Breeding Perfect Pokemon in Pokemon X&Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you are getting unlucky. The chance of the attack IV is still only a ~17% chance, which actually correlates very closely with your results.

Yes, you are getting unlucky. The chance of the attack IV is still only a ~17% chance, which actually correlates very closely with your results.
Oh, right. I'll just sit here on my head and continue to do my math upside-down :P

Thank you for not ridiculing my poor statistics skills.

So I'm a bit confused about my breeding, perhaps someone can clear this up for me. I have two parents, both Modest Noibats with IVs checked at 31/x/31/31/31/31. One is holding a Destiny Knot, the other an Everstone. Out of the past 20 child Pokemon, only two or three have been 31/x/31/31/31/31. If Destiny Knot is passing down 5 IVs, am I just getting REALLY unlucky and having it pass down the Attack IV 90% of the time?
You should expect about 3 eggs

Parent 1: 31/x/31/31/31/31
Parent 2: 31/x/31/31/31/31

The RNG will select 5 IV's of different stats. There is a 5/6 * 4/5 * 3/4 * 2/3 * 1/2 chance of passing down your desired IV's, or 1/6. For every 20 eggs, you should get a little more than 3. At least that is how I understand it. 20 eggs is a very small sample size. Hatch about 100 and if you get less than a dozen, you are getting unlucky.

Last edited:
The mother has 80% chance to pass on her ability. That's how it was in Gen V anyhows.
This is very close to the results I got from breeding Ralts. When using a synchro mother to breed with my flawless chimecho almost every egg was a synchro before I noticed I had put the wrong ralts in the daycare. When I switched to a decent female trace ralts the results came back the same, the mother's ability was almost always passed on.

So I'm a bit confused about my breeding, perhaps someone can clear this up for me. I have two parents, both Modest Noibats with IVs checked at 31/x/31/31/31/31. One is holding a Destiny Knot, the other an Everstone. Out of the past 20 child Pokemon, only two or three have been 31/x/31/31/31/31. If Destiny Knot is passing down 5 IVs, am I just getting REALLY unlucky and having it pass down the Attack IV 90% of the time?
As said above your results coincide with the chances of passing on that certain stat spread. With a 6/6 Chimecho and a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 timid trace ralts I've only made about 4 or 5 timid trace ralts with the mother's stat spread, 1 timid synchro ralts with the mother's stat spread (and 0 females with the mother's stat spread) out of 34 5/6 flawless hatched ralts from that pairing. I've also gotten several eggs from 5/6 parents that were 4/6 or (rarely) 3/6. It does seem as if the 5 "guaranteed" stats are just rolls like they are normally. Meaning the same stat can be passed on multiple times through overwriting the previous result.

While it is still all RNG dependent I've been having great success using a pair of (evolved)baby pokemon (say Hp,def,Spdef and Atk,Spatk,Spd) or a baby pokemon/safari pokemon using the destiny knot/power item combo to make quick 5/6 or 6/6 flawless males for breeding, Then switching to a female of the correct nature/species and chaining from there. The only issue with this strategy is the 87.5/12.5 male ratio pokemon (especially if you want their DW ability) as finding a female with both superior IVs than the parent/correct nature to pass on can be tedious. Especially when you lack the appropriate safari.

Has anyone else found a relatively good strategy for breeding the high male ratio pokemon like starters?

Last edited:
As said above your results coincide with the chances of passing one that certain stat spread. With a 6/6 Chimecho and a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 timid trace ralts I've only made about 4 or 5 timid trace ralts with the mother's stat spread, 1 timid synchro ralts with the mother's stat spread (and 0 females with the mother's stat spread) out of 34 5/6 flawless hatched ralts from that pairing. I've also gotten several eggs from 5/6 parents that were 4/6 or (rarely) 3/6. It does seem as if the 5 "guaranteed" stats are just rolls like they are normally. Meaning the same stat can be passed on multiple times through overwriting the previous result.
Are you sure your Chimecho and Ralts have those correct IVs or that the baby truly had 3/6? I've done this with hundreds of eggs already and every single breed I've been able to trace back fowl IV'd babies to a corresponding parent's IV and the newly generated IV being in the wrong place, never two newly spawned bad IVs.

Has anyone else found a relatively good strategy for breeding the high male ratio pokemon like starters?
I think with the starters, it's best to hold out until you have a decent potential parent catalog and a solid friend safari capture to work as an initial mother. Cute Charm leads should ease the pain of finding a mother slightly. You can do it with brute force and dedication too, I guess. My example is made up, but I really did breed a flawless Charmander. Started with a flawed x/x/x/x/x/x Male Charizard and a x/x/31/31/x/x Ditto... ouch.

Are you sure your Chimecho and Ralts have those correct IVs or that the baby truly had 3/6? I've done this with hundreds of eggs already and every single breed I've been able to trace back fowl IV'd babies to a corresponding parent's IV and the newly generated IV being in the wrong place, never two newly spawned bad IVs.
The Chimecho I can guarantee is flawless and was a rather easy one to breed, the mother may have been less than 5/6 as I do frequently switch out parents when a better one hatches, and several hours of mindless pedaling can lead to mistakes. I can always double check the mother and attempt this again to confirm. Unless you are talking about the second part of that paragraph with two 5/6 parents (Not the flawless Chimecho/near flawless ralts from the first sentence) sometimes producing 4/6 and 3/6 offspring. That one I am fairly certain of but can also re-test.

I think with the starters, it's best to hold out until you have a decent potential parent catalog and a solid friend safari capture to work as an initial mother. Cute Charm leads should ease the pain of finding a mother slightly. You can do it with brute force and dedication too, I guess. My example is made up, but I really did breed a flawless Charmander. Started with a flawed x/x/x/x/x/x Male Charizard and a x/x/31/31/x/x Ditto... ouch.
I spent a good 6 hours to brute force make a single 5/6 protean froakie (which luckily happened to have the stat spread I wanted) from a 1/6 froakie and a 2/6 ditto, most of the issues stemmed from getting bad RNG. As in almost every female that hatched with 3/6 and 4/6 just happened to be torrent despite the mother being protean. Took forever to find a decent upgrade for the mother.

I suppose the best course of action would be to use baby/safari pokes to breed flawless or near flawless male parents in each egg group first (for reuse) then use cute charm for a safari mother, but that doesn't cover the nature of the parent outside of luck. Maybe just using a synchro for the safari and praying RNG doesn't taunt you.

(Aside from trading for flawless parents) The only other decent option I can see is specifically breeding a decent IV'd male from a 50/50 gender ratio family with the correct nature and using that with a cute-charmed female safari starter. The addition of having to breed for DW abilities with certain starters is what really makes this a pain, but I suppose its something to work towards.

The Chimecho I can guarantee is flawless and was a rather easy one to breed, the mother may have been less than 5/6 as I do frequently switch out parents when a better one hatches, and several hours of mindless pedaling can lead to mistakes. I can always double check the mother and attempt this again to confirm. Unless you are talking about the second part of that paragraph with two 5/6 parents (Not the flawless Chimecho/near flawless ralts from the first sentence) sometimes producing 4/6 and 3/6 offspring. That one I am fairly certain of but can also re-test.
Wow, I misinterpretted that horribly. I thought you meant you were getting 3/6 babies with 6/6 and 5/6 parents. My bad!

Love this! I'm really enjoying getting into breeding properly for the first time, and hopefully this thread will help others do the same.

Here is a list I've the babies we know are capturable in the wild: (taken from my post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ave-3-perfect-ivs.3490056/page-3#post-4895010 )

Smoochum, Tyrogue, Mime Jr., Riolu: Human-Like
Togepi, Azurill, Budew: Fairy
Togepi: Flying
Azurill, Mantyke: Water 1
Chingling: Amorphous
Riolu: Field
Budew: Grass

Note: Togepi and Tyrogue are only capturable in the Friend Safari as far as we know. The rest are found as follows:

Azurill and Riolu: Route 22 (Azurill also on Route 3)
Smoochum: Rare horde battle in Frost Cavern
Mantyke: Route 12 / Azure Bay
Mime Jr.: Horde battle in Reflection Cave
Budew: Route 4
Chingling: Reflection Cave (also on Route 11)

Could you explain the part about synchronize? I'm probably totally wrong but it sounds like keeping a pokemon with that ability and X nature in the party greatly increases the chance of finding one with the same nature in the wild

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That's exactly how it works (you need to lead with it, obviously).

i have a question:

im breeding dratinis right now. so, im a better breeding my dratini with this:

Ditto - #132 (Lax) Limber: 28 - 30 / 31 / 28 - 30 / 24 - 27 / 28 - 30 / 31

or breeding with this Ditto - #132 (Gentle) Limber: 24 - 27 / 1 - 3 / 18 - 20 / 31 / 31 / 31 and rebreed with this Ditto - #132 (Careful) Limber: 31 / 31 / 8 - 10 / 28 - 30 / 31 / 14 - 17

Amazing guide.

When using the IV judge, if you have 5 perfect IV's will he list them all?
Yes, he will say something similar to this:
"... Incidentally, I would say that its greatest potensial lies in its HP. Hmm. And its Defense stat is good, too. Although its Sp. Atk stat is equally good. Its Sp. Def stat seems just as good, though. And, well, its Speed stat is good, too. Stats like those... They simply can't be beat! That's how I judge it."
The stats mentioned have the same IV, while the bolded statement means they are 31.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
If I have, say a Timid Fennekin with Everstone and 0 HP IV's, and a non-Timid Fennekin with Destiny Knot and 31 HP IV's, what is the chance of me getting 31 HP IV's on the baby?

Also, is the chance any different if you give the Destiny Knot Fennekin 0 HP IV's, and the non-Destiny Knot Fennekin 31 HP IV's?

If I have, say a Timid Fennekin with Everstone and 0 HP IV's, and a non-Timid Fennekin with Destiny Knot and 31 HP IV's, what is the chance of me getting 31 HP IV's on the baby?

Also, is the chance any different if you give the Destiny Knot Fennekin 0 HP IV's, and the non-Destiny Knot Fennekin 31 HP IV's?
The chance should be 5/12 (12 possible IVs and Destiny Knot passes down 5). The chance is the same regardless of who is holding the Destiny Knot.

So I keep getting HP dark/dragon on my gastly's either 5/6 or 4/6 for IV's and HP type. The only one that has had a different Hidden Power had an in perfect speed IV(was HP ice). Is it possible to get HP fire with a perfect speed IV this gen? Or is it still to soon to know?

Correction: The hidden ability is not passed if you breed a male with the hidden ability with a female without the hidden ability. I tried breeding my event speed boost Blaziken with an almost flawless female torchic, and to my utter despair, none of the 15 or so babies had the hidden ability. However, when I bred the Blaziken with Ditto, more than half of the babies had Speed Boost. You should update the OP with this.

EDIT: I have no proof because I released all the blaze Torchics, but I'm really not trolling anyone when I say this. If you have experienced otherwise, please let me know.

Correction: The hidden ability is not passed if you breed a male with the hidden ability with a female without the hidden ability. I tried breeding my event speed boost Blaziken with an almost flawless female torchic, and to my utter despair, none of the 15 or so babies had the hidden ability. However, when I bred the Blaziken with Ditto, more than half of the babies had Speed Boost. You should update the OP with this.

EDIT: I have no proof because I released all the blaze Torchics, but I'm really not trolling anyone when I say this. If you have experienced otherwise, please let me know.
Two reports about something I was unsure about myself sounds good enough. Thank you for your input!

I have a little problem with this.

I'm aiming for a bulky dragon dance Gyarados. So far I've bred a Magikarp with three flawless IV's. Defense, Special Defense and Spe. My Ditto has Attack, Defense and Special Defense.

Should I keep this Ditto and breed more until I got that Attack IV or should I replace that Ditto with a 31' HP and Attack Ditto?

I have a little problem with this.

I'm aiming for a bulky dragon dance Gyarados. So far I've bred a Magikarp with three flawless IV's. Defense, Special Defense and Spe. My Ditto has Attack, Defense and Special Defense.

Should I keep this Ditto and breed more until I got that Attack IV or should I replace that Ditto with a 31' HP and Attack Ditto?
Somewhere along the line, you need to pair your Magikarp with a parent that has a flawless HP IV. Once you have a baby that passed down at least its HP and Speed Iv, you can go back to using that Ditto.

Somewhere along the line, you need to pair your Magikarp with a parent that has a flawless HP IV. Once you have a baby that passed down at least its HP and Speed Iv, you can go back to using that Ditto.
Thanks for the reply.

Why should I get the flawless HP first and go back to the Ditto afterwards? Could'nt I just do it with the Attack first? What's the difference in your method?

So I keep getting HP dark/dragon on my gastly's either 5/6 or 4/6 for IV's and HP type. The only one that has had a different Hidden Power had an in perfect speed IV(was HP ice). Is it possible to get HP fire with a perfect speed IV this gen? Or is it still to soon to know?
IF(!) We assume that the HP calculations are the same as last gen then no it's not possible with 6/6, 5/6 or 4/6 IVs.

The possible HPs are: (stats in brackets are the nonperfect/30 IVs)
Dark (perfect IVs)
Dragon: 5/6: (HP, Attack) 4/6: (HP and Attack)
Ice: 4/6: (HP and Defense, Attack and Defense)
Steel: 5/6: (Special Defense) 4/6: (HP and Special Defense)
Grass: 4/6: (HP and Special Attack, Attack and Special Attack, Defense and Special Attack)
Ghost: 4/6: (Attack and Special Defense, Defense and Special Defense)
Electric: 5/6: (Special Attack)
Ground: 4/6: (Special Attack and Special Defense)

Calculations based on Bulbapedia's information.

Thanks for the reply.

Why should I get the flawless HP first and go back to the Ditto afterwards? Could'nt I just do it with the Attack first? What's the difference in your method?
There really isn't any large difference at all. You could breed the IV in either order. The only reason I recommended getting the HP now instead of later is because I wasn't aware of any parents you had on hand and assumed what you'd be getting the HP IV from would be subpar compared to your Ditto.

If you breed on the HP IV later and don't have a good parent, you'll have 31/x/x/x/x/x and x/31/31/x/31/31 parents breeding instead of x/31/31/x/31/x and (at least) 31/x/x/x/x/31 parents breeding. The second scenario has the advantage of likely having a parent greater than 31/x/x/x/x/31 with one or two additional flawless IVs.

Still though, if you have a better parent then 31/x/x/x/x/x, either route is perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)