SM OU Bulky offense based on Tapu-Bulu+Kartana+Lopunny-Mega

Hi everyone,
I'm new into Pokemon Showdown and I enjoy it a lot so far, especially the OU tier (so much originality).:psynervous:
I could have take a good team from some Showdown youtubers or some threads .. but I prefer to build my own team, I love the process and I find easier to use my own team because I personnaly thought about it.
But I'm a beginner so I would like some advice from older players so please feel free to do any comments.

Few things about my "play style" :
- I don't like passive pokemon.
- I like to have some surprise set on my team.
- I need speed control as a safe net (I'm not really to anticipate).

• The offensive core:

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Superpower
    - Nature's Madness

I love offensive Tapu-Bulu, it puts so much pressure with the combo nature's madness on the switch + boosted wood hammer , a lot of classic Bulu's checks can get reck by this combo (if you known what I mean Landorus :psysly:) !!
    Horn Leech for the easy recovery on weak pokemon and superpower for the coverage. Assault vest to allow Bulu to switch be hard to kill. And full speed of course to outspeed passive defensive pokemon.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 19 Atk
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Knock Off
    - Swords Dance

This is my favorite pokemon and my favorite set for it , it can surprise a lot ! So the idea is to set up a SD on passive pokemon that cannot hit Kartana (Ferrothorn is the best for this) , hit hard and punish switches ... but the best part is when you manage to get a kill , Beast Boost is going to increase the speed ! Then you have a +2 Attack + 1 Speed really dangerous Kartana.
    The hard part is to not be greeady because Kartana can be killed quite easily on the special so even when fully boosted I try to save my Kartana if my defensive core is still alive.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Return
    - High Jump Kick
    - Power-Up Punch

Classic Lopunny set , not a lot to say : can hit hard , priority move , amazing speed control. This pokemon can put a lot of pressure and reckt ennemy team that has been weakenned. It is good to wallbreak or to sweep at the end depending of the ennemy team.

• The defensive/utility core:

Heatran @ Chople Berry
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic

Classic defensive Heatran set, the only surprise is the berry that reduce fighting move so I can surprise weak ennemy wallbreaker that relly on focus blast to kill Heatran or fighting type that ar weak to fire STAB. I prefer Lava Plume as a defensive attack because of the 30% chance to burn and the better PP pool (compare to Magma Storm).

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Defog

Classic defensive Rotom-W set, it is my emmergency defoger in case of a Sticky team or a Hazard team. I think it goes well with heatran and it is not to passive.

• Type coverage and speed control:

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Water Shuriken
    - Extrasensory

I'm not really sure about this pokemon for this slot but it has a good speead and amazing coverage so i feel it goes well as a speed control type coverage pokemon. But I'm open if you have explained suggestions.

Thx everyone.

Last edited:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, nice team. It has a few cool ideas that I like. Although it still has some weaknesses, such as Hawlucha since Rotom can't take a +2 HJK very well. Certain variants of Kartana can be annoying aswell, although Chople Berry Heatran is a nice lure.

MAJOR CHANGE

145.png >479w.png: First I suggest using Zapdos over Rotom-Wash, this gives you a better answer to Hawlucha and Kartana. Zapdos also has a more reliable recovery so you have a more consistent defogger. Something to note is that this adds another Ice weakness to the team which could make Kyurem harder to deal with.

MINOR CHANGES

assaultvest.png787.pngEV spread change: next I suggest that you use the standard AV Bulu spread. It has enough speed for Tyranitar and enough attack to 2HKO Clefable. The rest is in bulk which can help you take on things like Zygarde, Tapu Koko and Greninja better.

fightiniumz.png798.pngJolly > Timid: As cool as speed boosting Kartana is, I think the standard one with max Attack is better on this team. It helps Lopunny break through balance and stall teams better. You already have great speed control in Greninja and Lopunny so I don't think Timid is needed.

choicescarf.png658.png Naive > Modest, Moveset change: Lastly I recommend using a Naive nature on Greninja to maximize speed, and also changing the moveset. The set I suggest is Ice Beam, Rock Slide, U-turn and Low Kick.

Ice Beam hits Zygarde, Landorus and Grass types. Rock Slide hits Volcarona who could otherwise be a threat. U-turn is for momentum which I found quite useful on this team. Low Kick hits Kyurem hard while also hitting Ferrothorn and Heatran.

You can also consider Spikes over Low Kick, but I prefer KOing Kyurem after rocks.

Last Notes

To finish I wanted to note the team still has some weaknesses such as Kyurem-B and Medicham, but they can be played around to an extent. I think the best thing to do is play aggressively to prevent them getting a free switch-in.

Hopefully these changes help you. Good luck with the team :]

Importable
~~787.png798.png428-m.png485.png145.png658.png~~​

Hey, that's a cool team around M-Lopunny. However, as notified before, Hawlucha and Kartana are particularly threatening. Hawlucha can setup on both Kartana and Tapu Bulu, and if Rotom-W is weakened enough, nothing relly stops it. Kartana is threatening because it immediately breaks through your defensive core, and I feel Scarf set is ever scarier since it can come in vs things like M-Lop. You also lack a Ground-Type, which means Pokemon like Tapu Koko can click Volt Switch for free, allowing it to wear down Bulu without risks. I have a few ideas that you might want to try so let's start.

Major Changes

>
I agree with DragonKnightmaster, Zapdos over Rotom-W is a pretty cool change here, as it helps greatly against the threats brought up, so Kartana and Hawlucha. It takes on their attacks relatively well and can threaten them back with either Discharge or Heat Wave. It also provides you a solid Defogger and a Ground immmunity. I'd run the defensive set here to maximise your bulk but the 3atk set also works (you would lose defog though).

>
My second major change is Zygarde over Greninja. With the above change, Pokemon like Heatran become harder to deal with because Zapdos isn't able to eat several Magma Storm or EPower and the 1v1 ends up sacking Zapdos. So, your only answer at this point is Scarf Greninja, which is just not good as a Heatran check due to its bulk. That's why I'm suggesting Zygarde over Greninja, which takes on well most sets of Heatran. Zygarde also provides you a Ground-Type, which is mandatory in OU. I'd run a Choice Band set which works well on this kind of team and it can also weaken many things like Lando-T and Clefable to support your M-Lopunny. As the last move, both Toxic and Iron Tail work. Toxic lets you annoy the likes of Tangrowth while Iron Tail is a guaranteed 2HKO on Tapu Bulu and Clefable.

Minor Changes

I removed your Scarfer in Greninja, and so your speed control. That's why I'd suggest running a Scarf set on Kartana. It works pretty well with the support given by Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain and gives you the speed control you lost as well. I'd run 4 moves since Zapdos runs Defog here, but if you opt for 3atk roost Zapdos, then use Defog over Smart Strike.

I removed your Z Move user with the above change, so I'm suggesting running a different set on Heatran. The trapper set with Magma Storm, EPower, Taunt and SR, with the item Firium Z is very cool in your team, as Z Magma Storm lets you break through stall with ease as well as surprising the likes of Greninja and Lando-T. I also think that Chope Berry is not needed anymore.

I also agree with DragonKnightmaster's change here, just run the standard smogon spread, especially since you need it to take on better things like Ash Greninja.

~~

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic / Iron Tail

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Hope I helped you out, and good luck.

Hey, nice team. It has a few cool ideas that I like. Although it still has some weaknesses, such as Hawlucha since Rotom can't take a +2 HJK very well. Certain variants of Kartana can be annoying aswell, although Chople Berry Heatran is a nice lure.

MAJOR CHANGE

View attachment 111581>View attachment 111582: First I suggest using Zapdos over Rotom-Wash, this gives you a better answer to Hawlucha and Kartana. Zapdos also has a more reliable recovery so you have a more consistent defogger. Something to note is that this adds another Ice weakness to the team which could make Kyurem harder to deal with.

MINOR CHANGES

View attachment 111585View attachment 111586EV spread change: next I suggest that you use the standard AV Bulu spread. It has enough speed for Tyranitar and enough attack to 2HKO Clefable. The rest is in bulk which can help you take on things like Zygarde, Tapu Koko and Greninja better.

View attachment 111587View attachment 111588Jolly > Timid: As cool as speed boosting Kartana is, I think the standard one with max Attack is better on this team. It helps Lopunny break through balance and stall teams better. You already have great speed control in Greninja and Lopunny so I don't think Timid is needed.

View attachment 111590View attachment 111589Naive > Modest, Moveset change: Lastly I recommend using a Naive nature on Greninja to maximize speed, and also changing the moveset. The set I suggest is Ice Beam, Rock Slide, U-turn and Low Kick.

Ice Beam hits Zygarde, Landorus and Grass types. Rock Slide hits Volcarona who could otherwise be a threat. U-turn is for momentum which I found quite useful on this team. Low Kick hits Kyurem hard while also hitting Ferrothorn and Heatran.

You can also consider Spikes over Low Kick, but I prefer KOing Kyurem after rocks.

Last Notes

To finish I wanted to note the team still has some weaknesses such as Kyurem-B and Medicham, but they can be played around to an extent. I think the best thing to do is play aggressively to prevent them getting a free switch-in.

Hopefully these changes help you. Good luck with the team :]

Importable
~~View attachment 111586View attachment 111588View attachment 111591View attachment 111592View attachment 111581View attachment 111589~~​
Thank you very much for your advices man. :psytear:

Indeed Hawlucha is a pain in the ass to deal with , my only answer for now was to hard switch Tapu-Bulu each time the ennemy set-up his electric terrain or psy terrain (to set-up my own grassy terrain) .. which is not the best strategy especially if Hawlucha rely on grassy terrain. I don't known how many times I get sweep by this little brat ^^.

• Zapdos change: looks really cool I always wanted to use this pokemon since it can be so hard to deal with for some teams. I'm definetly going to do this change.

• Tapu-Bulu change: okay I trust you on this one.

• Kartana change: ahhhh I don't known .. I was really frustated by this standard set because peoples expect it and this standard set is easy to revenge kill because Kartana is so weak to special attack and a lot of faster pokemon or scarf users have special attack (greninja, koko, latios, alakazam ...) or super-effective physical moves. Also with this "speed set" Kartana is much more bulkier because of the +252HP so even if it hit less harder it is much harder to deal with I feel (especially after a speed boost).

• Greninja change: lol sounds really fun, I'm going to try this ! I like this surprise set. I will use the low-kick so like you said I have an answer to Kyurem ;)

Thank you for your analyse, I think it's impossible for me to have answer for every pokemon since there is a lot of strong "balance" core I don't like so I will go like this. And I known that sometimes my only solution is to sacrifice a pokemon. :psyglad:

P.S. : how do you add those little pokemon sprits ? :3

Last edited:
Hey, that's a cool team around M-Lopunny. However, as notified before, Hawlucha and Kartana are particularly threatening. Hawlucha can setup on both Kartana and Tapu Bulu, and if Rotom-W is weakened enough, nothing relly stops it. Kartana is threatening because it immediately breaks through your defensive core, and I feel Scarf set is ever scarier since it can come in vs things like M-Lop. You also lack a Ground-Type, which means Pokemon like Tapu Koko can click Volt Switch for free, allowing it to wear down Bulu without risks. I have a few ideas that you might want to try so let's start.

Major Changes

>
I agree with DragonKnightmaster, Zapdos over Rotom-W is a pretty cool change here, as it helps greatly against the threats brought up, so Kartana and Hawlucha. It takes on their attacks relatively well and can threaten them back with either Discharge or Heat Wave. It also provides you a solid Defogger and a Ground immmunity. I'd run the defensive set here to maximise your bulk but the 3atk set also works (you would lose defog though).

>
My second major change is Zygarde over Greninja. With the above change, Pokemon like Heatran become harder to deal with because Zapdos isn't able to eat several Magma Storm or EPower and the 1v1 ends up sacking Zapdos. So, your only answer at this point is Scarf Greninja, which is just not good as a Heatran check due to its bulk. That's why I'm suggesting Zygarde over Greninja, which takes on well most sets of Heatran. Zygarde also provides you a Ground-Type, which is mandatory in OU. I'd run a Choice Band set which works well on this kind of team and it can also weaken many things like Lando-T and Clefable to support your M-Lopunny. As the last move, both Toxic and Iron Tail work. Toxic lets you annoy the likes of Tangrowth while Iron Tail is a guaranteed 2HKO on Tapu Bulu and Clefable.

Minor Changes

I removed your Scarfer in Greninja, and so your speed control. That's why I'd suggest running a Scarf set on Kartana. It works pretty well with the support given by Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain and gives you the speed control you lost as well. I'd run 4 moves since Zapdos runs Defog here, but if you opt for 3atk roost Zapdos, then use Defog over Smart Strike.

I removed your Z Move user with the above change, so I'm suggesting running a different set on Heatran. The trapper set with Magma Storm, EPower, Taunt and SR, with the item Firium Z is very cool in your team, as Z Magma Storm lets you break through stall with ease as well as surprising the likes of Greninja and Lando-T. I also think that Chope Berry is not needed anymore.

I also agree with DragonKnightmaster's change here, just run the standard smogon spread, especially since you need it to take on better things like Ash Greninja.

~~

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic / Iron Tail

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Hope I helped you out, and good luck.
Thank you very much for the advices and the analysis man :psytear:

• Zapdos change: Indeed you are both right I'm going do this change since I love this pokemon (so hard to deal with for some teams) and it looks like the best answer to Hawlucha that was making me rage so hard !!

• Zygarde change: hmmmm ... you are right ... and I can have a strong priority with extreme speed, sounds good to me. I think I will create a second team with your suggestions to use them !
    But I never played choice band zygarde, do you have some advices on how to efficiently use it ? ^^

• Kartana change: I prefer to use defog on Zapdos because it is immune to sticky web so it is easier for Zapdos to reliably defog against those kind of team. So the Kartana full attack will do it for me !

• Heatran change: Indeed with Zapdos I have an answer to fighting move so Z move sounds fun to use and can hit really hard !!

• Tapu-Bulu change: yep I trust you on this one.

Ok so again thank you very much, it helps me a lot since when I build a team it's difficult for me to identify precise threat and often I just try to have roles and type coverage. :psynervous:

Last edited:

• Zapdos change: Indeed you are both right I'm going do this change since I love this pokemon (so hard to deal with for some teams) and it looks like the best answer to Hawlucha that was making me rage so hard !!

• Zygarde change: hmmmm ... you are right ... and I can have a strong priority with extreme speed, sounds good to me. I think I will create a second team with your suggestions to use them !
    But I never played choice band zygarde, do you have some advices on how to efficiently use it ? ^^

• Kartana change: I prefer to use defog on Zapdos because it is immune to sticky web so it is easier for Zapdos to reliably defog against those kind of team. So the Kartana full attack will do it for me !

• Heatran change: Indeed with Zapdos I have an answer to fighting move so Z move sounds fun to use and can hit really hard !!

Ok so again thank you very much, it helps me a lot since when I build a team it's difficult for me to identify precise threat and often I just try to have roles and type coverage. :psynervous:
Choice Banded Zygarde is to be run on balanced teams so it has multiple switch-ins to break the opposing team, so pretty much a perfect fit. How to use it? Just click the best move in the given situation and try to preserve and maybe even support it.

Jumping off of these changes, I have one more to add which may be helpful:

lopunny.png

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

I believe this set will be of more use given the changes, as your team will struggle against certain Lando variants, given your Breaker being Zygarde and Heatran. While Fake Out is a good set, on your team I feel Ice Punch will be much more useful, and PuP is necessary for you to punish mons like Zapdos and Pex coming in.

Jumping off of these changes, I have one more to add which may be helpful:

View attachment 111758
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

I believe this set will be of more use given the changes, as your team will struggle against certain Lando variants, given your Breaker being Zygarde and Heatran. While Fake Out is a good set, on your team I feel Ice Punch will be much more useful, and PuP is necessary for you to punish mons like Zapdos and Pex coming in.
Yeah indeed this variant of the team will struggle against those particular mons. And I have extreme speed as a safe priority.

Thank you for the advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)