Gen 4 Burn Into the Midnight [Peaked #1]

Introduction

My first foray into Competitive Pokemon happened around the time of the Mence/Latias ban, and so I've always wanted to know just what was it like spamming Draco Meteors with Specs Latias in the DPP meta. As such, this team originally started off as a Draco spam team, with Lead Dragonite / Kingdra / Latias taking turns clicking Draco after Draco. It was mildly successful (peaked around 1500 on the ladder), but the team had some glaring issues; I had a lot of trouble dealing with Rachi, Blissey, and bulky waters with recovery that could tank the shower of Draco Meteors. Eventually, I replaced Dragonite with Infernape to add a fire STAB for Rachi, extra insurance vs. Blissey, and some much needed speed to the team. I also got rid of the cheesy band Heracross set I had been using and replaced it with a much more sane pick in Lucario.

With that, the team looked a lot less kooky and a bit more solid, and so the team was complete. Yeah, nothing unique here. Sorry!

The main goal of this team is to bust open holes into the opponent's team, trading down with favourable trades, and eventually generating enough offensive momentum to break through with any of its offensive threats. With that out of the way, let's take a look at the team:

The Team

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot

Infernape is a no-nonsense offensive lead that generates pressure right from the get-go. Fake Out is an obvious choice for breaking sashes, and despite its shaky accuracy Fire Blast is necessary to deal massive damage, especially when in Blaze. Close Combat is there for a secondary STAB and Grass Knot rounds out the set, letting me surprise Swampert and deal heavy damage to Suicune, who is a major threat to this team. Stealth Rock is omitted because Ape would almost always rather be attacking than spending a turn getting rocks up, and Bronzong is so reliable at getting them up anyways. Against Ape's losing matchups like Hippowdon or the rare Aerodactyl, I'm able to pivot safely into Bronzong.

Generally speaking, I like to preserve Infernape if possible, keeping it in the back as a wallbreaker / late game cleaner should the need arise. However, winning the lead matchup is priority #1, and as long as it has inflicted some type of damage onto the opposing team, I'm usually fine letting it go.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 112 Def
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Bronzong serves as a bulky pivot and is a real glue Pokemon for this team. Stealth Rock is an obvious choice to take advantage of all the free turns that he generates, and the Brave Nature and Atk EVs lets him smack fast offensive pokemon extremely hard with Gyro Ball, keeping up the offense. Explosion is a solid panic button that allows this team to get out of some sticky situations against Dragon Dancers, which this team otherwise struggles with due to its lack of a fast scarfer It also lets me just trade down in general. And while a little shaky, Zong is also my team's best answer to Jirachi, tanking hits and allowing me to get back momentum against most sets.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor

Kingdra is a Pokemon that I never truly appreciated until the early days of Gen 5, where Specs Kingdra was running rampant, outspeeding the whole metagame and decimating teams with its strong rain + specs boosted Hydros and Surfs. While this set is not quite as scary, it still serves as a strong wallbreaker, breaking holes into the enemy team if given the chance to setup rain, which it often gets to given its amazing typing and decent bulk. It's also my best answer against fire types, and lets my pivot into waters without putting Latias at risk to Pursuit.

176 Speed EVs allows Kingdra to hit 500 Speed in rain, outspeeding Scarf Garchomp speed creep and randomly get the jump on Pokemon that are in that 245 Jolly TTar speed tier, without sacrificing too much bulk. Outspeeding Scarf Latias would be nice but it really hasn't been an issue, and the extra bulk has definitely helped in certain clutch situations.

To be honest, Kingdra's slot is the one that I'm the most iffy about. It fulfills the role of offensive water decently, and destroys / serves as a win-con against certain matchups, but in other matchups it often falls short and is usually relegated to being a sacc / clicking one Surf before fainting. The matchups where it does do well in feels a little win-more, unnecessarily skewing matchups that I was probably already favoured in.

Latias @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

I started really getting into Competitive Pokemon right after the Mence/Latias ban, so I've always felt like I missed out on abusing Latias's immensely powerful Draco Meteors. Thankfully, the powers that be decided that it was due to a retest, and I must say, using Specs Latias is just as fun as my younger self thought it would be. Draco Meteor is obligatory for the massive damage it can cause, making Latias incredibly difficult to switch into, and Dragon Pulse is a nice secondary move that's deceptively powerful while being 100% accurate and having no drawback. Surf is necessary for hitting stuff like Heatran/Ttar and grounds-types without having to resort to Draco, and Thunderbolt is there to take on bulky waters who give this team a massive headache when played well.

I've considered moving some Speed EVs into bulk to help tank hits better, but getting the tie on Gengar / opposing Latias has been gamewinning. Trick is also an option to help improve the matchup against stall, but having two fighting types means this team is usually more than capable of taking advantage of Blissey / Clefable.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

ScarfTtar is another tool that I'd heard about from the pre-Salamence/Latias days as the primary Latias check. Now that Latias is back (and Dugtrio is banned), I decided to bust out this old relic again, and man it does not disappoint. Pursuit is invaluable, allowing me to eliminate Ghosts/Psychics and trade down to a favourable endgame where Lucario is in a prime position to sweep. Crunch is necessary to force 50-50 mind games with stuff like bulky Rotom-A. Earthquake > Superpower to take out weakened Rachi, and also doubles as a way to take out SD Luke. Stone Edge is the rock STAB move of choice, as the added power is necessary to threaten Zapdos / Bulky Gyara.

Unfortunately, locking into Pursuit means that Ttar often becomes setup bait for some problematic Pokemon, and with a scarf equipped its offenses are a little lacking. However, its unparalleled ability to take out Latias / Rotom-A / Gengar makes it hard to find a suitable replacement for this dark and edgy dino-dude.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch / Crunch / Stone Edge

Burn... the amount of teams that are unprepared for this absolue unit despite it being the year of our lord 2020 is insane. Luke is able to take advantage of choiced dragon (Latias / Flygon) and dark (Ttar) moves, setup a Swords Dance, and proceed to cleave its way through teams. I like to play Luke fairly aggressively early on, getting it in via double switches, trading LO recoil to get off a strong hit, and luring in Ghosts/Psychics for Ttar to trap in the process.

Thunder Punch is the coverage move of choice here, mainly because it allows me to fry bulky Gyara, which this team otherwise has trouble breaking. Not being able to touch Rotom-A at all is of course annoying, which is why Crunch is slashed on the set (and is actually what I used for most of my ladder run). However, given how capable Ttar is at removing Rotom-A, and given how annoying Gyara is otherwise, I think having Thunder Punch is worth it. Stone Edge is a move that I've theorymonned, but haven't run because of it's shaky accuracy. I can see it being useful, covering both Gyara and Bulky Zapdos while also hitting Rotom-A, but I just haven't had enough reason to use it.

Major Threats

In an earlier version of this team, I ran a Banded Heracross with Megahorn / Close Combat / Sleep Talk just to take advantage of Breloom, but the benefits that Luke brought to the table were too much that I made the switch. With Luke > Hera, Breloom is now a massive threat to this team. This thing heavily punishes Bronzong / Ttar and is basically guaranteed to put a Poke out of commission for the whole game thanks to spore. Mach Punch makes it even more of a threat, as it is able to threaten Ttar and Lucario if it isn't in range of Extremespeed. Unfortunately, I really don't think there's an easy band-aid solution to patch up this team's Breloom weakness, and in games I end up just having to play around it.

One DD = GG if Bronzong is weakened. Once Bronzong is down, Rocks + Sand Chip + Priority is the only real way to deal with these threats, so I'm doubly screwed if the DDer in question is holding Leftovers or I don't have rocks up. Kingdra can take a hit from Gyara at least, and Draco + ExtremeSpeed with Luke will kill, but with Draco Miss and Gyara holding Leftovers, if I don't have sand up the odds are still not great. To be honest, DD Gyara running Ice Fang is the main reason why I'm considering moving Speed EVs from Latias into bulk.

Ttar is probably the scariest of the bunch; he's able to setup on my Scarf Ttar, resist all my priority, is immune to sandstorm, and destroys my entire team. Thankfully rather rare.

Bulky Waters with recovery are the absolute worst. The only Pokemon on this team that have the firepower to take out these mons are Luke and Latias; Luke I'd like to keep healthy in the back for a late game sweep, and Latias has to lock herself into Thunderbolt, which makes for the most free Ttar switch ever. Infernape can do a sizable amount to Suicune with Grass Knot, but that usually comes at the cost of his life. I generally have to Boom on these threats which is really awkward, since Bronzong is my main defensive pivot, and if the opponent predicts the Boom correctly I have even less options.

Conclusion

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading! I had a real blast piloting this team and it really reminded me of my Shoddy Battle days. I have fond memories of theorycrafting teams at school and coming home after to test those teams on the ladder and let off steam. Looking back, I have to admit I didn't really know what I was doing back then, but it was fun nonetheless. Hitting #1 on the ladder has been a long-term goal of mine for... about a decade *shudders*, and while the Gen 4 ladder may not be as competitive as it was back when DPP was the main gen, as a casual battler I'm still pretty proud of this achievement. I think I'm done for a while, but who knows when I'll get the itch to ladder and teambuild again.

While it ended up turning into a pretty cookie cutter offense team, I'm happy I was able to take it this far. However, it's definitely not without its flaws and could use some fine tuning. Hopefully someone can take some of the concepts presented in this team and put them to good use.

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hi there, nice offensive team.

For an easy fix for the Breloom weakness, you could throw sleep talk on Latias over either surf or thunderbolt. Draco/pulse/surf/talk is the standard, but you do have Lucario to set up on choice locked Tyranitar revenging Latias, and I understand your concern about bulky waters, so I could understand if you were to drop surf. However, this still leaves you quite weak to dragon dancers, so I'm not sure if it is the way to go.

To address the bulky water concern, you could change Kingdra to a classic DD rest set. With a 4x resist to water moves, and recovery to heal off status, this set is one of the best ways to take advantage of bulky waters in the tier. King needs a minimum of 164 or 168 speed to outrun flygon, but the rest of the spread is up to you. Max atk is an option for deceptively powerful outrages, or the classic smogon set with 144 hp/40 spdef is still serviceable (survives two LO starmie attacks/+1 cune ibeams). The item choice is also up to you; a chesto berry allows you to ensure you have the berry available for your rest without getting used up by a stray toxic/wisp, or a lum berry can allow you to heal those off but makes rest pretty worthless afterwards. Lum has the bonus of healing outrage confusion. Imo, lum works better with an offensive spread, and chesto with the defensive one. The berry can also help switch into a spore from breloom and hit with a quick outrage.

Kingdra sets:
Kingdra @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
------------------------------------------------------
Kingdra @ Lum Berry
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Rest

Saving the biggest problem for last, your DD mon weakness looks pretty brutal. There isn't much easier set up bait than a scarftar locked into pursuit, and your only real check is a perfectly healthy bronzong, which can even have its explosion baited. I think you would heavily benefit from a (real) scarfer. I think you have a few options here. You could convert Latias to a scarf set, although you lose a lot of power. You could change nape to a scarf set, although I am a fan of the momentum your set provides right off the bat. A third option would be forgoing a scarfer altogether, and changing tar's set to something a little less vulnerable to setup - possibly a passho set with stone edge to prevent setup after trapping latias/rotom. This might also help somewhat with the breloom problem, as you can occasionally surprise it with a fast fire blast to put it into sand range. Personally, I think your best option might be scarfing latias - it is still a dangerous sweeper, and it is one of the best checks to DD mons in the game. Thunder wave can help slow down surprise mons that it can't revenge, like scarf rachi. You are also free to drop speed to around scarf flygon to get that little bit of extra bulk you were looking for.

Latias set
Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Thunder Wave/Surf/Healing Wish/Filler

Finally I'd change the last move on luke. Thunderpunch is incredibly specific and won't see much use many games. If you insist on the coverage for gyara, I'd use stone edge, but with the recommended changes I'd use a simpler move such as crunch (consider a jolly nature, to outrun 298 speed rotom), or bullet punch if Latias' thunder wave isn't enough to cover DDtar. Bullet punch would also work nicely if you choose to change tyranitar's set instead of latias, helping revenge gengar.

Recommended changes:
Kingdra -> Lum DD
Latias -> Scarf
Lucario -> 4th move crunch

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful suggestions! Changing Kingdra's set to DD Rest to help handle bulky waters is definitely a sensible decision, even if I feel bad about losing the power of a rain boosted LO Hydro. I'm a bit hesitant to take off Latias's Specs, but this team's DDer problem is probably big enough to make the change, and it lets me tank / aggresively explode with Zong to break without being worried about a DDer in the back.

I'll make sure to playtest these changes and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Hello there, congratulations on peaking N°1!

Now then,
ScarfTtar is another tool that I'd heard about from the pre-Salamence/Latias days as the primary Latias check.
Yes, SpecsLatias and Scarftar were also very common together, the difference though, was that most of the time were paired with a Spikes user (SdefSkarmory or the rarer Forretress/lead Smeargle, sdef spikes Roserade was illegal with Sleep Powder, and only became used after Latias and Salamence's ban, as a great answer for Shaymin, Suicune, Starmie and others.), as those pretty much fucked up all Latias checks, Latias was also a great pivot for Starmie (at the time leftovers was very rare, so you could pivot from Latias to Scarftar at the Ice Beam, and finish the spinner) you don't have them here, so I would strongly suggest you to run Scarf latias, as Gary suggested, one thing though, while it may seem counterproductive on your Bronzong, if you decide to run Trick and Draco Meteor, you really need Thunder Wave, as the last move, from the way you type, it's notable that you have experience in DPPt, a paranoid might even think you're an alt, but I'll write it all the same to avoid any potential confusion, or for anyone that hasn't played DPPt before looking for some teams on RMT to play and learn it, Healing Wish works differently in DPPt than it does in Gen 5-8, as a matter of fact, during the time the generation was "alive" nobody used that move, even when stuff like Shaymin suddenly had a surge in usage after Latias and Mence ban, and that's because, the opponent can attack your fully recovered 'mon in that very same turn you use Healing Wish, Latias also happens to be very fast, so yeah.

Thunder Wave gives Latias a last resort if you no longer have the Scarf, and you're like at -2 due to Draco, to avoid giving setup to some of these 'mons, the debate between Surf vs Tbolt, is your choice, I prefer Surf, but Tbolt can help you vs Empoleon.

Here's the thing, I really don't like your Kingdra, it's an offensive water type that dies to Explosion Heatran before it can hit it, or even the rarer dpulse, same regarding Chesto Kingdra, that ev spread is quite old, 10 years and some months old, it was created on a time where Tyranitar wasn't on every team, and it basically allows you to tank 2 +1Ibeam from Suicune/Orbmie after rocks, and setup on it, sandstorm excluded, that is.

Have you, instead, considered just running Offensive Suicune over Kingdra?
Offensive Suicune allows you to outspeed and kill Heatran, Breloom, Gyarados, bring DDTar to the range of everything else on your team, Dragonite, all of them are surpassed at +0 (unlike kingdra), and Suicune has some natural bulk to tank some hits, can help you lure in/sometimes even beat Rotom-A, so that Tyranitar can finish the job, on, helping your Lucario sweep later on. Speaking of it, with these changes ThunderPunch can be removed, I'm even extremely tempted to suggest you Bullet Punch, it was sometimes used alongside Espeed back then, in order to stop Superpower Scarftar from blocking Lucario's sweep, it's also another insurance against DDTtar, but it's up to you, if you want more insurance against Rotom-A or Bullet, Stone Edge, I suppose you could try it, but yeah, it's a shit move due to accuracy, also, don't expect to outspeed Zapdos, unless you're facing a low effort max hp max def version.

Finally, change the ivs on Bronzong, Gyro Ball like that does not hurt that much, you need 12 Speed Ivs, in order to 2hko Scarftom under Sand, but honestly, I would just give it Macho Brace on your Bronzong, it has lots of nifty stuff, like now, you're suddenly able to ohko SpecsLatias with Gyro ball with rocks and sand calced in. a chance to directly Ohko Flygon with rocks, Kill 'Nite after SR, CBTar after SR, also does a lot against Non-scarf versions of Rotom that switch on you expecting Explosion (basically dies to TTar or Cune then) and others I don't remember right now.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Bronzong @ Macho Brace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 4 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch/Crunch
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat

Take care, and enjoy DPPt!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)