XY OU Bulky Offense with a Weezing + Umbreon defensive core

I'm a big fan of trying to give pokemon that are often pushed aside as being 'unviable' or 'outclassed' a chance to shine in the current metagame. So I'm using a surprisingly strong Weezing + Umbreon defensive core, and a Clefable + Metagross offensive core. On top of that, I have Blastoise filling my mega slot to check opposing fire types (which I still have a huge problem with, halp), and rapid spin to support my team. I also have a sort-suicide lead Garchomp to set up rocks, but he actually does a great job dealing extra damage to the opposing team when he survives. I've just reached ~1320 with this team with no adjustments, so I figured it was about time to fix it up. So, onto the team:

Garchomp (M) @ Focus Sash Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is my pseudo-suicide lead. With a focus sash and 333 speed, it almost always can get rocks up and at least one attack. I lead with Garchomp when I see no potential defog/rapid spin users on the opposing team, and especially when I see a Talonflame/Charizard on the opponents team.

At the unfortunate cost of losing hazards from my team, rock slide is simply a better move on Garchomp. I used SR pretty much just for handling fire types (esp. Char and Talonflame), but Rock Slide handles them much better. Choice Scarf replaces Focus Sash turning Garchomp into more of a pivot/anti-lead.

Earthquake and Dragon Claw are there for obvious STAB, but I'm considering switching DC for Outrage. Fire Blast, though on a lot of Garchomp sets, always seems to surprise an opponent hazard lead lie Ferrothorn or Forretress, and I can easily rapid spin it away with Blastoise.

Blastoise-Mega (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Blastoise is my mega of choice, and provides me with a bulky rapid spinner who also brings a potent offensive prescence to the game. It's my main check for fire types, and also other offensive waters.

Water Pulse is solid STAB, with a helpful confusion chance. Dark Pulse and Ice Beam give it great coverage, and help me take care of Lati@s that switch in to defog and dragons, which I generally have difficulty countering.

Weezing (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stockpile
- Pain Split

Weezing and Clefable are two pokemon I am definitely not changing. I understand Weezing isn't the most 'OU' pokemon, but it is my favorite pokemon, and I believe in making your favorites work for you, even if others don't think they're viable. However, as some of the replays will show, Weezing is an absolutely legendary physical wall. It's my primary Talonflame counter, and pretty much any other physical attacker.

It destroys opponents with a burn followed by pain splits and stockpile set-ups. With 3 stockpiles, Weezing can take any pysical attack and most non-psychic special attacks.
Flamethrower is the coverage of choice, but I'm strongly considering changing it to Thunderbolt to help better deal with Talonflame. Thunderbolt stops me being walled by heatran and other flying types that plagued my team. This actually makes the set an incredible counter to Talonflame. This set is, unfortunately, totally
rekt by Heatran.

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

My primary special wall, that pairs really well with Weezing, covering each other's weaknesses. Unfortunately, Umbreon has 4MSS, having to forgo the Wish+Protect combo to support with Heal Bell, and Foul Play, while great against physical opponents, is useless against the special attackers it walls, having to rely on Toxic to damage opponents. Heatran, also, totally walls this set.

To be honest, Umbreon has severely underperformed compared to what I expected from it, and is often a dead-weight on my team. I'd like any advice replacing it with a more effective special wall, preferably not a pink blob. I love using Chansey in game, but it's just so annoying competitively imo, and I don't really want to use it.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Alright, so I gave in. It's undeniable Chansey performs Umbreon's job a LOT better. Wish Passes better, tanks hits better, and therefore is a better cleric. This is a pretty standard Chansey set, and it does what it does. I'd like to sneak Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave in there, but remove Toxic and it's walled by Ghosts, remove ST and it's walled by steel types. Gengar just reks it anyway.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD 152 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Metagross is my main physical attacker. With Assault Vest, it can tank a lot of special hits, and can even survive a STAB earthquake with that defense. It serves well as a revenge killer, and when unchecked, can remove a significant portion of the opponents team.

Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are standard STAB on Metagross, and Earthquake does well hitting fire types on the switch. Bullet Punch is great, revenge killing a lot of pokemon and murdering fairies. Due to my total lack of Grass/Electric moves on my team, leaving waters unchecked, I'm considering replacing a move with Thunder Punch.

New EV's are because Metagross doesn't really need extra SpD, that's what Assault Vest is for. The defense helps it tank some important hits, and the speed is to outspeed 40 Spe Heatran (I hate heatran, I have had to change something on almost all my mons just to deal with it)

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 252 Def / 252 SpA 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Moonlight

Clefable is my primary special attacker, destroying opponents with moon blast, and surprising a lot of steel switch-ins with Fire Blast. I find myself using Moonlight less than I should, and nearly never using Psychic, and I'm considering switching it for a coverage move, possibly something to help me deal with Fire types or Water types. Psychic was changed for Calm Mind, for setup purposes, and to give me a win condition. New EV's are to compensate for CM - Don't need SpA investment with CM, so I changed it to Def and put the last 4 in Speed cause why not, I might outspeed something.

Clefable is the only other pokemon I won't consider switching. It's been one of my favorites ever since that Clefairy episode aired when I was a kid. I will consider running a different set though.

Thanks for reading this, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: First replay with the adjusted team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-147744033
So far I like it :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't listen to a guy who said he was going to test the team and get back to you, and then 26 minutes later is saying the team is missing too much. I mean there isn't even an importable section here, so at least 5 of those 26 minutes were spent making the team on showdown.

lol

It doesnt take that long to make a team on pokemon online..... i was done in 5 mins im a pro player i just wasnt feeling the vibe of the team but if it works for him thats what matters

It doesnt take that long to make a team on pokemon online..... i was done in 5 mins im a pro player i just wasnt feeling the vibe of the team but if it works for him thats what matters
not to get in any argument or anything here since I have only been on the Smogon FORUMS since yesterday, but, you have not been on here long either. By "pro" what are you exactly alluding to? For example, what is your OU ranking currently on Showdown? :) Mine is fairly weak because I haven't laddered.

My rating is 1650 so I'll give some advice. First off, Outrage over Dragon Claw, since Garchomp is the suicide lead, he should be trying to do as much damage as possible before dying. Also try SD over Fire Blast because sometimes if the opposing team has a defogger/spinner, it's not a good idea to set up rocks and then die, because he'll just clear the hazards. I suggest Swords Dance because focus sash allows Garchomp to basically get a free boost no matter what, and he can do a ton of damage with the combination of Outrage and Earthquake. Next, your Clefable lacks good boosting moves. I would take out Psychic and put Calm Mind instead. It helps Clefable tank more hits and also after a few boosts can turn Clefable into a devastating sweeper. For Metagross, try 252 EVs in defense, since Metagross already is AVed it won't really need the extra special defense that much. I would also consider changing out Umbreon for specially defensive Heatran. It can also act as a status spreader with toxic and lava plume and can also phaze with roar. Ultimately though, I'd suggest Chansey but it seems you don't want to use it.
Good luck!

My rating is 1650 so I'll give some advice. First off, Outrage over Dragon Claw, since Garchomp is the suicide lead, he should be trying to do as much damage as possible before dying. Also try SD over Fire Blast because sometimes if the opposing team has a defogger/spinner, it's not a good idea to set up rocks and then die, because he'll just clear the hazards. I suggest Swords Dance because focus sash allows Garchomp to basically get a free boost no matter what, and he can do a ton of damage with the combination of Outrage and Earthquake. Next, your Clefable lacks good boosting moves. I would take out Psychic and put Calm Mind instead. It helps Clefable tank more hits and also after a few boosts can turn Clefable into a devastating sweeper. For Metagross, try 252 EVs in defense, since Metagross already is AVed it won't really need the extra special defense that much. I would also consider changing out Umbreon for specially defensive Heatran. It can also act as a status spreader with toxic and lava plume and can also phaze with roar. Ultimately though, I'd suggest Chansey but it seems you don't want to use it.
Good luck!
Thank you for some actual, constructive criticism. I actually think I will switch Umbreon out for Chansey, as much as I love it it just really doesn't pull it's weight. Honestly I'll try switching fire blast for swords dance, but it's so useful against so many opposing leads (ferrothorn, galvantua, forretress, froslass) that I just don't think I'll change it. Calm Mind is a great idea on clefable, and those EV's for metagross are a great idea (although it's already surprisingly physically tanky). Thank you!

Hi, nice team!
After playing for a little while, I have a couple of changes to suggest. For Clefable, you could run the ever popular Physical-Wall-Setup-Clefable. Also, you could consider running Flamethrower over Fire Blast for more accuracy. Secondly, I would suggest running Soft-Boiled over Moonlight for a guaranteed recovery, as Moonlight HP recovery depends on the weather.
As you are running Fire Blast and Flamethrower on Garchomp and Clefable, I would recommend changing Flamethrower to Clear Smog to stop setup sweepers.

Clefable @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe/SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Weezing (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stockpile
- Pain Split

Hope this helped :]

I also agree with switching umbreon for chansey, however if you really don't want to use chansey then you could try other pokemon first. I would suggest goodra as a special wall who is capable of hitting back hard but it seems you want wall that can provide team support, so what about florges? Florges can provide aromatherapy and wish support while also dealing damage with powerful moonblasts thanks to its great special attack stat. The grew thing about florges is that its special defence is so high, allowing you to change up the EVs and invest some in special attack ensuring you can dent things while still being an incredible cleric/special wall.

Ultimately though you won't find a better candidate than chansey. I'm sorry because I know you probably don't want to hear that but its true. Chansey is just so good at what it does. It walls special hits better than anything in the game and walls physical hits better than a lot of dedicated physical walls while being able to pass of gigantic wishes. It's also a fantastic status absorber even without heal bell thanks to natural cure. Chansey is basically the sole reason pokemon like florges and blissey are UU, it just outclasses them.
I hated chansey as much as you until I started using it. It's a fantastic member to any team and will surely fill the cleric/special defence wall better than any other pokemon. The only problem chansey faces is that it can't do much back except seismic toss, toxic or thunder wave. I would suggest seismic toss over toxic for things like heatran, but that leaves you completely walled by ghost types. It also puts you in a really bad position against things like mega scizor with swords dance and roost. I tend to prefer toxic most of the time though because it can cripple a lot of pokemon but it leaves you as total taunt bait.

The price you pay for being the best cleric and wall in the game is that you can't do much back and you will be walled by certain pokemon no matter what route you take, but I think that's a fair price for the incredible support chansey provides.

I always prefer T-wave, Wish, Protect and Seismic Toss, as t wave is just really helpful for crippling faster threats, and it does seem like your team has some trouble with faster threats like grenina (but chansey takes care of that).

I peaked 1696 on the ladder so I guess I can help, I usually lurk but this team looks decent on paper so I thought I'd provide some feedback.
Upon testing the team on an alt, I realized Mold Breaker users, especially the omnipresent Excadrill and common Mega-Gyarados, have a field day here. You only have one ground resist/immunity which is pretty problematic since Mold Breaker earthquakes will destroy Weezing, which holds together your team on the physical side. Excadrill especially can sweep through your offensive core and defensive core with little effort. Just something to be wary of.

As for Garchomp, I switched him from suicide lead to a pivot. It helps deal with fire-types, namely Heatran and Mega-Zard Y, and switched to this moveset:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

This lets you revenge kill most of the threats to your team, especially the dragons, Excadrills, Bisharps and Heatrans. Rock Slide lets you take out MegaZard Y if you switch into a Fire Blast (which is done easily by baiting it with Metagross) and Mega-Pinsir. Using the team I often ran it as an anti-lead, getting a lot of kills with its great coverage.

Also, I swapped out Umbreon for Blissey. You can use Chansey with the same set, but I prefer Blissey myself (they run the same sets so it doesn't really matter, it's down to preference).

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Stealth Rock/ Toxic

Hi this is a really interesting team but one thing that strikes me is a lack of speed. To remedy this I suggest giving Metagross Lefties instead of AV and replacing either Bullet Punch or Meteor Mash with Stealth Rock. Also I think Metagross should run either 64 ev's for uninvested speed heatran or 100 Ev's for 40 speed tran, this would ease your weakness to tran and replacing focus sash on Garchomp withchoice scarf to revenge kill things and clean up late game :). For Clefable I suggest running A Bold252Def/252 HP spread with calm mind instead of psychic and replacing moonlight with softboiled. This will give you another win condition and can be very hard to take down once Heatran is dead.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's really great! I've managed to fix something on almost every pokemon so far! I just don't have any feedback on Blastoise yet - is it fine as it is, or is there anything I should change? I feel like it's kinda Eh. I realised that when I was looking for a mega with Rapid Spin I overlooked things with Defog - now that I don't have SR on my team anymore though, I'm considering swapping Blastoise for Scizor. Is that a good idea?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's really great! I've managed to fix something on almost every pokemon so far! I just don't have any feedback on Blastoise yet - is it fine as it is, or is there anything I should change? I feel like it's kinda Eh. I realised that when I was looking for a mega with Rapid Spin I overlooked things with Defog - now that I don't have SR on my team anymore though, I'm considering swapping Blastoise for Scizor. Is that a good idea?
All of your team resist Rocks anyhow except for Chansey, so it's not that vital. The only problem would be the sticky web Smeargle, but those are rare.
You could try out Aura Sphere on Mega-Blastoise instead of Rapid Spin, which can land some huge damage on threats to your team who switch in thinking they're safe. It's also boosted by Mega-Launcher, for those who didn't know.

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 360-424 (92 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 260-308 (73.8 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 792-932 (291.1 - 342.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you really want Defog though, then I suppose you could try out Mega Scizor like you said.
A bulky defog version can win games after just one SD, and as your team is geared a lot better to removing those who wall it (Heatran and Talonflame come to mind).
You could try this set:
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Defog
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor / Defog

I like this set:
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off/Defog

Hi your team is coming on really nicely but I think you should keep mega blastoise as your team has a huge fire weakness if scizor is in its place. I also think you should ditch assault vest on your metagross and use lefties or air balloon instead as chansey is your special wall. This will allow you to use stealth rock instead of meteor mash which supports your team immensely by weakening switch ins. Your Chansey spread is also slightly inefficient IMO, its hp stat is huge and does not need any investment, if you run 252Def, 252SDef with a bold nature you will able to stall out some physical attackers as well as acting as an awesome special wall. Also if you replace mega-toise with scizor then you should probably replace metagross with earth power heatran. Hope this helps :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)