Monotype Bulky Offense Ground

Calaeb

formerly Pawwz

Hello everyone! As you all know, my name is Pawwz, and I've been paying competitive Pokemon, mainly Monotype, for quite a while (Four years). While I'm not really fond of Gen 8 as a whole, due to changes such as the Pokédex cut and the removal of features such as Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, I wanted to try and give my hand at the new metagame. Ground immediately came to my mind, as it retained the offensive sand core of Hippowdown + Excadrill. Alongside important tools to support it; therefore, I gave it a run. I'll link some replays of the team at the bottom of this RMT. Without further ado, here's the team, hope you enjoy:

Hippowdon @ Eject Button

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Up first is Hippowdon, a necessary staple to any Ground team and the Sand supplier for the team. Great natural bulk paired with Slack Off makes Hippowdown a great Pokemon to set Stealth Rocks and make great use of Eject Button. As I stated just now, Hippo makes great use of Stealth Rocks paired with it's good bulk, so the first move is going to be that. Earthquake is Hippo's STAB move, hitting it decently hard as Earthquake is 100 BP. Slack Off is Hippo's recovery option, healing 50% of it's HP every time. Last but not not least is Whirlwind, this is used to force Pokemon like Dragapult, Excadrill, Grimmsnarl, Rhyperior and Hawlucha out. The EV spread is to take Specs Draco Meteor from Dragapult and retain a 3HKO from Gardevoir's Moonblast.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Hippowdon: 319-376 (75.9 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Hippowdon: 196-232 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO

1585616011189.png
Excadrill @ Metronome
1585616011189.png

Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute / Swords Dance

Up next is the second half of the notorious sand core, Excadrill. This Pokemon's role is the net kills, late and early game. Metronome lets Excadrill spam Iron Head and Earthquake, boosting their power each time without taking the recoil that Life Orb would give you. Earthquake and Iron Head are obvious staples on Exca, being reliable and strong STAB moves. Rapid Spin is this team's form of hazard removal, also giving Excadrill a temporary +1 Speed bonus until you switch out. The last move is optional, can be subbed out for Swords Dance. Substitute is preferred, as it allows you to Sub up on Pokemon like Corsola and Vileplume, which are a pain for Ground types to deal with mainly because of Strength Sap and Giga Drain. If you're not too worried about that, the other option is Swords Dance. This lets you SD up on a switch (as Excadrill forces a ton of switches) and hit incredibly hard, netting more kills, including a 2HKO on Avalugg, Gastrodon, Appletun, Mew and Mandibuzz.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry / Superpower / Knock Off

Mamoswine is the Choice Scarf user on the team, and our answer to Dragon. Choice Scarf allows Mamoswine to hit 426 speed, outspeeding Dragapult. Icicle Crash and Earthquake are Mamoswine's STAB moves, and most likely the moves he's going to be using the majority of the time next to Ice Shard, which serves as this team's priority. Freeze Dry is there for Pokemon like Pelipper and Gastrodon, who might want to switch into Mamoswine as it's relatively safe, and Dracovish if they decide to do that. Superpower is also an option, although it's not all that good on Scarfed Mamoswine. It's really only going to be useful vs Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Another option is Knock Off, which is a reliable option used for getting rid of items like Leftovers on Pokemon such as Corviknight, Ferrothorn, Rotom-Wash, Avalugg, Toxapex and Ninetales-Alola.

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pelipper: 304-360 (116.4 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pelipper: 304-360 (93.8 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Gastrodon: 244-292 (57.2 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dracovish: 268-324 (83.2 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Gastrodon @ Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Ah, Gastrodon. The absolute pain you are, welcome to the team. Gastrodon serves as this team's Water immunity. I chose Gastrodon over Seismitoad because it's a better Keldeo check, and Keldeo is very popular in Generation 8. First up, Scald. Scald is it's main STAB move that it'll be clicking, allowing it to hit Pokemon reliably and have a 30% chance to Burn. Earthquake is here over Earth Power to break Keldeo & Kyurem-Black's Substitute, making it harder for them to reliably setup. Up next is Toxic, this is here for Pokemon like Rotom-Wash and Cloyster. Last is Recover, a staple move on Gastrodon allowing it to live longer throughout the match to reliably do it's job.

40 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyurem-Black: 97-115 (24.8 - 29.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery Possible damage amounts: (97, 99, 99, 100, 102, 103, 105, 105, 106, 108, 109, 109, 111, 112, 114, 115)
40 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 106-126 (32.8 - 39%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO

Diggersby @ Choice Band

Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Mega Kick
- Quick Attack

The next addition to this team is Diggersby. Now, this Generation, Ground Pokemon are limited. Stuff like Flygon are usable, but overall aren't that good. I like Diggersby, as it has some Fire coverage, U-Turn momentum and Knock Off possibilities that you can run instead of Quick Attack if you really wanted. Earthquake is there as reliable STAB, there isn't a lot in the meta that can take two of these. Next up is Fire Punch, this is nice to click vs types like Ice, Steel and even Grass sometimes. Mega Kick is there, despite the accuracy, it actually hits really, really hard. Retaining a 2HKO on Pokemon like Hippowdon, Toxapex, Mandibuzz and Vileplume. After that comes Quick Attack, the teams second form of priority next to Ice Shard. Very reliable, and hits decently hard versus neutral opponents.

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Mega Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 222-262 (52.8 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Mega Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 186-219 (61.1 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Mega Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 277-327 (78.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Mega Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 241-285 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rhyperior @ Leftovers

Ability: Solid Rock
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Stone Edge

Last but not least is Rhyperior. This Pokmeon serves as the team's check to Corviknight. Iron Defense + Body Press is a very hard set for Ground to break, especially since Corv carries Taunt for Hippo. This set outspeeds non-invested Corviknight, and 1v1's it. Swords Dance + Smack Down lets Rhyperior 3HKO Corviknight at +6 Defense with Earthquake (very high chance for 2HKO), and 2HKO and other Pokemon on Steel if they decide to switch. The remaining move is Fire Punch, which is used for killing Steel completely if you don't really wanna think, the other is Stone Edge if you wanna get some big damage vs Flying types.

+2 252 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. +6 252 HP / 4 Def Corviknight: 168-198 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hippowdon @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Metronome
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute/Swords Dance

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry/KnockOff/Superpower

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Mega Kick
- Quick Attack

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Big ups to Mateeus and TheAveng92R for the help with the team and their input/spell check for the RMT. <3

Last edited:
Hi Pawwz, an overall nice team you have here, I do have a few recommendations for you.

Changes

:Hippowdon:
Hippowdon

Leftovers are far more useful than Eject Button on Hippowdon for passive recovery. For example, switching into a threat which you counter, and then being forced out is counteractive at times. However, if you find yourself missing the offensive momentum provided with Eject Button then you should revert back.

:Mamoswine:
Mamoswine

At team preview, this team is pretty much 6-0ed by a standard defensive Sableye. Taunt prevents Gastrodon from putting it on a timer with Toxic, and the combination of Knock Off + Taunt + Will-O-Wisp can stallbreak Gastrodon. In addition, spreading burn with Will-O-Wisp makes almost every Pokemon on your team useless when burned as they are all physical attackers. Since you are already sporting an unconventional set in Choice Scarf, running Toxic over Ice Shard on Mamoswine can surprise an opposing Sableye as they go for Wisp, allowing you to actually put it on a timer so it cannot sit in front of you and your whole team all game. Toxic can also be useful for other Pokemon who might switch into Mamoswine such as Galarian Corsola and Avalugg. The priority of Ice Shard will not be missed, as you're running Choice Scarf, and you already have a strong form of priority in Choice Band Quick Attack from Diggersby.

:Excadrill:
Excadrill

Due to the Metronome nerf, (where now it does not stack if the move fails or hits a protect) overall a better item option on Excadrill would be Life Orb to wallbreak easier or Leftovers for passive recovery. Excadrill also doesn't find itself using the same move consecutively as there are limited sand turns. Swords Dance is definitely a better option over Substitute. Galarian Corsola can easily break your sub with Night Shade, and with your old set, Earthquake does about 25%-30% with Earthquake and you lose 1v1. Vileplume will only drop your Attack by one stage, however Swords Dance can subsequently boost your Attack by two stages, therefore you can circumvent this issue. Swords Dance + Rapid Spin can also allow Excadrill to be a threatening sweeper outside of sand, making it the superior option over Substitute.

:Diggersby:
Diggersby

Not much to say here, an Adamant nature is far more useful than a Jolly nature to increase the wallbreaking potential of Diggersby as well as increasing the power of your priority Quick Attack. You would not be losing any important Speed tiers by switching to Adamant as Bisharp runs Adamant nature itself, and you have a Hippowdon for an Adamant Excadrill outside of the sand.

:Gastrodon:
Gastrodon

Nowadays most Keldeo's, Choice Specs variants, and especially the Taunt + Calm Mind variants run Focus Blast more often than not in order to pick up OHKO's on both Kyurem-Black and Ferrothorn at +0 as Secret Sword fails to KO. As a result, your Gastrodon spread may not be the most optimal, however, Keldeo in itself is a huge threat to Ground teams and especially a Taunt + Calm Mind variants. In addition, a +1 Focus Blast will easily 2HKO a fully Special Defense invested Gastrodon, therefore, you might not have much counterplay for it anyways.

On the other hand, keeping the physical bulk on Gastrodon can allow you to check vs Pokemon such as Barbaracle, as Superpower will not OHKO you at +2, and Cloyster will also not OHKO you with 5 Icicle Spear hits at +2. You should also note that only Earth Power will be able to OHKO these threats after a Shell Smash and not Earthquake as they both have high Defense compared to their Special Defense. It is also important to note that when running Earth Power over Earthquake, you always break Kyurem-Black's Substitute without any SpA investment and that is why I am suggesting to run it.

I hope you find my suggestions useful!

(click on the sprites for the importable)
:Hippowdon: :Excadrill: :Diggersby: :Mamoswine: :Rhyperior: :Gastrodon:

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey so Splash covered some stuff but I have a few different suggestions.

Major Changes

Diggersby -> Flygon

->

Between Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Rhyperior I don't think Diggersby is too necessary here as you have enough physical attackers while lacking a special attacker. Not only that but Diggersby doesn't really accomplish much that your other breakers can't do while Flygon can help you cover some weaknesses and improve certain match ups. The set I have in mind is Choice Scarf because it's able to outspeed and OHKO +1 Kyurem-B and is amazing against Dragon-type teams. Mamoswine on its own isn't enough to beat Dragon as Kyurem-B outspeeds it at +1 and often carries Iron Head.

Minor Changes

Hippowdon

As Splash said, Leftovers is definitely better than Eject Button here. But to add on I think you should go full SpD because you then avoid the 2HKO from Specs Dragapult's Draco Meteor and also live two Shadow Balls from Specs Aegislash (provided no max rolls), which you otherwise have no switch in for.

Mamoswine

With the addition of Scarf Flygon, Choice Scarf on Mamoswine becomes unnecessary. Scarf Mamoswine isn't the best answer to Dragon anyway as mentioned previously because Dragapult most often runs a Choice Scarf of its own and it can't reliably break through Dragon teams on its own. What I suggest is using Choice Band with an Adamant nature because it OHKOes defensive Vileplume which your team is incredibly weak to. With Banded Ice Shard and Scarf Flygon you should be good to go against Dragon while also having an answer for Vileplume.

Excadrill

Not a fan of Swords Dance personally because you don't have enough turns of sand to really take advantage since Smooth Rock is banned. What I recommend for the last move is Toxic which most notably hits Stallbreaker Mew that basically 6-0es your entire team. Toxic also hits some common switch ins to Excadrill such as Mandibuzz and Rotom.

:ss/hippowdon: :ss/excadrill: :ss/mamoswine: :ss/gastrodon: :ss/flygon: :ss/rhyperior:
[click on the sprites for importable]

Hope you like my suggestions, good luck with the team!

Hey dude,

That’s a nice sand team for Monotype! Sand is one of my favorite weather archetypes, especially with Excadrill becoming extremely hard to outspeed. Here are my recommendations:

As the previous two raters said, Leftovers is necessary on mostly tanks like Hippowdon. Leftovers helps Hippowdon get a decent longevity.

For Mamoswine, a suggest running Choice Band over Choice Scarf for it to become a revenge killer. The reason for this is Ice Shard. For the nature, either Jolly or Adamant work fine. I recommend Superpower as the last move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)