SM PU Bulky offense (w/ Froslass Spikes support)

Froslass @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Taunt

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

Oricorio-Sensu @ Leftovers
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Substitute

Froslass: Acting as a bulky spike setting, Froslass utilizes it's high speed to set spikes and stop other hazards and set up using Taunt. Spikes is to help chip and punish switch ins... Helping Primeape, Dodrio and Oricorio KO mons that would otherwise survive their assaults. Froslass in the primary speed blocker and defog stopper with it's ghost type and fast taunts to prevent the enemy team from removing rocks and spikes. Will-o-wisp and Hex act as a way to cripple physical attackers and dent bulkier mons thanks to the move synergy.

Primeape: Using Choice Band, Primeape is the physical wall breaker of the team. Using strong coverage with Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Gunk Shot, Primeape can punch wholes in defensive cores and make room for Dodrio and Oricorio to sweep by removing rock and steel types. Primeape acts as an offensive pivot with U-turn and as a second Defog pressure with Defiant.

Kabutops: The choice scarfer and hazard remover, Kabutops gives the team offensive pressure and revenge killing potential. Liquidation and Stone Edge act as strong dual stab to outspeed and ko powerful threats on the opposing side. Knock off support helps remove key items such as Eviolite for Clefairy, Scyther and Haunted as well as Leftovers for various walls. Kabutops is also the primary fire check, using it's typing to soak hits and pressure with it's stabs.

Metang: Metang is a physical tank and the team's rocker. Using it's high physical attack and eviolite boosted defense (alongside strong defensive typing), Metang pivots into offensive threats and pressures them with Meteor Mash and Earthquake combo. Toxic acts as a way to limit walls and tanks as well as empower Hex for Froslass. Metang is also the go to check for Fairies and Dragons as long as Eviolite is up and it is reletively healthy.

Dodrio: Swords Dance Sweeper and Z user for the team, Dodrio is there to clean up games once it's checks once they have been dealt with. Brave Bird with Flynium Z is used to ko teams after setting up while jump kick gives it a move to use on Steels and Rocks that would normally wall Brave Bird spam. Quick Attack acts as priority to pick off weak foes without risk of being outsped. Dodrio works alongside Oricorio as a switch in one ground coverage moves.

Oricorio-Ghost: Acting as a complementary Calm Mind sweeper, Oricorio uses it's stab combination to clean games alongside Dodrio. Sub is used to help prevent status moves and keep Oricorio alive longer with help from Leftovers. Oricorio acts as a second spin blocker and offensive pivot to fighting types like Hitmonchan and Gurdur.

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello and welcome to Smogon ExoGrim,

You have a pretty cool hyper offensive team going on here. Choice Band Primeape is a threat that doesn't see much use, not that is bad, it is just Primeape is typically chosen for its Choice Scarf set. Primeape on your team leaves you very weak to Alolan Sandslash as you have nothing on your team that can check it when it is at +2 speed as it then outpaces Choice Scarf Kabutops. Metang can live a hit but it can not KO in return while it can 2HKO Metang in return this leaves the rest of your team very vulnerable due to the lack of priority. You did a good job focusing on offensive synergy but there are some threats you have trouble dealing with. I certainly can help this team function quite a bit better.

--->

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch or Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Punch

I tried to make Primeape work on this team, but sadly I think your best option is to change to Hitmonchan as it helps with your weakness to fast threats such as Lycanroc, Alolan Sandslash in Hail, and Choice Scarf users such as Kabutops. Close Combat hits for harder damage if you wanted to go with that I think the bit of recovery you get back with Drain Punch is great, however. This Hitmonchan is here to break and not spin away hazards so just keeping Rapid Spin Kabutops should suffice, just be aware it has trouble spinning on common spinblockers like Sableye. Stone Edge hits Froslass and Flying-types while Thunder Punch is used to hit Jellicent which Hitmonchan and the rest of your team will appreciate very much.

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 80 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic ---> Bullet Punch

Just some minor changes for your Metang will help you a great deal. The 16 added speed EVs was taken from the attack EVs. It is for creeping other Metang as you have a tough time breaking it outside of Oricorio so outpacing it for a bit of chip is really nice. Toxic is a good move on Metang hitting stuff like Mudsdale and Quagsire but I feel you need to keep up the attacking pressure and this gives you a bit more priority. The main reason for running Bullet Punch would be for Aurorus as you don't have a reliable switch into it and getting major chip damage on it helps immensely with determining a win con.

--->

Shiinotic @ Choice Specs
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Spore

You are pretty weak to Guzzlord only having one reliable way of threatening it, being Hitmonchan. This gives you a solid pivot as well as a secondary breaker as this set is surprisingly hard to switch in to. Spore works here even with Choice Specs as it is just another way of keeping great offensive momentum. The standard Shiinotic runs bulk but max speed helps a lot in creeping Guzzlord and Regirock forcing more switches and raking up more damage on opposing teams. Dodrio was a fast threat for your team but overall but while your team kept the pressure up pretty well it was far from enough to not focus on any defensive utility. Dodrio was just another breaker or sweeper in a team full of them and with another Flying-type with better overall stall breaking capabilities it was easily the Pokemon to replace.

--->

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Your team is kind of weak to Skuntank and going with Oriocorio-Sensu just compounds on that. Oricorio-Pom-Pom does not spinblock but Froslass is really good at keeping its own hazards on the field, really it is without question the best Spike user in PU. That frees up Oricorio-Pom-Pom even more which does a much better job checking Gurdurr as now it is just a full on counter to it. This is a set of my own device, It sacrifices 4 speed EVs and runs U-turn + Calm Mind. This is super good role compression as it is a very solid offensive pivot and win con. The reason you cut back on speed is so it can pivot on other Oricorio-Pom-Pom. You should always be outpaced by opposing Oricorio which allows you to go for U-turn saffly bringing in Choice Scarf Kabutops this great team synergy in action here as it shows how two Pokemon can be used together to counter certain Pokemon and Strategies. U-turn on your Oriocorio is also great as it brings in Pokemon Hitmonchan and Shiinotic want to be on, like spdef Alolan Sandslash(Hitmonchan), Lanturn and Eelektross(Hitmonchan), and Regirock. It still has enough speed to outpace what it needs too, it is just important to be slower than other Oricorio to bring Kabutops in safely.

Team Changes and Final Thoughts.

Hello and welcome to Smogon ExoGrim,

You have a pretty cool hyper offensive team going on here. Choice Band Primeape is a threat that doesn't see much use, not that is bad, it is just Primeape is typically chosen for its Choice Scarf set. Primeape on your team leaves you very weak to Alolan Sandslash as you have nothing on your team that can check it when it is at +2 speed as it then outpaces Choice Scarf Kabutops. Metang can live a hit but it can not KO in return while it can 2HKO Metang in return this leaves the rest of your team very vulnerable due to the lack of priority. You did a good job focusing on offensive synergy but there are some threats you have trouble dealing with. I certainly can help this team function quite a bit better.

--->

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch or Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Punch

I tried to make Primeape work on this team, but sadly I think your best option is to change to Hitmonchan as it helps with your weakness to fast threats such as Lycanroc, Alolan Sandslash in Hail, and Choice Scarf users such as Kabutops. Close Combat hits for harder damage if you wanted to go with that I think the bit of recovery you get back with Drain Punch is great, however. This Hitmonchan is here to break and not spin away hazards so just keeping Rapid Spin Kabutops should suffice, just be aware it has trouble spinning on common spinblockers like Sableye. Stone Edge hits Froslass and Flying-types while Thunder Punch is used to hit Jellicent which Hitmonchan and the rest of your team will appreciate very much.

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 80 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic ---> Bullet Punch

Just some minor changes for your Metang will help you a great deal. The 16 added speed EVs was taken from the attack EVs. It is for creeping other Metang as you have a tough time breaking it outside of Oricorio so outpacing it for a bit of chip is really nice. Toxic is a good move on Metang hitting stuff like Mudsdale and Quagsire but I feel you need to keep up the attacking pressure and this gives you a bit more priority. The main reason for running Bullet Punch would be for Aurorus as you don't have a reliable switch into it and getting major chip damage on it helps immensely with determining a win con.

--->

Shiinotic @ Choice Specs
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Spore

You are pretty weak to Guzzlord only having one reliable way of threatening it, being Hitmonchan. This gives you a solid pivot as well as a secondary breaker as this set is surprisingly hard to switch in to. Spore works here even with Choice Specs as it is just another way of keeping great offensive momentum. The standard Shiinotic runs bulk but max speed helps a lot in creeping Guzzlord and Regirock forcing more switches and raking up more damage on opposing teams. Dodrio was a fast threat for your team but overall but while your team kept the pressure up pretty well it was far from enough to not focus on any defensive utility. Dodrio was just another breaker or sweeper in a team full of them and with another Flying-type with better overall stall breaking capabilities it was easily the Pokemon to replace.

--->

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Your team is kind of weak to Skuntank and going with Oriocorio-Sensu just compounds on that. Oricorio-Pom-Pom does not spinblock but Froslass is really good at keeping its own hazards on the field, really it is without question the best Spike user in PU. That frees up Oricorio-Pom-Pom even more which does a much better job checking Gurdurr as now it is just a full on counter to it. This is a set of my own device, It sacrifices 4 speed EVs and runs U-turn + Calm Mind. This is super good role compression as it is a very solid offensive pivot and win con. The reason you cut back on speed is so it can pivot on other Oricorio-Pom-Pom. You should always be outpaced by opposing Oricorio which allows you to go for U-turn saffly bringing in Choice Scarf Kabutops this great team synergy in action here as it shows how two Pokemon can be used together to counter certain Pokemon and Strategies. U-turn on your Oriocorio is also great as it brings in Pokemon Hitmonchan and Shiinotic want to be on, like spdef Alolan Sandslash(Hitmonchan), Lanturn and Eelektross(Hitmonchan), and Regirock. It still has enough speed to outpace what it needs too, it is just important to be slower than other Oricorio to bring Kabutops in safely.

Team Changes and Final Thoughts.
Thx man... I hadn't thought about Skuntank and Alolaslash when I made the team... Surprised by the banded Hitmonchan but it definitely does better thanks to drain and priority XD

I was searching for some up-to-date PU teams because aim is currently doing a series on the tier and I found your RMT. I played dozen of games with the changes ShuckleDeath suggested and I've been having loads of success climbing the ladder.

CB Iron Fist Mach Punch is amazing, it kills Omastar after Shell Smash. CM Oricorio is a solid wincon, like Zapdos it only has two weaknessess so tanking hits and setting up is easy. The priority Bullet Punch on Metang helps deal some chip for 'chan to get the kill.

Now the downsides/changes I would propose. Life Orb or similar on Shiinotic, getting locked into Spore is annoying if the opponent stays in to burn a turn of sleep.
Lack of Knock Off if Kabutops dies. A lot or mons are using Eviolite in this tier so getting rid of it helps with breaking the defence of the opponent.
Ice Beam over Hex on Froslass. Slower Dark types resist Hex after you've burned them with Wisp and Ice Beam seems to have better coverage overall. Mesprit can't do anything after Taunt anyway so chipping it with Hex is a waste of turns.

Overall solid team :blobthumbsup:

I was searching for some up-to-date PU teams because aim is currently doing a series on the tier and I found your RMT. I played dozen of games with the changes ShuckleDeath suggested and I've been having loads of success climbing the ladder.

CB Iron Fist Mach Punch is amazing, it kills Omastar after Shell Smash. CM Oricorio is a solid wincon, like Zapdos it only has two weaknessess so tanking hits and setting up is easy. The priority Bullet Punch on Metang helps deal some chip for 'chan to get the kill.

Now the downsides/changes I would propose. Life Orb or similar on Shiinotic, getting locked into Spore is annoying if the opponent stays in to burn a turn of sleep.
Lack of Knock Off if Kabutops dies. A lot or mons are using Eviolite in this tier so getting rid of it helps with breaking the defence of the opponent.
Ice Beam over Hex on Froslass. Slower Dark types resist Hex after you've burned them with Wisp and Ice Beam seems to have better coverage overall. Mesprit can't do anything after Taunt anyway so chipping it with Hex is a waste of turns.

Overall solid team :blobthumbsup:
Glad we could be of assistance... I'll look into those changes and see where I could add another knock off slot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)