Battle Spot Boyz in Blue (Prebank BSS)

Okay, so long story short I've mostly been playing BSS on cart with kind of uncoordinated, random cores built on the fly from whatever pokes I had trained and available, and while that works pretty well in the 15-1600 range life starts getting rough once you start running into the actually good players in the high 1700/1800 rang. So I decided to actually build out a team the hard way on simulator. I'm still playing up through the bottom tiers with people running 6 alolamon meme teams atm but I figured it'd be best to seek criticism early even though I'm not having that many problems with it.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze Dry
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot

Ninetales-A is my standard lead and offers so much to both of my cores in the form of aurora veil, which increases the effective bulk of my setup sweepers. Most of the things that can check M-Mence simply no longer check him under Aurora Veil. Hail is also super useful for breaking sashes/sturdy.

Though it feels strange to not opt for blizzard on a snow warning user, Freeze Dry lets it murder rain teams, scoring x4 effective hits on common pokemon like Kingdra, Gastrodon and Pelipper. Nasty Plot is a bit of a filler move but it does allow Ninetales to be an offensive threat in its own right when the situation permits it.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

This is a very standard DD roost set that got a slight boost in SM due to the burn nerf. From my on-cart experience, this thing and M-Gyarados are the two generally most powerful megas, and I chose to not carry M-Gyarados because I am running another physically offensive water type. This really benefits from the Ninetales-A support I included on the team since after a DD, roost will outspeed everything and remove its x4 weakness, making it very resilient behind Aurora Veil, especially after an intimidate.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Azumarill gained a pretty significant buff in Z-Belly Drum which gives it a lot more flexibility, you don't really need to worry about being outsped and taking chip so much anymore, if you don't get OHKO'd you'll get a belly drum, period. Most of Azumarill's old counters are locked behind bank, but it gained a few new ones. Toxapex and Kartana in particular are very nasty, but Azumarill has a partner that helps it deal with pesky counters.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball

Perishtrap Gengar was a staple (read: cancer) last gen for a good reason, it has the ability to practically guarantee a kill on quite a few things at very low risk, and can absolutely dismantle an unprepared player with the annoying combo of sub protect. Its job here is as a way to trap and remove things that might get in the way of my Azumarill's sweep.

The primary things this is meant to take out of the picture atm are Toxapex, Kartana and M-Slowbro, but after bank all of the other targets like M-Venusaur will return as well. Can also work fairly well against Pheromosa and can revenge non-scarfed Lele leads with at least one turn of hail damage on them. Night Slash Kartana can give it major problems but from my experience SD is much more common in that slot and easier to deal with.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

It's scarfchomp. Not much more to say, it's really nice to have around with Azumarill in particular as an "oh shit my sweep ended one turn early" option. I don't like that it doubles up on weaknesses but I have a 6th pokemon that rectifies any fairy/ice weak issues. I don't find myself bringing it very often though so this slot might be better filled by a more matchup oriented pokemon.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Psyshock

Fairy exterminator and lategame cleaner. I usually carry it with Salamence to avoid doubling up on megas or dragon weaknesses. I think both this and Garchomp are potentially replaceable in a way that might enhance my overall team synergy.

Another thing I'm considering is stripping out the Azumarill/Gengar core and replacing it with M-Metagross/Tapu Lele. Don't get me wrong, it's a great core, but I just find myself defaulting to Ninetales/Salamence so much more and games with it feel like they go so much more smoothly than Azumarill games.

Nice team there dude, i already like it as it is.
One thing i would recomend is to mitigate somehow your huge Scarf Lele weakness, since your only answer to it is mainly Aurora Veil or Scarfchomp (you won't be able to switch in tho, so it's risky).

About the Veils+Mence core i can say for sure that it's very, very strong. I've used that a lot even in gen6, so i totally understand your "defaulting" to that.
I really like your Metagross idea, even a Banded bulky Metagross could work as your Mence backup if you don't want to waste a mega slot, compleating the dragon-steel-fairy core and acting as a check to Lele.

An example:
@ Choice Band / Life Orb / Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Explosion

--
Behind the veils you could try Weakness Policy Aegislash that is an absolute monster if guarded by Aurora Veil. It would act as Metagross, completing the D-S-F core and checking Lele.
In my opinion Aegislash is the best partner for Salamence if using a dual screen strategy.
@ Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
Quiet Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (so Porygon2 won't get the +1 on SpA with Download)
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword / Toxic / Hidden Power Ice
- King's Shield / Sacred Sword / Toxic / Hidden Power Ice

--
Celesteela could be a good idea, with Mence and Nihilego as partners. Even Araquanid works pretty well with either Mence, Chomp, Nihilego and M-Gengar.
Actually i'm using this set, you can try it yourself if you want:
@ Mystic Water / Wacan Berry / Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
Brave Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Toxic / Scald / Filler attack
- Mirror Coat

A minor change i would do to your actual team is on Ninetales-A. I would run this set:

@ Light Clay
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
-
Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
This set has high chances to survive to a Sludge Bomb from Mega Gengar, while still outspeeding base 100s and Garchomp. You will be outsped by Kartana, but imo it's more important to set up veil versus a Mega Gengar.
Encore over Nasty Plot to decrease the chances of your opponent to setup in front of it, since imo Ninetales should play mainly the support role here, and not an offensive one.

That's all for now

Last edited:
I agree with the scarf lele weakness and Metagross was in part intended to solve that. I haven't run into very many on showdown but even with a stream of wins on the back of Sally Mence it seems to take awhile to climb.

If I run Lele, should I do timid or modest? Set suggestions in general? I've switched out Mgar/Azu to M-Metagross/Lele but honestly my picks aren't changing that much, my only loss so far was to a M-Slowbro after I sacrificed my Ninetales for a veil I ended up not utilizing very well.

Well there is a debate about running Modest or Timid on Lele. It kinda depends on your team i guess.

The fact is you can feel the difference of power that Modest has, whereas Scarf Timid outspeeds threats such as Pheromosa that Scarf Modest (hitting 220 speed) doesn't, so you could switch the scarf from Chomp to Lele, and use a Sash on the dragon. If you are not going for a Scarf Lele keeping the scarf on Garchomp, i would run Timid with some item that boosts damage (Life Orb/TwistedSpoon/Psychium-Z/Specs) or a Modest set with similar items or even some defensive item (Babiri Berry/Kebia Berry/Sitrus Berry).

If you want to use that Metagross/Lele, your Garchomp can help bot. Araquanid is a good partner too, or even Hydreigon makes a fantastic partner there.

I really recomend to try Hydreigon with those two:

@ Choice Specs / Expert Belt / Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon / Substitute (it really helps to deal with Celesteelas)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)