ORAS OU Build Around A Random Pokemon #1- The Lie Detector

upload_2016-2-27_19-40-55.png
A Liepard Team

Heh, second Rate My Team.
This is a project I've started recently. I randomize a Pokemon using http://randompokemon.com, set to "Ubers" off, "NFEs" off, and randomize 1 Pokemon. I then build an OU team around that Pokemon. Expect to see four more RMT's of this style in the future. All I ask when editing my team is to not remove Liepard from its cast.

A Quick Glance

I like legendaries, OK?

Teambuilding Process

Of course, this team started with Liepard. Few use it in OU, but Prankster and utility in Knock Off allow it to be decent in a niche function in OU.

I figured that with Liepard providing plenty of opportunities to set up, and Thunder Wave allowing slower Pokemon to set up, I considred two Fairy-Type pokemon that would also provide resistances: Mega-Altaria and Nasty Plot Togekiss. I chose Altaria because I feel it had more potential.

Victini is a great wallbreaker. I needed something to get past steels and bugs, (especially Mega-Scizor), and I needed a special attacker. Victini fit the slot, so I stuffed it in there.

Keldeo is one of the best Pokemon in OU right now. It is S, gives me a weakness to Psychic that is covered by Liepard, provides more special attacking prowess (but also physical), and gives me a resistance to Water.

So I was super weak to fairy, and my mons needed some SR and cleric support. Jirachi fit, so I put it in.

In my opinion, a Choiced Pokemon is usually a good choice, and I needed something that hit real hard, so I added in Porygon-Z. However, I may replace him.

In Depth

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Liepard, the star of the team. This set is the standard NU one. The point of this set is to slow down foes, remove their items, pivot out, and create set up opportunities.
With Encore, Liepard traps the opposing Pokemon into a status move such as Roost, giving Liepard free time to paralyze them, switch out, remove their item, or let something set up. Encore is particularly annoying with Prankster.
Knock Off, when coming off STAB and Black Glasses, even off of a poor 275 attack stat, deals decent damage and is crippling to the foe. Knock Off removes scarfers for my team, and deals with the Ghost and Psychic weaknesses I have.
U-Turn is one of the two pivot moves, and allows Liepard to use its excellent speed tier to pivot out of slightly slower threats such as Mega Pinsir, Garchomp, and all the base 100 speed Pokemon. U-Turn deals decent damage even when unboosted to most non-resistant Pokemon, and gets Liepard out safely, and keeps up the momentum on my team.
With Thunder Wave, which allows some of the slower members of my team to catch up and take down opposing Pokemon they would be revenge killed by normally.
Liepard provides a nice unpredictability because most OU-UU players never see it.
Overall, I realize that Tornadus-T would probably do this better, but Liepard was the random Pokemon chosen.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Roost

Altaria, the big fluffy cloud. This set, the standard DD set, allows Altaria to capitalize on the free moments Liepard provides with Encore, and also the paralysis which allows the slow Altaria to outspeed many threats.
Natural Cure is the chosen base ability because it acts as a status sponge for my team. An Adamant nature is used because Altaria prefers more power over speed, because it is unlikely that it will be hanging around without a DD up.
DD is obvious, it allows Altaria to become very powerful in just one turn of setup, usually on a free turn from Encore.
Return is Altaria's most powerful STAB move, effectively reaching 184 BP with STAB off of 350 Attack. It allows Altaria to plow through basically anything that doesn't resist it.
Earthquake is valuable coverage against Poisons, Steels, and stuff like Heatran, and is very powerful too.
In the last slot, I wonder a lot what to run. When I first tried Pursuit out, I thought: "This is awesome! Why does nobody use this!" but now I often have Roost instead of Pursuit. Pursuit is a weak 40 BP attack, and most Pokemon that would be switching out of Altaria resist Pursuit, so I think that Roost is a better option, because Psychic and Ghost types are rare and already checked quite well by my team.
In conclusion, Altaria is a great Pokemon in OU and fits nicely into my team.

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Thunder
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

So. My team was weak to Steel and Bug types, so I decided to implement a fire type. Victini is one of the only relevant fire types in OU, and I decided I wanted a special wallbreaker, so I chose Victini. In my opinion, special Victini is one of the best sets, along with stallbreaker, because it does not suffer those stat drops from V-Create. Victini is truly underrated, and it is very cute, so I put it on.
Victory Star works well with the low accuracy moves I have here, boosting their accuracy a decent amount. A Timid nature is preferred for as much speed as possible.
Blue Flare is an extremely powerful STAB move, reaching 195 BP, and allows Victini to take down Pokemon such as Scizor with little difficulty.
Thunder is used to check the water types that threaten Victini, and with the boost from Victory Star, reaches decent accuracy. It helps especially against Keldeo.
Psyshock gives Victini its double STABs, allows it to defeat Fighting and Poison types that might be threatening to my team, and allows it to bypass special walls *cough*
chansey *cough*.
Finally, in the last slot, Focus Blast allows Victini to deal with problematic Dark and Rock Types.
I may consider running Glaciate over Psyshock.
Victini is a great Pokemon and fits on my team extremely well.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Keldeo. Keldeo is S. Is that a good enough reason to have it on my team? No?
It's because Keldeo is so splashable. It fit perfectly as another special wallbreaker and helps patch up my weaknesses to things such as Tyranitar and ground types. Life Orb is the best item for Keldeo in my opinion, and it allows me to have decent power but also the freedom to switch moves. This is a very standard set, yet very effective.
Secret Sword is a powerful STAB move that hits high-SpD Pokemon very strongly, and is useful as a more accurate fighting move.
Scald is Keldeo's main tool- it is a powerful STAB attack that allows Keldeo to cripple most physical threats to my team, especially Ground types.
Hydro Pump is used when Scald may not suffice to take down a more healthy Pokemon, however at the cost of some accuracy.
Finally, Icy Wind provides some much-needed coverage against Flying types and Grass types, and also allows Keldeo to slow down threats that outspeed it (or my team).
In conclusion, Keldeo is a helpful addition to my team and I think it fits quite well.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 136 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Wish
- Iron Head

At this point I realized I wanted three things- a Stealth Rock setter, a Wish passer, and something to deal with fairies. Of the Pokemon that fit the first two-there were seven. These were:
Clefairy, who is outclassed
Clefable, who has better use with a different set
Jigglypuff, LOL
Wigglytuff, who I actually considered for a second
Chansey, who has better use
Blissey, who is worse than Chansey
and Jirachi, who might have better use elsewhere but was the only one that fit the bill for all three.
Item and ability are fairly obvious. The strange EV spread is so that Jirachi is tanky on both defenses, and allows it to outspeed things such as Adamant Mega-Scizor. A Careful nature is used so that Jirachi can absorb the usually-special fairy type attacks better.
Since Jirachi is my Stealth Rock setter, it needs to learn Stealth Rock. duh
Because Jirachi is usually my lead, it can use Protect to scout and allow Leftovers recovery.
Wish is used to pass wishes to low health teammates and also keep Jirachi alive, especially with Protect.
I chose Iron Head over U-Turn to allow Jirachi to use its hax skills and actually deal damage to fairy threats.
Jirachi is a great Pokemon and even though I dislike having 2 psychic Pokemon on my team, I feel that Jirachi is an important Pokemon that glues my team together.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

I have considred using Dragalge in this spot. Porygon-Z is an extremely powerful Pokemon, and he fit the slot for a Choice user, so I stuck him on. Ability and EVs are obvious, and the Modest Nature maximizes his power.
Tri Attack is his most powerful STAB, reaching a tremendous 180 BP with a 30% chance of a nasty side effect, which coming off an effective 608 SpA (choice specs), can be considered "scary". Few Pokemon are prepared to switch into this.
Bolt-Beam provides nice coverage against most threats and is simply useful, and Shadow Ball deals with Ghost types and adds extra coverage.

WIP
is a real threat and can easily 6-0 my team unless Liepard manages to T-Wave it, in which case it can be defeated by Jirachi and Porygon-Z.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Liepard: 794-936 (295.1 - 347.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Dies.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 440-518 (151.2 - 178%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Altaria can OHKO back, but it needs a DD up to outspeed.
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 210-248 (61.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Speed tie, and 2HKO either way.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 500-590 (154.7 - 182.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
While Keldeo outspeeds Mega Gardevoir, it cannot OHKO it so it loses.
0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 246-290 (88.8 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Yay, happy! Jirachi 1-2HKOs Mega Gardevoir while it can only 3HKO back.
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 396-468 (127.3 - 150.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mega Gardevoir outspeeds and OHKOs, unless it misses. Porygon-Z can OHKO one that has taken at least 3% damage before.

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Thunder
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 136 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Wish
- Iron Head

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Thank you for reading!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)