SM OU Bulky Offense Mega Scizor RMT

Hi! I recently returned to play some Showdown OU and I have been tinkering with a Bulky Offense team centered in Mega Scizor, so I'd like some advice about which mons/sets should be changed. Here's the team :)

Mega-Scizor_XY.gif
Tapu_Bulu_SL.gif
Heatran_XY.gif
Clefable_XY.gif
Greninja_Ash_SL.gif
Landorus_tótem_XY.gif

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

The main mon of the team, as I built around him. I'm using the EV spread from the Smogon Dex. At first I was running Curse, U-Turn and Light Metal, but Curse seemed very defensive, and now that one of the mons that Curse was aimed at is banned (Zygarde), I preffered a more aggresive aproach with Swords Dance. I'm considering U-Turn instead of Knock Off, but I already have a pivot on the team in Lando-T and I like the utility Knock Off brings.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

This and Heatran form a core I like a lot, as they pair well with Scizor in my opinion. Tapu Bulu is a great tank that can act as a secondary sweeper thanks to Swords Dance if needed to. It has great defensive synergy with Scizor as Scizor checks Ice and Steel moves that Bulu doesn't like and Bulu provides Ground resistance and sustain with Grassy Terrain. Again, standard EVs form him.

Heatran (F) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

The problem with Bulu and Scizor is that they succumb to Fire, so Heatran seemed a great choice. I'm using him as a Special attacker and trapper/stall breaker, as I'm already using a Stealth Rock setter (Clefable).

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
- Moonblast

The Special Tank, Rock Setter and Healer of the team. It tanks physical hit that will aim at Heatran and Scizor, while also providing some damage with Moonblast.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse

As I already have some bulky mons, I decided to pack two Choicers and Ash-Greninja is great as it can also deal with Ground and Fire types and can set Spikes to deal with bulky mons to chip them away.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Defog

At last, I chose Lando-T as I wanted a second Choicer (a physical one) and a Defogger/Pivot, so that's why he's here. I was thinking about a defensive Lando as he forms a great core with Ash-Greninja, but then I'd had to take out Clefable which seems as something bad to me (I'd be loosing a healer that helps keeping Scizor healthy to sweep late game and I'd have to search for another hazard remover).

msnt

\!/
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The team looks really weak to volcarona 3 atks (like a lot of teams without Toxapex), but the team looks good and classic but playable, I like the clefable wish who is being able to heal Lando/Tran/Gren. Anyway it stills a good team !

the team might have a hard time breaking Celesteela and ferrotorn (heatran gets chipped away very easily with rocks +leech seed) maybe try offensive calm mind clefable+ flamethrower

As stated above, looks kinda weak to Volcarona, so maybe you should replace something for Toxapex?
I like the double recovery Clefable tho and I suggest to change protect for substitute on Bulu's set.

Hello xGarudAx, that's a pretty cool team you've got there! It looks a lot like the kind of balance that were ran in early / mid usm aand a lot of teams have been returning to that kind of frameworks lately. Your team is pretty solid overall, but its main weakness is against Fire-types such as Heatran, Volcarona and M-Charizard to which you don't have a proper switchin. Additionally, pokemons like SG Magearna and wallbreakers like M-Medicham and Tapu Lele among others can all rip this team apart. Here are a few suggestions that might help alleviate those matchups.

The first thing I'd do is Gastrodon > Tapu Bulu. Tapu Bulu isn't a bad mon by any means but in this team, it's really just stacking weaknesses to pokemons your team already struggles against, such as Heatran and Magearna. This is why I would replace it to Gastrodon which is still a solid switchin to threats like Ash-Gren and M-Alakazam, but also offers you a switchin to both Heatran and Magearna, as well as something that can block momentum from the likes of Magearna, Rotom-W, and Zapdos.

Secondly, I would make Clefable a CM variant. SR + Wish Clef has seen pretty much zero usage lately, mainly because of how passive it is, which isn't good when M-Mawile is so common in the tier. I think it's gonna be even more the case with Zygarde being banned. CM Clefable, on the other hand, gives you a solid wincon that pairs nicely with M-Scizor, as they can overwhelm things like Toxapex and Celesteela together and with their teammates' support. As for its moveset, I would recommend Thunder Wave as its 4th move, mainly because of how it can be helpfulto paralyze stuff like Magearna, Volcarona, Toxapex, or Celesteela. However, moves like Ice Beam which deals significant damage Garchomp and Gliscor, or Thunder for Celesteela and Toxapex, are also viable alternatives.

Something else you could afford is LO Clefable which is really really hard to switch into and can overwhelm threats like Toxapex, Celesteela, and other Steel-types a lot more easily. Here is the set.

Moving on, the last two changes are mainly optional and up to your preference. They consist of Specially Defensive Heatran and Waterium Z Greninja. The main reason why I prefer those is because at this point, your team was pretty weak to stuff like Tapu Lele and offensive Tran didn't really help for that. Defensive Tran, although it's not the best, gives you something that can at least pivot into it once or scout what it locks itself into (if it's choiced) thanks to Protect. Protect also helps against things like CB Tyranitar and Scarf Landorus-T among other things, giving you more room to maneuver around them. Waterium Z Gren is here to make up for your lack of a Z-Move user, giving Gren a powerful nuke that can actually be pretty useful against things like weakened AV Magearna / Celesteela, Tornadus-T, and other things that might come in thinking you're Specs.

~~
That's it for my rate. You can find the importable for your team here. But if you don't like spdef tran and waterium z gren, you can also use this version of the team. Overall, I've had a ton of fun rating your team. Things like Tapu Lele, M-Medicham, M-Charizard X and Fire Fang M-Mawile are still big threats to the team so you should be wary of them when playing. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)