Brand MEW team!

Brand Mew

Hello once again Smogon, today I bring you another UU team, this time featuring something I've been wanting to try out for a while, specially defensive stallbreaker Mew. The first thing you might notice is that I have 7 pokemon here, but this is because there are 2 versions of the team but I'll get into that later. Finding a new set that works well in the UU metagame is no easy task, but this Mew is not only fun to use but also can take down entire portions of the tier on its own. This team has gotten me a peak around 2050 acre on the ladder and has winning records against many UU players such as Psych071c, Kokoloko, Aecor, Kitten Milk, ScarfedGaryBusey, CoolStoryBrobat, and many other great players (if I listed you here, dw I only listed you cuz I think you're good and if I didn't list you and you're good I definitely forgot about a lot of people lol) Below is my team building process:

When I started to work on the team, I wanted to try out 3 sets that I'd never used before: Banded Miensao, Pursuit trapping, physical Houndoom and specially defensive Mew. The Idea was that Houndoom could trap Hi Jump Kick resists as well as things like Chandy that gave Mew trouble

Next, I noticed Mew needed a bit more support to function at maximun effectiveness. I added Zapdos to absorb hits from things like Yanmega and Blastoise cuz I wanted a good spinner so mew could stay around longer.

For my last slot, I added Golurk as he countered fighting types nicely and I needed a nice switch-in for heracross and mienshao. I also needed rocks support, which Golurk provided.

It became clear pretty quickly that mienshao and houndoom were the weakest links on the team. For replacements, I brought in scarfed Heracross and banded Lax. These replacements really helped out the team overall.

The problem I have with Blastoise is that is embodies the shittiness of UU spinners. It is absolutely outclassed in every aspect by other every bulky water type in UU but for the fact that it has rapid spin. Eventually, I turned to qwilfish as it's slightly bulkier on the physical side due to intimidate and provided extra pressure with spikes. I also used taunt to help keep away enemy hazards for as long as possible.

I kept interchanging Blastoise and Qwilfish for a bit and now I have 2 different teams, one with qwilfish and one with Blastoise. With blastoise, fast hazards setters like scolipede or azelf become less of a problem but with qwil, I can put more pressure on my opponent and immediately get rid of toxic spikes. Now onto the actual team:

H
|S
|M
|Z
|G
|
Q
|
B

This team has 2 main win conditions. The first is being able to sweep with Heracross's Megahorn or Close Combat. If I can remove all fighting resists, 9 times out of 10, it's already gg as the sheer power of heracross (especially if it's picked up a guts boost) is enough that Hera will get a kill every time he's sent in. The second win condition lies in Mew. If I can remove the threats that mew can't handle, then my opponent simply won't be able to deal with mew and can get slowly worn down until I win. As I get into my team members, I'll explain how each team member helps me accomplish these 2 tasks.

Heradise [ H ]

Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
These EVs give Heracross max speed and attack investment, nothing too special here
Jolly Nature (+Spe -SpA)
Close Combat / Megahorn /Night Slash / Stone Edge

Heracross is somewhat of a staple in the UU metagame. It always does work, sports high usage and performs a few different roles very well. Because the rest of the team can handle common scarfers really well, Hera's middling speed which means that it can't revenge kill other scarfers isn't huge. What it gains in turn, however, is invaluable: a reliable, powerful STAB attack, another STAB attack to keep Slowbro on its toes, a move to take on ghosts and an amazing ability. I went with Guts over Moxie for three main reasons. First, look at the rest of the team, nothing else screams Sableye counter nor does anything else appreciate any kind of status. Second, I think that the offensive power given to Heracross by Moxie is greatly overrated. It's only a temporary boost and in reality doesn't add that much to heracross's sweeping potential unless you're facing a team where pretty much every poke takes neutral from bug/fighting. Third, if I reveal that I'm scarfed, it's amazing how many people on the ladder immediately take it for granted that I'm moxie and let themselves lose when they go out of their way to get a burn off.

Synergy:

Detour [ S ]

Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 238 SpD / 20 Spe

These EVs speed creep on other offensive base 30 speed pokes while also alloting Lax enough special hits to take a few crucial hits
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpA)
Return / Pursuit / Earthquake / Sleep Talk

Lax is my answer to most special threats that Mew struggles a little more with, primarily Chandelure. This set is also designed to shut down quiverpass Venomoth and Lilligant (hence the Sleep Talk). I really wanted to give this thing Seed Bomb to surprise Rhyperior, but unfortunately that would greatly reduce my quiver dance counter sleep talk strategy as Seed Bomb would do minimal damage to the two mentioned above and only burn a turn of sleep before I'm awake and locked into sleep talk. Lax also traps a lot of things that can be bothersome to other members of my team: Xatu, Mismagius, Victini, etc.

Synergy:

MEWsic to my ears [ M ]

Synchronize
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe

These EVs allow Mew to outspeed Adamant 252 spe base 70 pokes, like Honchkrow, and burn/taunt them
Calm Nature (+SpD - Atk)
Softboiled / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Psyshock

Now onto Mew, the center of the team. Below is a list of pokes in UU that this guy doesn't beat 1v1:

Out of a tier with around 60 pokemon, that's a pretty small list. Obviously if a few sets on other pokemon are changed, they could potentially beat Mew and vice versa but generally these are the pokes that give Mew the most trouble. On a given UU team, about two of these pokes might show up, meaning that that's two pokes away from Mew giving my opponent a headache. A common trait you may notice between all these pokes is that they are all pretty hazard weak and get generally get worn down very easily. Since I always have stealth rocks and potentially spikes too, the odds are in Mew's favor here. Mew not only stops hazards/status with taunt, but also cripples pokes with will-o and deals decent damage with psyshock. I run Psyshock over Psychic to OHKO offensive roserade.

Synergy:

C-A-G-E [ Z ]

Pressure
IVs: 2 Atk, 30 Def
EVs: 168 HP / 204 SpA / 136 Spe

These EVs ensure that I outspeed +speed base 85s. They also provide some bulk coupled with some offensive pressure
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Volt Switch / Roost / Hidden Power Ice / Toxic

Zapdos is overall an excellent poke to us in UU right now. It counters an insane number of pokes and has a a good amount of power to hit back, it's like the new Rhyperior. Zapdos is my main answer to pretty much all flying types, especially yanmega, which gives the rest of the team a bit of trouble. This is my own custom moveset; it's designed to gain momentum off of things like umbreon and snorlax with volt switch, cripple ground types with toxic and generally break down umbreon/gligar cores.
Synergy:

Pacific Rim [ G ]

Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 48 Atk / 8 Spe

These EVs give Golurk a nice little needed boost to attack which still maintaining its ability to take hits
Impish Nature (+Def -SpA)
Earthquake / Drain Punch / Shadow Punch / Stealth Rocks
With 3 immunities, Golurk is definitely underrated in the UU metagame. It shuts down most fighting types cold and can use the switch-in to set up rocks or hit something hard. I'm running EQ for a powerful STAB and Darin punch to gain some nice recovery to keep golurk going longer. I initially had Ice punch (the attack EVs guarantee that Golurk can OHKO offensive Roserade with Ice punch) but I kept wishing I had Shadow Punch to wear down a few things that proved annoying to the team:

48 Atk Iron Fist Golurk Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 146-174 (43.71 - 52.09%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
vs.
48 Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 176-210 (52.69 - 62.87%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO

48 Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Cofagrigus: 99-117 (31.03 - 36.67%) -- 84.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
vs.
48 Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Cofagrigus: 140-168 (43.88 - 52.66%) -- 78.52% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

48 Atk Iron Fist Golurk Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 109-129 (37.45 - 44.32%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
vs.
48 Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 260-308 (89.34 - 105.84%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO

Synergy:

Fuck U :] [ Q ]

Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe

Qwilfish really likes to outspeed other base 85 pokes and get off a taunt, these EVs help is speed creep a little
Impish Nature (+Def -SpA)
Spikes / Waterfall / Poison Jab / Taunt
Synergy:

Sex Toise [ B ]

Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Pretty Standard EV distribution for Blastoise
Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)
Scald / Rapid Spin / Roar / Foresight
Synergy:

Why to use Qwilfish:

• Spikes Support is nice
  • Backup fighting type counter in case Golurk dies
  • Instant removal of toxic spikes
  • Taunt support allows Qwil to shut down things like Umbreon and set up more hazards
  • Better typing than Blastoise
Why to use Blastoise:
  • Fast hazards setters become problematic w/ Qwilfish
  • Allows the team to handle things like LO Darm a lot easier.
  • Toxic Spikes help Heracross and may not necessarily be that problematic to the team
  • The team otherwise lacks a phazer and without one, things like Bisharp tend to give the team more trouble.
  • The tea overall does mind hazards and removing them prolongs the team's survivability as a whole

While Qwilfish is overall a better pokemon, Blastoise is defnitely the "safer" option, meaning that it covers a broader range of threats against the team. Essentially, if an opponent has a LO darm, Scolipede, Azelf or Qwilfish, Blastoise is the way to go but otherwise, Qwilfish performs excellently.

Threats:

Specs Yanmega

Zapdos usally handles yanmega pretty nicely, that is, unless it's specs. With specs, I somewhat have to hope I can wear it down with SR damage/ Lax / Heracross and it's definitely a chore to deal with.

Zoroark

Since my only dark resist is my most offensive poke, this team isn't a fan of specs Dark Pulses. The illusion factor just adds to this thing's annoyance, but generally it's pretty easy to tell when it's a Zoroark in disguise.

Banded Flygon

Very few teams have a solid counter to Banded Flygon and this team is no exception.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my RMT! Feel free to comment, suggest, like, let me know if I made a mistake or use it yourself:
Heradise (Heracross) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Detour (Snorlax) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 238 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

MEWsic to my ears (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Softboiled
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Pacific Rim (Golurk) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 204 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch

Fuck U :) (Qwilfish) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Poison Jab

C-A-G-E (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 168 HP / 204 SAtk / 136 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
Heradise (Heracross) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Detour (Snorlax) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 238 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

MEWsic to my ears (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Softboiled
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Pacific Rim (Golurk) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 204 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch

Sex Toise (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Foresight

C-A-G-E (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 168 HP / 204 SAtk / 136 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

REPLAYS:
Replay 1
Replay 2 (vs. Aecor, I played terribly but mew saved me lol)
Replay 3 (dumb angry man)

Replay 4

Last edited:

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Sup Nick/Moosey, sweet team, I got a few changes you could make to patch up your weaknesses.

Teammate Suggestions:
To help with your Zoroark, Flygon, and Yanmega weakness, I think you should replace Golurk with Offensive Empoleon w/ Stealth Rock. Golurk doesn't really seem vital to the team chamistry, since fighting and bug types are dealt with easily by the combination of Mew, Zapdos, and Qwilfish (you should run Qwilfish if you make this change). This Empoleon set adds to the team offensively by wrecking opposing leads like Golurk did, but it also adds to it defensively, giving you a Dragon and Dark type sponge who can hit back hard. CB Flygon and the less common Specs Zoroark are both pretty big threats, and keeping these two from spamming their most powerful attacks definitely helps. The one way this change sort of detracts from your team is that you lose your spinblocker, but even with Golurk you have a hard time stopping anything from spinning. Blastoise and Hitmontop both carry Foresight these days, and you aren't killing them with Defensive Golurk anytime soon.

Moveset Suggestions:
If you add Empoleon, I think it would be safe to use Pain Split over Poison Jab on Qwilfish, because that change makes you not nearly as Kingdra weak. Keeping Qwilfish healthy can be important in close games when the opponent is saving something like Sharpedo or Scarf Heracross to sweep you. and without Pain Split it gets worn down quite easily. You also messed up the Zapdos EV's a little bit, I assume you meant to put HP instead of SpA.

Suggested Changes:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 SAtk / 156 HP / 4 SDef / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Qwilfish @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 Def / 248 HP / 12 Spd
Impish Nature
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall

The Empoleon EVs outspeed Hitmontop and anything slower. Hope this helps!

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I agree with psychic71C qwilfish needs healing support and the most reliable way of having it is with pain split also i don't see poison jab hitting anything really otherwise great time

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A very nice team- I found a typo though- on Zapdos' set, it says "EVs: 168 SpA / 204 SpA / 136 Spe". I assume that it's supposed to be 168HP/204SpA/136Spe? just wondering, but I don't have anything to say about that.

I agree with PsYch071c for Empoleon. An uncommon set, but seems like it would help. You have 4 fighting resists without Golurk, so I think you'll be alright there. However, that leaves you scarily open to Electric. Yet, Raikou and Zapdos would still be hard-pressed when battling. I don't really know how to fix the team for that without completely changing it around, but...IDK :/

I'm looking at Qwilfish. I know Poison Jab helps for neutral coverage, but what about having Haze there instead? (I see PsYch071c mentioned Pain Split, so I'm trying to be original look smart actually help you think about what's best) Stat boosters never like Haze, something that you normally use Blastoise for. But with Haze, you don't have to worry about Baton Pass, Bisharps, or annoying CMers like Suicune. Just a thought. And poison as an attacking type isn't very good, even for UU- although it's definitely viable, I think Haze is also a good option. Pain Split is cool too, I'd definitely think about that too.

But that's really a nitpicky thing. (I don't even use Qwilfish often) That's the only thing I can say about this team. Very impressive ^_^ GJ

@PsYch071c, between Specially Defensive Mew and Offensive Snorlax Kingdra isn't really a problem. Mew eats up Specs Kingdra, and SubDD Is beaten with Will-o-Wisp and Psyshock.

@Moose V, I still think for Golurk you should be running No Guard with Dynamic Punch, Earthquake, Magic Coat, and Stealth Rocks. Confusion often plays a huge role in games. It allows you better combat things such as Scrafty and Virizion. No Guard does not hurt you often...the situations only being Blizzard outside of hail, Hurricane out of Rain, and such and such. But in these circumstances, you shouldn't be staying in anyways. Earthquake is for obvious reasons. Stealth Rock also. Magic Coat beats taunt users, such as Azelf and Crobat, potentially crippling it.

@PsYch071c I really like using Empoleon and I definitely have other things to take fighting/steel type moves but swapping out my ground type means that, with the loss of my only electric resist, Specs Raikou just became a massive threat as it can freely volt-switch on my whole team and my team's gonna be a bit weaker to volt-turn. If I do decide to go with empoleon, I'll get rid of poison jab on qwil.

@Mew2 The reason I use poison jab is to get nice neutral damage on a lot of things or for grass types that like to switch into qwil:
0 Atk Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 218-258 (67.28 - 79.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Plus the poison chance is nice for things like Xatu. Granted my team can handle most things that poison jab hits in the first place pretty well, put I wasn't using pain split so I decided I might as well go with poison jab.

@Iminyourcloset Thanks for pointing that out, I'll change that right now and ya I meant HP. Here's the thing with haze: against slower set up pokes like BU scrafty, taunt is already doing haze's job so haze wouldn't really help out qwil in that case. For faster set up sweepers like 252 speed bisharp and sub DD kingdra, I think haze would definitely be helpful. What makes me hesitant to use haze, however, is that those 2 set up pokes are the sole pokes in the entire tier that I use qwilfish to stop and therefore haze would only be good for those 2 pokes. Granted, the 4th move on qwil isn't going to be insanely helpful regardless of what I pick but I haven't decided yet if haze is entirely worth it. I'll have to play around with it a bit.

@Aecor You forgot why I got rid of Magic bounce how could you? :) I had a couple reasons for changing up the set (I had that exact moveset before)

1) Froslass is now banned so MB loses a lot of usefulness.
2) I ended up just getting hard walled by ghost, psychic and flying types (and super walled by xatu). I could just spam DP but it only has 8 pp and you know how unlucky I am in the first place so confusion rarely helped me.
3) I felt like running an ability just for one move which hurt me otherwise (can't dodge toxic, fire blast, sleep powder, megahorn, stone edge, etc.) was somewhat of a waste. Granted dynamic punch is one of the only reasons to run no guard but I still felt like it didn't help me as much as iron fist.
4) Golurk dies a little too quickly for my taste. With recovery from drain punch, I can stay alive a bit longer. I also now get perfect coverage from shadow punch and drain punch and can hit cofag which if it's OTR is a massive threat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)