SM OU Bulky Offense Tornadus Toxapex

Hi! I'm very new to this thread, and I started a new team recently. I've played around with it, and I'm in need for some advice! On how to play it, and if I should switch out some mons. Also, if I make a mistake in my posting, I apologize in advance. Here Goes!

Tornadus-T
Unknown.png

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus-T is a mon that is rising in the meta, being a sound check to common rockers like Lando and Clefable. With Z-Hurricane, he is capable of OHKOing these two mons. With defog, he can do away with hazards, and thanks to regenerator, his chip damage from SR will be nullified. It's great speed tier allows it to be a fast and offensive pokemon on an otherwise slow and bulky team. Knock Off punishes switch ins such as Celesteela and Zapdos and removes their leftovers. Finally, U-Turn nabs momentum and can get in some of the other threats in this team, and is another way to punish Celesteela and Zapdos for switching in. All in all, he applies a level of speed, power, and utility to team needing it.

Toxapex
Unknown-1.png

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

The symbol of stall, the very Pex himself. The mon is most useful for his ability to set up Toxic Spikes. Thanks to his bulk and ability, he can do this job pretty effectively. Haze is useful for ridding pokemon of their stat boosts, Scald for catching physical attackers in their switch ins, and potentially burning. Recover is great at, well, recovering HP. His main role is to sit tight and stack up on t-spikes, and to stop an annoying attacker on their sweep. Thanks to t-spikes, he can break down offensive and balanced cores. He helps all the powerhouses complete their KOs.

Heatran
Unknown.jpeg

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

One of the best steel types in the tier, and rightly so. He packs great utility and a punch all in one set. With Magma Storm, he traps walls like Chansey and Pex to be killed off with his numerous walling techniques. It's also a decently powerful move, dealing damage to even this those that resist the move, and adding annoying chip damage to them with the trapping affect. Earth Power rounds out Heatran's coverage, hitting other Heatran's and Pex for great super effective damage.Taunt keeps these mons from recovering health, and also stops slower setters from setting up SR or other hazards. Finally, I opted for SR in this set, as t-spikes from Pex cover that notion. Heatran's Amazing typing, utility, and great moves give it a fearsome presence, and is the primary check for grass types like Bulu, walls like Chansey/Pex, steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn, just a smudge of the myriad of roles and actions Heatran can accomplish.

Greninja
Unknown-2.png

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

As my only form of speed control in this team, Greninja is a great boon. He hits hard enough to KO sweepers and/ or faster mons, and his vast array of coverage moves help him to do so. Seeing as Volcarona is a big problem for my team, I chose Rock Slide, a great option for OHKOing the Moth Demon before it sweeps. It also does suitable damage to non mega Gyarados, stopping it from destroying my team in a sweep. U-Turn acts as a helpful pivot move, I often through Gren out at the beginning of a match to check Lando or some other switch in and punish the opponents switch out with U-Turn. It also KOs other Greninja and AshNinja quotes well. Ice Beam is a great coverage move, hitting Lando for killing damage, and even OHKOs Kartana variants, which is useful especially against CS Kartana. Finally, Low Kick destroys Heatran, T-Tar, and other unfortunate weak-to-fighting switch ins. His main role is to take out sweepers and ko faster pokemon, and act as a solid revenge killer.

Tapu Bulu
Unknown-3.png

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu provides power and defense in one set. Thanks to the AV it can tank special hits and respond with powerful attacks. Horn Leech is boosted by Grassy Terrain and recovers health for Bulu. Wood Hammer is a much, much more powerful move that scores huge damage with the drawback of dealing recoil damage. Superpower nails steel types like Heatran and Ferrothorn on the switch in, and I opted for stone edge, as it is the only reliable way Bulu can hit Zapdos. Bulu greatly appreciates the t-spikes from Pex, and the resistances from Heatran. In return, both mons appreciate his ability to lower the damage of earthquake and give extra healing per turn. A decent Lando check, as well as a great check to all the other Tapus and a myriad of special attackers make Bulu the monster he is on this team.

Zygarde
Unknown-1.jpeg

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect

With great defensive abilities, and offensive pressure, a terrific stab move and a way to stall potential checks, he serves as the primary sweeper for the team. Substitute gives him a way to ease predicted switch ins. He can also get a dragon dance off behind one as well. Speaking of which, DD boosts his offensive capabilities, and is a very safe move to use. Thousand Arrows is one of, if not the best ground type moves in the game, capable of hitting flying targets like Zapdos and Celesteela. Finally, protect is great at, well, protecting him and scouting for moves. Another mon that great appreciates t-spikes, as it breaks down grass types for him, which is absolutely necessary for Zygarde, as it itself can't. Despite looking passive on paper, it is terrific at ruining an opponent's life when using him vs defensive and offensive teams alike.

Anyways, that's my team comp. I hope y'all give me some good feedback!

Really cool team. I would change greninja to a different scarfer, as you don’t really don’t need Volcarona insurance with your toxapex. I would recommend scarf lando, as it’s keeps greninja a pivoting abilities while being a better scarfer in general.
Unfourtanatley, I can’t suggest any more changes. Hopefully a better team rater can help you with that.

Really cool team. I would change greninja to a different scarfer, as you don’t really don’t need Volcarona insurance with your toxapex. I would recommend scarf lando, as it’s keeps greninja a pivoting abilities while being a better scarfer in general.
Unfourtanatley, I can’t suggest any more changes. Hopefully a better team rater can help you with that.
I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks for the advice!

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I'm not really sure about this. A lot of Volcarona run Psychicium-Z specifically for Toxapex.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey, I like the ideas you have going on here.

I'm a little unsure about the Tapu Bulu. You already have a Keldeo/Greninja check in Toxapex. I suppose it could work as a Koko check, but something like Excadrill or Ferrothorn works a lot better at that. There is nothing wrong with a Bulu on this team, however, since it benefits Zygarde, Pex and Tran. You don't have any Medicham switch ins, though, so a Defensive Mew may be something to consider. This one outspeeds Lando
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Earth Power
and this one outspeeds Zygarde
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Earth Power

Personally, I prefer Keldeo over Greninja here. It beats the same things you have mentioned plus more (albeit losing U-Turn advantage, but you could argue it's not necessary). If you wanna OHKO Volcarona, go with this set:
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
Calc:
Timid: 0- Atk Keldeo Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 280-332 (90 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Hasty/Naive: 0 Atk Keldeo Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 316-372 (101.6 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm not really sure about this. A lot of Volcarona run Psychicium-Z specifically for Toxapex.
In this case, he could run Payapa berry, which is actually pretty decent if you are super paranoid about Volcarona.
Also Tapu Bulu is actually great for this team. It is a great partner for Toxapex and Checks Tapu Koko, a big threat to toxapex and Torbadys. Tapu Bulu also acts as the teams main switch in to ground types. I would keep Bulu on the team as he already has a defogger, can revenge kill Medicham already, and Tapu Koko and Ground types like Zygarde are much more relevent than Medicham.

In this case, he could run Payapa berry, which is actually pretty decent if you are super paranoid about Volcarona.
Also Tapu Bulu is actually great for this team. It is a great partner for Toxapex and Checks Tapu Koko, a big threat to toxapex and Torbadys. Tapu Bulu also acts as the teams main switch in to ground types. I would keep Bulu on the team as he already has a defogger, can revenge kill Medicham already, and Tapu Koko and Ground types like Zygarde are much more relevent than Medicham.
I would have said te same, but between Heatran and Toxapex Volcarona is really not that much of an issue. This is true because very little Volcarona run both HP Ground and Psychic. Sorry I can't give a proper rate btw (on mobile), but I think Scarf Landorus-T might be the way to go.

Cool thanks guys! Really appreciate the help, I probably might switch Scarf Lando for scarf ninja. Mew is also a necessity, I have to ask if I were to go Mew which mon should I switch out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)