Bulky Rain Team for PU

I have been experimenting with rain teams in PU tier, and so far this is the best one I have come up with. The complete lack of solid pokemon with certain types makes rain pretty hard to pull off, but actually fairly viable. All rain teams follow a formula something like this, rain setter, swift swimmer, spA water attacker, steel/rock type, and pivots. This team is not really quite there but love to hear any opinions.

Regice @ Damp Rock
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
- Blizzard
- Flash Cannon
- Charge Beam
- Rain Dance
Regice is a super solid rain setter because it can tank any hit, do fair damage, and maybe even set up on their lead. It can continually keep coming back in and setting rain again. Damp rock is obvious, and max defense investments to make sure I live when I switch in to it. Tera steel just in case I get into trouble with ice or fairy types that are common in PU. Moveset has okay coverage and set up with charge beam.

Poliwrath @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Throat Chop
- Liquidation
- Focus Punch
- Drain Punch
The swift swimmer on the team, this thing absolutely rakes. When terad liquidated is doing insane damage do any defensive mon in PU. One shots counters like avalug and other defnsive common counters. No changes needed for this. Moveset is good, liguidation Stab and focus punch, a really good move, drain punch if I need some hp and throat chop for ghosts. I strongly advise you guys to put this on any PU rain team, it goes crazy. Max attack and speed are crazy with band.

Clawitzer @ Leftovers
Ability: Mega Launcher
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Flash Cannon
Clawitzers mega launcher is basically a legendary ability, Rain allows his surf to hit very hard wit surf. Tera ground for an electric immunity, leftovers because it can take a hit and regaining hp is really nice. I made it pretty bulky because its essential to live their attack on a slower team. Flash cannon for fairy, pulse for any other threatening dragon types, and heal pulse in case I am low and read a switch or something.

Probopass @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Def / 16 SpA / 240 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Pain Split
This thing actually is kind of goated. Easy switch in for anything getting out of hand on the opposing team, super bulky and hits surprisingly hard with Stab power gem and flash cannon. Destroys dragon and ice types, and tera rock can put an end to fire types too. This thing is criminally slept on. Pain split makes it super cheesy if its low and a new mon comes in on their team. This thing is actually extremely solid.

Bombirdier @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Rocky Payload
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Stone Edge
- Nasty Plot
The pivot or set-up mon on my team. Boots make sure the flying type isnt completely destroyed by spikes when it comes in and out, u-turn for utility, as it is a pivot, and to check the occasional psychic type poliwrath cant take care of. Stone edge goes completely stupid with the payload ability that makes rock type moves extra powerful. Dual wingbeat for stab damage, plot just in case I get a free setup. Tera flying for posible plot wingbeat sweep.

Dragonair @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Rush
- Flamethrower
The designated dragon type on this rain team. I tried appletun, but quickly realized he never put in work, and switched him for another mon who can take advantage of rain with high Atk and aqua tail and jet. Tera steel for any annoying fairy types that could counter this, flamethrower for coverage on appletun, avalug, and other common PU mons, rush for dragon Stab. Max investments in Atk and Spe just for hitting hard on a bulkier team with a little less of fast, hard hitting. Shed skin may come in useful but im not sure.

Anyways thanks for reading, would love any suggestions from experienced PU players, which I am definitely not one of. Thanks.

I have been experimenting with rain teams in PU tier, and so far this is the best one I have come up with. The complete lack of solid pokemon with certain types makes rain pretty hard to pull off, but actually fairly viable. All rain teams follow a formula something like this, rain setter, swift swimmer, spA water attacker, steel/rock type, and pivots. This team is not really quite there but love to hear any opinions.

Regice @ Damp Rock
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
- Blizzard
- Flash Cannon
- Charge Beam
- Rain Dance
Regice is a super solid rain setter because it can tank any hit, do fair damage, and maybe even set up on their lead. It can continually keep coming back in and setting rain again. Damp rock is obvious, and max defense investments to make sure I live when I switch in to it. Tera steel just in case I get into trouble with ice or fairy types that are common in PU. Moveset has okay coverage and set up with charge beam.

Poliwrath @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Throat Chop
- Liquidation
- Focus Punch
- Drain Punch
The swift swimmer on the team, this thing absolutely rakes. When terad liquidated is doing insane damage do any defensive mon in PU. One shots counters like avalug and other defnsive common counters. No changes needed for this. Moveset is good, liguidation Stab and focus punch, a really good move, drain punch if I need some hp and throat chop for ghosts. I strongly advise you guys to put this on any PU rain team, it goes crazy. Max attack and speed are crazy with band.

Clawitzer @ Leftovers
Ability: Mega Launcher
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Flash Cannon
Clawitzers mega launcher is basically a legendary ability, Rain allows his surf to hit very hard wit surf. Tera ground for an electric immunity, leftovers because it can take a hit and regaining hp is really nice. I made it pretty bulky because its essential to live their attack on a slower team. Flash cannon for fairy, pulse for any other threatening dragon types, and heal pulse in case I am low and read a switch or something.

Probopass @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Def / 16 SpA / 240 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Pain Split
This thing actually is kind of goated. Easy switch in for anything getting out of hand on the opposing team, super bulky and hits surprisingly hard with Stab power gem and flash cannon. Destroys dragon and ice types, and tera rock can put an end to fire types too. This thing is criminally slept on. Pain split makes it super cheesy if its low and a new mon comes in on their team. This thing is actually extremely solid.

Bombirdier @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Rocky Payload
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Stone Edge
- Nasty Plot
The pivot or set-up mon on my team. Boots make sure the flying type isnt completely destroyed by spikes when it comes in and out, u-turn for utility, as it is a pivot, and to check the occasional psychic type poliwrath cant take care of. Stone edge goes completely stupid with the payload ability that makes rock type moves extra powerful. Dual wingbeat for stab damage, plot just in case I get a free setup. Tera flying for posible plot wingbeat sweep.

Dragonair @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Rush
- Flamethrower
The designated dragon type on this rain team. I tried appletun, but quickly realized he never put in work, and switched him for another mon who can take advantage of rain with high Atk and aqua tail and jet. Tera steel for any annoying fairy types that could counter this, flamethrower for coverage on appletun, avalug, and other common PU mons, rush for dragon Stab. Max investments in Atk and Spe just for hitting hard on a bulkier team with a little less of fast, hard hitting. Shed skin may come in useful but im not sure.

Anyways thanks for reading, would love any suggestions from experienced PU players, which I am definitely not one of. Thanks.
Dragon rush? flamethrower for a rain team? btw flame is never doing any actual damage to appletun as its thick fat will make it take like no damage.

Heal pulse in singles, never cook again. unless you are healing your opponents with funbro (that thing is banned)

what is nasty plot on a pokemon with no special attacks? and bombirdier could never reasonably go mixed.

I dunno about probopass tho...

focus punch: ???

Your defensive pokemon have no hp investment, like why.

i dunno about rain in Pu, but i think anybody with experience in any tier knows that the moves and evs on your team has no good reasoning and is suboptimal at best

Edit: is there something wrong with my logic, folks?

Last edited:

Bella

I'm just a waste of your time
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I play PU and rate it on the Smogon Discord.

I'm going to be honest with you; this may be the worst PU team I've ever seen, to the point where i literally cannot salvage this at all.

No Volbeat or Illumise for primary rain dance setters who will always get a dance off + U-turn? Choice Band Poli and not Belly Drum Poli? Clawitzer set that is god awful, and no Golduck? Probo, Bird, and Dragonair, all with extremely weird sets (Physical NP? Really?) and even then none of them are that good right now? EVs that are totally random / not used at all? Weird moves (Dragon Rush, Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, Paain Split, Heal Pulse, Surf, Focus Punch, Charge Beam?) that make no sense at all?

It's clear to me your not entirely sure how you build competitive Pokemon. And that's ok! I would advise checking out a few resources to help you out...

SV PU Sample Teams - They are all been extremely tested teams and are solid, and can show you what an average PU team rn looks like.
An introduction to competitive Pokémon
Getting started with Competitive Battling
Both of these articles are great with helping a new player understand how to build and how to play competitive Pokemon. i think a read would help you alot.

Don't let this discourage you from playing PU, by the way! We all have to start somewhere and i wish you the best of luck on your Journey!

Dragon rush? flamethrower for a rain team? btw flame is never doing any actual damage to appletun as its thick fat will make it take like no damage.

Heal pulse in singles, never cook again. unless you are healing your opponents with funbro (that thing is banned)

what is nasty plot on a pokemon with no special attacks? and bombirdier could never reasonably go mixed.

I dunno about probopass tho...

focus punch: ???

Your defensive pokemon have no hp investment, like why.

i dunno about rain in Pu, but i think anybody with experience in any tier knows that the moves and evs on your team has no good reasoning and is suboptimal at best

Edit: is there something wrong with my logic, folks?
This is what i get for building a pu team for the first time with pokemon i have never ever used before
Btw the team cooks with only changes to bombirdier and change if rain setter And no heal pulse
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-2040674349

Last edited:
This is what i get for building a pu team for the first time with pokemon i have never ever used before
Btw the team cooks with only changes to bombirdier and change if rain setter And no heal pulse
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-2040674349
The only cooking you did is getting 2 koes with Poliwrath at the start. It's not proving anything. Try doing the same against someone that actually knows how to counter it, or on a higher ladder.

The only cooking you did is getting 2 koes with Poliwrath at the start. It's not proving anything. Try doing the same against someone that actually knows how to counter it, or on a higher ladder.
bro i dont play PU cool your jets buddy. Its proving that Poliwrath cooks in low ladder and against people that cant counter it, although im sure because you are a pokemon grand master you could do it easily.

bro i dont play PU cool your jets buddy. Its proving that Poliwrath cooks in low ladder and against people that cant counter it, although im sure because you are a pokemon grand master you could do it easily.
I'd never use a rain team (unless it's really a solid one) even on mid ladder. But I suppose I'm not the one who needs to be reassured that his "plays" are great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)