHKO anyway (cough couch aerodactyl) u really want that extra accuracy in the first place. like i said, not much wrong with it besides that. i personally like scarfrachi lead, but this works too.

boltbeam starmie: TIMID!! TIMID!! NOT JOLLY!!!
with jolly, you're decreasing your sp. attack, which will transform many OHKOs to 2HKOs and 2HKOs to 3HKOs. so you're essentially screwed with that. if you move some of the defense and HP EVs to sp attack, starmie can also double as a special late game sweeper.

gliscor:
i would take away 4 EVs from HP and put them to speed, just so that you won't speed tie with other standard gliscor. since gliscor's not gonna take that many special hits anyway, move some HP evs to defense.

infernape: you want jolly, otherwise you're just screwing yourself over by decreasing attack, just like you are with starmie.

celebi: did u ever consider wish instead of recover? it can really help, especially since you said that infernape doesn't last long. if infernape needs to switch out for whatever reason, a little extra health on it is definetly worth the extra turn needed to heal yourself. on the other hand, if you try standard wishbliss (on smogon), it makes for a really good special wall. and you get protect as well as wish on that, since most pokes will outspeed blissey anyway.

gyarados: just a few changes here: get rid of earthquake for taunt--it will help with phazers who come in after 1 DD and can survive a boosted stone edge (cough cough skarmory). also, change the nature to either jolly or adamant (decreasing sp attack, a stat that u dont use anyway) if you don't want to put on taunt, at least get rid of leftovers for a lum berry to get rid of para and burn, both of which cripple gyarados.

Obvious. Gyarados' Naive nature takes away from its dismal SpD stat while adding to Speed.
Not sure if your being serious here, but Gyarados has a Special Defense base stat of 100, and just run Jolly. You have no special moves on him anyway. Naive/Hasty are usually only good for mixed sweepers. With Naive your taking away some Special Defense which could turn some would be 2HKO's into OHKO's.

Your descriptions for how you deal with other leads confuses me. Aero will outspeed you and 2HKO your jirachi before you can get that "flinch hax". Although gliscor might just attack your jirachi (thinking its the common scarfrachi lead), if it taunts then that could ruin your gliscor switch in.

Obvious. Gyarados' Naive nature takes away from its dismal SpD stat while adding to Speed.

I honestly don't believe you made #7 in leaderboard with that quote.

You are not running any special attacks on that Gyarados, so obviously those weren't typo's. I recommend Jolly nature which would be the obvious nature to use.

You could run a bait set on Starmie; rapid spin, tbolt, hp fire, surf, with a few defense evs might allow you to get past scizor and tyranitar's pursuit, but you lose the ability to ice dragons and grass types. Roost on gliscor for sure.

I honestly don't believe you made #7 in leaderboard with that quote.
Not to mention you talk about flinching Azelf/Aerodactyl... you can't flinch something faster than you..

Gyarados wants to be Jolly Why run a -SpDef nature when you are not a mixed attacker?

Infernape should be Naive. Why run a -Atk nature when you have a physical attack? Infernape can't take hits anyways.

I really don't like your lead, it does nothing to stop opposing leads from doing their jobs and doesn't set up rocks either. If you want to lead with Jirachi, use the lead set, though you could possibly slap thunderwave on it over U-turn if you are so set on parahax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)