Other Metagames [BSS] Asking for your advice regarding an average team

Hello, I truly hope that I am posting this RMT in the correct forum. If I am not, I am sorry.

After having bred some of my favorite Pokémon, I decided to go for the Battle Stadium. Until this morning, I was more or less satisfied with my score of W26/L21, knocking at Hyper Ball's door; however, this morning, I was humiliated multiple times, resulting in a score of W28/L30. Since I am not too familiar with the current metagame, I do not want to spend too much time breeding possibly useless Pokémon; therefore, I am asking for your advice regarding an average team, both in general and concrete regarding the "What do I struggle with?" section at the bottom of this post.

RATE MY TEAM!

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Pyro Ball
- Court Change
- High Jump Kick

The standard Cinderace that serves primarily as a pivot, which is why it is often my starter. Interestingly, there has not been any situation in which I got to use Court Change, there has been no Spikes and almost no Stealth Rock users at all. Nevertheless, on the rare occasions where I dynamaxed Cinderace, Max Guard served as a useful option to out-stall my opponent's dynamaxed Pokémon.

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

I am not entirely sure what I am supposed to think of Inteleon. There were multiple moments where I thought "You are heavily underrated!", only to experience thoughts of "Why have I even considered you?" shortly afterwards. Scald is Inteleon's STAB that may cause burn, Air Slash is for any Grass, Fighting and Bug Pokémon and Max Airstream when dynamaxed, Ice Beam is for any Grass, Flying and Dragon Pokémon, and Shadow Ball is for any Psychic and Ghost Pokémon. When I have to snap out of Choice Specs' lock, I simply dynamax. And yes, I was incredibly lucky and hatched a Shiny 6IV Inteleon.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Interestingly, Rapid Spin does not serve its actual purpose of eliminating entry hazards, but as a Speed boost that has been crucial on multiple occasions. I thought of replacing Swords Dance, since without a Speed boost, it is simply too slow to actually start sweeping (and Fire moves seem to be obligatory on [insert random special sweeper]), at least from my experience. I refrain from dynamaxing Excadrill, since the bulk it receives from Max Steelspike and Max Quake does not suffice to actually out-stall sweepers with very effective moves.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

At first, I underestimated Ferrothorn's actual bulk, having made the idiot that I am too careless, which has resulted in too many unnecessary OHKOs and 2HKOs. I rarely manage to set Spikes, and I have not managed to use Curse at all, which is why I thought of replacing it with Power Whip. Since Fire moves seem to be an omnipresent threat, Ferrorthorn often remains not used, even though I really want to use it.

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Psychic Fangs
- Fishious Rend

Dracovish's sole purpose is to spam Fishious Rend as often as possible. While I am still overwhelmed at the damage it does (even without an Adamant Nature or a Choice Band), it is easily crippled by burn or paralysis. Crunch is for Jellicent (theoretically, since I have not encountered any Jellicent yet), Outrage is Dracovish's other STAB, and Psychic Fangs is for Toxapex. I refrain from dynamaxing Dracovish too, since it loses the Choice Scarf's Speed boost.

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Dragon Darts
- Flamethrower

I vehemently object to Draco Meteor, since I would force myself to switch out and possibly lose momentum; therefore, I use Dragon Darts and a Hasty Nature. Interestingly, when Dragon Darts is the first move I use, people seem to believe that my Dragapult is a physical sweeper, which has occasionally resulted in advantageous situations I would not have gotten into with Draco Meteor. Thunderbolt is for Gyarados and Toxapex, Shadow Ball is Dragapult's STAB, and Flamethrower is for Corviknight and Ferrothorn. I prefer reliability over power, which is why I do not consider Thunder and Fire Blast as alternatives.

WHAT DO I STRUGGLE WITH?
  • Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf. It outspeeds Excadrill, eliminating the possibility of using Mold Breaker. It outspeeds and OHKOs Inteleon, and those Pokémon it can't OHKO either receive a Choice Scarf or it pivots, gaining momentum.
  • Dragapult @ Choice Scarf. It is able to at least 2HKO most of my team, especially when dynamaxed.
  • Trick Room. Whenever I spot a Dusclops or a Hatterene, I start panicking. As I mentioned before, I am not too familiar with the current metagame. My current strategy is to somehow out-stall and out-predict until Trick Room wears off, which often results in wasting dynamax, since Max Guard is my only protection.
  • Weakness Policy. Whenever I spot a Tyranitar or especially a Togekiss, I dynamax, use Max Guard, then I use a not very effective move (ideally Max Airstream), and then I use Max Guard again. Thus, I manage to avoid Weakness Policy, but I am highly dissatisfied with this strategy, since I waste 2 dynamax turns just protecting, and it is difficult to predict, at least from my experience.
I am looking forward to your suggestions, thank you in advance.

Last edited:
While I'm not too versed in the BSS meta, I'm pretty sure entry hazards are almost a non-factor in anything but stall matchups. Thus, Cinderace is pretty useless, Spikes on Ferrothorn is a waste really and Rapid Spin on Drill is a no. While I can't say more than that, it should make a difference.

I'm not very versed in the BSS meta either, but I have watched some BSS content on youtube. As you and the previous comment noted, hazards and hazard removal don't seem useful for this tier. In addition, I feel like you could replace Intelion with something better. If status is an issue for you, you could try an Aromatherapy user like Clefable. Clef could be a good addition to this team. A strong, bulky Fairy type that gives you different forms of support with Wish and/or Aromatherapy. You could also add Power Whip and Knock Off to Ferrothorn to replace Spikes and Curse. Or you could add a screens user if you're going for a set up and sweep team; Grimmsnarl or Alolan Ninetails could be good for that. They team just doesn't seem to have synergy, but I could be completely off base because I'm not really into this tier.

Hopefully as someone who actually plays a bit of BSS, I can help you out a bit

The Cinderace set isn't very good, the reason for this is that BSS due to being 3v3 is a lot faster paced than a 6v6 meta. Therefore a lot of the stuff based around hazard control is irrelevant. Stealth Rock can still be useful in BSS as can Dual Screens, but Heavy Duty Boots are a nono, Cinderace struggles to switch into anything for free and you're not going to get as much value out of that item since Hazards aren't set up most games. Court Change can work in very niche circumstances but honestly Id change it for sucker punch, which helps in the dragapult matchup. Other than that, possible different items would be scarf, sash, expert belt, life orb would all be better.

Id say the excadrill set is similar, Id want a rock coverage move. Rapid Spin is almost useless, you are going to get off a hit and that's it. With the priority spam its so hard to sweep with this Drill set in the way you want it to. A lot easier way is to have Sand Rush and set up Sand, but that comes with its downsides. You either want Steel/Ground/Rock + SD or Steel/Ground/Rock Tomb + Stealth Rock where Rocks are mainly there to break sashes.

Ferro, getting rid of spikes is a must and I'd add a grass type move or Body Press. With Lefties, you might want to have Protect, which can also help vs. Dynamax mons.

As an overall team, Lax seems to be a huge problem especially trick room. The main setter of TR funnily enough is Mimikyu. Togekiss autowins vs. this team, gyara does a lot of work if its in vs. a lot of pokemon, scarf rotom-h as you say is a nightmare, opposing dragapult also claims kills. First thing Im looking for with this team is a Togekiss Check, a rotom forme probably. Double water seems redundant, get rid of one of vish/inteleon tbh Id probably rid of both and then put in Rotom-W and Togekiss, perhaps have a bulky WP Dragapult or even scarf. Thats what Id look towards as a start

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)