Break The Walls Down

Hello everyone! I just got into real competitive play not too long ago, and have been working on alot of teams lately. I was playing NU for a while and kind of got bored... so I went to OU. I noticed OU is really centralized when compared to lower tier play. As stupid as it sounds the team started out as... I want a team that kills blissey and then sp. sweep. That was the thought process... Anyway, after testing, the team STILL doesn't do what I want it to do. I usually win before my sweeper even hits the field truth be told, usually if I have to use it... it means I'm going to lose. Anyway this is the team.
CHANGES WILL BE IN THIS COLOR

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Adamant
252 HP/ 160 Atk./ 96 Sp. Def.
Encore
Substitute
Stone Edge
Dynamic Punch
-This thing is the best lead for this team I have been able to find, and can win games by itself with some luck. It seems like Im always facing either an Aero lead or a Metagross lead (the occasional t'tar leads just cry at the sight of this thing), with only the later ko'ing machamp if it doesnt hurt itself in confusion, and doesnt use stealth rock. Basically if your stater sets rocks you are losing a poke or two VERY quickly against this team. on every lead besides azelf really(except aero) I will encore the stealth rock if I know they have it, or sub if I know they are packing status. Whats great is lum keeps me awake and I get a sub, then I fire off hits until I cant kill whats in front of me. (Random fact: he has caused every bp team ive ever played to leave by himself due to dynamic punch) This thing destorys any lead not azelf I've run into so far... If they switch in something to kill machamp (say gengar to soak up dynamic punch because its really the only thing besides azelf and starmie that ive seen switch in beyond a bulky ghost) I encore the move they break the sub with and switch to a resist or immunity (believe me at any given time this team has alot of them) Usually he draws out their physically bulky pokemon, and then they get a nasty surprise from this:

Bronzong @ Choice Band
Sassy
252 Hp/ 84 Atk./ 80 Def/ 92.sp. Def.
Trick
Hypnosis
Stealth Rock
Explosion (not a fan so far)
-Thoughts on the set is this: simply put, its the reason I win ninety- nine percent of my games. He has several jobs, and I'll cover them all. I generally go to him if machamp brings out either their bulky ghost or wall (9 times out of 10 this happens) and I then trick. very rarely people will smell a rat and go to a tricker of their own, but its only ever happened if I got hit and they notice I dont have lefties. after I cripple their wall on one side, I then hypnosis. I've noticed people dont switch as often as I thought they would when tricked, but about half of the time he cripples another pokemon. I then stealth rock as they switch one more time... and from their bronzong just becomes a hit taker for me as he will usually have leftovers now. I'm thinking of maybe using explosion to take out a 3rd poke, also this may help against pure stall which is the hardest type for this team to fight... I hate to make my most sturdy hit taker die, but 3 for 1 is great especially since machamp usually nets me a kill as well. Not too much else to say about him. these two work very well together as bronzong sponges everything that can hurt machamp SE.

(pretend its the oven lol)
Rotom- H @ Choice Scarf
Bold
252 Hp/ 168 Def./ 88 Sp.
WoW
Shadow Ball
Over Heat
Trick
- this thing is on the team for several reasons. Its immunities and resists are helpful as well as its rapid spin-blocking-ghostliness, but it (in conjunction with my next poke) shuts down and kills not only several of the most comon threats in OU, but some threats to my sweeper. Rotom counters SCIZOR, and scizor can do NOTHING about it!!!! Almost every team I have played has used him in some way or another, and this thing hard counters it. switch in on the swords dance, and suddenly scizor switches or fries... I will usually WoW the switch, and if it doesn't switch, then scizor just got a lot less scary. more than that it can counter gyara among others kind of infernape, but not really (but my next poke is better for that)

Porygon 2 @ leftovers (ability: trace)
Bold
252 Hp/ 216 Def./ 40 Sp. Atk.
Toxic
Recover
Discharge (he doesnt really attack much so I'm sure I'll like this more)
Ice Beam
-This thing is the trump card of the team. he is bound to take one of my opponents abilities and put it to better use than them. This is standard, but for good reason. It hard counters so many pokes that it is not funny. (Personal experience note: this is my switch in when i encore gengars shadowball w/ machamp) Heatran is popular, and this baby counters heatran almost as well as moltres with the bonus of covering other pokes.
I constantly finding new uses for him, and its so effective for me, my friend runs one now as well.
Ex of trace usefullness:
Salamence, Gyara, Blissey(soaks up the status move and toxics to force switch and then natural grace heals me also), heatran, and levitator on a stall team(blocks toxic spikes) the list goes on
This poke has good synergy with the rest of my bulky pokemon on the team, namely rotom... they work together mid game to weed out the pokemon that they cant take out themselves, and eliminate those that they can while causing all kinds of switches with stealth rock out (sadly for both sides... which is where the pure stall teams can beat me) Not much else to say other than he really is so versatile and makes this team possible.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly
40 Hp./252 Atk./ 216 Sp.
Night Slash
Pursuit
Brick Break
Ice Shard
- this poke does a job that it shouldn't probably be asked to do. It is a wall breaker for this team more than a revenge killer... He alternalty can come in on brittle psychic types that want to mess with machamp (Ex. Azelf and starmie really are the only things I've seen) and OHKO's w/ pursuit for an early kill. however he can also deal with rotom which can be a pain for this team as well as Cresselia. He ties all the loose ends together in the "whats cant I kill department"... the only bad thing is that he doesnt really switch in and live more than two or three times. This was intended to kill blissey until I found out it doesnt always work... and by always I mean it generally doesn't (flamethrower says hi) However, he is an amazing poke that gets revenge kills and provides an outlet from machamp if necessary. Note: This counters latias, no exceptions... end of story (ice shard for random scarfed versions) which is HUGE right now, and that alone can net him a place on this team because it doesn't have an answer otherwise (except for maybe bronzong). This poke def. makes major contributions to the team... especially since he pakes super speed and a priority move.

Latias (just guess what this thing does) @ Life Orb (shes on the original team, but not in the one with edits)
Timid
4 Hp/ 252 Sp.Atk./ 252 Sp.
Calm Mind
Recover
Surf
Dragon Pulse
- Of all the pokes on the team, this one, I feel, should be the first thing (if any) to go. Shes alright and all, but she just isn't the best option as my team doesn't kill blissey as often as I had anticipated. I think Scizor may work better here since his major counter is dead at the hands of weavile, and bronzong usually tricks the physical wall. So many times I've seen spots where scizor would win a match for me when latias falls through (mostly agaist blissey and the pure stall teams w/ toxic users), but as it is now, she is my sweeper because of surf for hippowdon believe it or not... (lol right?) Her speed is great and she CAN cut through a team like butter (just usually not for me)

Scizor @ life orb
Adamant
252 atk./ 24 hp/ 228 spd.
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Quick Attack
Brick Break
- New sweeper in testing, and I just dont like him either. Hes good for a reason, but everyone knows to have a counter to him and latias... so the search for a sweeper continues.

Some final things: Not having a spinner doesnt usually matter except in very long stall matches. Its the hardest matchup for this team. Toxic Spikes is basically a non issue because of all of my levitators plus machamp with the lum berry if I save it. This team functions as one long combo in the early- mid game, and then I just shuffle my immunities and resistances during the mid game, rarley is the late game a factor as one player usually has a solid advantage... not much middle ground (meaning the early game either went well for me or i f'd up). There is one poke this team has real problems with and its lucario... He can KILL me, and the only thing I can do is send out porygon to make him close combat and then switch to weavile and pray ice shard can ko... other than that I'm boned. Also, while not horrible, I generally have to sacrifice a poke to deal with infernape.

Well, hopefully you enjoy what I'm trying to do, and maybe can even help me out... Hopefully Luca( and to some lesser extent gengar) is the only threat I cant easily deal with... I hope this wasn't painful for you to read, and that the pics work (never done this before). Thanks for all reviews/ help.

I really like this team. It's a similar style to my own. One thing I'd recommend is something I've found a lot of success with (and got from a very good player around here, so no credit to me) is Trick Iron Ball on Bronzong. Watch in amazement as their Gengar, Rotom, Gyarados, Salamence, Zapdos (who is a particularly good counter to your team), Skarmory, etc. comes crashing down, loses their EQ immunity and a bunch of speed. This one move can shut down ANYTHING. It also works well since Bronzong can really mess up other Trickers who get a nasty surprise when they try to do their thing on Bronzong. Additionally, Bronzong naturally doesn't mind being super slow (Gyro Ball is insane while holding Iron Ball) and no one seems to even try a ground attack on him (though he can't switch in to them). Also, if Blissey is giving you trouble, slap Explosion onto Bronzong for Hypnosis and then it'll either kill Blissey or set up Weavile for an easy Pursuit finish. This opens up Latias a lot more to easily finish a battle.

I personally don't like Tricking choice items since it really restricts a pokemon's use if they don't want to Trick or if they are needed to do something (like Hypnosis) and then have to switch.

If you want to keep the Trick Choice, try it on Rotom-H. A Trick Specs/Scarf works very well since it lets Rotom revenge kill very well while holding it (Lucario with Overheat?) and it can screw stuff over (like Blissey) when he needs to.

Oh and if Stall Battles are giving you beef, throw Refresh or Substitute onto Latias for Surf. It then becomes impossible to beat Latias one on one (Blissey!) without a physical attacker. Latias is fast enough to sub before anything can status it and CM helps it not break; it's also a better option for sleepers. With regards to Refresh, I love the feeling of just CMing up while my opponent struggles to figure out why Toxic or T-Wave doesn't scare me, then Recover, making them think I'm desperate, then Refresh and go to work easily sweeping through everything (including steels).

Just some thoughts to consider.

Cheers.

I really like this team. It's a similar style to my own. One thing I'd recommend is something I've found a lot of success with (and got from a very good player around here, so no credit to me) is Trick Iron Ball on Bronzong. Watch in amazement as their Gengar, Rotom, Gyarados, Salamence, Zapdos (who is a particularly good counter to your team), Skarmory, etc. comes crashing down, loses their EQ immunity and a bunch of speed. This one move can shut down ANYTHING. It also works well since Bronzong can really mess up other Trickers who get a nasty surprise when they try to do their thing on Bronzong. Additionally, Bronzong naturally doesn't mind being super slow (Gyro Ball is insane while holding Iron Ball) and no one seems to even try a ground attack on him (though he can't switch in to them). Also, if Blissey is giving you trouble, slap Explosion onto Bronzong for Hypnosis and then it'll either kill Blissey or set up Weavile for an easy Pursuit finish. This opens up Latias a lot more to easily finish a battle.

I personally don't like Tricking choice items since it really restricts a pokemon's use if they don't want to Trick or if they are needed to do something (like Hypnosis) and then have to switch.

If you want to keep the Trick Choice, try it on Rotom-H. A Trick Specs/Scarf works very well since it lets Rotom revenge kill very well while holding it (Lucario with Overheat?) and it can screw stuff over (like Blissey) when he needs to.

Oh and if Stall Battles are giving you beef, throw Refresh or Substitute onto Latias for Surf. It then becomes impossible to beat Latias one on one (Blissey!) without a physical attacker. Latias is fast enough to sub before anything can status it and CM helps it not break; it's also a better option for sleepers. With regards to Refresh, I love the feeling of just CMing up while my opponent struggles to figure out why Toxic or T-Wave doesn't scare me, then Recover, making them think I'm desperate, then Refresh and go to work easily sweeping through everything (including steels).

Just some thoughts to consider.

Cheers.
Thanks for the speedy feedback... a couple of things.

Bronzong holds choice band as its the best for wall crippling which is his purpose, and while iron ball is nasty it does nothing for my team really, because I'm not packing EQ or even Earth power choice Band can hinder a zapdos enough for me to kill it. Also, just to clarify, macho brace boosts gyro ball, iron ball just makes you go last, it doesn't boost the power of gyro ball, and it was what I originally ran, before I noticed choice band would be of more use.

I like the rotom idea alot, I'll probably try that out.

currently, I think scizor will occupy my last slot before its all said and done... and then I dont need to worry about stauts because weavile kills the WoW user and bronzong breaks the physical wall. However, Ill give refresh a go, because my current build just is meh for me.

Thanks for the help! Glad you liked the team

Thanks for the speedy feedback... a couple of things.

Bronzong holds choice band as its the best for wall crippling which is his purpose, and while iron ball is nasty it does nothing for my team really, because I'm not packing EQ or even Earth power choice Band can hinder a zapdos enough for me to kill it. Also, just to clarify, macho brace boosts gyro ball, iron ball just makes you go last, it doesn't boost the power of gyro ball, and it was what I originally ran, before I noticed choice band would be of more use.

I like the rotom idea alot, I'll probably try that out.

currently, I think scizor will occupy my last slot before its all said and done... and then I dont need to worry about stauts because weavile kills the WoW user and bronzong breaks the physical wall. However, Ill give refresh a go, because my current build just is meh for me.

Thanks for the help! Glad you liked the team
According to Smogon,

Iron Ball

The holder's Speed is reduced by 50%. If the holder is a Flying-type Pokémon or has the ability Levitate, it is affected by Ground-type attacks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes as if it did not have that type or ability.

This powers up Gyro Ball like Macho Brace does. I know it won't change if you run it or not, but just an FYI (Lagging Tail is the one that makes you go last).

According to Smogon,

Iron Ball

The holder's Speed is reduced by 50%. If the holder is a Flying-type Pokémon or has the ability Levitate, it is affected by Ground-type attacks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes as if it did not have that type or ability.

This powers up Gyro Ball like Macho Brace does. I know it won't change if you run it or not, but just an FYI (Lagging Tail is the one that makes you go last).
oh okay...i stand corrected

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)