Project Break This Team: USUM RU Edition [Week 3 VOTING!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Approved by Arifeen || Banner by AmirAlexander || Hosted by Scizorphobic || OP stolen from here

Welcome to Break This Team: USUM RU Edition! This project follows a simple layout, with the submission and voting stages taking place on a week by week basis. Most metagame defining teams may seem perfect on the surface, but they all have their undeniable flaws, and this project aims to help point out those weak links. Each week, I'll post a team that was built by someone invested in the metagame, and the participants will then try to break this team with a core made of just two Pokémon.

As stated earlier, the project will have two phases each week: the submission phase and the voting phase. The submission phase will have a duration of five days and participants are allowed to post a core with two Pokémon within that time. Then the voting phase will last two days and people can vote for their two favorite cores (this number is subject to change, depending on the number of submitted cores). Lastly, if you win a week, you will be placed in the Hall of Fame, and if you happen to win three weeks, you'll be able to PM me with your own team and it will be submitted in this thread for that other people try to break it!

RULES:
  • Please attempt to not post one-liners. This includes extremely short descriptions. You don't need to write an elaborate essay, but try to at least provide a satisfactory description of the core. Don't post "these Pokémon work well together and I think that it will break this team ", try to elaborate on a good post with an explanation of how the core performs against the team.
  • This is not a counterteaming competition. This is an attempt to get the community to find viable, functional cores that work generally well in the meta which the team of the week is weak to.
  • By extension, try not to post gimmicky sets. Using Flamethrower Aerodactyl to take advantage of a Forretress is NOT a viable choice.
  • Again, participants are only allowed to post one core with only two Pokémon.
  • Please don't vote on your own core, or I'll ask forum moderators to delete your post.
  • Don't rally people to vote for your own core. This is not fair at all to the other participants, and if you're caught doing this then you won’t be allowed to post or even offer any ideas in this thread.
  • A small explanation would be appreciated when voting.
  • Participants are allowed to do reservations, but if they don't post the sets with the explanation within 48 hours, other participants are allowed to take it.
  • In order to encourage creativity and originality between submissions, the same Pokemon can only be used two times maximum per submissions round.
  • Most importantly, have fun!
Post Formatting:
Code:
[Pokémon Icon] + [Pokémon Icon]
[hide=Sets][/hide]
**Insert thorough explanation here**
For a good example of how submissions should be formatted, check out some winning submissions from the previous edition of Break This Team.

No blacklisted users as of now.

Current Team (Week 2):

Thanks roman for providing this week's team ^_^

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Atk / 36 Def / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Rapid Spin

Metagross @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 172 HP / 176 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Protect

Noivern @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb

teambuilding process was pretty simple, we just wanted a barb bo and added sponges donphan / goodra / metagross to deal w most threats and provide rocks / spin. viri is great to break down defensive cores and we went w edge here because it's great on this team to snipe stuff like scarf noivern / lazzle for barb, we've also got decent checks to mons like stoise and zygarde so synthesis wasn't as important here. at this point we just needed some speed control, we ended up going for noivern because the viri matchup was pretty bad and being able to switch in at least once makes the terrible matchup workable. it covers stuff like dd zyg too, which is nice. after that we went back and added some techs to support barb - gunk + ev invest lets donphan ohko viri (you can go more for min but it really cuts into bulk) | meta hp lets you live lo fire from rose and it procs berry after two rounds of rocks + fire from non lo and is in general great for sniping threats or keeping rocks up vs donphan mandi

Good luck and please submit your cores by Monday (March 11th).

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Hall of Fame formatting:
Week x | Winner: [name of the winner]
[Mini sprites of the team of the week]

[Sprites of the winner(s)]

★彡彡彡彡彡彡彡彡彡

Hall of Fame
彡彡彡彡彡彡彡彡彡★

Week 1 | Winner: roman

Week 2 | Winner: Averardo
Week 3 | Winner: x

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Haze / Refresh

sub CM raikou can set up a sub on Mantine and Tangela pretty effortlessly, its biggest issue is that it takes a ton from metagross and needs something to reliably switch into that and chip it down, and also that specs Bug Buzz can do a ton to it if you misread the situation. Milotic soft walls everything on this team except Tangela, it obviously can't do that if it's status'd but this team really has a hard time breaking it without switching to something that Raikou uses as setup bait so I don't think it's the end of the world. Marvel Scale amplifies that, because it means Zydoge can't hope to rely on status chipping it down to give it the ability to break Milotic.

I slashed refresh because Ice Beam + Refresh isn't a set I think is particularly good and I don't think I can recommend that in good faith but it has an even better matchup, though getting burned by Mantine has the same general impact.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Forretress offers Hazards support which he stacks freely against Gross, removal, and a slow Volt Switch to get Honchkrow in safely and break Tangela if hazards are up, Pursuit Metagross, and OHKO Mantine, while Sucker kills Ribombee at +1 plus rocks and non CB ESpeed fails to kill Krow after 1 Brave Bird.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 260-307 (77.8 - 91.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 364-430 (97.3 - 114.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Zygarde-10% Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Honchkrow: 122-144 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ribombee: 179-212 (68.5 - 81.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Synthesis

Thunder Punch AV Machamp puts immense pressure on this team by eliminating Mantine, using Knock Off on Tangela, caring little about Salazzle, and threatening weakened Ribombee with Bullet Punch. Shaymin can take out Tangela altogether, likes not having to worry about Mantine, and further pressures the most exploitable team members in Ribombee and Salazzle to come in. With Stealth Rock up, the team'll be overwhelmed quickly.

avarice

greedy for love
RoAPL Champion
Congratulations to roman for winning the first week of the project, and big thanks for providing the second team n_n! Thank you all for the submissions. Archive will updated shorty.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Atk / 36 Def / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Rapid Spin

Metagross @ Custap Berry
EVs: 172 HP / 176 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Protect

Noivern @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb

teambuilding process was pretty simple, we just wanted a barb bo and added sponges donphan / goodra / metagross to deal w most threats and provide rocks / spin. viri is great to break down defensive cores and we went w edge here because it's great on this team to snipe stuff like scarf noivern / lazzle for barb, we've also got decent checks to mons like stoise and zygarde so synthesis wasn't as important here. at this point we just needed some speed control, we ended up going for noivern because the viri matchup was pretty bad and being able to switch in at least once makes the terrible matchup workable. it covers stuff like dd zyg too, which is nice. after that we went back and added some techs to support barb - gunk + ev invest lets donphan ohko viri (you can go more for min but it really cuts into bulk) | meta hp lets you live lo fire from rose and it procs berry after two rounds of rocks + fire from non lo and is in general great for sniping threats or keeping rocks up vs donphan mandi

You guys have until Monday to submit cores!

Denial

formerly Lunala
is a Past WCoP Champion
This is a really well done team and it was really hard to break with just two mons. The best i could have found was band dpunch bewear + cresselia

Bewear @ Choice Band
Ability: Fluffy
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Superpower
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Cresselia (F) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Moonlight

This team doesnt have a good switch in for bewear and it can deal with barbaracle, instead cresselia can deal with goodra, noivern and virizion.

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb

the only sneasel switchin to the team dies to croak. also np croak lures donphan/gross which can live a hit and kill

avarice

greedy for love
RoAPL Champion
Congrats to Averardo with the close win! And thank you RyLon for this week's team uwu.

Sneasel @ Icium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Icicle Crash

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Synthesis

Noivern @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Substitute
- Toxic

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
Ok hello guys, basically I wanted to build a team with a set that I really liked, Sneasel SD. I decided to put him low kick basically because I can not kill Registeel. In this team I added rhyperior, this was a mon with which I wanted to make a team and I managed it. I called Noivern LO Flamethrower to help Sneasel. Rest finish off a reliable backbone.

You guys have until Sunday to submit cores!

Last edited:
Ninetales @ Firium Z
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power Ice

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

somewhat boring core, ninetails threatens sneasel, rhyp and florg while mandi removes hazards for ninetails and can switch into noivern, metagross, and an araquanid liquidation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)