Bulky Offense [OU] [Wi-Fi]

Hey all, so let me give you a little background information. This is my second Wi-Fi team that I have created(the first being an OK hail team). While I enjoy my hail team, I wanted a better team which would be sort of unique while being able to counter some of the most popular threats today. The only problem is that it's hard being original while not getting owned every other fight. I also wanted guys who would be able to rape my friends' teams IRL, but this was kind of hard as most of the people I battle with ban legends. After some thinking and cruising around the RMT threads I believe I have made an alright team which may actually win some fights. Well I guess I better show you my guys...

ALL EDITS ARE IN BOLD

AT A GLANCE: (OLD TEAM)

NEW TEAM: (MADE SOME CHANGES)

NEWEST TEAM (LOL HOW MANY CHANGES AM I GOING TO MAKE?)

Swampert [THE NEW LEAD]

Swampert
Relaxed w/Leftovers
Torrent
240 HP 216 Defense 52 SpA

Earthquake
Ice Beam
Surf
Stealth Rock

Classic Swampert lead that is extremely reliable. Unless my opponent has a suicide lead, I'm getting Stealth Rock up. This mudfish is a beast, not getting KO'ed by many physical attacks, and can sponge a couple Special Attacks with the nice typing (electric immunity is nice too). Earthquake, combined with Ice Beam gets massive coverage, and Surf is there to hit anything that resists, while providing very powerful STAB. Not much will enjoy taking repeated Surfs/EQs so I will usually be able to get at least one switch. This guy is also perfect for my team since I'm going bulky, instead of using common fragile leads such as Azelf. Swampert also has some Wall Breaking potential since he's mixed; Gliscor gets owned by Ice Beam, and Blissey doesn't enjoy STAB Eq. My only problem with Swampert is the the 4x grass weakness with so many opposing pokes carrying either HP grass or Grass Knot. In order to sponge some of the Special Attacks aimed at Swampert I decided to use...

SNORLAX [THE SPECIAL WALL]

Eh...wrong picture...

SNORLAX [AKA YOUR MOM]
Careful w/Leftovers
Thick Fat
244 HP 28 Defense 236 SpD

Rest
Sleep Talk
Body Slam
Crunch

If my opponent doesn't have a specific counter for this fatty, then Snorlax is staying around for a while. I figured Snorlax would make a nice addition to my team since I needed a really bulky wall to absorb attacks from the now popular MixMence and Latias. In addition, Snorlax can also come in on Breloom and other sleep inducers, without fear of being Set-up bait. Most Sleep Talkers attract guys who think they can set up, so Body Slam deals with them nicely. Sweepers won't like repeated Body Slam's in fear of Paralysis so they might bring in their ghosts. Crunch deals nicely with Gengar and other Psychics/ Ghosts, comming off of Snorlax's nice 110 base attack. With the Special Spectrum covered with Snorlax I just needed a nice physical wall that could take some Special Attacks as well so I used...

PORYGON2 [THE PHYSICAL SPONGE]

Oops, wrong picture again...

Porygon2 [AKA Space Duck]
Bold w/Leftovers
Trace
252 HP 216 defense 40 SpA

Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover
Thunder Wave

This guy is great. He can handle three of the most popular pokes in OU with ease: Salamance, Heatran, and Gyarados. With trace P2 can shoot intimidate back at Gyarados and Salamance to weaken their attacks and threaten them with a 4x effective Bolt/Beam combo. P2 also handles ScarfTran extremly well as he is usually locked in flamethrower or fire blast. Again, P2 can trace Heatran's Flash Fire and become immune to it's most powerful threat, and forcing it out. P2 doesn't deal with non-choiced Heatran as well, but can absorb damage very well and recover with....recover (pun intended :toast:) Thunder wave also helps cripple sweepers who want to stay in, and makes it easier for my Gallade and Kingdra to sweep later in the game. Now that I had established the bulk of my team I needed some serious firepower who was also immune to my 2 fighting weak pokemon so I choose...

GENGAR [THE REVENGE KILLER]

Gengar [AKA Smiley]
Hasty w/ Expert Belt
Levitate
100 Attack 200 SpA 208 Speed

Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Punch
HP Fire (damn you Scizor)

Awwww....just look at that smile! Gengar's so happy to see you...don't mind that shadow ball forming in his hands...I'm sure Gengar would never hurt you :naughty:

All joking aside this guy can be a beast. STAB Shadow Ball off 130 Base SpA causes massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it. HP fire is for Scizor, while the Substitute/ Focus Punch combo is used to bring the hurt the pink blob known as Blissey. Focus Punch plus HP fire also do a number on the infamous ScarmBliss combo so stall isn't really a problem for me. With Gengar's amazing speed I am able to get alot of revenge kills and a change to sweep if I am behind a Sub. The only difference from the standard set is the movement of some speed EV's into SpA to dish out more damage. I'll already be out sped by other Gengar because of HP fire but I will be able to hit much harder and still be faster then nearly everything else. My favorite first generation pokemon.

EDIT: I HAVE NOW TAKEN OFF GALLADE AND REPLACED HIM WITH SCIZOR

SCIZOR (CHOICE BAND)
ADAMANT
248 HP 252 ATTACK 8 SPEED

U-TURN
BULLET PUNCH
SUPERPOWER
PURSUIT

Not much to say about this metal bug except that he's a beast. Since I lack a reliable way of dealing with opposing Gengars I used Pursuit instead of the popular Quick Attack. This will add to my coverage as well as help me kill Ghosts/ Psychics easier.
*cough cough Azelf cough cough* Now that I had a reliable fighting move to deal with most steel types I picked a very underestimated dragon who has great syenergy with Scizor...

KINGDRA [THE LATE GAME SWEEPER]

Kingdra [AKA The King Dick]
Adamant w/Life Orb (King's Rock?)
Sniper
252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Outrage
Yawn

People really underestimate this poke, as when most people think of powerful dragons, they think of Flygon or Salamance. Yet Kingdra has some distinct advantages over his dragon bretheren, such as great typing, which give him only one weakness (dragon), while having a 4x resist to Scizor's only weakness. In addition, Sniper is an excellent ability which can get suprise KO's as well as help Kingdra come on top in stall wars. The STAB Waterfall/ Outrage combo is very powerful, and is only resisted by Empoleon and Ninjask. I use Kingdra as a late game sweeper when most of his threats are dead or crippled by P2. I really would hate to lose him so please don't remove my Kingdra :pirate: (he's my favorite 2nd generation poke) I'm not so sure on the last move... Yawn is nice for forcing counters to switch out or fall asleep, but Sub seems nice so I don't get put to sleep myself. Focus Energy sounds kind of gimicky, but has the potential to work well with Sniper.

Well that's my team I hope you enjoyed :toast:. All rates are greatly appreciated, just remember I'm using a Wi-fi team so I can't use rotom formes. Sorry if there are any grammatical errors, just tell me and I'll edit them. Thank you for reading!

The Nicknames
This section is kind of moot since I took of most of these guys, but it's still here for your entertainment, and because I'm too lazy to remove it...
I always believed that leaving a pokemon nameless is not personable, and sounds kind of cold. It also allows you to use some creativity when you see so much of the same pokemon over and over again. In case you were wondering, I'll explain some of the nicknames of my pokes in this section:

Ambipom [Pimp Slap]-Seemed kind of obvious with his huge hands that were perfect for slaping.
Gliscor [PissedOff Bat]- I really couldn't think of a better name so I just went with that lol. I'm open for suggestions =p
Porygon2 [Space Duck]- I stole the name off some guy's RMT thread. Seemed like a good name since he looks like a duck...from space...
Gengar [Smiley]- That was one of my best friend's nicknames in middle school for some reason and I figured that since Gengar is always smiling, it would be a good name :toast:.
Gallade [McRippy]- My nickname at school after I ripped up a bad test I got in math (I don't know where people got the Mc- part) Gallade has sharp arms so the name seemed to work.
Kingdra [The King Dick]- The name of a Mamoswine I saw in a RMT. I liked the name and I figured it would be even better on Kingdra since he has King in his name already.

Kudos if you have read everything I put; you get a cookie! Please give me advice if you see any major flaws in my team. Thankies!

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You lack a Pokemon to take Special attacks. You have no safe switch in to Latias' Draco Meteor, or an Ice attack. Ambipom is very replaceable on your team. It just has a strong Fake Out, and you don't need Double Hit for Subs. Have Gliscor as your lead, and replace Ambipom with Blissey.

You still lack a switch in to physical Ice attacks, and even with both Porygon2 and Blissey, MixMence is still hard to take down. I would replace Gallade with CB Scizor. He resists Dragon and Ice attacks, and his priority attack is great for finishing off weakened Pokemon (especially Salamence after LO and SR damage). He also comfortably deals with many of the Pokemon that Gallade can beat like Gengar and Blissey.

Gliscor should be Jolly to outrun Jolly Lucario before it can Ice Punch you.

Kingdra is the sweeper that you save for late game. Your team strategy is to weaken your opponent through SR residual damage and walling your opponents' threats with Blissey and Pory2, and using Gliscor and Scizor to scout your opponent, weakening them in the process with U-turn, and wear down their HP with Gengar till you are ready to sweep with Kingdra. I would use Substitute as your last move, and Leftovers as your item. Substitute can provide you protection from status and if used well, a free turn as your opponent wastes a move on Thunderwave or Will o Wisp. Leftovers works well alongside Sub and will keep Kingdra healthy so it can stay around to sweep. Hopefully everything should be weakened to the point that you don't need LO to finish them off - you'll probably get 2 DDs up if you use Kingdra well.

[EDIT] Because of your team strategy, I wouldn't use a Wish Blissey, as Wish would give your opponent time to prepare a sweep and put himself in a position where it would be hard to wear down their HP. I would use a Cleric Blissey. Your team doesn't need the Wish support anyways. However, use Aromatherapy sparingly, because you don't want to give your opponent a free turn. Use Blissey to take a Special attack, and then immediately swap out to a teammate (Softboiled if you have to though, but this is definitely preferred to the two-turn self healing of Wish + Protect).

Blissey is predictable, and because of the lack of offensive power she can easily become set-up fodder for strong physical teams, CMcune on the otherhand can have the potential to be deadly after a few calm minds and also has the ability to soak up a few hits on the physical side. And given you don't really have a status-absorber you could try a crocune.
Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/ 252 DEf/ 4 Spe
Moveset-
~Surf
~Calm Mind
~Rest
~Sleep Talk
Can definitely absorb physical hits and special hits with a few calm minds, also rest and sleep talk bring you a status absorber and a pokemon with instant recovery(barring 2 turns of sleep) Just don't expect her to really be an offensive threat.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Blissey is predictable, and because of the lack of offensive power she can easily become set-up fodder for strong physical teams, CMcune on the otherhand can have the potential to be deadly after a few calm minds and also has the ability to soak up a few hits on the physical side. And given you don't really have a status-absorber you could try a crocune.
Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/ 252 DEf/ 4 Spe
Moveset-
~Surf
~Calm Mind
~Rest
~Sleep Talk
Can definitely absorb physical hits and special hits with a few calm minds, also rest and sleep talk bring you a status absorber and a pokemon with instant recovery(barring 2 turns of sleep) Just don't expect her to really be an offensive threat.
This team has problems taking special attacks without Blissey. Also this set cannot switch into special attacks, as shown by the line "absorb physical hits and special hits WITH a few calm minds". It won't be walling any BoltBeamers for you; it needs to be able to take special hits immediately.

Blissey won't be set up folder if you use her well. The point of Blissey is to swap her into a special attacker. The opponent will then swap out (because leaving in the special attacker on Blissey is pointless). At this time, you will also swap out. Hopefully, you would have scouted your opponent's team with Gliscor and Scizor, so you can accurately predict what Pokemon your opponent will send into Blissey. You can then act accordingly, and send in a Pokemon to counter that Pokemon. Essentially, you are utilising Blissey for double switches. And Blissey is the Pokemon of choice, because it walls almost every special attacker.

If I am using a Calm minder then how about Jirachi? Wouldn't he be able to sponge special attacks?

Edit: Actually I've been brainstorming and I have an idea which might provide support to my team. I saw this Cressalia off an old RMT

Dual Screen

Bold w/Light Clay

~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Lunar Dance
~ Thunder Wave / Ice Beam / Psychic

252 HP / 60 Def / 44 SpD / 152 Spe
"Cresselia is really lacking in the attacking department, and is set up fodder for many Pokémon. This set turns the tables by setting up on your opponent. Cresselia possesses the greatest dual defenses of any Psychic-type outside of Lugia, allowing her to utilize dual screen effectively.
The strategy with Cresselia is mostly the same as it has always been; come in on a foe that can't do much damage to you and set up on the switch in. However, Cresselia can use Thunder Wave to great success. If you can hit your counter with it, then it'll be slower than you, pretty much guaranteeing you'll get up both screens seeing as how no unboosted attack can OHKO Cresselia when she is behind the appropriate screen. Ice Beam is another option over Thunder Wave because it hits one of the most popular Taunt users, Gliscor, for super effective damage and if Cresselia does get Taunted, it won't be a sitting duck. Psychic is another attacking option for Cresselia and makes it one of the best counters to Infernape and Lucario, but even with STAB, don't expect it to do a lot of damage. Unlike any other Pokémon, Cresselia learns the move Lunar Dance, which is her signature move. Once you are done setting up, she can sacrifice herself to bring in a Pokémon fully healed Pokémon. Lucario is a good choice for this, because he resists the attacks that Cresselia fears: Dark, Bug, and Ghost. This gives you two chances to sweep your opponent, hopefully when its counter has been knocked out or significantly weakened."

Any idea if this could work on my team?

Darkmalice

Level 3
It won't. Kingdra enjoys the double screen, but that's about it. And Kingdra won't set up a sweep early game, because Your too weak to certain specially offensive threats to have time to set this up.

Gengar is using HP Fire - he loses a speed point, so he is slower than other Gengar and Latias. So you might as well lower his Speed so that he outruns max speed Infernape in order to have more SpA.

How is your team going to handle Zapdos or Gengar (Sub + HP FIre means Scizor can't counter it)? Please don't use Calm Minders. You need something that can switch into such threats.

If you don't want to use Blissey, use SleepTalk Snorlax. It can absorb status for the team and take special attacks. I was originally going to suggest Latias or specially defensive Cresselia, but both have problems against Rotom-H (plus neither of them enjoy status). Have Crunch to deal with the Ghosts.

Use Pursuit on Scizor to trap frail Psychic- and Ghost-types. Opposing Gengar can Focus Blast Snorlax, so Scizor can be used if Snorlax doesn't have the HP to take the Blast.

I would replace Gliscor with Swampert, because your team has a Tyranitar weakness. Also consider Gyarados over Kingdra. Without Gliscor, Gengar is your best shot at Lucario, and whilst he resists Close Combat and Extremespeed, misprediction will cost the Ghost its life (or a surprise Bullet Punch). Gyarados is a secondary Lucario check. It also sports Bounce, so it isn't walled by Celebi (another reason why DS support with Kingdra is a bad idea (and it's bad with Gyarados too thanks to Bounce's 2 turns)). Have Earthquake as well, so you don't get walled by Empoleon.

It won't. Kingdra enjoys the double screen, but that's about it. And Kingdra won't set up a sweep early game, because Your too weak to certain specially offensive threats to have time to set this up.

Gengar is using HP Fire - he loses a speed point, so he is slower than other Gengar and Latias. So you might as well lower his Speed so that he outruns max speed Infernape in order to have more SpA.

How is your team going to handle Zapdos or Gengar (Sub + HP FIre means Scizor can't counter it)? Please don't use Calm Minders. You need something that can switch into such threats.

If you don't want to use Blissey, use SleepTalk Snorlax. It can absorb status for the team and take special attacks. I was originally going to suggest Latias or specially defensive Cresselia, but both have problems against Rotom-H (plus neither of them enjoy status). Have Crunch to deal with the Ghosts.

Use Pursuit on Scizor to trap frail Psychic- and Ghost-types. Opposing Gengar can Focus Blast Snorlax, so Scizor can be used if Snorlax doesn't have the HP to take the Blast.

I would replace Gliscor with Swampert, because your team has a Tyranitar weakness. Also consider Gyarados over Kingdra. Without Gliscor, Gengar is your best shot at Lucario, and whilst he resists Close Combat and Extremespeed, misprediction will cost the Ghost its life (or a surprise Bullet Punch). Gyarados is a secondary Lucario check. It also sports Bounce, so it isn't walled by Celebi (another reason why DS support with Kingdra is a bad idea (and it's bad with Gyarados too thanks to Bounce's 2 turns)). Have Earthquake as well, so you don't get walled by Empoleon.
Once again thanks for your feedback but incase you haven't noticed I'm using a Wi-fi team so I don't have to worry about Rotom =]

As for Gengar I can bring in Scizor to 0HKO with Bullet Punch if Gengar doesn't have sub...if Gengar does have a sub then I am in a little bit of trouble =p Zapdos is problematic as well, the best I could do is sacrifice a guy and get the revenge kill.

While I do agree that Swampert is nice, and Gyarados is strong, I just don't want both of them on my team...I just don't like the two water users on the same team. Sure Gyarados/Swampert don't share too many weaknesses but it seems like I won't be getting much coverage with both of them on my team. With Kingdra at least I can suprise my opponent with an unorthodox sweeper and get nice coverage. So I would only put one or the other, and I'm leaning towards Swampert since he's such a good lead. Besides Scizor and Kingdra have excellent syenergy; Scizor can tear apart steel types with Superpower, then Kingdra can come in and start to sweep.

Snorlax would be a solution to my lack of a physical wall (since Gliscor is gone) but if there is no rotom to worry about then I might be able to use Cresselia as well (just not using Double Screen). So I'm not sure who to use since both are very good walls...right now I'm leaning towards Snorlax actually.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Thanks for the pm. I'll see what more advice I can give.

Once again thanks for your feedback but incase you haven't noticed I'm using a Wi-fi team so I don't have to worry about Rotom =]

As for Gengar I can bring in Scizor to 0HKO with Bullet Punch if Gengar doesn't have sub...if Gengar does have a sub then I am in a little bit of trouble =p Zapdos is problematic as well, the best I could do is sacrifice a guy and get the revenge kill.

While I do agree that Swampert is nice, and Gyarados is strong, I just don't want both of them on my team...I just don't like the two water users on the same team. Sure Gyarados/Swampert don't share too many weaknesses but it seems like I won't be getting much coverage with both of them on my team. With Kingdra at least I can suprise my opponent with an unorthodox sweeper and get nice coverage. So I would only put one or the other, and I'm leaning towards Swampert since he's such a good lead. Besides Scizor and Kingdra have excellent syenergy; Scizor can tear apart steel types with Superpower, then Kingdra can come in and start to sweep.

Snorlax would be a solution to my lack of a physical wall (since Gliscor is gone) but if there is no rotom to worry about then I might be able to use Cresselia as well (just not using Double Screen). So I'm not sure who to use since both are very good walls...right now I'm leaning towards Snorlax actually.
The point of Pursuit is to catch Gengar as it swaps out. I would still use Snorlax in case Gengar has Sub, which would hit Cresselia hard. Snorlax > Cresselia. Plus if you think a Fighting attack is heading towards Snorlax, you can swap out to Gengar depending on the situation.

I wouldn't call Kingdra a surprise. You're using its most common set. Kingdra doesn't have problems with Steel-types except maybe Skarmory, and Scizor wouldn't beat it anyways. Their main synergy goes in Kingdra x4 resist Scizor's one weakness, though Snorlax would be the better switch in, as Kingdra is best used late game. Admittely, Scizor can OHKO Celebi, Kingdra' archnemesis, unless it has HP Fire (it's pretty common on shoddy, but I'm would imagine it's very uncommon on WiFi, but I'm not sure as I don't have it on my DS).

Without Gyarados, you're Lucario weak. Swampert can't take +2 CC, and Gengar's fragility means he may not be around when you need his immunities (even Ice Punch does a large chunk of Gengar's HP). So I would feel Gyarados is the better option. Just use Gyarados with Leftovers, Waterfall, Earthquake and Stone Edge. It's type coverage isn't that bad with Swampert (use Earthquake, Ice Beam, Stealth Rock and Protect). It's ust Earthquake again, which has excellent type coverage.

Also, please don't bump until at least 24 hours has passed.

Ok point taken I'll use Snorlax instead of Cress...Idk about Gyarados though. I honestly like him but he's so common that people constantly have counters, while I have never seen a Kingdra on Wi-fi (hence the suprise). Well I'll think about it a little more and update the page (my team has changed alot lol...is that good or bad?)

Darkmalice

Level 3
Well I'll think about it a little more and update the page (my team has changed alot lol...is that good or bad?)
That's good. The team's much better than what is was before.

You don't have to use Gyara. You can still handle Lucario without it through Gengar and Swampert as checks. It's just risky, as Gengar dies easily, and Swampert may take too much damage to deal with Lucario. I've got nothing against Kingdra, and he probably works better in Wifi than Shoddy, because Celebi isn't as common (plus there's all the Gyara and Salamence fans). Though there are many Pokemon that can take his place, Gyara and Salamence are two examples, though the latter will need Draco Meteor to deal with Hippowdon.

You could also try Lucario. You have Scizor and Snorlax to comfortably remove Cresselia and the Ghost-types that resist Close Combat and Extremespeed, whilst physical walls like Swampert and Hippowdon should hopefully be weakened even slightly, so they are guaranteed to be OHKOed by +2 Adamant Close Combat. Plus Lucario can take Dark-type attacks aimed at Gengar if Swampert wants to conserve its HP (and Rock-type attacks, cough Tyranitar).

You could also try Lucario. You have Scizor and Snorlax to comfortably remove Cresselia and the Ghost-types that resist Close Combat and Extremespeed, whilst physical walls like Swampert and Hippowdon should hopefully be weakened even slightly, so they are guaranteed to be OHKOed by +2 Adamant Close Combat. Plus Lucario can take Dark-type attacks aimed at Gengar if Swampert wants to conserve its HP (and Rock-type attacks, cough Tyranitar).
I really like Lucario as well but game freak only gave us six slots :pirate:

Well I battle my friends alot so I could occassionally mix it up by substituting Lucario for Kingdra every once in a while, but I think for most of my battles I will use Kingdra (until I get bored then I can use Lucario).

Btw you are really awesome darknessmalice you have been the only person who has actually read my entire description and given me reliable rates :toast: I am very grateful (although a good second opinion would be nice). I can't thank you enough for helping me modify my team to what it is now

Edit: I just noticed something. Apart from my Swampert lead, all of my guys are from Generations I-II which is nice since those were my favorite gens (nothing wrong with III or IV though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)