Breaking News: Kim Jong Il is dead! (so ronery up in heaven)

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

This is a pretty interesting site. It basically shows that the US would dominate any country it took on. In terms of troop numbers the US is behind China but in every other regard, especially air power, they overpower them. America also has the largest navy in the world, not India.They have 11 aircraft carriers which can rather quickly deploy anywhere in the world. Apparently though Russia loves tanks they have like 22,000 of them.

EDIT: I do agree will Colonel M though the US is stretched pretty thin right now. And i doubt that this will turn into US intervention in any way.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://www.globalfirepower.com/

This is a pretty interesting site. It basically shows that the US would dominate any country it took on. In terms of troop numbers the US is behind China but in every other regard, especially air power, they overpower them. America also has the largest navy in the world, not India.They have 11 aircraft carriers which can rather quickly deploy anywhere in the world. Apparently though Russia loves tanks they have like 22,000 of them.

EDIT: I do agree will Colonel M though the US is stretched pretty thin right now. And i doubt that this will turn into US intervention in any way.
it doesn't "basically show" that at all

a simple aggregate of "military strength" ranking a nation top doesn't mean it can ward off all comers np

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Russia's huge ammount of tanks can be attributed to the fact that they use all the tanks they have, even the ones that are obsolete in the modern war (if you look deep enough, you can find WWII tanks held in reserve). While we are on the topic of tanks it should be brought up that while the Russian numbers are massive, one American tank is worth several of its Russian counterparts.

Though we are getting off topic.

I'm going to agree with Alchemator, chances are the handoff will be bumpy, but the son will still be there in the end.

it doesn't "basically show" that at all

a simple aggregate of "military strength" ranking a nation top doesn't mean it can ward off all comers np
I dunno having five times the airpower of any other country kind of helps. The site also says it is for conventional war only. It rules out nukes. So in that regard yes the US could lose but everyone else would to.

Il was a pretty shitty leader honestly. He didn't do anything except threaten other countries with nukes and put his country in a terrible economic state. If his son or whoever comes into power is the same as Il, I wouldn't be surprised to see North Korea slowly die from starvation..

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think there will be a war. At least, not now. Fuck. "Good news troops! We're done in the middle east.... hope you like Korean food!" C'mon guys, c'mon! If anything, I suspect the US will try to bribe him out of power and let S. Korea take over or the UN will step in some way and just occupy the country kind of like the Congo, but with less rape. A coup is also something that could happen, but really the country is such an economic shithole I don't think anyone would want it.

also just felt like saying, i feel like most N. Koreans don't enjoy starving so if there was a war, I don't suspect they would likely put up much of a fight. But I guess it depends on how good their propaganda is and all that... (it's probably pretty good).
Like the people of the Soviet Union, most don't have any say in how the government runs or how the transition of the power will happen. Kim Jong Il's government survived hugely due to his cult of personality (see the concept "Dear Leader") and military power; none of these have changed now.

A coup does not depend on economic status at all; a higher ranking general can just as easily steal power through taking control of the military.

The US is in no position to bribe North Korea out of anything. Last time I checked, we tried to bribe North Korea out of nuclear testing with millions of dollars in aid and food, and we promptly sent a huge "FUCK YOU" to them by exploding a dud nuclear bomb underground. Russia and China are the biggest players now, along with South Korea.

As much as I'd like to see a revolution, the propaganda and brainwashing of the North Korean people makes me think that its unlikely.

Personally, this is my favorite scenario. While China doesn't have the best record of human rights, they will probably keep North Korea's military from doing anything stupid (I consider avoidable war stupid) based on economic concerns.
There will be no revolution. As I said above, the cult of personality is strong in North Korea. Furthermore, the strength of the military makes it virtually impossible.

And as for China, it is my utmost desire that China stays the fuck out. While they're the biggest players in the game at the moment, I have suspicions that China has designs on controlling North Korea with its own puppet government, further complicating the reunification process. It's been decades since the hope of the step of reunification has shown, and I'd rather not China come in and start throwing its weight around. However, it is obviously in their best interest to avoid war, so it's a double edged sword.

Hmm. Given that Un is apparently crazier than his dad, would this be like the Munchkins rejoicing over the Wicked Witch of the East being dead, then finding out that the Wicked Witch of the West is taking over tomorrow?
Worse, it'd be like Glinda the "Good" Witch taking over...

Personally, I think that this will remain peaceful unless we see large-scale riots in the next few days, and we haven't heard of anything yet. Even if the leadership situation has by no means improved, we should at least be grateful that this didn't cause the Second Korean War, because unlike Iraq and Afghanistan, North Korea is capable of causing serious damage outside of their own country if provoked.

A lot of (South) Koreans I've spoken to are worried that the transitional phase will result in more shelling/ something worse happening to South Korea, as a power struggle happens over the leadership. Also, as someone mentioned earlier his son was apparently responsible for the recent more aggressive stance against the South, so its not looking great here. Maybe I shouldn't have signed on for another year.....

I still think that his son is someone on here...
And if he was a Pokemon nerd war would go something like this.

NK: GO AR KEY US!
JP: GO TAKE THAT NOOB KOREAN AR SEE US' HYBER BEAM BLISSEY!
NK: HOW COME IT DIDN'T DO ANY DAMAGE!!!!!!

The next day...

Reporter: Japan has been nuked. Nobody has claimed but, international authorities believe it is NK after it suffered a 6-0 Japan sweep at yesterday's Pokemon tournament ironicly named "Win and you won't get bombed by North Korea"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)