ORAS RU Broke 'Mons are Broke

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top

~
When ORAS RU first began, I just got back to playing 'mons and wasn't quite sure what was good and not good. As SPL week 1 came around, it seemed very clear that not many players knew what to use either and thus just put a bunch of broken mons together and call it a team. I always thought this way of team building was elementary and will produce average teams. But I thought to myself "might as well give this a try until I learn the meta." Consequently, I made this team around the philosophy of "Use broke mons, Counter broke mons". I didn't want to use the obvious broken mons like Serp and M-Pidgeot, since I knew that people would be way over-prepared for these mons. Instead, I still chose broken mons, just ones that weren't obvious to everyone. Que Pangoro and Cresselia. Then I slapped on Boufallant and Lanturn because they hard countered Serp and M-Pidgeot respectively. I saw Spirit use SR Camerupt in SPL and it seemed like a cool mon so I slapped that on too. Lastly, I added scarf durant. I considered Scarf Durant to be one of the best mons in ORAS RU because of its ability to just smash offense (granted it hits :[). And that is how team Broke 'Mons was born. While this team has had no major tournament success, it has peaked #1 (if ladder peaks mean anything) and smashes SilentVerse in test battles hue.
~​
In Depth Analysis:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

M-Camerupt is one strong-ass motherfucker. Besides being a much needed stealth rocker for the team, it also comes in on many pursuit trappers that try trap cress (Escav, spiritomb). If Camerupt gets a free move to fire off a sheer force boosted fire blast or earthpower, chances are something is dying. I had will-o-wisp on camerupt at first but the most common switch ins are special waters like Mola and Jellicent. Toxicing a Mola is 100% better than just burning it because it prevents Mola wish stalling vs Pangoro and such. Toxic is also useful for toxicing unsuspecting set up mons like subCM cress or SubBU Braviary. The 16 speed evs is mainly for speed creeping Rhyperior before camel mega evolves. Overall, Camerupt is super important for providing SR and preventing bugs like Durant and Escav from spamming their Bug move.

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy/Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Parting Shot/Ice Punch
- Gunk Shot

Introducing broken 'Mon #1. If not pangoro, then the move Knock Off is broken in and of itself. Spamming knock off is so great at wearing down defensive teams. The combination of toxic + no leftovers from knock off is so effective at wearing down Mola and other defensive mons. Against offense teams, there's not even a mon that can switch in. Ice punch and Iron fist Pangoro was used before the tier shift because Gligar was still in the tier, but now that it is gone Scarppy and Parting Shot are it's best moves. I decided to invest fully in speed because its better to try to speed tie with other adamant Pangoro's and the extra bulk would be a waste.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

Aaaand broken 'mon #2 is here. Cresselia does anything and everything. It can switchin to the strongest special attacker in the tier, Dragalge, and one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier, Hitmonlee. The set allows it not only allows it sweep but reliably switch into threats, thanks to moonlight. Moonblast is necessary because of the prevalence of Pangoro and 124 speed is a must to outspeed jolly Pangoro. While it is true that Cress has a relatively high number of checks/counters almost all of those counters are destroyed by either Pangoro or Camerupt. This allows me to easily pivot to these mons and fire off strong ass moves.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper/Soundproof
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Head Charge
- Earthquake

Bouffalant was one of the suprise 'mons for me. Besides being the best counter to Serperior, it also smashed defensive teams. SubSD can set up against many defensive mons and has the bulk to not get its sub broken. 84 Speed is to speed creep the oh-so-prevelant alomomola and get up a free Sub as they toxic. While it may not get to sub up against offensive teams, an adamant head charge still does an ton of damage to anything that tries to switch in. After Serp was banned, I've been toying with Soundproof to help deal with Specs Exploud and Specs Meloetta. I'm not sure if bouf is that great in this meta but I haven't found, or really looked for, a better replacement.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 25 Spe
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Protect

Lanturn is the mega pidgeot/moltres/fletchinder counter and is a great pivot in general. Toxic is again to hit spdef mola's and incoming mons such as Virizion. Because Lanturn has very limited recovery, protect is good for gaining that extra bit of leftovers recovery. Protect is also good to scout things like CB Pangoro to see if it knocked off or superpowered. The 25 Speed IVs is pretty important because it allows lanturn to go after Mola allowing free switchins for Pangoro and Boufallant without fear of being toxiced. A slow volt-turn is so incredibly good on this team because it allows the heavy hitters to get in for free and fire off one of their high powered STABs.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Iron Head

Last, but definitely not least, is Durant. I have this sort of love-hate relationship with Durant. On one hand, it is one of the best scarfers in the tier and completely smashes offense. On the other hand, once in a while it will miss when I just needed that one attack to land that will cause me to lose the game. Despite the misses, there is no other mon that can do what Durant does. It has the power and speed to single handedly beat heavy offense. Many of its counters (like Doublade) are completely smashed by pangoro and camerupt. While I have tried baton pass over rock slide, getting the suprise ko on moltres is generally more important than the situational use of baton pass.

Conclusion:
Overall, this team is extremely deadly and capable of beating practically any team. Even the biggest threats like Dugtrio+Moltres, Tomb+Hitmonlee, and certain Spikestacking teams can be played around. Not only was this team super effective before the tier shift (peaking #1) but it is still extremely good in the current meta (currently #1), which is a testament to the teams well-built design. While this team has not obtained any tournament success, considering I'm not in spl, I truly believe it could beat any team. This team has also convinced me that both cress and pangoro are broken xd. Anyways I hope you enjoy this team, which started out as some team I made in literally five minutes.

Shout-outs:
Basically anyone in the #rarelyused room deserves a shout-out for making Rarelyused so enjoyable, namely:

Team Import:
Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Parting Shot
- Gunk Shot

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Head Charge
- Earthquake

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 25 Spe
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Protect

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Iron Head

Last edited:
I didn't get a notification about this :[

I suggest maybe ancient power, at least being slashed on camerupt. Basically its only merit is OHKOing moltres and fletch on the switch-in, but toxic isn't /that/ useful either. If anything, I'd run wisp as a status move in the last slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)