SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wonder if Breloom can learn Toxic by TM now?
Just checked, no.
From what I looked through, Toxic's distribution has been very heavily limited to specific Poison-type Pokemon. It is no longer a move that just about any Pokemon who can learn TMs can use, and nowadays only a select group of Poison-types can learn it by TM let alone by natural means. There are only a few exceptions, which are Bellossom (who evolves from a Poison-type Pokemon but loses the type upon becoming Bellossom itself) and Wooper and Quagsire (who likely have it because of their toxic membranes and their association with swamps).

From what I looked through, Toxic's distribution has been very heavily limited to specific Poison-type Pokemon. It is no longer a move that just about any Pokemon who can learn TMs can use, and nowadays only a select group of Poison-types can learn it by TM let alone by natural means. There are only a few exceptions, which are Bellossom (who evolves from a Poison-type Pokemon but loses the type upon becoming Bellossom itself) and Wooper and Quagsire (who likely have it because of their toxic membranes and their association with swamps).
Yeah, but the thing is, Breloom does learn Toxic naturally... but not by TM.

It can only learn it by either delaying Shroomish's evolution, or by Move Relearner. Which is funny, because they actually bothered to add Spore to Breloom's level-up learnset... but they forgot about Toxic.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, but the thing is, Breloom does learn Toxic naturally... but not by TM.

It can only learn it by either delaying Shroomish's evolution, or by Move Relearner. Which is funny, because they actually bothered to add Spore to Breloom's level-up learnset... but they forgot about Toxic.
Oh, so that's why this is being brought up.

Either that's a pretty glaring oversight, or they deliberately made a headass decision to not make it TM-able, which is utterly stupid.

Actually I just checked, but Vespiquen is a similar situation: at least as of the previous patches it is capable of learning Toxic naturally but in BDSP not via TM. That needs to be checked too: and if it's still the case as of now then we have a solid three Pokemon with this problem.

I finally bothered to look over the Defog learnlist to compare with USUM and oof. Per Bulbapedia,

"Charizard, Ledian, the Torchic evolutionary line, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Volbeat, Illumise, the Swablu evolutionary line, Castform, Chimecho, Rayquaza, Carnivine and Rotom are all unable to learn Defog in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl."

Of all of these, only Charizard was able to use the move in base DPPt. The decision to just not take into account later gen movelearns is a puzzling one.

Toxic is obviously another one we don't need to go over. But what other moves were
1) Teachable in DPPt
2) Teachable in at least one game since
3) NOT teachable in SwSh
4) Teachable in BDSP

such that comparisons could be made?

I know Rock Climb is a move that got NEW learns so I am trying to figure out what the hell their ethos was with this. nvm this was just wrong and me misreading another post rofl

EDIT: I isolated all the moves that are teachable in BDSP but not SwSh, and I'm checking their learns one by one. SO FAR:

Aerial Ace: Slowbro learns it Gen 5+, and also in BDSP
Cut: No changes
Defog: Listed above
Dream Eater: Venomoth gained it in LGPE, does not keep it in BDSP
Explosion: Haven't found any changes
Flash: Haven't found any changes
Focus Punch: Shroomish gained it in Gen 6, does not keep it in BDSP
Pluck: Haven't found any changes
Psych Up: Hoppip line gains from DPPt, Mawile learns in interim but does not get in BDSP (was an egg move for it in Gen 4 even, but no TM compat!)
Recycle: No changes
Roar: No changes
Rock Climb: No changes (no interim to compare to, so learnlist is exactly DPPts)
Rock Polish: Haven't found any changes
Rock Smash: Haven't found any changes
Roost: Mantine gains from DPPt, no other changes
Shock Wave: Haven't found any changes
Strength: No changes
Torment: Haven't found any changes
Water Pulse: No changes

The long and short: Gains were respected about half the time, with the biggest losses being Defog and Toxic, two of the most competitively useful moves. Pretty funny!

I am going out on a limb and saying "literally none of the TM problems got changed"
On that note I DID check if Breloom Toxic or Defog Rotom were changed and they were not

Last edited:
Can confirm they fixed the moveset for Delcatty. Feint Attack is now Covet

I don't feel like going through Fantina's battle right now but I imagine that this means they did fix Banette to not have Snatch anymore.

Confirmed, subbed out for Payback.

I can't check Lucas' Milotic or Dawn's Mr. Mime with my starter choice so I guess I'll go check the Psychic

I finally bothered to look over the Defog learnlist to compare with USUM and oof. Per Bulbapedia,

"Charizard, Ledian, the Torchic evolutionary line, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Volbeat, Illumise, the Swablu evolutionary line, Castform, Chimecho, Rayquaza, Carnivine and Rotom are all unable to learn Defog in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl."

Of all of these, only Charizard was able to use the move in base DPPt. The decision to just not take into account later gen movelearns is a puzzling one.

Toxic is obviously another one we don't need to go over. But what other moves were
1) Teachable in DPPt
2) Teachable in at least one game since
3) NOT teachable in SwSh
4) Teachable in DPPt

such that comparisons could be made?

I know Rock Climb is a move that got NEW learns so I am trying to figure out what the hell their ethos was with this.

On that note I DID check if Breloom Toxic or Defog Rotom were changed and they were not
I know, I checked breloom myself in this very page :V

it's what made me believe that no they didn't tweak these things.

Confirmed, subbed out for Payback.

I can't check Lucas' Milotic or Dawn's Mr. Mime with my starter choice so I guess I'll go check the Psychic
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...se-19th-nov-2021.3679043/page-99#post-9061108

likewise, though I'm kicking myself for not crossposting it here.

Sadly I'm right there with you on Dawn's Mr Mime: I chose Piplup.

I haven't actually triggered the Dawn battle at all, which is why I was wondering where the data dump people are on this. I really should just learn it myself at this point. Also yeah I noticed you'd done the Breloom, then promptly forgot and wrote the rest of the post anyway, oops!

I haven't actually triggered the Dawn battle at all, which is why I was wondering where the data dump people are on this. I really should just learn it myself at this point. Also yeah I noticed you'd done the Breloom, then promptly forgot and wrote the rest of the post anyway, oops!
I am a little surprised none of the usual suspects pulled that data, yeah. Holidays, i suppose!

Has the PC Search function always had all moves available in it? I was searching for False Swipe and noticed False Surrender was in the list.

There's also stuff like Feint Attack & Fairy Lock but those kind of have to be there to accomodate Pokemon transferring from older generations (& Smeargle, specifically).

Has the PC Search function always had all moves available in it? I was searching for False Swipe and noticed False Surrender was in the list.

There's also stuff like Feint Attack & Fairy Lock but those kind of have to be there to accomodate Pokemon transferring from older generations (& Smeargle, specifically).
Yeah though in most games they leave out event exclusive moves until they're obtained, like Celebrate and Hold Hands aren't shown from what I can see. Also they seem to have left out all the abilities that don't appear.
EDIT: Also the mythical exclusive moves are usually hidden by this iirc.

Last edited:
Yeah though in most games they leave out event exclusive moves until they're obtained, like Celebrate and Hold Hands aren't shown from what I can see. Also they seem to have left out all the abilities that don't appear.
Well I guess with home compatability they need some handling in the event they give some pokemon a move through event, so I suppose it tracks. Still funny to see all these moves you just cannot ever get though.

PC Search??

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57058/~/how-to-update-pokémon-brilliant-diamond-and-pokémon-shining-pearl

Ver. 1.2.0 (Released February 21, 2022)

Union Room functions have been expanded.
The maximum number of players you can play with via local or internet communication in Union Rooms has been increased to eight. Also, by selecting Greeting or Capsule Decorations, you can show each other your Trainer Cards or Capsule Decorations.
Additional Colosseum battle feature has been added.
Enter the Colosseum on the 2nd floor of a Pokémon Center to battle with other players using custom rulesets.
In the Colosseum, you can set rules, such as the number of Pokémon to send into battle as well as their levels, and play Single Battles, Double Battles, or Multi Battles via local or internet communication.
Pokémon Trading and Battles
Some Pokémon acquired via unintended methods or illicit modification now cannot be used in Link Trades or Link Battles.
Fixed some issues for more pleasant gameplay.

No GWS yet but according to Serebii they added the Jubilife TV ranking room.

EDIT:
https://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2022/02/220222_gm01.html
The Japanese patch notes clarify it is 8 local and 16 online players in the Union Room and that the GWS/GMStation will be added in the future.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)